Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MetaJew posted:

Someone start up an Austin autox.

This, this, a thousand times this. The only autocross club I've found in Central Texas is Spokes. They run most of their events in San Antonio (I'm not driving ~160 miles round trip to autocross), they cost around $50 and you get 3-4 runs MAX.

I just want something in greater Austin that's not stupidly expensive :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MetaJew posted:

Right, the only other "close" AutoX is TAMSCC in College Station. Their practice events are pretty cheap and you get a lot more runs, but again you're driving a good ways, just to dodge cones.

While College Station is technically closer it actually takes more time to get there due to the lower average speed on the roads between there and Austin. Also CS is an aven bigger shithole than SA, so :v:

Not to mention if I'm going to go to CS I'd rather save some cash and rent a Miata at TWS. Seems like a better use of time and money overall.

MetaJew posted:

So until the F1 track opens up and someone runs autox's in the parking lot or track days there's probably nothing "close" by. (The Driveway can eat a dick.)

I've only looked at The Driveway very briefly and as I recall it was stupidly expensive. I've been to Iron Rock Raceway once as well (not the same thing I know but karts are fun). It was fairly expensive for what you got and a lot of people that seemed to take karting waaaay too seriously.

MetaJew posted:

This parking lot looks like you could run an event in it, but you have those pesky concrete parking blocks running down the center and dividing it into three smaller areas. And I'm not sure how open Austin ISD would be to renting it out, and all that nonsense.
I'm going to guess with the liabilities of running cars at speed in a school parking lot there's no way in hell. Couldn't hurt to ask I guess.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TrueChaos posted:

How badly am I going to be laughed at if I show up with a 97 sunfire gt? It's a beater, but stick shift and for the most part in good working order. Slave cylinder is leaky, but thats really the only problem.

Depends on how many of your fellow autocrossers are utter cunts, I suppose. :v:

Seriously, most people don't give a poo poo. Just show up and have fun. Make sure your leaks don't piss all over the course though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kimbo305 posted:

drat, must be a tricky course. Every autocross I've been to, the course is straight enough that power is the biggest factor.

Four seconds on a small track is huge gap.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kimbo305 posted:

It is huge, but I would imagine a Cayman S would have the power (not to mention handling) to brutalize a CRZ.

Well I consider four seconds brutalized so there you go :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Speaking of oil pressure, do baffled oil pans really help or are you better off just saving your pennied for a dry sump system?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Just throwing my two cents on the launch issue here. I've found that there's a happy medium between dumping your clutch and slipping the hell out of it. I would launch at 3.5-4k as many others have suggested and I would let the clutch out quickly but smoothly. Done correctly it would slip the tires a little but not so much that they wouldn't grab. It's a fine balance but when you get it right the car just leaps forward and the revs climb smoothly. It's a little hard to describe because it's all done by feel.

I try to avoid shocking the driveline since (in my experience) that makes it harder to launch clean and, well, breaks stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Phone posted:

That said, I need to buy a 1500 dollar titanium exhaust because that's where I'm losing that tenth of a second.

Well duh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ_R5MO7Vc

...and here, ladies and germs, is the downside of autocrossing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't think any MX-5 has a particularly hard stock suspension. It's very light and is still a street car at the end of the day. Maybe your shocks are worn out. Maybe your tires are too grippy :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
FWIW you'll probably get romped in stock class as well. :v:

That being said...don't lie. That's a great way to get off on the wrong foot with some people you might actually want to spend some time with. Besides that, it's just kinda lovely.

Everyone sucks at first so don't let your ego get too bruised over nothing. No one will care, and at least a few of them will be more than willing to help...unless your introduction to them includes a clear willingness to lie and cheat just so you don't look bad at an event where most people go just for fun.

You will probably be in Street Touring if not Street Mod due to your power mods and springs. Bushings I don't think anyone cares about.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Neat. Seems like the Yaris maintains the fine Toyota tradition of being surprisingly tail happy.

Also 4:3 video has gotten to the point where it looks weird to me now :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Honestly I'd just work on getting the feel of driving the car hard on tarmac. I know the temptation to mess with the car is a strong one but if you keep changing the behavior of the car that's going to make it harder to learn the feeling of driving it hard. You'll wind making yourself slower in the long run if you try to make the car compensate for your inexperience. Not flaming, it's the case for me and everyone else too.

If the shocks are really old you might replace them but that's about it. A softer suspension is generally a lot more forgiving at the limit as well. Also if you keep two hands on the wheel you'll be able to feel the front tires a lot better and be more able to make precise movements.

You also want a more or less upright seating position where your whole back is in contact with the seat and your arms and legs can comfortably use their whole range of motion for the controls without getting too close to overextending. You should be able to turn the wheel 180° with both of your hands remaining at 10 and 2 or 3 and 9.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
As others have said, leave the power alone. Right now the car can't compensate for your mistakes and that's a good thing. When you learn to use your momentum you'll be amazed at how much more speed you'll carry.

Brakes are a must but you don't have to go crazy. Some good hi-temp synthetic (I used Wilwood 570) and some heavier duty pads (Hawk HP+ up front in my case, stock pads in the rear) will make a world of difference. Blank discs are absolutely fine and are dirt cheap.

If your shocks are worn that will make the car very rolly and wobbly and not particularly confidence inspiring. Something like Bilstein HDs might be helpful since they'll put up with hard use a lot better. You might replace the bushings while you're at it if they're worn but that's pretty labor intensive. It shouldn't be too hard if you're replacing the shocks though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That looks like a very confusing course...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I thought insurance covered pretty much any HPDE since it's "driver education"?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Joe Mama posted:

You wreck your car at an HPDE and they'll call it racing.

Well if they do you just need to educate them :eng101:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That's a nice course but it needs more slalom :psyduck:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Podothehobbit posted:

Haha the camera picked up nothing but wind.....I need a good camerashotgun mic that actually picks up poo poo :downs:

fixt :unsmigghh:

So how much power is the Yaris putting down now? Does it feel very different?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Podothehobbit posted:

I wonder if the GoPro has semi decent pickup.

I don't think any camera really has a decent mic, especially not a mini one. I guess you could try making a sock for it that would cut the wind noise some. Even a top quality shotgun mic needs wind protection.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
This is why you need a separate field recorder with a mic run next to the intake. :q:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

e.pie posted:

I've found that tape over the mic leads to an acceptable amount of wind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMz9rDFOkAw

That noise :flashfap:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
My old club used yellow cones for the left and orange cones for the right. Worked pretty well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I just looked up the FR-S and holy poo poo, 25K USD to start?! I thought it was supposed to be a modern day AE-86...you know, cheap sporty fun?

e: don't get me wrong, I'm sure the FR-S is fun as hell to drive but I was under the impression that it was supposed to be priced as an alternative to small, staid FWD econoboxes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

whiskas posted:

I'm very curious how the FRS will hold up to the V6 mustang.

First thing I looked at was a V6 Camaro. Starts at 23K and can't be too boring to drive. :v:

"Inside Line posted:

5. It Uses Prius Tires
Yes, we didn't believe it either, but the FR-S uses the same 215/45-R17 Michelin Primacy rubber that's optional on the Prius. In our first drive of the Toyota 86 we reported that the tires were the same size as those from the Prius option package, but we didn't think it possible that the much-hyped Toyota sports car would use the exact rubber as found on the efficiency-focused Prius.

Well, it does.

Tada-san insists that the FR-S's rubber doesn't share just a name with the tires on the FR-S. Rather, it's actually the exact same tire utilizing the same construction and compound as the optional Prius rubber. The reason, he says, is that the car's light weight and low center of gravity don't demand a high-grip tire.

Modest grip, stunning balance. It's a formula that works better than expected. The FR-S's fun quotient exceeds the sum of its parts.

Awesome, it comes with the same all-season whatever tires the Prius has. I know OE tire choices often aren't great but for 25k? Come on, Toyota.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 29, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rabble posted:

Should I Autocross my <CAR>? Y/N

The answer is always yes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I drove 20 miles or so through fresh snow on Azenis 615s and somehow didn't die. In fact I'm kind of proud of myself for making it up a long incline by slowly building speed before I got to the peak (the tires still slipped some so it's good I wasn't going any slower) and then managing to go down a longish twisty decline in first gear without dying.

It's a mixture of horror and pride when I think back to that day :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I used HP+ for my front pads and they worked fine. A little noisy but that's to be expected. They even bit fine in sub-freezing temperatures. Just be sure to bed them in properly.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Muffinpox posted:

It's a hard habit to break.

You'll know when it's broken, because things mysteriously get faster. I also feel that it's made me a safer driver in general.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The HP+ are plenty bitey but I don't recall them being all that noisy except when cold. I never had a problem with them on the street, but I was doing a lot of autocrossing and tracking at the time so a compromise here and there never bothered me.

I love the way they bit and were basically impossible to overwork in a light/low-power application.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Oversteering the hell out of a CRX ... howww

Go in fast and lift, it ain't hard. Also that one appears to have a pretty modified suspension so it's probably set up to oversteer as well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah it does. It's not often you can hear the throttle plate opening and closing.

God I love Honda intake noise. :flashfap:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Beach Bum posted:

You need to drop the VTEC threshold a thousand RPM or so.

Nah drop it to liek 2000 RPM for ~*~mAd PoWaA~*~

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

peepsalot posted:

The most exact way would be to dyno test it, a full pull with the vtec stuck "off", then a full pull with it trigger
"on" the entire time. Then find the crossover point on the power graph between the two curves.

Which, if the car is more or less stock, will probably be about where Honda put it. I hear their engineers are fairly sharp.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

whiskas posted:

From what I heard the ideal spot is between 5000-5500RPM, they put it a bit higher so that you can feel a sharper kick when it engages.

Well that's marketing's fault then :v: After all people need to know it's working.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Tape over the mic might help but that sounds like most low frequencies that are overloading it - a shock absorbing mount for the camera might do more good in that case. If the mic has any gain or sensitivity settings (this is very iffy) try cranking those down as well.

Did you shoot at 60fps? If so does it look better than what we see on Youtube?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

FatCow posted:

Was the fastest non-kart at yesterday's event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQmjnhQmUM

That was some quality work! I take it the throttle/engine speed readout is a smartphone Bluetooth thing?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Do BMWs have oiling problems at high lateral Gs?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Just plain frozen I assume? That's pretty much where my coilovers are. I don't think anything will free them short of a lot of heat and/or a hydraulic press. You try to explain the horrible things that happen to a New England car to Texans but they just can't understand... :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Stay off cam, and don't you dare drive this car as it was designed. I mean, I get that they're just trying to keep idiots from overdriving an expensive car into a lamp post but what's the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I had 615s years back and they worked really well for me. I guess the formulation could have changed pretty radically in the intervening years but at the timeI thought they were pretty well regarded as far as cheap performance was concerned. Mine gripped very well, wore well (I did rotate like a fiend) and even broke away pretty progressively. Again that may have all changed but they were pretty drat good when I had them.

• Locked thread