Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I really doubt Apple would let Sprint dictate something like that to them...

Plus, you can pre-order the Sprint iPhone through Apple's website...

I guess I'll find out tomorrow. If the universe wants me to get an iPhone tomorrow, then it'll happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Apple store sells the iphone for sprint, and i would bet the guarantee is 14 days. Restocking fees are usually $35.

Bought my 4S today from the Apple Store.

Activated it in the store...no hassle at all.

The guy I talked to said there is a no hassle 30 day return policy.

Also...from the Apple Website:

quote:

iPhone Return Policy

If you are not fully satisfied with your iPhone purchase, you can return your undamaged iPhone to the Apple Online Store within 30 calendar days from shipment for a full refund by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE. If you return your iPhone within 30 calendar days from shipment, you will not be charged a restocking fee. The iPhone must be returned in the original packaging, including any accessories, manuals, and documentation. For more details, refer to iPhone Help page.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 27, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Btw, I was wrong about sprint unlocking to iPhone. They will unlock it as long as you are in good standing and have been a customer for more than 3 months. And if you have a spending limit I think you have to go to the corporate store.

Good to know. I would love to throw in a prepaid AT&T SIM when I travel in a few weeks.

Last time I went to the area, I had no service with Sprint, and my parents had no service with Verizon, but my girlfriend had no problems with AT&T.

Not exactly Sprint related...but does anyone know how prepaid data plans work? Is there even such a thing?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Well, that's disheartening.

Are there any Jailbreak solutions yet?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Q_res posted:

Actually, Sunday my 3D got a PRL update pushed to it. No idea what the update did though.

Speaking of PRL Updates...how do I check for these from my iPhone? I've dug around in the Settings menu, but I don't seen an option to check for updates. Do I have to call into Sprint to ask them?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

##update# does a profile update. IPhone only.

Thanks. Worked perfectly.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

My sarcasm detector is broken, but this seems stupid. Aren't they cash-strapped to the point of not being able to build out their network (or provide enough backhaul to their network to make sure metro areas get greater than 10kbps)? Why are they wasting money on this bullshit?

Because it worked so well for T-Mobile. Duh.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Krittick posted:

Final follow up to this: Sprint just now decided to resend every failed text message from the beginning of this issue. All at once, to 10+ people. Out of nowhere. With my phone off. :suicide:

...just because I'm curious...were all of these texts supposed to go to all these people...or did it send messages to people that weren't supposed to get it?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

CRUISECONTROL posted:

There any info on why LTE building penetration would be better? I would assume that Sprint would be using basically the same spectrum for LTE as they currently do for WiMAX.

Because Sprint is re-purposing the 800mhz band that the iDEN network currently runs on for their LTE rollout. 800mhz will provide better building penetration.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

TLG James posted:

Is sprint still giving out airraves if you bitch enough over the phone?

I sure hope so. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need one at my new apartment....

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

td4guy posted:

Fun fact: different areas have differing amounts of subscribers per tower, and thusly have varying degrees of overloadedness, ranging from "overloaded" to "hella overloaded".

Well, I know that I am shocked by this information.

I really hope Sprint hurries the gently caress up with all their upgrades. It gets harder and harder to stick with them when I run Speedtest and get 0.07Mbps down, 0.01Mbps up, and a ping of 1226ms at work... :-/

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

ddogflex posted:

God I wish I wouldn't have bought a 4S on Sprint. 3G just doesn't exist in Portland anymore. It's bullshit and they will do NOTHING to fix the problem. They won't even goddamned admit there is one, yet everyone I know on Sprint is having problems and their own forums have people with problems. I would be happy as a pig in poo poo if I even got 100kB/s. 1-10kB/s. That's between, what, 1/100th and 1/1000th their advertised speed? I wish I could take my phone, that I bought out of contract, to another carrier. loving T-Mobile on EDGE only would be better. This is really, really getting old.

I'm starting to feel the same way in Dayton/Cincinnati, OH. I keep checking network.sprint.com and see that they have TONS of planned updates in the areas I frequent...so I keep telling myself to "just wait a little longer"...but my patience is wearing thin too.

The flip side is that I have a hard time justifying paying an extra $60 per month to go to Verizon/AT&T (I pay for 2 phones on my plan - mine and my brother).

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Another "I can't wait to ditch Sprint" guy here.

I've been a customer with them since 1999, and they were actually pretty decent up until about a year ago. I stuck with them because the price was right, I love the GV integration, and I was fooled by the NV promises...but I can't take the AWFUL data speeds at work, and along most of my 45 minute drive to work each day. Throw in the fact that they've taken away every "perk" they had (unlimited data is a joke if you can't use it. Yearly upgrades were awesome...but no more. They sent me a message on Sprint.com saying I'd need to verify my Discount that I've been using for the last 10 years without question, etc.)

I did the math, and I should be able to take my 3 lines and join someone elses Verizon Share Plan and pay no more (maybe even less) money each month. (All 3 of my lines combined us less than 1GB each month because the data speeds are so awful anywhere we go that isn't on WiFi...so even if I went to 6GB with Verizon, I'd pretty much break even).

Have there been any ToS updates or any other ways to get out of your contract early, lately? I can wait until March (when one line is out of contract) and then pay $280 in ETF for the other two lines...but if I can ditch Sprint sooner, I would.

I have an iPhone 4S...is there any way to force roaming? I get better data speeds roaming on Verizon than I do on Sprint 3G. I'm open to just about any suggestion.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Cincinnati/Dayton, OH reporting in. Speeds are TERRIBLE 95% of the time and barely tolerable the other 5%. Doesn't really seem to matter where I am in either city...even along the I-75 corridor, which is one of the most heavily traveled roads in the US.

I'm paying my ETF in February and moving to Verizon...after being a Sprit customer for more than 10 years.

On one hand, I'll be a little sad to go, since Sprint was pretty good to me most of the time, but it's just gotten worse and worse over the last 3 years, and I can't take it anymore.

I could use 3x the data I do now and break even on Verizon's Family Share plan, so I see no reason to not switch.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

allcowseatgrass posted:

Ok, I have been a Sprint evangelist since 2007, preaching the virtues of unlimited data to any friends that would actually listen. This has been going on for 2 weeks now though:

I can still get a decent WiMax signal if I'm within 100' of a Sprint store, but I'm getting pretty pissed off with an unusable phone at work where it used to be just fine. The signal strength hasn't changed. It has always been between -90 and -98db and I could stream music just fine.

My question for you goons is who should I complain to at sprint? I'm on sero premium with an Evo4g if that matters.

Looks like the speeds I'm getting in Southwest Ohio...so I feel your pain. I've complained on Twitter, but they basically told me nothing shows as being wrong on their network, and to check the network vision updates site.

I'd love to know if there was somewhere else I can complain that might get results...but it's probably a futile effort to do so.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Ender.uNF posted:

My stock answer is give the iPhone a try and if you don't like it, sell it and use the funds to buy a different phone at retail price; they hold value really well compared to other phones. So far I haven't had anyone take me up on the "sell it" part.

YMMV of course.

Seconding this. I went through 3 Android phones (HTC Hero, HTC Evo 4G, Nexus S) before I decided to give the iPhone a go (Currently using a 4S). There are things I still like better about Android (notifications, the Gmail App, the ability to customize, etc)...but I'm very happy with my iPhone.

I got the 4S on the premise that if I didn't like it, I could sell it and buy another Android phone. The reason I wanted an iPhone was for the better battery life (the 4S kicks the poo poo out of any Android phone I've used), and a better camera (same story as the battery life)... A year later, and I have little intention of switching back to Android.

I never jailbroke my 4S because I was tired of constantly loving with my phone, and wanted something that would "just work"... The iPhone has held up to that 99% of the time...and Apple's customer support (via the Apple Stores) is light years ahead of anything an competitor can offer. Throw in the Apple TV for AirPlay, an it's even further ahead.

As Ender said...YMMV, but you really can't go wrong with this plan.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

The "new Nexus" hasn't even been announced yet, so there's really no way of knowing.

Edit: drat you ExcessBlarg!

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

fyallm posted:

She really likes the physical keyboard, but Im pretty sure the Galaxy S3 blows it out of the water?

Physical Keyboards are a niche product (at best) and only going to get even more rare going forward.

I was firmly in that camp myself...but thanks to autocorrect, I'm almost as accurate and fast with a virtual keyboard as I was with a physical one. Add in Voice to Text and its even less of an issue.

Plus, everyone I know who gets a phone with a physical keyboard stops using it (and just uses the virtual keyboard) within several weeks of getting the phone.

It's seriously just easier for her to move past it now and stop worrying about it.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Sorry if I came off as smug or trolling...I actually was trying to be helpful.

There may very well be a device or two out there that have a decent keyboard...I'll just be shocked if she actually uses it all that often. Every friend/family member that "had to have" a physical keyboard later told me they regretted not getting a phone without it because they stopped using it almost immediately...and they have all either already moved on or will soon.

It just severely limits your options when picking a new device, when there are so many good phones out there to choose from if this requirement is dropped.

Best of luck though. I'd be interested to hear how often she uses it if she insists on the keyboard.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Ender.uNF posted:

Remember: friends don't let friends use iTunes.

It never ceases to amaze me what a piece of poo poo iTunes is.

I'm hoping that the new update due out this month will be a complete refresh and will make it not such a piece of poo poo...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a confession for the Sprint thread: I have been interviewing at AT&T and Verizon. I am expecting a call from AT&T Monday ish with an official job offer, and will be putting in a two week notice at my current sprint sales job.

Thats awesome! Best of luck!

I'm switching from Sprint to Verizon in Feb/March...the service is awful in my area and all the "perks" I've enjoyed over the years have been slowly stripped away. They've always treated me right as a customer, but the coverage/data speeds just aren't worth it anymore.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

beamrider posted:

Anyone have any idea when Columbus OH is supposed to get LTE?

Howdy fellow Ohio goon.

Sprints network has turned to crap in Ohio over the last 2-3 years (I was living in Toledo 3 years ago, dating my now Fiancée who lived in Cincinnati at the time, and moved to north of Cincinnati with her in January. I also now work in Dayton)

I can confirm that everything along the I-75 corridor is complete crap for data coverage. Voice coverage is really good, but I spend half my time on 1x data.

I also spend a good amount of time in Columbus, and I don't fare much better there.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

mesc posted:

I got fed up and emailed dan@sprint.com and after a very pleasant conversation and investigation by them to ensure I wasn't lying they let me out of my contract (just re-upped in July). Being a customer in good standing for over a decade might have helped though.

I'd love to know more about this. Sprint has become awful in my area over the past 2 years, and I'd love to find a way out of my contract (1 year old now) without an ETF.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Ender.uNF posted:

Amazingly informative post.

Dude...your posts are not only incredibly informative, but also written in a way that even I can understand.

Thank you for being you.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

beamrider posted:

*sighs* Will there ever be any LTE love for C-bus OH?!? I mean, I really like the S3, but this 3G is horribly slow. drat phone will be outdated before we get LTE...

Just before they do Dayton, OH and Cincinnati, OH...then Hell will freeze over.

At least you get 3G...I spent 2/3 of my time on 1x...though I suppose that's a blessing in disguise since I get faster data speeds on 1x than 3G anyhow.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

I swear Sprint is avoiding all NV updates in Ohio just to gently caress with me.

That said, I'd swear I'm getting better (re: still lovely, but not infuriatingly super lovely lovely) speeds between Dayton and Cincinnati today (got the iOS 6.1 update last night)

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

KillHour posted:

Is there a map that shows when 4G is supposed to come to a specific area?

I'm in Buffalo, and I'll be upgrading my Evo soon, but having an LTE compatible phone won't do me much good if it's not until 2053 (I know it's probably going to happen at some point this year, but I'm impatient, goddamnit!).

Found this on S4GRU...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/3101-map-of-current-and-coming-soon-sprint-lte-cities/

Fantastic...nothing happening at all in Ohio.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

So, is the sprint iphone5 as bad as everyone says it is on sprint.com, sprintusers.com, and everywhere else?

I can't comment on the 5 itself, but I have the 4S...

It's a great phone on a terrible network. Sprint has done NOTHING Network Vision related (as far as I can tell) in Ohio, so anywhere I go on a regular basis = terrible data speeds.

The battery life/camera are worlds better than any android phone I had before I got the 4S last year, and I love the phone on WiFi.

So, I think the problem is more "Sprint related" than anything.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Ender.uNF posted:

Think about the number of crews required to fully update NYC, now apply those people to the entire state of Ohio.

...but I don't want to wait that long. :(

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Verizon's LTE in Cincinnati/Columbus/Dayton (where I spend 99% of my time) is pretty spectacular, actually.

On the "plus" side, the fact that my bonus sucked rear end last quarter, and paying for a wedding is more important, I'll be holding off on paying my ETF and moving to Verizon. Maybe Sprint will get their poo poo together in the meantime and I'll just stick with Sprint.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Is there a way to force roam on Verizon with my iPhone 4S? I'd LOVE to have Sprint kick me off contract so I can get out of my ETF...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

TVs Ian posted:

Well, they're doing something south of Cincinnati. We're having issues where people's calls are being connected to the wrong people.

One of our other stores in Indiana says they had that sort of problem when they started rolling out Network Vision.

Doesn't really help the pissed-off customers to tell them it's because of a network upgrade in progress unfortunately.

It's about goddamn time. Hopefully they move quickly to the North side (where I live) and then along the I-75 corridor (you know...only one of the most heavily traveled roads in America) to Dayton quickly...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Anyone else seeing REALLY LONG delays in text messages coming from people on other networks?

I live in Cincinnati, OH and the seem to send/receive just fine when I'm home...but when I'm anywhere other than my house (for example: I work in Dayton, OH and I was in Columbus, OH this weekend) I'm seeing 5 or 6 hour delays on receiving messages.

I emailed Sprint support, but it says it can be 3-5 days before they get back with you...

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

azurite posted:

I finally have had enough of Sprint. I ordered a Verizon GS4 and had my number ported to Voice. Capped data is cool with me because the phone actually works now. I had no idea what I was missing. I'm eating the ETF and selling my S3.

Me too. I couldn't take it anymore. Got on a Nexus 4 and moved to AT&T on my Fiancée's plan. Actually having usable data again is actually shocking sometimes.

That said, I was a Sprint customer for 10 years and I really hope the Softbank and Clearwire mergers go well. Competition is good for consumers...we all need the new Tmo (merged with US Cellular, right?) and new Sprint to fight the duopoly of AT&T and Verizon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Nnep posted:

In the Cincinnati region I've seen tiny improvement, specifically the Mason/Fairfield area. Improvement as in 50% of the time picture messaging failure now almost certainly goes through. Small steps folks, small steps.

Seems silly that I'm happy that I can celebrate basic use, but I'll take it. Still yet to catch that illusive 4g beast, but I hear she's out there.

What's up, fellow Cincinnati (Fairfield) goon.

I finally couldn't take it anymore. I switched to AT&T, onto my fiancée's plan, and couldn't be happier.

When we were out to dinner and she downloaded Google Maps to her iPhone, searched for the same location I was, and switched to satellite view faster than Sprint could even load the map...I was done.

Sprint was great for the first 8 years I was with them...but the last two were awful...We need more competition in the market, so I still hope to see them pull out of their current situation!