Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Is SERO worth the hassle of dealing with Sprint customer service? My Katana DLX still works, but not having a smartphone is this decade's "I don't own a television." Considering getting a Galaxy S6--I got the Katana with the $30 SERO 500 plan back in 2007, and I guess a 4G phone means signing up for SERO Premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

WoG posted:

No, much better to drop it and pay an extra $30-50/mo indefinitely to avoid a 30 minute phone call.

Well, here's the thing:
Pre-smartphone, paying $150 for a phone and then getting a $20-30/month discount forever with SERO was a pretty sweet deal.
Today, I can get a 32 GB Galaxy S6 Edge on the Sprint website for $768 retail, and to use it with SERO, I'd have to pay $50 a month ($20 above what I'm on now).
$50 a month is venturing into prepaid territory, which doesn't require a contract or dealing with Sprint customer service. Since smartphones are firmly entrenched in the bad old days era of security, I should not expect to keep this phone for more than three years. $768/36=$21.33, so the effective rate with SERO is $71/mo. With the $60 unlimited plan, I can get the phone with a two year contract and $300 up front, for an effective rate of $60 + ($300/36) = $68.33. SERO doesn't seem to be nearly as competitive as it used to be--that's why I'm asking around, to see if I'm missing anything. Googling around shows some people getting subsidized phones with their SERO plan; I wasn't aware that was possible, and couldn't find much in the way of details.

Duckman2008 posted:

2 things:

1. Great dedication having a Katana DLX. I hve worked in wireless 6 years, and that phone was discontinued before my career started.

2. Sanyo flip phones were tanks. I still think the 3810 in particular was the best flip phone ever.

Oh yeah--I've been waiting for this phone to break to get a replacement, but it's been 7 and a half years as of last month. Battery finally went out in 2013; paid $6.75 for the replacement. Does 3G internet, even if it's on a 2" display. If I wasn't being pressured to start texting, I'd try to keep it for a decade.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

You'll be fine, just call 866-264-1282 or 888-603-7981 and they'll adjust your plan to SERO P.

How does that work with new phones? You sign up for SERO Premium, then once that's done, you have them add the new phone to your account?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Kreeblah posted:

Call them up to switch to SERO Premium and then talk to telesales to get your phone upgrade done (for whatever phone you decide on). They'll give you the subsidized price and lock you in for another two-year contract.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Like the others said, you get subsidized pricing on phones on SERO, every 2 years you get an upgrade.

So I paid $200 for my iPhone 6, and going by your model, using it for 3 years, that works out to $5.55/mo. So $55.55/mo. for your effective rate. And if you upgrade when you're eligible, getting a new phone in 2 years instead of 3, it only goes up to 58.33/mo.

Thanks--SERO is a no-brainer if it provides a phone subsidy. Glad I asked before pulling the trigger on buying the phone outright.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Krime posted:

Same thing I want to do. I haven't tried yet, though.

My old, old phone is at work and I didn't have the serial number on it to continue past that.

I tried with my flip phone, and was denied the promotion. I'd confirm phone eligibility before asking for it.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Krime posted:

It's a HTC Evo 4G. It was on the drop down list on the promotion site.

Was yours on there too?

Mine was in the list, but I guess they are sticklers about the "smartphone"/"feature phone" distinction.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Krime posted:

Duckman, just clarifying this is correct from your latest update to the first post.

Sales line for SERO users - 888 882 4030

A bit late, but I can confirm the number is still valid. Correctly identified that my plan needed to be upgraded to SERO Premium and took care of that, as well as the phone purchase.

Telesales is pushy.

"Sir, we are pleased to inform you that you can get a Galaxy Tab 4 free for an extra $10/month."
"No thanks."
"Surely you have someone you can give the phone to, as a gift."
"...no." :(

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
I have a SERO Premium account and a decrepit phone, and just received a letter that I'd be affected by the 1/1/2022 CDMA shutdown. It sounds like I missed the boat on SWAC--what else are people settling with discount wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Mr.Radar posted:

You should still be able to convert to SWAC: https://sprint.custhelp.com/app/EWD/SEROtoSWAC/session/L3RpbWUvMTYyNTM2MjQyMy9zaWQvei1QLWc1ZnA%3D Do that and get whatever phone works best for you. You can get a free OnePlus Nord N200 with any trade in (must turn on and not have a cracked screen), though for Sprint customers it's only available in store and I believe requires a conversion to a T-Mobile SIM (so you will lose most access to the Sprint network if any T-Mobile service is also available, even if the T-Mobile service is bad and Sprint service is better where you are). If you log into your Sprint account online and try to upgrade your line you may have additional free upgrade offers (I'm still seeing the Galaxy A32 5G offer when I go to upgrade my Kickstart line even though that offer has been discontinued generally).

Thanks! It took me a while to get around to doing this, and ended up saving me $20/month when Amazon Prime is factored in. Wish I had done this years ago.
For any SERO holdouts: I switched from SERO Premium to SWAC Premium, then once that was complete added an unlocked Pixel 6 using eSIM. No issues with the plan change and didn't have to visit a T-Mobile store.