Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What would be the best autocross tire to use for a street driven car? I don't use it during the winter months (1992 240sx, driven from mid-April until November). I'm also :newlol:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sadi posted:

Guess it depends on tread life and how much rain you expect, also what car? I mostly use my RS3s for autocross and all seasons for normal driving, but due to laziness I put quite a few street miles on the RS3s and Ive been happy with them other than rough ride. The RS3s do better in the heavy rain than my all seasons do. I have been told that the Star Specs will last longer though. In my case, I was just looking for the cheapest sticky tires on the market. I think the Rivals are supposed to be pretty awful in the wet, so that would make me less interested in using them on the street all the time. Maybe R1Rs would be a good option as they are not at all bad at autocross but are amazing in the rain.

1992 Nissan 240SX. I will check out the ones you listed. So the R1R's would be ok? I must note that I don't have the skill level yet to exploit the most out of tires so are they friendly towards beginners?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

G-Mach posted:

What have you done to the 240sx in the way of suspension and powertrain?

The engine is a stock KA24DE, the suspension was replaced before I bought it (~2 years ago) with OEM springs and shocks. I replaced the tension rods myself recently (also OEM).

The car is much the same as when it rolled off the line.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

Z1 Star Specs or R-S3. Whichever is cheaper.

Thanks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Muffinpox posted:

Guess youtube doesn't like it when you upload directly from an iphone, let's try this again!!

Every time people ask what autox is like and are like "eh" about the max speeds being so low I'm just going to show them this video from my roomates first time ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLh2bizPU8c

I'm trying to convince my brother to partake in it, I'm going to use this video as opposed to my shitbox.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ontario guys, do you know if the SPDA is going to run the Snowkhana again?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds good. Thanks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

Spoke to some in the know today regarding Snokhana, looking for a date really close to March 1st.

Any updates?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

gently caress. I forgot about this thread. It sold out in less than 24 hours when it was officially announced a week or two ago. It's this Saturday.

It was only posted on the TSC forums. :(

Looks like you should watch this subforum though: https://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/snokhana-2014-march-1st-huntsville/

No worries. April is close anyway.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GOD IS BED posted:

I was just repeating the advice given to me as a novice 2 years ago. Learning to threshold brake instead of relying on the ABS worked well for me, so YMMV.

From what I understand isn't it still possible to Threshold brake even with ABS equipped? Unless I was taught wrong or misinterpreted information. I was told you need to brake just before the ABS kicks in. I can't do it consistently yet.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless you have an absolute garbage ABS system, trying to brake hard but not so hard that you engage ABS is making you slower. Threshold braking is going to involve some amount of wheel slip / lockup, and that's going to engage ABS.

I engage the ABS quite a bit so I thought I needed to hone my technique.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I entered an AutoX on the oval in Peterborough, ended up coming 6th in raw times and 4th overall, but then again it was a pretty low key event. I'll see how much I have actually improved at the next PITL event. I did come first in my class (of two entries :haw:). Sunbelt/Pacific Coast guys, do you run AutoX/Track day all year?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

What car? Been to PITL before?

Green S14.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am bumping so its kept out of archives, but I went to PITL on Saturday. Lots of fun, a talented bunch, and its really well organized. Check it out if you are in the Toronto area.

As an aside, any recommendations for an AutoX brake pad? Or should I just stick with OEM Street pads?

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 21, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziploc posted:

You fool! Why didn't you say hi to the dufus running the googly Miata?

I should have, we were in the same class IIRC. Entertaining car by the way.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Inferior German adhesives? Also I'm kinda bummed that there is no more autocross for this year. Did my last event on the 19th. Kinda pissed I missed most of the summer season due to being away but there is always next year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ontario (Canada) goons: Any word on Snowkhana this year?

Thanks Ziploc.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 19, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused, didn't Bridgestone already have a tire called the RE71?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is the RT615k any good? I've always been curious, and I've heard mixed things.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Locator posted:

The funny thing about the change in the treadwear rating rules is that everyone knew that this would happen, because nobody was going to give all their sales to Dunlop Star Specs, which already had a 200 rating when the only cost involved for them was changing that meaningless number stamped into the side of the tires.

Yet, the SCCA went ahead with the change anyway, because... reasons.? All of the competitive tires were magically 200 treadwear in less than half a season after the rule was implemented.

It's good stuff, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I Kinda wish Direzzas were available in a wider variety of 14" sizes. They used to have a 195/60R14 (which coincidentally is my Integra's OE size) but it got shitcanned.

• Locked thread