Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Sprint's stock has plummeted today. Yuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

With the upcoming 4S iphone release, some coworkers were suggesting I move from AT&T to Sprint. The thing is, I have an unlimited data plan with AT&T. Does Sprint offer anything similar?

??? That's the only thing Sprint has is unlimited data plans.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, I wasn't sure. Because when I talked about possible moving to Verizon, people freaked out telling me not to abandon my data plan since I guess Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data plans. Didn't know how Sprint handled things.

This was the conversation friends and co-workers had on my facebook about it:

So is all the stuff they said true? I trust you guys more than I trust them with these sort of things. And if it is all true, looks like I'll be moving to Sprint.

Sprint doesn't throttle data, they do roam on Verizon but its 1x roaming (basically 2G not 3G). But the best advice is pretty much whoever said this: just find out what does and doesn't work well where you're going to be. Sprint isn't really worth it if they get bad coverage where u are. All things being equal though, Sprint is the way to go because of the value.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sprint (S) Investor Meeting Was a Mess, Stock Currently 'Uninvestable' -BTIG

Ouch. And I was seriously considering putting a call option. I guess I'll see if it goes lower.

My guess is the stock will go up once Sprint announces how many iPhones were sold during the first weekend.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure that's really going to help.

A few days ago, sprint announced that they were going to outlay $20 bil for iPhones.

Today they announced that backing WiMAX and then switching to LTE is going to cost them $10 bil.

So, in the span of a week, they told the world that during the next few years they are going to need $30 bil to execute their plans. That's a tough pill to swallow.

To be clear, the Wall Street Journal said that, not Sprint. When asked about it today Dan Hesse had no comment.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So.....ever since I've stopped working for Sprint back in July, I haven't really paid much attention to phones at all.

I still have the original EVO that I got 2 weeks before launch, I'm really getting sick of it. How many people have gone from Android in general or the EVO specifically to an iPhone 4S?

If you have, what's the verdict? What do you like/dislike?

I can sell my EVO back to Sprint for $90 so basically I can get a 4S for $110.

Should I do it? I'm just no longer impressed/infatuated with Android as I think it has gone about as far as its gonna go for the next year, Ice Cream Sandwich notwithstanding.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How does that change anything right now? He can't buy a phone from Sprint right now that has ICS. And we all know how terrible of an idea it is to buy a phone on the promise of an Android update.
Why wouldn't they? With how long it takes for updates to be rolled out and the lineup of phones from CES to hit the market, ICS won't be on the majority of Android phones until next summer at the earliest.

Yes this.

Also....I know rooting phones isn't hard, but I just don't want to bother with it anymore. I actually like what I see from Apple how they have a pretty set release schedule and you can get the update the day/week of the announcement.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 22, 2011

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tomguycot posted:

Well this isn't exactly the same as going from the original evo to an iPhone but going from the evo 4G to the evo shift was awful. I missed the 4.3" screen a lot more than I thought I would. Still, I think that screen size (and availability of SAMOLED+ screens) is one of the biggest losses of going to the iPhone.

Also, looking forward to the next couple of months I can't help but feel that ICS is just way ahead of iOS.

Well when you factor in the fact that I want a smaller phone overall anyways, with a good camera, and one that is useful-out-of-the-box, I think my choice is pretty clear.

I kind of had my mind made up anyways, but I wanted to see if there was gonna be anyone that would tell me "NOOOOOOO dude, you'll spend the next month doing this when you should be doing this."

I never use Google Navigation because I know how to read a map and pulling up directions on Google Maps or whatever other map program is good enough for me.

As long as there is no glaring reason for me not to get it, I'm gonna pull the trigger soon.

Now just to decide whether to get an iPhone 4 or 4S. Since I'm getting $90 for my EVO, I could spend $10 for an IPhone 4 which is awesome since I'm poor as gently caress. Or I could wait a few weeks and spring $110 to get the 4S once I get the cash. The only reason I'm hesitant to do that is a) I'm worried the buyback price for the EVO will drop and b) the iPhone 4S is in shorter supply and I could risk not getting it if I wait til closer to Christmas.

Ugh.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kynetx posted:

What?

What does knowing how to read a map have to do with using turn by turn directions? Do you understand that there is a safety issue in having your face buried in a map while driving?

Thanks captain safety man. I can look at a map before I leave and know where I'm going with little to no help.

Sometimes I pull the map back up at a stoplight. :ssh:

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 23, 2011

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So what's the final story on Sprint unlocking the iPhone 4S? Internet searching seems to show that people are being told by customer care that Sprint will never be unlocking the iPhone. It would not be the first time that customer care reps said something that wasn't true. But I'm kind of worried that it is true. Other people are saying that they will not unlock the phones for people who are on a spending limit account. This would make sense if they were signing up for the sprint international plan, but isn't the whole point of unlocking the phone to be able to use a foreign SIM?

Typical Sprint miscommunication and runaround BS. I'm glad I don't work for that loving company anymore.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint has a program called slate that we are starting to be required to use. It supposedly analyzes the phone, battery, apps, etc. I politely disagree with sprint on this one. It's worthless.

But honestly, doing a phone wipe is a good way to fix a problem. And a nice placebo effect either way :)

I was in my old store to get my iPhone and they told me Slate was on the way out. I guess Sprint is starting to listen to the stores that told them that Slate was a dumb piece of poo poo software that wasted customers' and employees' time. It may still be utilized for the time being until they figure something else out, but yeah....gently caress Slate.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Turnquiet posted:

My sarcasm detector is broken, but this seems stupid. Aren't they cash-strapped to the point of not being able to build out their network (or provide enough backhaul to their network to make sure metro areas get greater than 10kbps)? Why are they wasting money on this bullshit?

I never get this mentality. Like Sprint was sitting around the boardroom saying "Should we give our customers something for free or lower their bills with this money, or should we spend it on becoming the official wireless carrier of the NBA? Let's do the NBA thing!"

That's not how a company's finances work. I'm sure there is a risk/reward factor in spending that kind of money and they have to figure out if its worth it, but that money also comes out of the advertising budget so its not like it would be used for anything else.

In short, Sprint knows they have to spend X amount of money in advertising each year and/or reach X amount of people with that advertising to maintain/gain customers. They have to spend that money on that, if they didn't....they wouldn't need anymore backhaul or network buildout because they would continue to bleed customers. They probably want to spend this NBA season letting the urban crowd know that "We've got the iPhone."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Ha, I worked for Sprint for 4 years, believe me....they have a certain target consumer. They aren't the title sponsor of NASCAR by coincidence as well.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apparently the stockholders meeting was rescheduled from tomorrow to the 25th. I just voted for the SoftBank merger.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Have any SERO folks managed to upgrade their phones recently anywhere besides a corporate Sprint store? Just curious.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Since I'm on a SERO plan and am gonna trade in my 4S for a 5S, is a corporate store the only way to go? I'm not sure how buybacks work with online/phone sales.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

Oh hay, my bill this month is about $1.60 higher than it has been for 3 years. Thanks for increasing your fees!

December cannot come fast enough.

Wait, a wireless company nickel and diming someone?! Well I never! You'll surely have better luck somewhere else.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't know when this thread transitioned to only people coming in and bashing Sprint or announcing that they've left Sprint (like anyone cares), but my Sprint service is perfectly fine. Yes, the service could probably be better, but I hear people with Verizon and AT&T phones at the office bitching about service a hell of a lot more than I ever do. And I'm in a city with no Sprint LTE and plenty of AT&T and Verizon LTE.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not defending them. I'm reporting on how Sprint service is for me, just like everyone else in this thread.

I understand people get frustrated and like to vent, but if anyone thinks people care when they come into the thread to announce they are leaving Sprint, they are sorely mistaken.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For anyone on Sprint trying to get an iPhone 5S.....they seem to not have silver or gold pretty much everywhere.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jensen posted:

No you won't. You have to pay the entire month.

Don't listen to this man. This isn't true at all.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jensen posted:

I just went through this. I was told if I went one day into my new cycle I'd be charged the entire month by two different sprint reps.

I mean, you get BILLED for the entire month, because you pay a month in advance. But they can't make you pay for when they didn't provide service to you (insert joke about Sprint not providing service to anyone).

Now....here's the thing. It is pretty common practice that if you call to cancel your service, that they set it effective the end of the billing cycle, in which case what they told you is true. But, only a moron would do that when you can walk into a Verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile or whatever store and port your Sprint number over, effective the same day. In that case, Sprint owes you the prorated amount for the unused portion of the billing cycle.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I bought the iPhone 4S in Nov of '11 and was eligible on July 1st of this year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

More like go with Verizon because T-Mobile might be merging with Sprint; http://www.zdnet.com/t-mobile-cfo-floats-sprint-merger-boat-not-if-but-when-7000021167/

I think the "not if but when" moment is when networks can easily handle voice over LTE and carriers figure out how to market it. Any TMobile/Sprint merger would be with eyes on an all-LTE network. Sprint has already gone down the road of merging with a completely incompatible network. I don't see them doing that again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

Because merging two completely different cellphone systems worked so well for Sprint last time...

To be fair, someone from T-Mobile said it, not Sprint.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

Is it possible that they meant a new 2-yr subscriber agreement, so an upgrade wouldn't count?

No. I used to work at a Sprint store and people would bring these post cards in all the time, even when I, myself filled out the mail in rebate form on behalf of the customer and mailed it in. The rebate company basically rejects a certain percentage of rebates for no reason, hoping the customer will be too lazy to fight it, or simply won't know who to call. They're usually right.

The good news is, if you call the right number and speak to someone, they'll typically say you're right, claim the rejection was an error, and push the rebate through. Now this is true as of 2 years ago when I stopped working for Sprint, but I imagine everything is pretty similar considering that's the exact card everyone used to bring in.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LorneReams posted:

Funny, when a person does this instead of a company, it's called fraud.

It's like one of the longest running scams around, I'm surprised there isn't more public outrage about it or some investigative journalism or something.

It's a scam on multiple levels too if you consider the bait and switch of advertising certain prices with "*after mail-in rebate" printed so small that no one can read it.

I'm actually genuinely surprised that consumer protection agencies haven't passed laws requiring the price you pay in store to be printed in advertisements with additional money back underneath it or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
As a former Sprint rep I can tell you that it can be done in store. I was one of the few people who looked up in the M&P's the actual method of processing the SERO upgrades. It does involve searching for the correct code, but unfortunately there are so many different SERO codes that it becomes a case of trial and error to find the one that works for that phone. There are upwards of 5-10 different SERO codes for the same plan, it just depends on what model phone is being used. Definitely wasn't easy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

td4guy posted:

Yes, the unlimited data includes 4G.
And I think it's kind of crazy to give up unlimited data only a year before Sprint finishes deploying its nationwide Network Vision fiber optic-connected awesome LTE service everywhere. If you're gonna stuck with Sprint, stick with unlimited. And watch how your usage naturally increases as you actually get good reception and want to use your phone.

But low data usage for a lot of people has nothing to do with reception/speed, so LTE wouldn't change that. For a lot of people, the majority of their data use comes when they're using wifi at home or work.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

Holy poo poo, just realized we got 4G here in cornfield Ohio, 15.92 down, 8.33 up. This is awesome after the piss poor evdo speeds we were getting here.

Are you in NE Ohio? I'm in the Youngstown area and noticed that LTE has been on and off for about 10 days. Some days it doesn't work at all and some days I get it just about everywhere I go. So they must still be testing or working out the bugs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Robo Kitty posted:

For a month now I've been getting dropped calls on almost every call; sometimes it fails in a few seconds, sometimes a minute or two in. I've stopped using my phone as a phone and just make calls with Skype from my laptop now. I called Sprint to complain (via Skype :rolleyes:) and they said it was probably one tower that needs upgrading and that they'd flag it for service. I pointed out that this happens no matter where I am, even when I'm definitely out of the range of that particular tower, and just got fed a line about Network Vision being done in the next six months. Is it worth calling and complaining again now that it's been another couple of weeks, or is this just the joys of Sprint? The LTE black hole where I live is annoying enough, but now I'm not even getting the most basic functions of a phone.

It sounds like there's something wrong with your phone. Why don't you bring it in to a store to have it checked out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

datajosh posted:

T-Mobile is back on unlimited data too so larger footprint is all they have at this point.

Doesn't T-Mobile throttle data? Sprint doesn't....at least not yet.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just checking in. SERO customer here, and my service was so bad that I actually considered switching. But ever since LTE was lit in my city my service has been pretty great. Obviously YMMV but just a counterpoint to all the bad experiences shared on here.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone here work for sprint when they were running the referral credit (I think it was $25 and $25). Every sprint sales person had a list of friends that they would just plug the numbers into to get the customer $25 and someone else $25.

There has always been a ton of abuse with sprint promos for whatever reason. When they had the "$125 credit if you port your number" I would just go down the hall, buy a $10 TMobile prepaid card and port that over to close my sales. When they had "reserve in store via online and you get online pricing" I would just take the customers info, tell them to come back in one hour, go to the library (across the street) and reserve it. And of course everyone knows about getting discounts you didn't quite qualify for.

I will say being non corporate probably helped in being able to get away with it. I don't do any of that any more at my current job.

I used to work in the same (corporate) store as the #1 salesman in the whole company and good lord he had a million tricks up his sleeve. I don't even know how he went to sleep at night.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

td4guy posted:

Since when could the Optimus G do wifi calling? I thought that was a new feature on select tri-band LTE phones.

He's saying that his phone doesn't receive calls or texts and data only works over wifi. You might want to read it again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mrchina posted:

Full and fair disclosure, I knew their unlocking policies before I signed the contract. I was fine with them.

I only started to care, however, when I read the responses by Sprint employees when asked why domestic unlocking is not possible. I saw statements like 'our network is different so that's why we don't unlock', when all I should have seen was a link to the unlocking T&C.

Let's ignore that Sprint initially shipped the iPhone 4s domestically unlocked, only corrected by a software patch. Instead, lets focus on how the heck the A1453 is incompatible with every single domestic carrier but Sprint? If the unlocking policy is due to a contractual obligation between Sprint & Apple, fine. What's not fine is straight up lying to customers to shut them up.

The only thing Sprint should be worried about is fixing their hosed network... not some goon wanting his two year old phone unlocked after satisfying the contractual obligations.

So I don't think I get your argument? You're pissed about the problem......that they just announced they are going to fix????

And you're saying Sprint shouldn't do that and should just improve their network.....which they are actively doing (albeit very slowly) anyways?

Sorry, your post just came off as "let me blow off steam about how much I hate Sprint" instead of actually responding to the fact that they are (for once) doing something that benefits the consumer. (Whether they're forced to do it or not is irrelevant. No other carrier has put a timeline on their unlocking plans)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

I feel like I'm missing some important aspect of this. What good does it do for a CDMA company to buy a GSM one? It's not like they can use the towers to fill in a coverage map or anything like that.

Everything is gonna be LTE in a few years. Then it's gonna be about who has the most spectrum.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I hope their severance packages are goddamn katanas wrapped in rice paper with instructions on how to shank oneself through the gut.

Sanyo Katanas

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is there some feature with Sprint and enhanced audio on their phone calls? The past month or two I've been randomly having phone calls where the audio sounds completely different. Much clearer and higher quality audio. Has nothing to do with wifi because today it happened while I was driving.

I'm in an LTE area, but I was under the impression that voice over LTE still wasn't a thing yet so I don't know what it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When I worked for Sprint there was really no way to cancel your service same-day except for porting your number. Basically when you call and cancel, your service kept going until the end of your bill cycle.

No idea if it works that way anymore but it could explain your situation.