Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I am on a SERO plan still because I guess I am a rad dude or something, and I am wondering how big a deal having a 4g phone is over a normal smartphone.

My options right now are to go for the LG Optimus S and pay $0 and get a $40 a month SERO plan, or to pay $150 for an HTC Evo Shift and get a $50 a month SERO plan.

Can anyone explain what I am really getting for $150 up front and $10 a month with the HTC Evo Shift?

Also it's important to note that I really don't care for the little slide out keyboard, and would instead prefer a phone form factor more like the normal HTC Evo and LG Optimus S.

I have never had a smart phone before, if that matters. I would be upgrading from a 2 1/2 year old clamshell style dumb phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

If I am SERO, am I going to get nailed by these Premier changes as well?

I just upgraded my phone 2 days ago, so if it does hit me, I wont really notice for a long time, but I am kind of curious if it's affecting everyone.

Having a SERO account in that case looks like it would screw me out of any upgrade rebates in the future, since the SERO plans are too cheap.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

diospadre posted:

I used to have SERO, after two years upgraded to a Hero and an EPRP plan to allow it. I remember talk that you could go back to SERO from EPRP if you previously had it, am I mis-remembering or too late to do this now?

Easiest way to find out is to call, I assume.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I'm not sure where else to ask this, so I'll just ask here: I have a non-rooted LG Optimus S, and one of the programs I installed is Advanced Task Killer, to try to get some better battery life out of it.

Problem is, once I kill all the tasks I don't want running all the time, the next time I unlock the phone to do something and I go check, every single drat app is running again.

How do I actually stop poo poo from just running all the time?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

6-7 hours or so. I live in a house with abysmal cell reception, so it spends ~50% of the time searching for a signal and the rest roaming with 0 bars.

When left plugged into the charger, the charge lasts about 24 hours or so. It charges up to full then slowly starts draining, while plugged in.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

Yea, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that if you are in a situation that's chomping your battery, just leave it plugged into the charger and it will charge to full then just run off the charger power leaving the battery at full. Instead, some part of my phone is still using battery power when plugged in, and chews through it in about a day no matter what I do.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I just got an announcement that google voice integration is now available for me.

One question though: once I integrate, can I just go to the google voice web page and get myself a new number if I move, or do I need to go through sprint at that point?

It's pretty convenient that right now I can just switch my number through the web page, way easier than dicking around with anyone from sprint.

EDIT: second question: the email says: "-MMS is currently not supported by Google Voice. MMS sent from your Sprint handset will always display your Sprint number and won't show in your Google Voice call history."

Does this mean that if I have sprint number A and google voice number B, and I integrate to only have number B, my texts still come from number A?

Mistikman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 3, 2011

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

gently caress.

I just called retentions regarding my abysmal cell service at home, and the guy I talked to said that the signal booster won't actually work for me, since I am not even close enough to a cell tower to get a signal to bounce off.

This means that for as long as I live where I am at, I get effectively no cell service and my battery dies super fast. What a pain in the rear end.

Why would it need to hook into my internet anyways if it needed to be near a cell tower?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

Eunabomber posted:

Stupid question, but if I have the ye olde SERO plan, how do I order a new phone/upgrade to a 4G phone with the least amount of service disruption. Go through the sprint.com store?

Call the SERO phone number in the OP and say you want to upgrade your service to the 4g SERO plan, then they will happily transfer you to phone sales which will handle everything else you need (and if you are lucky like me, waive all fees)

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

My friend's on SERO and is finally looking to upgrade to SERO Premium since he can't gchat at his new job. Is the optimum S at walmart still the best choice? I assume he's eligible for the 2 year upgrade, how does he check that online?

What I did as a SERO customer is just call the SERO phone number, have them switch me to the $40 SERO Premium package, then they transferred me right to phone sales, who handled everything and my phone arrived 2 days later.

Super convenient, gently caress dealing with any store for that.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

sonicice posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed a bunch but I'm a retarded baby.

I'm on original SERO right now. I know I need to call that employee care number and upgrade to SERO Premium to get the Evo 3D. My main concern is, how can I get an Evo 3D on release date? I have the 2 year upgrade discount available so I don't want to walk into just any store and pay full price for it.

I went through telesales. Honestly though, all you need to do it make sure the SERO support people switch your plan to the $50 SERO Premium plan, then your account is all ready for an EVO 3D to be added on.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

For anyone who has used both the Motorola Photon and the EVO 3D: Which one is more powerful? I am getting really tired of my Optimus S and it's slow as poo poo performance, and am not sure which of those 2 phones I should upgrade to.

They both have dual core processors, but the 3D's is 200mhz faster. Being that they are different types of processors, I haven't a clue if that actually matters though. Also, does the Photon support ESMR band and EVDO rev B like the 3D? If not that might be the deciding factor right there. If it does support them, I think the Photon has a bit of an edge over the 3D from what I can see of the features.

Is it safe to assume that since the Photon says 10 hours talk time and the 3D says 6 hours talk time that the Photon battery will last a lot longer even when not being used for voice?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

Is there any way other than calling Sprint to figure out my buyout for my contract? I have an Optimus S and am having some significant issues with it (random rebooting, turning itself off, major intermittent performance problems) and want to get a new phone, but the full cost of a phone I would want is just too high.

My next upgrade isn't until January 1, 2013 :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

As of today I can get a new phone. Can someone convince me not to get a Note 2?

I just grabbed a Note II yesterday and holy balls is it awesome. It has been running on the battery for 12 hours now and is only at 77%. I loving love the battery life so far.

Also, it's better than the S3, in that it has a 1600mhz quad core vs the 1200mhz dual core in the S3.

Better battery life, way faster processor, a stylus which is pretty rad in how it works, and a huge screen (if that's your thing.)