Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

A quick questions for those familiar with Blackberries on Sprint. My fiance is going to be replacing her older Curve 8330 with a Tour 9630 that a friend gave to her. Now the 9630 uses a SIM card while the Curve does not, and they took out the sim card before giving it to her. Will I have to go into Sprint for a new SIM card, or will the phone work without one? She doesn't need the world function of the phone, and I was hoping all I'd have to do is activate it online, but I want to be sure I'm taking the necessary steps before accidentally causing her to be without a phone for however long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Chappy posted:

It only uses a SIM for international travel. If you don't plan on traveling with it, it will work fine without the SIM.

That's what I figured, but my Googling wouldn't turn up an answer. Thanks for the quick response!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi everyone, the Silver temporary upgrade policy is only for anyone who set to be eligible April 1st through June 30th. Anyone else is basically deemed as missing their shot I guess. Bummer.

What if you already had an upgrade available but had yet to use it? I had an upgrade since October but was waiting for the next round of phones, so now I'd have to wait till this October unless the change in the policy applies to me as well.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

It's finally time for my fiance and I to upgrade our phones and I'll probably end up with a Evo3d (from a Hero) and she seems to like the original Evo. We both plan to get cases for our phones, and while it might seem like overkill I also like to put full body protective skins on our phones too (we work in a pretty physical field where our phones should be well protected). I'm leaning towards the highest level Otterbox for the 3D, and I'll have to see what she wants to get but my question is if there is anyone here who has a full body skin on their 3D or original Evo and also has it in a case? If so, what case?

I ask as I know some cases just won't fit when you add the extra "bulk" of a skin on the phone, and I'd like to be sure that if I put skins on the phones they'll still fit in the case.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Has anyone here picked up the Seidio Active for their Evo 3d?

While the otterbox defender provides some excellent protection the Seidio Active reminds me a lot of the case I have on my ipod touch from switcheasy that I really like. I think it just released though so I can't find very many pictures or reviews of it yet.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

mtr posted:

I have this for the Evo 4G and I highly recommend it. The case for the 3D looks to be made the exact same way as the 4G case. The only problem I've had with it is that if you drop it directly on one of the plastic corners, there's a good chance that the plastic corner snaps off. All four of my plastic corners are gone, but the plastic backing can still attach using the middle two "hooks".

It feels good in your hand, the plastic backing offers a good surface for the phone to sit on, and I have no physical damage to the phone even when I've dropped it from 3 or 4 feet onto the ground.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered the Active for the Evo 3d and a Active for the Evo as my fiance and I are upgrading on Saturday and we wanted to have cases ready for the phones to go into.

You don't by any chance have a full body skin on your Evo 4G as well, do you? I like having that extra layer of protection but sometimes that extra millimeter of thickness can mess up how cases fit over the phone. Probably overkill, but it worked well for me with my Hero.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Hey Duckman, you don't by any chance know what the store cost is for the Otterbox Defender case for the Evo 3d is, do you? I'm wondering what the markup is on one of those.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Has anyone had any luck with a Sprint store matching prices on phones from Amazon? Or tossing some free accessories your way to make up for the price difference? We're able to get our upgrades tomorrow and the Evo and Evo 3D are both priced cheaper on Amazon than in store. Along with the savings and the bonus $15 credits thrown your way right now Amazon seems like the smarter option, but I'm also wondering how in store support is if you buy your phones elsewhere.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

Not gonna happen, they always out price us. I don't think corporate stores can flex prices at all. 3rd party can do a little bit but upgrades honestly just aren't worth our while to match pricewise.

For instance, the most i could offer is $20 off each phone, and a free accessory. And that's pushing it.

In store support is fine, especially after 30 days. Within 30 days you'll get a look and get told to call Amazon if the phone is having problems. For stuff like transferring contacts/pictures every Sprint store is REQUIRED to help you whether you bought the phone from them or not on that one. Most Sprint reps obviously just are not as enthusiastic.

My policy is "sure i will help you" but if i have a potential customer come up, my customers get priority. Just don't be obnoxious and don't be that guy that rubs it in that you got it cheaper elsewhere (always a sore subject) and you will be fine.

Thanks for the response. If we could get $20 off each phone and a free accessory I think we'd be pretty happy. We'd of course much rather buy in store and be able to walk out with our phones today, but we want to be sure we get a decent deal as well. I'm always pretty nice when talking to sales reps as I've been one myself, and I find when you are nice people are willing to do more for you.

Of course I'm not even sure if we could order our upgrades through Amazon. The person I spoke to through retentions earlier in the week said she pushed our upgrade date from August 1st to the today, but when I checked our upgrade eligibility just now Amazon (and Sprint.com) both still said the 1st.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I upgraded from a Hero to an Evo 3D a couple of weeks ago and it reminded me of when I first received my Hero as my first smart phone. I no longer have to question whether my phone can run any given app, I don't have to wait for the phone to play catch up as I type, and everything zips along beautifully. I went through Amazon Wireless and the process was quick and painless. Amazon was offering the Evo 3D for $179, plus an additional $15 in credits ($5 app store, $5 Mp3, $5 Kindle) which was too good of an offer to pass up.

My only, very minor, complaint so far is that when I use HTC's People widget the photos it uses for each person are blurry, most likely due to the high resolution of the 3D's screen compared to other HTC phones that also have that widget available. It's taking what I'm assuming is a smaller photo the phone sucked in for each contact from Facebook and blowing it up much larger than it's meant to be displayed. Like I said, a very minor issue, but a little annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know of a solution to get the images to display at a higher resolution?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I'm looking to sell my HTC Hero now that I've upgraded. I've done a factory reset on the phone and erased all of my data however I noticed when I go into the Phone Identity settings it still shows my phone number and my sprintpcs.com username. Is this normal until someone else gets the phone and activates it? Or is there a way to erase that information as well?

I want to be sure I'm resetting/erasing everything correctly before selling it.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

McPhearson posted:

Dial ##786#, hit the menu button, choose reset, and enter your MSL. That removes all programming info and sets the phone to how it was when you got it.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't ever done this before though and I'm completely unfamiliar with what my MSL is or how I might find it. I googled around and couldn't really find a straight answer. It looks like it might be something I have to contact Sprint to get? Or is there another method?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=12529

Anyone who has a WiMax phone can leave or upgrade .

I'm also curious how this works as I'm on an Evo3D and my wife is on an original Evo4g. Although with our agreements up mid July I have my doubts they would give us a free upgrade.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Duckman2008 posted:

You have to be eligible for an upgrade if your contract is up, and your contract is quite probably void. Upgrade your phones or switch.

Sorry I'm a little confused by what you're saying. We are eligible for an upgrade (apparently since March according to MySprint) and our contracts are up July 18th. Do you mean since we are eligible for an upgrade we could get a free LTE device, or are you saying since we are so close to our contracts being up we wouldn't be able to?

I'm also guessing Sprint isn't going to let you choose the latest and greatest LTE devices, but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What he's saying is this:

Since it's 20 months since you're last upgrade, you're eligible for a subsidized upgrade like anyone else is.

Alternatively, since you have WiMAX devices, you can bail out of your contract early without having to pay a prorated ETF if you would prefer to switch to a different carrier now.

If you upgrade, get an S3 at minimum. Or an iPhone 5, One, or S4, but those three will be a bit more expensive.

You don't want a Photon Q, or even an Evo LTE at this point.

Ah yeah, that is what I figured but I was hoping since we are still technically under contract we'd be able to sneak in for these free upgrades they are offering WiMax owners rather than having to pay for new phones on the off chance they would actually upgrade you to a newer LTE phone. Thanks.

We will probably stick with Sprint and I seem to have been successful at getting my wife interested in the S4 which is much better than two years ago when she wanted the already nearing end of life Evo because she didn't like the shape of the just released 3D. I know every single carrier does it but it still annoys me that new customers get better pricing on phones that current customers looking to renew. A new Sprint customer can get an S4 through Amazon for $129 where-as an upgrade is $199. Has anyone ever had any luck talking to retentions and getting a good deal on phones when bringing that up, or any other decent methods of getting better pricing on new phones?