Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
My clubs last autocross of the season is this weekend and then after that is rally-x season until the ice forms. Our rally-x's are usually done with $300 beater cars, but sadly craigslist has been pretty barren of those lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Buy a $1000 car and sell off expensive parts that normal people want. Like headliners. Interior. Dome lights.

Windows.

I'll probably do it, but I usually like keeping the car if it survives to do ice racing during this upcoming winter.

I bought this sentra for $300 rallied it and then ice raced it. It sadly died after I accidently hit a large ice jump at 40mph.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Crustashio posted:

Ever consider getting people to pitch in? About the cheapest subaru you can get with a valid inspection sticker here is 1500 so I'm trying to convince friends to go in on it. Share the parts/labour then when summer comes try to resell it.

It'd be so much easier if someone had a trailer though, our RallyX club pretty much couldn't give a poo poo what you drive as long as the frame is in decent shape.

That's pretty much the plan. Here in central Wisconsin we don't have inspection of any kind so most cars get run into the ground/rust into nothing. It's hard to find anything in decent shape for under even 2,000. We do have a lead on a Crown Vic however.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

destructo posted:

What, I thought Shane was the only one of us on MNAutox.

I have always been meaning to head over to Minnesota and do a autocross hosted by you guys. However, there are like 6+ different clubs that run autox's in WI so basically every weekend I could just go to a autox somewhere in WI.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Crustashio posted:

Is there a ever a compelling argument to NOT use PAX for timing? Our region has a comically low amount of cars (30 is a GOOD event) so the SCCA classing pretty much means you run against yourself unless you bump up classes.

Our new timing system now does PAX automatically but they still seem hesitant to adopt it, ever for a seperate PAX championship in addition to the class specific and overall points champions. I guess it bugs me more because nobody in the region runs STU or BSP, so next year I'll be running SM against much better cars and drivers. But I'd rather be in the bottom of a full class then get 13 points for being able to park my car in a stopbox.

30 cars? Where do you live? That's the kind of numbers Upper Michigan SCCA gets for autox.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

Now the real debate... Tires. I was planning on Dunlop Z2's, but apparently the BFG G-force rival is faster. Tire size is 205/50/15, and tire rack has them priced close enough to take price out of the equation...

BFG said they are "faster" than the Z2's. I'd take that information with a big grain of salt.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

Andy Hollis is saying they're faster, ~ 1 second around a ~2 minute course, so not much.

They're stated at 7/32, but measurements have them at ~.23", and 7/32 = .21875, so they should be legal. They're closer to 15/64ths than 7/32nds, but closer to 7/32 than 8/32, which is likely why they're listed at 7/32.

If Andy Hollis (who I believe) was only able to get 1 second off of a ~2 minute course and considering the info I've heard that BFG has only gotten their hands on 1 set of Z2s to test against the Rival it's looking real hard to state for sure that the new Rival is a true star spec z2 "killer". With all that said it'll be real interesting how things play out for this upcoming season. I had a friend that went to BFGs tire test down in NOLA. BFG didn't even bring star spec z1's to do a comparison with. Here is his blog post about it: http://blog.365racing.net/2013/01/22/the-bfgoodrich-rival-street-tire-review-at-nola-motorsports-park/

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Looks like SCCA wants to really change things around. Specifically changing the "Stock" classes into "Street" classes.

Here are some snippets:

quote:

The section likely to get the most attention in the proposal is 13.3, Tires. The proposal would set a 2014 treadwear minimum of 140 and a 2015 minimum of 200. Part of the logic behind this is reducing cost per run. Some will claim that testing and optimizing 200+ treadwear tires will be just as costly as current R-Compound tires. There will always be a faction of our sport that will invest heavily in achieving the greatest pace and it is possible that the treadwear limitations will not result in significant savings for them. However, for the average competitor, the per run cost of autocrossing would be greatly reduced with the higher treadwear ratings as the number of on pace competition runs a tire could produce would meaningfully increase.

quote:

In all of this the Board also decided it was time to move past the name Stock and adopt “Street,” as Stock was no longer reflective of the level of preparation in the category.

http://www.solomatters.com/2013/03/street-catagory-proposal-explained/

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Phone posted:

Stock class? Like the ones with 32-way Ohlins, Hoosier A6s, and the biggest FSB you can find?

I had a great time in my "F-stock" 99 Mustang Cobra running A6s. I'd typically destroy my class and the rest of the stock classes and make a lot of EVO and WRX owners mad when I would run a faster time. So I can see where the SCCA is coming from and I approve of the changes they are proposing.

I just think they are brushing aside the fact that recession really put racing in a lot of people's minds on the back burner. Here in the upper midwest I don't necessarily think this will lead to a lot of newbies coming in, but people who have autox'ed in the past that might now autox again.

I know a guy that sells me take offs of A6/R6s/R-comps with around 70% treadwear left for $200ish. (It's awesome.)

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Sadi posted:

I know flat spotting. This is a solid ring around the inside perimeter. The wheels were apparently still rotating. Ill post pics when I can.

As for air pressure, I was bad and didnt check but it was likely lowish because I only use them for autocross and had just done my first front to rear rotation. I wasnt super concerned with setting a good time due to the amount of water coming down. I was more looking to have a good time and learn the dynamics in heavy wet. I wouldn't have been surprised to see something like this if it were hot out, but it was 45 tops, pouring rain, and windy.

A picture would be helpful for everyone.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I find this whole thing hilarious. I just ordered brand new RS3's and got them on the 3rd. Looks like my 140TW tires are now magically 200TW tires. It'll be interesting to see what Hoosier does now as well.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Muffinpox posted:

SCCA does some different configurations but they also only get in 3-4 runs for an 8-9hour day.

I was talking to some older guys and they asked me why people my age (mid twenties) aren't really showing up for SCCA autox events in my area. I told them that getting 3-4 runs in 8+ hours isn't a lot of fun and there are other clubs out there that offer 8+ runs in a shorter day. They looked at me like I had grown another head.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Apparently the new Rivals are having thread splice issues already.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On what cars? I really think the Rival would be a good upgrade path from my RS3s when my vaporization of them is complete.

Looks like a Intrega Type-R (STX), a Miata (Stock 1.6 car with minimal mods and -2.3 camber in that corner. Splice is all the way across.), and a Civic (HS). I think there are a couple more out there as well.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
What have you done to the 240sx in the way of suspension and powertrain?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
This weekend was the first autocross of the year and 53 people showed up.
I got my first FTD and I won on PAX as well. It was my first autox with my ASP STi on RS3's. I had some stiff competition with another ASP STi on E85 and running on brand new V710s. There was also a awesome Datsun 510 with a ecotec in it that was fast. A couple of people managed to take pictures of me three wheeling too!

All my passes were clean and cone free as well.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

MiniFoo posted:

Thought about signing up for the first autox of this season this Saturday, but then remembered I still need to get an alignment and the guy I want to go to will probably be swamped with customers making adjustments beforehand. Also, there's over a hundred participants registered already. No thanks.

Is it with MAC? They always seem to have big numbers.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

mdk posted:

Hey, I was at this event (with the blue Z), that was a fun track.

I saw you there. Are you going to show up for the next FVSCC event that's at Shawano USAIR on June 8th?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

mdk posted:

Assuming its dry, I have a brand new set of rs3's to tear up :getin:

I really like the RS3s. They have taken my abuse very well and are priced pretty well compared to the ZII and the Rival. I've managed to get over 4+ hours worth of lapping days at three different tracks and a couple of Autox's out of them and they aren't to terribly worn. I'll be there for sure rain or shine and then possibly driving up to the UP for a UPSCCA Autox on sunday.

I managed a 1.13.07 for a timed flying lap earlier this spring at USAIR, so I'm pretty excited to see what the STi can do at a Autox there.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Welcome to meth in rubber form. This weekend I dominated 1st overall Street Prepared classes, finished second in Raw and in Pax. I was beaten by a XP prepped Datsun 510 with a Ecotec/cage/coilovers and it had lexan windows/windshield. It's funny being only slightly bested by a full on race car while driving a under prepped STi in ASP on street tires.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
What R-comps do you have?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Brigdh posted:

Yikes, you swap a rotary in there? :)

The safety steward in me cringes at the sight of the passenger with his arm outside of the vehicle though.

He has Twin Turbos in there. :getin:

That race track throws you around pretty hard as a passenger so most people brace as much as possible. I know a lot of people who get motion sick while riding shotgun on that track and don't get sick anywhere else.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Brigdh posted:

I really don't see that as a valid excuse. I'd argue its plenty easy to brace yourself without having to stick your arm out and use the exterior as a brace point. Grabbing door handles, pressing hard against the floor, and forcing the seat belt to lock up would all be better methods. If for some unlikely reason the car rolls (and I've seen lower cars than that go up on two wheels), the natural reaction of the passenger will be to put his hand out to catch his "fall", which will be a good way to lose that arm.

I know it's not a valid excuse. I'm just explaining why that person did it, I'm not defending the action. I wasn't there Sunday.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
^ That's my good buddy Shampooo.

He is also responsible for the contents of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487zyzzPdAc

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I've always had a ton of fun at night autoxs. What is Arizona's Autox schedule like? Do you guys schedule a lot of events in the fall/winter and less events in the heat of the summer?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
If there are more than 50+ people I think it's silly to make people work both heats. The local autox clubs that I drive with easily do 8/10+ runs with fun runs afterwards with 50+ people regularly attending. Organization is key and making half the people switch to corner working every heat just delays things even more. Corner worker switch over really shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. Any more you are just wasting time.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

User Error posted:

Didn't a bunch of Integra Type R's get successfully protested over some gasket on the airbox that doesn't fit right with the K&N filter they were running?

Yes, I think it was at Nationals too.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Chriskory posted:

Andy Hollis ITT

Andy slammed the trunk and the wing caught his face

His CRX is just insane.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I started off AutoX in a F-stock 99 SVT Cobra and eventually moved from street ties to Hoosier A6s. I was pretty untouchable in FS with A6s.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Thankfully the split classes with street tire/race tire with two different classes is this year only. Cause drat that causes a massive alphabet soup of classes.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

That lot with all the transitions between interlocking brick and asphalt looks horrid :ohdear:

Two guys I know went down from Ontario, placing 1st and 5th in ASP driving an '06 STI. Bill is one hell of a driver. E: Also, I missed Ziploc on the results - grats on 6th in B-street man!

I did really well at Sundays event, placing 3rd overall, 2nd in class, and fastest on street tires. Our classing is weird, but works for our location, though I managed to beat all but one person from the next class up (top class). Have a video of my best run:

http://youtu.be/vw908g33v9Y

Wait, an STi finally got 1st place in ASP and topping the usual EVOs? Yup, looks like he beat Aaron Miller by a tenth. That's impressive!

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Brigdh posted:

Generally speaking - poo poo tons of power, a slightly weird suspension. and folks with more money than brains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB-KBaevPqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

The Locator posted:

The funny thing about the change in the treadwear rating rules is that everyone knew that this would happen, because nobody was going to give all their sales to Dunlop Star Specs, which already had a 200 rating when the only cost involved for them was changing that meaningless number stamped into the side of the tires.

Yet, the SCCA went ahead with the change anyway, because... reasons.? All of the competitive tires were magically 200 treadwear in less than half a season after the rule was implemented.

It's made for some great forum flame wars at least!

• Locked thread