Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Did my first autocross this weekend. Forgot to start the video on all my runs accept for my fastest non cone eating run. Could have been faster though, lifted because of a guy changing a cone in front of me. I didnt have any one who was very experienced ride with me. There were about 180 people there my pax time put me at about 100. Didnt feel bad and I had a blast despite only getting 4 runs. Will be doing this more for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V7dI0r4SqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I hit up my second autocross this weekend and I got some poo poo times. My pax time was pretty close to the bottom. I was 3 of 4 in ES, lost to two guys in NAs with slicks by about 10 seconds (they were neck and neck) and beat a 280z by about 5 seconds. Any way here is a video of my fastest run. Feel free to point out any gently caress ups. I feel like my tires are holding me back but im sure they aren't the only thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWLlNTFagI

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

This ^. Nice setup with duel GoPro's? Though it is a new surface, that looks like one nice site for autoX. Wish the ones I went to had half as nice surfaces (except Castle AFB which has the best (worst on tires) surface I have been to. A lot of fun.

One GoPro (on the side) and one iPhone (on the windscreen). The telemetry is by the VideoPro app for the iPhone.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

I came here to basically say the same thing, you steer. too. drat. hard. It looks like every corner is too fast, than you yank the wheel to make the car understeer, than slam on the brakes to make it oversteer a little, than accelerate slowly to the next corner. make smooth gradual moments and dont ever touch the brake unless you have to. If you think you will need to brake for a slalom, try not accelerating so much beforehand. The miata is a momentum car (basically by design it sacrifices acceleration for grip) and you killed the momentum every chance you got.

That being said, i want that telematry. Does it do the corner map for you?
The app does the corner map for you. Unfortunately the accelerometer data looks over damped to me but it basically records a video file and a telemetry file and you hit a button after recording is done to make the overlay.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Ziploc posted:

Can I plop the telemetry over another video somehow? Or are you limited to just whatever you recorded on the phone?

That would be pretty solid, but as far as I am aware it only works on video taken in the app. I havent seen an option to export the data some how.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Would any one happen to know some where that has RS3s in 225/45/15 in stock?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So is there another hot tire to go with right now? Im trying to stay under $500 for the 4 tires. Im putting them on spare set of stock 15x6s for E-Stock. I wouldnt mind slicks but being that this is my first season I would think staying with street tires may be best. Discount Tire Direct seems to be running $100 off a set of 4 tires right now, though they dont seem to have anything I would want in stock as far as I could see.
EDIT: The tires would be pretty much for autocross, it would be cool if they could run a track day or two though. Also id be willing to take a little cut in performance if they would last for 2 or more autocross seasons.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Tire rack had (maybe still has) RS3s in stock. I bought a set of 4 225/45/15s, should be in Wednesday. This Monday im going to be running some mostly bald 225/45/15 R1Rs I got out of a friends back yard. We will see how that goes.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Well I was told I over drove my last few autocrosses and spending some time on the track smoothed me out. Unfortunately I think I may have gone the other extreme. Also my tires were bald R1Rs that were in a friends back yard for about 2 years. Was a big event, little over 200 people.

This was my fast run. They still have yet to post times so I have no idea how well I did but I dont think it was well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BcZPCVzwEE

Wet run was fun, almost lost it going through one of the last gates. Was impressed I didnt spin. I decided not to zip up the roof before rolling out, then it really started coming down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_nkEK6NNkI

The rain caught some one else out. They called the event after this. Took about a half hour to pull the car out. Ended up on rocks in a drainage ditch. Car was ok over all, a brace got destroyed but the car drove home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJczs7Y8b8

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Went to an autocross at the Michelin proving grounds, known as black lake. First time on RS3, I love them. Though they dont launch as well as I expected. I really need to get used to having grip. Also a BRZ was there, auto unfortunately but he already had 235 wide starspecs on it. It was fast and flat looking. I think he was in the top 3 of novice with a 35 person field in novice iirc. We had good turn out, about 210 drivers.
Here's the only video worth watching from it. My slowest time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcjmGvSWeVc

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I ran HP+s in from and HPSs on a track day and daily drive them. Squeaky but no other complaints, no felt fade at CMP but I'm not that fast yet. I think I was only entering the fastest breaking zone at 92 or so. I don't really know that I felt much difference for autocross.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

At least go HP+.

I think I could get away with HPS all the way around but i'm in a miata. Right now I have HP+ front and HPS rear. They have lasted me about 4-5 months, 1 and a half track days, and maybe 6 autocrosses and the HP+s are very close to gone (not a fair comparison because they are on the back, but the HPS have tons of life left). My brother and another friend got Carbotech XP8s and XP10s at the same time as I got my hawks, they ran all the same events and they have tons more life left in their pads. When I do it again Im probably just running cheap pads for daily/autocross and switching to Carbotechs for the track. Also the HP+s dust quite badly, I have to clean my nice wheels at least once a week. Not to mention the noise. My friends will be waiting for me outside their houses because they hear my brakes from more than a block away. In any case, on RS3s I never got them to fade on the track. Though im new to it so I could maybe do that when I get better at breaking harder.

EDIT: I seem to remember that reading that the HPS actually bite a bit better at first. Been awhile since I read that article everyone loves linking for the differences between HPS and HP+s.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 14, 2012

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

flier129 posted:

Might I sway you into running a more aggressive pad in the rear, at least if you're on street tires and assuming you want an autox setup.

It helps subside the low-speed lock-up that is easy to experience on an autox course. I went from HPS all around to HPS front/HP+ rear and it's helped tremendously. Not that we should be braking all too much anyways, lol.

The dust and noise does suck, but I've ran HP+ in all my miatas for the past 5 years so I guess I'm use to it.

Im running RS-3s, so yeah, street tires. Im pretty used to the noise by now too but it still is embarrassing to me when Im picking someone up or going out. Anyway Im leaning more towards tracking my car. I'll probably go balanced before I try to rear bias, just because I dont want to start spinning all the time.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 15, 2012

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
S2000s look like a beast to drive on the limit. One of the guys in our region is amazing to watch. Jadruce, he's won B-Stock nationals for the past two years (last 2012 by 3 0.3 seconds). Its like he has a telepathic link to that car. Super good guy, awesome as a an instructor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuK2qcb-odQ

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So I was out at one of the coldest wettest autocrosses I have ever been to last weekend. I spun on my second or third run on RS-3s and slid sideways for about 30-50 feet. The front right tire (I was sliding sideways toward the right side) made a loud grinding sound and I saw rubber flying out the other side of my car. In paddock there was about an inch to and inch and a half wide strip of rubber missing that was about 1/16-1/32" rubber missing (the surface roughness was as though it delaminated and none of the fresh rubber had touched ground aka scalloped looking). The tires is pretty out of balance now. They are 225 wide on 6" rims, the high was about 40 with standing water everywhere, and the tires only have about 6 autocrosses, 2 track days, and a few thousand miles on them tops. Any idea whats going on here? Ive never had tires like this.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Muffinpox posted:

If they were locked up, it's called flat spotting.

I know flat spotting. This is a solid ring around the inside perimeter. The wheels were apparently still rotating. Ill post pics when I can.

As for air pressure, I was bad and didnt check but it was likely lowish because I only use them for autocross and had just done my first front to rear rotation. I wasnt super concerned with setting a good time due to the amount of water coming down. I was more looking to have a good time and learn the dynamics in heavy wet. I wouldn't have been surprised to see something like this if it were hot out, but it was 45 tops, pouring rain, and windy.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

AUTOCROSS MOTHERFUCKER!!

Can I squeeze a 225mm wide tire on a 6" wheel? Yeah!

Should I? Probably not.

Why? AUTOCROSS: LIVE. BREATHE. SCCA SOLO2 HANDBOOK.

Pretty much. 15x6s are cheap, I cant run wider wheels in stock class, the RS3s were about the fastest and cheapest tire around when I ordered them and thats the only size they are available in in 15". I like track days better so when I have more cash I plan on getting a set of 15x8s or 9s.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Ive been super busy with school, but a friend was videoing the run. Heres the sound it made. Ill pull the tires tomorrow and take pictures of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg1Z8NDwhGw&t=52s

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

Sounds like it was hitting the fender.

Somebody mentioned that and didn't think it was likely but the more I think about the dynamics that's probably what happened. They don't rub at full lock, but full lock plus full tire deformation probably did make them rub.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Brigdh posted:

For those who don't want to follow the link, Hankook has relabeled the RS-3 as a 200 TW tire (used to be 140) because it actually was a 200 TW tire (Tire Rack is backing up this claim with experimental testing), and labeling it at 200 now lets it meet various racing organizations regulations (SCCA Solo was not explicitly mentioned). While labeling a 200 TW tire as 140 is not really illegal, the timing coincidence of the change to 200 seems odd.

I thought the reverse was true, that it was considered acceptable to label a tire the lowest tread wear your process could possible hit, but that it would be impermissible to label a low tread wear tire as high.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Brigdh posted:

Err, maybe I've confused you.

Hankook is saying that the RS-3 initially tested as at 200 TW tire. For some reason they marked it as a 140 TW tire. I'm saying this is ok, because all they are doing is advertising that the tire wears faster than it actually does.

Now, Hankook wants to label it as 200 TW. I have no problem with this, assuming that it still tests as a 200 TW tire.

The problem would be if the tire tests as 140, and Hankook labels it as 200. Now Hankook is effectively deceiving consumers through false advertising by saying the tire will last longer than it actually will (assuming some standard conditions).

I'm curious, why did Hankook label it as 140 in the first place? It seems odd that some club would mandate exactly 140, and not a minimum of 140...

Your right. I must have read wrong, been locked up in a study vault for weeks. Dont think right any more. If I had to speculate I would say its was for advertising perposes. People would think lower TW means more grip and therefore better for racing. No one who is in the market for 140TW-200TW tires is really expecting much life out of them so I doubt it hurt them on the people not buying due to longevity reasons.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Guess it depends on tread life and how much rain you expect, also what car? I mostly use my RS3s for autocross and all seasons for normal driving, but due to laziness I put quite a few street miles on the RS3s and Ive been happy with them other than rough ride. The RS3s do better in the heavy rain than my all seasons do. I have been told that the Star Specs will last longer though. In my case, I was just looking for the cheapest sticky tires on the market. I think the Rivals are supposed to be pretty awful in the wet, so that would make me less interested in using them on the street all the time. Maybe R1Rs would be a good option as they are not at all bad at autocross but are amazing in the rain.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

It's been a while since I've had a dehydrated weekend. Autocross is no fun with a throbbing headache.

Mine are normally due to hangovers and sleep deprivation. I dont make good life choices.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
What phone said. Look for used miata wheels. My spare set were brand new looking and I picked them up for $200. A friend of mine just got some rashed 96m wheels for $100.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
First time running a real event this year. Took first of 6 in ES. Pretty pleased with that. Especially with no sway and some pretty heat cycled RS3s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjTHKlJLjA

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

My new machine gun turret is working well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvLdnJGKDuY

How did safety get away with that turn at 1:13? Looked like a car eater if it was wet.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

shoophobo posted:

Hey guys,

So there is a SCCA Solo Novice School event this Saturday at the local High School.
I have never done anything like this before, but I enjoy driving and always wanted to try something like this.
I drive a new, bone stock 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring, AT.
Any tips besides emptying my car of all my crap and the other stuff that was in the OP?

Also I took a look at the Attendee List, which featured Miatas, Porsches, Nissan Z's, GT-R's and BMWs. Is this typical for a Novice event? I don't really care about wining or anything, just want some weekend fun, but I was expecting Civics and Camrys, not GT-R's and Porsches.

I was there instructing. How'd you enjoy the event? I was jealous of all he seat time you guys got. Anyway, here's my best run from Sunday. Good for 12th over all (out of 80-90 or so) and 3rd in street class. http://youtu.be/wNsMxjfG3SI

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

animeliker posted:

As an aside, any recommendations for an AutoX brake pad? Or should I just stick with OEM Street pads?

I've been trading 1st and 2nd in ES this season running OEM pads on my miata. My times typically pax me in the lower 50% of our pro class. I had hp+ and HPS combo before. I didn't like it. They were both too much compromise for me. I'd run track only pads on the track and oem on autocross.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

G-Mach posted:

I started off AutoX in a F-stock 99 SVT Cobra and eventually moved from street ties to Hoosier A6s. I was pretty untouchable in FS with A6s.

I love that the stock classes don't allow dot r tires now. Makes it so much easier to be competitive now.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Still running neck and neck for 1st in my region for ES. Took 2nd in this event. Still have a shot at first but I really have to win the next event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZkO__wlr4U

Also took my new car to an autocross for the first time. I really liked it other than the lovely tires.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhwAF9mIgis
I would have been nearer to the top of FS if it weren't for 500TW tires. As it was I got 3rd and was 3 sec out of first on a 60 second event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkhb6t3r7lk

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

That lot with all the transitions between interlocking brick and asphalt looks horrid :ohdear:
It was actually kind of fun. I've never had to adjust how I bush like that. Especially the off camber tradition from slippery asphalt to sticky bricks.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I had an interesting day a michelin proving grounds. Was sliding a bit in a large back sweeper. Probably a 60mph drift or so. Hit two cones and heard a loud BANG. Car didn't drive right after that. Limped back to paddock and found a snapped in half lower control arm. Didn't expect that out of an M3.

I'm going to take it into the lab at my work after I take it off but it loos like it may have had a material defect.

Will post pics and video later.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I had an interesting day a michelin proving grounds. Was sliding a bit in a large back sweeper. Probably a 60mph drift or so. Hit two cones and heard a loud BANG. Car didn't drive right after that. Limped back to paddock and found a snapped in half lower control arm. Didn't expect that out of an M3.

I'm going to take it into the lab at my work after I take it off but it loos like it may have had a material defect.

Will post pics and video later.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

FatCow posted:

I've seen that happen at autocross on an M3. Rear?

Yup rear. Surprised me though. It's a new to me car but I never heard of it being an issue for track cars. I have 500tw tires so it's not like they should have had that much force on them. It was also in a steady state drift. Not like there was any impulse loading.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Ziploc posted:

What kinda M3?

E46. From my reading it sounds like it's no uncommon. I'm debating putting adjustable LCAs on. But I know the factory ones are sacrificial to protect the subframe.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
As promised, here's the pics. I havent uploaded the video yet. Its not very exciting.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Nothing as far as I can tell. I haven't started taking it apart yet. Going drill holes in the LCA and bolt it together to keep the camber under control when I load it up on a flat bed again and take it to the shop that I will drop the sub frame at. Then Im replacing all the bushings and bot LCAs. Ill be inspecting the trailing arm then.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Last event of the year and I had only one clean run out of 6. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93eQ60fTgg

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Took 2nd over all pax and 6th raw this weekend at our first points event. My second event in this car and first with good tires on this car. Also first event to not bust a lower control arm on the M3. But holy gently caress have I never driven something so fast in autocross. I haven't had an adrenalin rush auto crossing in like 2 years.
http://youtu.be/kRe5tnQbyzE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

E36 M3? More pics? Because :dong:

• Locked thread