Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

otter posted:

So I switched (back after many years absence) to Sprint about 25 months ago now. My contract is over and my phone payments are over. I want to drop the TEP from my phones because at this point it seems silly to pay $22/mo for 2 phones to be covered when they will have like a $199 fee to service them... however I am getting a bit paranoid that if i use the website that they will somehow interpret that as agreeing to new terms of service and changing my plan to whatever low res video deal all the providers seem to be doing now. Am I being overly paranoid about it?

You are being paranoid, but if you want to call customer care to remove it go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nimper posted:

Where are you going to get a subsidized phone now?

I think his point is that without the phone subsidy sprint isn't cheap enough to justify anymore. Which given you can get pretty low plans from Cricket and elsewhere, is pretty true.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Why are Sprint's billing practices so complicated that even their phone agents and store employees can't understand it?

Sprint is a poorly run company. Always has been, and it doesn't seem to be getting fixed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Rumors about sprint and T-Mobile merging. Please be true.

Seriously, I think it would be really bad for T-Mobile. The networks aren't compatible, it would take years to combine the networks. A bad idea.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rhombus posted:

Can I move my old Sprint iPhone 6 to a Verizon account? My mom has some awful unreliable Android junker that I'd like to replace.

It has to be unlocked by Sprint, otherwise it’ll work fine.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
One of Sprints biggest fumbles was trying to launch first with 4G Service by going with WiMAX on the 2500Mhz. The biggest issue was no one could get coverage inside buildings.

So with 5G upcoming, guess what frequency Sprint is using:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=19952

Yeah, that’ll go well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

Welp. That on any other carrier?

No way others are going to integrate with google voice other than Google’s own service. Voice integration was cool and unique, but it was done before the SoftBank buyout, so I guess not a surprise it’s now getting axed.

Most carriers offer their own software to do messages though. Verizon does (I use it for work), ATT I’m pretty sure still does (they did 3 years ago), couldn’t tell you on T-Mobile.

That being said, google voice is exponentially better than the versions I used on either Verizon or ATT.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

I was thinking of getting a Pixel, and now I guess I'll need to look into getting in on Google Fi.

Unless you use a poo poo ton of data Fi is a better deal than sprint anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

That plan will only last for 1 year. With this new $15 plan there's no set end date. If the T-Mobile merger is approved and the plan grandfathers through (so you'd effectively get T-Mobile service for $15/month for life) this could end up being one of the best deals on a (US) mobile plan ever, even considering that huge list of strings attached. It's a gamble of course, but one I'm very tempted to take.

Yeah Sprint already has a reputation for kicking people off “lifetime” plans and lord knows T-Mobile is not going to have a priority on supporting old sprint plans.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I tried that this morning, they no longer support Google Voice account numbers as the "port-in" number :(. Gave them a call and worked my way up the chain of reps, and the manager was very eager to sell me a new phone and plan.

That makes no sense. Why wouldn’t they want to move someone’s service from google voice to sprint?

I mean, google voice still works fine overall if need be, so I think you could “live” with your number being on google voice and whatever random number on sprint. Only thing you could miss out on is iMessage. But yeah, I don’t get that one.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

I went to a Sprint store this weekend to look at Apple devices and compare how they handled and weight and the phones were stuck to the display. They could not be lifted.

Anyway that’s my Sprint Sucks story.

Verizon locks them down too now. People lift it, use whatever type of cutter to cut the cord and run out with the phone. Obviously not everyday, but it definitely happens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

SWAC does feel like the early SERO days when it was first opened up to pretty much everyone. For $30 it was a killer deal to get unlimited everything but minutes compared to the garbo plan most of us were on before then since things like Texting and Data were addons to dumbphone plans and 3G was the new hotness.

Then the changes for Smartphones and then 4G that had to kick the plan up in cost which while irritating, at the time in a small way it was justified since data usage was just exploding at that time.

Now to get sooo much more it seems, for in reality a really good deal, is almost too good to be true. Competition is great but I really wonder how the hell Sprint can afford this sort of offering, even to normal users with the $60-80 plans, when they were cutting cost by removing the personal trash cans at their corporate offices and such.

All I can hope is that the idiots that are trying to block the merger better not screw this up. The combined network of T-Mobile + Sprint I can imaging only to be a good thing in the long run, and finally the death of CDMA once and for all hopefully.

Sprint can’t afford the offering. It’s just the only way to compete. This quarter was the first quarter in 11 loving years that they were profitable:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/05/02/sprint-2017-fiscal-year-earnings-report.html

The merger is likely a bad idea for consumers, mostly in it will raise pricings and not help competition. T-Mobile already has raised prices from 2-3 years ago, they’ll make some marketing splashes when the merger first goes through, and then slowly raise prices in a year or two like they did with their first “uncarrier” stuff.

Not necessarily slagging T-Mobile, I’m just saying sprint as a competitor keeps them more in check. And Sprints network is a goddamn mess, good luck integrating that with T-Mobile.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thylacine posted:

Or is Sprint's network that bad that's all they can get out of it?

Ding ding ding.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

corgski posted:

That reeks of a fishing scam since spoofing caller ID is so easy.

A good number of retail stores call customers from years past during downtime , so it’s also possible it was random sales rep phishing for sales.

That said, yeah, never buy for someone calling you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/11/21132924/tmobile-sprint-merger-approved-federal-court-antitrust-lawsuit

Sprint is now officially Dead Man Walking. RIP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

I do hope we can keep our plans. But we all knew this was the better of the two outcomes.

Even if SWAC has to rise $10-20 more its still a good deal.

Will be interesting to see how things still end up playing out. I wonder how long it will take for the tower merge to happen and see if coverage using all their bands happens on some current phones?

Eh, I really don’t think having Dish network, who has talked about building a network for 10 years without doubt so, replace Sprint is really the best answer for consumers and competition.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zapf Dingbat posted:

So now that the merger happened, would it be a good or bad thing to sign up for Sprint? I would think that whatever deal I sign up with might not last.

It’ll take 3ish years for them to fully integrate, so a 2 year deal is probably ok. That said, it’s still Sprint coverage, which will likely be a lower priority for them (upkeep wise) for sure and it’s not like it was good to begin with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Radar posted:

Sprint as an independent entity is officially dead today. Sprint stock is no longer trading, all Sprint shareholders should receive TMUS shares in exchange. Sprint customers will have unlimited roaming access to the T-Mobile network for the time being while they begin transitioning people off the Sprint network.

About time. RIP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I’m gonna keep the thread open until the day Sprint is officially retired (just for the hell of it) and then yeah, we’ll retire the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

My lease is about up. Any chance we'll see T-Mo do those $15/mo leases on the S20s anytime soon? I could do it now but uggghhhhhh $30/mo. :cry:

Yeah, no way they start leasing, no way it’s profitable or the other 3 carriers would have done it at some point.