Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Carnage posted:

So I can have a cut and dry answer, I currently have a the everything data plan + TEP and a 10% discount. If I were to get on the EPRP, would I basically be saving $10 or would I lose my discount too?

Duckman2008 posted:

Corporate discounts like 25% for working at UPS do NOT apply to EPRP.

Not sure how you're getting the 10% discount, but if it's because of your employer you're probably better off staying with your current plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ozmodiar posted:

You, sir, are a better man than I am. I went out and BOUGHT MY OWN phone to use at work instead of that WinMo 6 POS.
\/\/\/\/\/\/

Actually, the Q was WinMo 5. (I used to have one.)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

Edit: Google Voice with Sprint Integration launches April 26th.

Is there an official announcement anywhere visible to the public? I know a couple people who've been looking forward to this, and I want to have something to show them beyond "guy on message board".

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT: Nevermind, less angry than I was at the time I posted this.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 25, 2011

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

porksmash posted:

I've heard the term 'spending limit' a few times now in regards to Sprint plans. Can anyone explain exactly what that means?

It means they only allow you to spend up to so much per month. Generally applied to accounts that have bad or no credit, and gets removed after you pay your bills consistently on time for a long enough period.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Question for the Sprint people in the thread.

How common is it for an Airave to screw up the GPS on a phone connected to it? Managed to get one from Retentions, but once it was hooked up my Evo decided it was on the other side of the state.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea, I guess you could call tech support at 877-735-8405. Maybe also try signing onto your wifi network?

I did both. One tech said it was a known issue, but I haven't about it from anyone in the thread (that I saw before now at least) and it took about six calls before I got to that point, so I'm not sure how common the issue is.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 1, 2011

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chow-King posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/htc-evo-3d-gets-more-radioshack-love-june-24-sticks-out-as-poss/

Boom, EVO 3D June 24.

I'm on old SERO. How would I go about getting this? Call the number listed on the front page, upgrade to new SERO, and order the phone at the same time? Or do I need to upgrade to new SERO, wait for new billing cycle, then order phone?

I had to upgrade from old SERO to SERO Premium when I bought my Evo. It actually wasn't very hard -- what I wound up doing was calling up and order the phone, have them bill it to mu account, and then call again once it arrived to activate and switch over to SERO Premium.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a question for the Sprint employees in this thread. My brother has an old HTC Touch Pro 2 that he's looking to unlock for domestic GSM use as part of an elaborate "port parents' landline number to Google Voice" scheme. He is currently on their family plan, which (if it matters any) I know for a fact is Premier Silver. Said plan has been active for over two years, and the Touch Pro 2's last activity was on that plan before being replaced with an Evo Shift.

Give all this, is it possible to have Sprint unlock the Touch Pro 2's GSM radio for domestic use, or would it be necessary to pay someone like this guy? (As near as I tell, some sort of unlock separate from the RUU unlock has to take place before a domestic-GSM radio can be flashed onto the phone. However, given that I have no experience with unlocking GSM phones, and my only source of information on the subject as it applies to the TP2 has been xda-developers, I could very easily be wrong.)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

An easier way is just adding a line, port number to that number, then port out within 30 days and cancel the line.

Might be easiest to do it that way, then. From some of the stuff I found the TP2 is already unlocked for non-US GSM bands, but again, xda-developers.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

letsgoflyers81 posted:

The Olipro unlock you linked to should allow you to use any SIM and any GSM network, but I never bothered to try it. Either way, I don't think there's anything Sprint can or will do for you to let the phone connect to a domestic GSM network.

Alright, thanks, that helps. I'll probably just end up advising my brother to see if any of his friends have a crappy old GSM phone he can borrow for the process.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's no good way to do that on Sprint that I'm aware of - you would need them on two totally separate plans.

I know it was possible for my family to do that a few years back with my brother's phone -- of course, once renewal time came, my father wanted a smartphone so they just switched over to the Everything Data family plan. (We were also living in an area that has since gone from being an affiliate market to a corporate, so that may also have had something to do with it.)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

djbaseball24 posted:

Anyone have luck with upgrading before contract is up?, I've herd stories of people re-signing a new 2yr contract when they still had about 2 months left, I have 50 days and my phone is just about dead and I really need a new phone, any ideas? Retention's?

You can buy a subsidized upgrade 2 months before the contract ends. Log into Sprint.com and try to buy a new phone - clicking the "upgrade my device" button will tell you how long you actually have to wait.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Boten Anna posted:

Stupid question, those SERO prices, if I'm looking for a 2 line family plan, would I have to add $20 to the quoted monthly price for both lines having smartphones?

If you don't already have SERO, you're not getting on.

EPRP plans do appear to require the extra $10/month for smartphones, judging from http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Boten Anna posted:

The site linked in the OP seemed to work, is it closed now? :sigh:

The only site I can find linked is the EPRP one -- where exactly were you?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
While people are bombarding you with questions, Duckman, I have one.

My birthday is in August. I want to buy a Galaxy Nexus as a gift for myself. Problem is, my upgrade eligibility date is September.

Will the early upgrade cancellation thing IOwnCalculus posted on page 236 prevent Retentions from bumping my eligibility up a month unless I buy the contract out, or is that still something they'd be allowed to do? (My current phone was purchased when upgrade eligibility was still at the 22-month line, if that matters any.)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

The Entire Universe posted:

gently caress Non-Nexus Phones.

My sister picked up a new Android phone a few months ago after her old dumbphone crapped out. The Sprint sales rep was pushing for a Motorola Photon, but I talked her into getting a Nexus S (since she didn't want to wait for the Galaxy Nexus, which was I think a month and a half out at the time).

Every time I talk to her I am reminded that I made a good recommendation.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hoppy posted:

On top of this, Sprint was the only major carrier with no ETA on releasing Android 4.1.

You sure about that? I'm not aware of Verizon announcing a release date either.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In short, while everything worked out alright for me in the end, it's not something they do typically, so it'll take a while to sort out and there's the chance they could botch it. If you can, it's probably easier to order online or via telesales and just want a day for them to overnight the phone.

Thank you for posting this. I'm about to upgrade from an OG Evo to a Galaxy Nexus, and was considering trying to obtain the actual phone at a nearby corporate store. I'll put up with the broken screen for an extra day if it means not having to worry about my SERO Premium plan getting hosed up.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Krime posted:

What happens if you buy out the upgrade? Do they reset it to the month in which you do that?

Buying out the upgrade means that you are immediately eligible -- so essentially, yes. (Just pulled the trigger on the option myself a few days ago.)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

traslin posted:

So do all the other GNex's have official updates at this point? I haven't seen anything about the other carriers releasing JB for the Gnex, but I don't follow non-Sprint news all that closely.

GSM versions have official updates from Google, CDMA are still lacking but do have various quasi-to-semi-functional ROMs floating around XDA.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ExcessBLarg! posted:

These were actually in store upgrades, despite my previous warnings to never do that. Which I still don't recommend, near disasters I tell you.

Yeah, I wound up doing the in-store option despite my previous decision otherwise because I didn't want to risk having to play door tag with FedEx. It wound up taking two visits, three hours, and at least four phone calls to employee support before I was able to walk out the door with my new phone.

In retrospect I should have risked the door tag.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ooh did they accuse you of committing fraud?

One of the employees did threaten to kick me off SERO whether or not I actually bought the new phone that day, does that count? (Fortunately, the woman who actually rang up the purchase was a hell of a lot more helpful.)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

CombatCupcake posted:

Not sure if this has been covered....
I'd like to upgrade my HTC EVO 4g to the Evo LTE, but the site is telling me I'd need to upgrade my plan?
I'm on SERO Premium ($50/month). Is this right or do I need to call in? I don't want to upgrade my plan.

It's a quirk of going from a WiMax device to an LTE device. Your monthly fee won't change if the upgrade is done properly, but you're better off calling the employee care number regardless.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ninmeister posted:

Speaking of that, is that offer still available?

The code is still visible on the order page for the extended battery, so I assume so.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

brc64 posted:

I played with a Galaxy S3 at some giant Samsung kiosk in the mall today. I kind of dig it... my wife also fell in love with it. We decided, for the hell of it, to go to Sprint and ask what the buyback on our phones was.

Evo 3D - $53
Galaxy Nexus - $45

:wtc:

That's about what I was expecting for the Evo 3D, but I was pretty surprised that the Galaxy Nexus gets less.

I need to stop looking at new phones. I'm not even close to out of contract, and even when I am, I'm going to get hosed over by the discount verification thing they're doing now. :(

The depressing thing about those prices is that I got $48 buyback for my Evo 4G with a broken LCD screen. (I'm still not sure how it broke -- the glass was in one piece, the back was intact, but the LCD had huge black gaps spidering across it.)

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

RodShaft posted:

Is there a way to make it where phones cannot buy premium apps, or buy add-ons for freemium apps?

The Google Play Store app allows you to set parental controls and/or require a PIN before purchasing anything.

RodShaft posted:

Do all android phones have the $10 premium data charge?

I believe so, yes.

RodShaft posted:

Is there a decent deal on getting internet to a laptop, or is rooting the only way to not pay an arm and a leg?

Pretty sure you'll have to root.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

How will turning Wi-Fi off hurt my battery?

Short version: the phone needs to put out a lot less energy to contact something as close by as a Wi-Fi access point than it needs to contact a tower. Look up the inverse-square law if you want to go into the mathematical detail.

berzerkmonkey posted:

How can I possibly use Wi-Fi to pick up a cell signal?

With smartphones, the point to using Wi-Fi is that you don't have to transmit via cell towers for the data connection. As has been explained, that means less battery drain.

That said, the Airrave should eliminate tower distance as an issue in the power consumption. If replacing the battery like bigpolar suggested doesn't help, then it could very easily just be the phone itself that's crappy in this case rather than being specifically because of Sprint. While it's not hard to find people complaining about the E4GT's battery life, most of those complaints feature such genius suggestions as "install a task killer" and "turn off Wi-Fi". The fact that the femtocell is apparently not having much of an impact would probably indicate that the phone would still be worthless even if you managed to trick Verizon into activating it.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Eunabomber posted:

Hooray for TEP. My EVO4G(itself a replacement for a dead 3D) had a broken camera, and I have the option of a replacement EVO or S3. Am I a crazy person for wanting to stick with the EVO? Other than my familiarity with it/sense, I can't think of anything it does better than the S3.

I do understand all the HTC complaints in this thread now...

Choosing an Evo 4G over a Galaxy S3 would probably qualify you as crazy and/or stupid, yes.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Good news for those of you with a Galaxy Nexus:

http://www.androidcentral.com/42-update-sprint-galaxy-nexus-live-google-s-servers-ripe-picking

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

SuperNuts posted:

So what's the deal with SERO now? I had the old school SERO plan for like $40/mo with my dumb phone. About 2 years ago I upgraded to the HTC Evo 3D when it came out, they made me pay a bit more and change my plan to the SERO Premium 500. I was just checking out how much credit they're offering a new phone for, and every good phone I look at now says I'd have to change my plan to upgrade. Are they trying to phase out the SERO plans? Are there any SERO type plans that work with the HTC LTE phone?

I'm thinking it's not really worth upgrading if my plan will change to a normal plan.

SERO Premium for WiMax phones is for some reason or another different in their system than SERO Premium on LTE phones. You'll just need to call Sprint to make the change, it'll still have the same monthly fee in the end.

I feel like this gets asked at least once every other page. Think you can edit something into the FAQ, Duckman?

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 21, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

bobula posted:

Plan changes have to be called in. You're going from SERO Premium-Wimax to SERO Premium-LTE.

And try to avoid doing it through the store unless you have no other option.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The LTE rollout continues.

quote:

Today, Sprint is launching 4G LTE in:
  • Baton Rouge, La.
  • Centralia, Wash.
  • Clarksville, Tenn.
  • Corsicana, Texas
  • Dalton, Ga.
  • Dunn, N.C.
  • Fond du Lac, Wis.
  • Gainesville, Fla.
  • Henderson, N.C.
  • Kingsport, Tenn.
  • Lansing/East Lansing, Mich.
  • Longview, Wash.
  • Miami
  • Napa, Calif.
  • New Orleans
  • Palatka, Fla.
  • Raleigh, N.C.
  • Sebring, Fla.
  • St. Cloud, Minn.
  • St. Joseph/Benton Harbor, Mich.
  • Tampa, Fla.
  • Warsaw, Ind.

Sprint also announced more places that will be getting LTE in the coming months, including:
  • Grand Rapids, Mich.
  • Aberdeen, Wash.
  • Allegan, Mich.
  • Ann Arbor, Mich.
  • Battle Creek, Mich.
  • Corpus Christi, Texas
  • Eagle Pass, Texas
  • Flint, Mich.
  • Laredo, Texas
  • Marshfield/Wisconsin Rapids, Wis.
  • Mount Pleasant, Mich.
  • Oak Harbor, Wash.
  • Watertown/Fort Atkinson, Wis.

http://newsroom.sprint.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=11039

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DanAdamKOF posted:

My Galaxy Nexus is on the stock 4.2.1 Sprint firmware, with root (rooted via Mskips' Galaxy Nexus Toolkit). There's a 4.3 OTA update available now. I have OTA Rootkeeper, but I'm reading that it won't work when updating to 4.3. How can I keep root when installing the OTA update, or if I can't at all, what can I do to re-root after installing the OTA without having to reinstall everything?

It's a Nexus, so unless the bootloader relocked itself along the way (which I have never actually seen happen just from an OTA update), you should be fine. Just reboot into the bootloader, use fastboot to flash on a custom recovery (I personally used Clockwork), then use adb to sideload the superuser app of your choice.

The mechanism hasn't exactly changed going from 4.2.1 to 4.3. The OTA update might kill off root, but the toolkit should be able to put it right back if you're not comfortable with using the command line.

EDIT: I mean, you'll want the most recent version of the toolkit, but that's more a matter of making sure it doesn't install an incompatible superuser app than anything.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 7, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Today I have been reminded of how much I hate my local corporate store.

My Nexus 5 arrives, I go in to pick up a microSIM, they claim to have never gotten any. I should point out that this is probably the only corporate store with a repair center in about 50 miles. I call up support, they say that it doesn't make any sense but they'll try to get a hold of them and see what can be done.

Eventually I get back to the store. They try to charge me 50 bucks, I call support again, and before I even finish describing the problem the guy comes out of the back and hands me the microSIM. I get home, try to activate, and I find out I was given the wrong SIM.

So now I have to wait for however the gently caress long the international department has them back ordered. July 23rd can't come soon enough.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

beamrider posted:

On the other hand, I'm also a Prime subscriber, and I've never gotten a single item delivered on the weekend. Order it Thursday? Get it Monday. Might depend on what the item is, and what warehouse it's being shipped from, tho.

I've gotten stuff on the weekend (most recent was a wireless charger on the 23rd), but it's not common and depends on who's handling shipping. (Specifically, I think it's only FedEx that delivers on Saturday.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

UFO posted:

Grandma's sero (i got the entire family accounts) is up for renewal finally. Looking at the G2, what are the exact steps I'll need to take to get the discounts and yet still stay on the SERO+ plan?

Do I order it online through the sprint store but then call to activate?

Might be safest or easiest to just start by calling them.