Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Roaming min take out of your min bucket.
OK, I misunderstood it as some additional roaming cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So apparently Sprint has a new activation page that allows accounts with SIM-LTE devices to activate SIMless-LTE devices and vice versa (say, when you're tired of your S4 and want to swap back to your S3).

However, on my "SERO Premium 500" account, step #2 of activation is "Change your plan", for which the page states:

Sprint posted:

Instructions about what the user is seeing and what they need to do on this page to move forward in the ESN swap. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod incidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.
(Not kidding, there's actually Lorem Ipsum on there.)

Anyways, it gives me the option to switch to these plans, none of which are SERO:
  • Unlimited, My Way℠ ($50/mo + $30/mo)
  • My All-in℠ ($110/mo)
  • Individual ($70/mo and up)

So, long story short, if I want to swap devices I have to have a CSR do it, as in the past?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krime posted:

the only ones that have been guaranteed to not be eaten alive by your phone were Samsung brand cards.
Guaranteed? I've had S3s eat two Samsung-brand cards. :smug:

Seriously though, SD cards have awfully poor longevity. Sandisk Ultra cards are pretty good, except the bad ones that get eaten all the time. Make sure to get the good ones.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is there any reason to go the Asurion route?
Is the $95 a quoted figure? Or is that just what cost the last time? That's less than the cost of the entire display/digitizer/glass assembly, making me think they'd just replace the glass, in which case it may be the cheapest overall option but you're paying a lot for labor.

There's two reasons to go with Asurion. The first is that the official Samsung repair process replaces the entire glass, digitizer, and screen, for $172, but what you get is a flawless screen instead of one that might have some imperfections or dust or something from separating the digitizer from the glass. With Asurion you get essentially the same job for $22 less and a fixed phone overnight, instead of ten days later.

Also, if there's any damage to the device besides the glass, like a bent frame, the Asurion route resolves that too.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is there any reason to continue paying for TEP?
Considering that used S3s can be had for not a whole lot more than the deductable, maybe not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So how is the Nexus 5 situation? Are updates as timely as the Play-sold model? Is it generally better than what happened with the Nexus S/Galaxy Nexus?

I'm trying to figure out my Sprint/Samsung exit strategy. I'd just go T-Mo and actually have been testing with a T-Mo SIM for a bit, but they're 2G only on the interstates whereas Sprint has been LTE for a lot of what I drive for a while now. That leaves AT&T, but I might be willing to stick with Sprint if I can at least use a non-hosed-up phone.

Edit: Can I pick up a Play-store N5 and pop in a Sprint SIM? I can't imagine that would actually work, but it would be perfect if it did.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Electronaut posted:

You'll need to pick up a SIM specifically for the N5.
So I still can't SIM swap between devices (S4 and N5) on Sprint?

It'd be nice to have a backup phone, but changing activation on a SERO line is seriously strenuous exercise.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's probably a bit late for me to jump on the N5. My S4 isn't going to blow up anytime soon, so I'll probably just wait for L phone and reevaluate the situation then.

The part that frustrates me the most is that Sprint's data service has been awful forever, but at least their voice worked just fine. But now wherever LTE service is rolling out it seems like voice is going to poo poo. Half the time I pick up calls at home the other side sounds like an unintelligible robot until the call drops five seconds later. It was not always this way.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Jliznel posted:

But just swapping the sim will not transfer service.
That's how it works on Verizon though. They have this nifty capability of automatically transferring and reprovisioning the CDMA-side of the service once it's first associated with an LTE SIM. So Verizon SIMs swaps are intuitive.

I was under the impression that with the Chameleon provisioning software (non-embedded-SIM) Sprint LTE devices worked the same way. Maybe not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is there any reason to think the iPhone 6 would not be available for subsidized upgrade on SERO 500 + Premium Data?

I cringe at the idea of re-upping with Sprint, but my wife wants an iPhone 6 and their voice service quality has gotten back to "reasonable" now that their LTE rollout around here is mostly complete.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
In my experience T-Mobile has equal or better coverage in cities but quickly drops to EDGE once you get outside them. Sprint isn't fantastically better, but they have "at least" EVDO on all Interstate corridors I travel and LTE for much of that even.

Basically, over the past few months I've actually been able to make use of unlimited data with streaming audio on (frequent) long distance trips I make. T-Mo can't do that yet, possibly ever. it's a niche case where Sprint might make sense.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I just can't find the plan to add to my account on Sprint's stupid rear end website.
The new hotspot addons are $20 for 2 GB/mo and $50 for 6 GB/mo. You can add them by logging into your account on Sprint's website and going to "Change my services" in the drop down menu.

I believe the hotspot addons do prorate if you turn them off before the end of the month. So if you only need hotspot for a weekend or something it's considerably cheaper than the monthly rates.

There doesn't appear to be a separate tethering option anymore. It might be rolled into the hotspot addon.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
How are you using 5 GB/mo if the service is so terrible?

I didn't break 2 GB in a month, rarely even 1 GB, until LTE was good enough to do reliable streaming.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Just call and ask for the Canada Roaming Plan. It's $2.99/mo for reduced rates.
You don't even have to call, it can be added as a feature online.

If I recall from my last trip, the $3/mo charge is prorated too. So if you only use it for a week, it's like 75¢. Just be sure to turn the feature off when you get back.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Are Sprint corporate stores really not supposed to touch SERO accounts at all or was I getting the runaround from the CSR?
Whether or not they're "supposed to", SERO accounts are oddball from the store perspective, and even when they want to help, it's been problematic in past experience. Of course, you really just want a SIM card and it would be easy enough for a store to hand you one, but I think they have a policy of not having people walk out of the door with SIMs/devices that aren't active and working.

To be fair, I've run into the exact same crap with Verizon. I needed a new SIM to use for one month of prepaid iPad data ($20) but they wouldn't give me a SIM unless I was activating it on a postpaid account.

Anyways, I found it a straightforward experience to call Sprint and ask them to mail a SIM card. It takes a few days, but if you do it at the time you order the device, it's not so bad.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
It's 2021 and I just came to say that SERO to SWAC still works for any other morons that have ignored this thread for two years.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Since only whitelisted devices are still allowed on Sprint plans, my suspicion is that they're just going to stop adding devices to it. So even if you're already on T-Mobile service, you'll be forced to switch to a T-Mobile plan to use new devices in the future. I just picked up a Pixel 5a, so it's probably 3-4 years for me if they don't force everyone off by then.

Otherwise I don't know if/how they can straight-up switch plans on you if you do literally nothing. I'm sure their T&Cs give them the authority to do that though.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Medullah posted:

I'm going to have to get a new phone this year and I'm not looking forward to the activation dance.
I recently bought an open market (that is, from Google) Pixel 5a and did a "Sprint" eSIM activation on it and it, surprisingly, couldn't have been smoother.

I turned on the phone, connected it to WiFi, did the "Sprint" network activation. It asked me for my phone number, PIN, and the number of the line I wanted to swap. Then it automatically activated on T-Mobile (TNX).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I was able to activate my Pixel 5a on TNX via eSIM and it was astonishingly straightforward--I selected "Sprint" during setup and entered my phone number and PIN.

Probably what helped in that process is I went to a store to get a TNX SIM for my Pixel 2 a few days before, as I wanted to transition that over before deactivating it in case I needed to go back to it again.