Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There were a whole bunch of rumors that starting in November, legacy SERO, ERC, and SWAC customers would be migrated to the new SWAC plans.

Unfortunately, it seems that either they are really far behind, or it may not be happening any longer for SERO customers. It also seems like nobody in customer service really know what's going on as they keep giving conflicting answers.

While it would be nice to get switched to one of those plans, I'm not very optimistic about its likelihood.

In other news, Sprint released a rewards app, probably trying to be like T-Mobile Tuesdays etc. No fancy good deals yet, but someone on another forum mentioned it's going to be marketed on 1/15 so I guess that's the date to check on it again.

App links:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-sprint-rewards/id1441045832?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bh.sprint&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

drat, I had no idea that was a rumor and now I'm sad. Unlimited data keeps me on SERO, but there's been a few times I've needed a hotspot while traveling. That would be perfect.

Yeah, before I read about the SWAC plans I was a bit apprehensive of being forced off my plan, but after reading about the features and pricing it would've been a great change.

The latest I heard from their chat support was that some accounts were migrated back in November, others haven't been migrated, and since a lot of people have been asking about this they've escalated it to their management team to try to get an answer. Last month, they were still saying it would happen by the end of December, so who knows at this point.

They are all happy to point out that if I could get a current employee sponsor I could switch right away, which isn't entirely true anyway - current employees get 5 current customer migrations per calendar year, but can bring 100 'new' (port out 45 days, port back, or use an unassociated-with-sprint SSN) customers. Unfortunately, these days I don't know any current Sprint employees anyway, so it's all pretty moot for me if it doesn't happen automatically.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Free 1 topping large pizza at papa john's is now available in the sprint rewards app.

Edit: It's a coupon code that it looks like you can claim now and use by 1/29.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 15, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nmfree posted:

I was going to make a joke about how appropriate this is, but Sprint is the Domino's of cellular carriers, not the Papa John's.

I liked the time a few years back where they were giving out a free year of amazon prime, but they screwed up (completely ignored) timezones in the BIG JAVASCRIPT COUNTDOWN in their blog post to the first day of the giveaways, so non-cynical people in any timezone except for sprint hq missed it.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

There were a whole bunch of rumors that starting in November, legacy SERO, ERC, and SWAC customers would be migrated to the new SWAC plans.

An update on this: it sounds like another wave of people were targeted for migration from SERO Premium 500 to Advantage Unlimited Plus today, effective next month. They received texts indicating the change.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Are they changing the price, or is it going to be discounted for SERO users? I've held onto my $50 Sero for 15 years or so, would be a shame to jump now (although I will in a heartbeat if I have to pay any more).

Edit: Looking at the brochure, it appears it's the same price, but offers a ton of other extras like Hulu and Amazon Prime. It also has unlimited talk and 50GB MHS, so wow, it may actually be better then SERO.

The plan you would get migrated to if this happens is the $30 one with 50GB hotspot; you would then be able to change at any time between that one and the $50 plan with 100GB hotspot and prime.

They are basically the same as the regular Unlimited Plus/Premium plans, but with a significant employee referral discount and no extra discounts for having multiple lines.

edit: found the one accurate PDF:

edit2: Much like SERO, there are restrictions on how you can upgrade your phone (i.e. can't really get a new one activated through third parties like target, best buy, or costco). Online and corporate sprint stores are still the easiest, and of course you should be able to buy it outright wherever and still be able to get it activated by contacting Sprint. SWAC plans are eligible for the same phone promotions through Sprint as regular customer accounts.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 29, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's an older PDF (date in URL). There's a newer PDF which they didn't fully update the plan details (and it looks like they lost the original and had to do some awful editing):
https://www.sprint.com/content/dam/sprint/north-america/usa/en/advantage-club/swac-overview-guide-11-1-18%20mgh.pdf

The one they fully updated the plan details on is at:
https://sprint.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2689

edit: Basically when the Unlimited Plus went from 15GB to 50GB hotspot, so did Advantage Unlimited Plus. Premium likewise went from 50 to 100.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 29, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

While it sounds all better, is SERO limited to the video/audio/gaming speed limits this plan has? I know the Roaming limits are much worse on this plan as Sero had been reduced to 300MB, but this SWAC is 100MB which is terrible.

The throttling doesn't look too bad - the Plus version claims up to 1080p, which I assume to mean it's throttled but with a relatively high speed limit. Premium says "Full HD" which I understand to mean there are no speed limits. SERO has no stream throttling, just the general deprioritization after 50GB of any traffic.

You can roam on select T-Mobile towers these days - they present as an older type of Sprint tower, so your phone might not even display something fancy. I don't believe I ever (maybe once?) ended up roaming domestically, but that's of course going to depend on where your home, work, and travels are and what the coverage is like there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

The only time Roaming has been a thing was when I went to Visit family in Alaska as Sprint isn't anywhere up there. I believe I just roamed onto the few Verizon towers which also had to be done carefully as 300mb is nothing these days. I would happily take the old school unlimited 3G or 2G roaming over 100% shut off after 300mb of LTE Domestic Roaming.

Ouch, Alaska sounds pretty harsh for roaming. The good news is it would get a bit better if/when that T-Mobile merger goes through - it looks like GCI is considered an extended roaming partner for T-Mobile, and you'd have LTE speeds without a roaming cap in areas they cover.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

Has there been any more news on that lately? I'm out of the loop.

The clock stopped during the government shutdown, unfortunately. Last update I heard was Sprint and T-Mobile CEOs would be testifying before some congressional committees soon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

US-based customer service if the merger goes through?! The idea is almost as foreign to me as the current call centers!

https://newsroom.sprint.com/new-tmobile-customer-experience-centers.htm

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea that would be pretty cool. Finally figuring out that were tired of talking to a Fleshy FAQ.

However when I call SERO support most of the time it seems to be someone US based so that's always been a plus for the most part.

Used to be, but then sometime in the last couple of years that was also outsourced.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Is this only for SERO folks or are eprp going in as well? It weirds me out to think that there are people out there who have no idea about the concept of “anytime minutes“.

Legacy SERO, SWAC, and ERC accounts was all I'd heard.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SERO -> SWAC update!

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Employee-Programs-Knowledgebase/SOLUTION-I-m-on-SERO-can-I-be-converted-to-SWAC/ta-p/1033393

quote:

Question

I'm on an old SERO plan. I know that plan is expired but you now have the SWAC plan and I have heard that some SERO customers are getting converted to SWAC. Can I do that too?

Answer

If you are an existing customer on a SERO plan and interested in switching to a new plan, please dial *2 from your Sprint phone. An Employee Accounts team member will review options for the best fit plan, including our new Advantage plans for friends and family members. SMARTeam members who respond to customers on these forums don't have access to SERO accounts, but the Employee Accounts Group (*2 on your Sprint phone) will be happy to assist you.

edit: This PDF has the most correct details about the SWAC plans:
https://sprint.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2689

This PDF has details about other benefits of SWAC (waived upgrade/activation fee, 25% accessory discount, etc), but has some errors in the plan details table (the MHS/P2P/VPN limits in the fine print should be the same as the hotspot data):
https://www.sprint.com/content/dam/sprint/north-america/usa/en/advantage-club/swac-overview-guide-11-1-18%20mgh.pdf

astral fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 18, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Harminoff posted:

So what's the drawback on switching? Is it truly unlimited data?

1080p video content might get throttled under the $30/mo plan; music throttled to 1.5 Mbps, 'gaming streams'(whatever that means) throttled to 8mbps. Hotspot/VPN/P2P reduced to 3G speeds after 50GB/mo.

After 50GB of any data you get deprioritized, which should be the same under SERO.

Unlike SERO (or at least unlike how SERO used to be; not sure if it's been reduced), it looks like you don't get unlimited data roaming with SWAC, only 100MB. However, with the recent T-Mobile roaming agreement it should be less of an issue. Depends on area, of course.

But you do get free Tidal and a significantly cheaper price than SERO-P 500. If you bump up to the $50/mo SWAC plan, you get higher allowances and it sounds like no stream throttling, Amazon Prime is included, and you also get 2 $10 Uber discount codes (can't be used for UberEATS) each month for a year.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

You get Hulu with the premium plan too, don't you?

You get Hulu with SERO, the $30 SWAC, and the $50 SWAC.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

moolchaba posted:

Yeah. I haven't seen any deprioritization with my $50 Sero plan at my location, and I'm averaging well over a hundred gigabytes per month. I know I won't be able to keep this plan most probably, but I want to ride the gravy train all the way up until the last day.

You'll only see the effects of deprioritization if your tower is congested.

quote:

The swac $50 plan with free Amazon Prime would be insane, but I highly doubt they're going to give that to Sero users. They're going to offer swac $30 plan at best.

You get migrated to the $30 one but you can swap from $30 swac to $50 swac whenever.

edit:

Cage posted:

Starbucks offer finally showed up in my app!

In case anyone else was wondering, you don't get an extra if you already redeemed this last week. ;)

astral fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 19, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LorneReams posted:

I really want this, but I'm 100% afraid of losing SERO by accident. Is there a fool-proof way of getting this. Too many stories of people getting "accidentally" taken off of SERO and told it's absolutely impossible to get back on.

It's not impossible, especially if you contact Employee Care quickly if/when it happens. They will take care of you. If not, my experience with the executive office the other month (for a different issue; I'd actually contacted them asking what was going on with the SERO->SWAC migrations since I was getting conflicting answers from chat/phone/email support) was startlingly pleasant.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

Same. It was actually painless. I was told I could add another line at same cost too (up to 6). So my question now is can I port a Sprint number into my account? If so, that would be great.

Someone else's Sprint number? You could do a transfer of liability.

e:
https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/account-and-billing/customer-instructions-for-change-of-ownership.html

astral fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 22, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

flickmaker posted:

Tried the SERO conversion thing. Sat on hold for half hour while he “worked silently” on my migration. He came back. Gave me a website to fill out a conversion form. Address was wrong. Phone call got disconnected. Call back. Next guy says it’s better to do it in store. GUESS IM STAYING ON SERO AWHILE LONGER.

Sounds like you won the 'misinformed rep' lottery twice. It might help to ask them to check for newer information if they don't seem familiar with it since it's more of a recent thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I’m on the $30 SWAC plan since I have no use for Uber codes. If I wanted prime, I could pay for it separately and still come out ahead. Premium is a great deal if you would make use of both though.

That said, I would 100% switch to premium next time I visit Canada; unlimited LTE would be excellent.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Spotted a $2 Amazon GC in the Sprint Rewards app. Nice!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Sprint site might be having some kind of caching problem serving up other people's account info, probably best to avoid the Sprint site entirely until they fix it.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/03/18/sprint-account-leak/

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cage posted:

Just submitted a request to switch over using this form. Will update when things happen.

If you're trying to convert from SERO to SWAC I don't believe that's the right way to go about it.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Employee-Programs-Knowledgebase/SOLUTION-I-m-on-SERO-can-I-be-converted-to-SWAC/ta-p/1033393

quote:

Question

I'm on an old SERO plan. I know that plan is expired but you now have the SWAC plan and I have heard that some SERO customers are getting converted to SWAC. Can I do that too?

Answer

If you are an existing customer on a SERO plan and interested in switching to a new plan, please dial *2 from your Sprint phone. An Employee Accounts team member will review options for the best fit plan, including our new Advantage plans for friends and family members. SMARTeam members who respond to customers on these forums don't have access to SERO accounts, but the Employee Accounts Group (*2 on your Sprint phone) will be happy to assist you.

Nevermind, according to a reddit post that works now:

https://sprint.com/swacconversion

astral fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 21, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

thisdude23 posted:

Had SERO since 2006 also. Just switched last month. Bill dropped, I have hotspot access, and I can actually go anywhere and get a phone now if I wanted (from what I was told by several reps but we shall see).

It was a lot easier than I realized and it started on next billing cycle for me.

You can get an unlocked phone anywhere, but you can't go to e.g. Target/Costco/Best Buy/etc and get one of their discounted phones that requires activation or whatever; they can't access SWAC accounts. Only corporate Sprint stores can.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I see a limited quantity Free Krispy Kreme Donut & Coffee (as a $3 Krispy Kreme digital gift card) in the Sprint Rewards app, but it says "Sorry, all offers have been redeemed." when I try to redeem it.

Maybe I'm too early/late?

edit: I think it's too early, did a couple of searches and haven't found it mentioned on the internet yet.

edit 2: and it has vanished entirely :iiam:

astral fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 2, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SWAC dudes: It sounds like there is a new version of the plan where the Amazon Prime-including version is only $40 instead of $50 (but no Uber credits)! Definitely makes it a much better deal for people who don't use Uber. The new version changes the Premium stuff from a separate plan into an addon/service.

Details shamelessly stolen from a reddit post:

quote:

$ 0 Dollar addon

Unlimited data, talk and text nationwide
TV and movies you love with Hulu
Music streaming with TIDAL Premium
Streaming in Full HD and 50GB of LTE Mobile hotspot
Unlimited talk, text and 10GB of 4G LTE data in Mexico & Canada
Free text and basic data abroad – in 200+ worldwide destinations

10 dollar addon

Unlimited data, talk, and text nationwide
TV and movies you love with Hulu
Music streaming with TIDAL HiFi
Amazon Prime, Twitch Prime and Lookout Premium Plus
Streaming in HD and 100GB of LTE Mobile hotspot
Unlimited talk, text and 4G LTE data in Mexico & Canada
Free text and basic data abroad – in 200+ worldwide destinations

With autpay either 30 or 40 dollars a month based on which one you pick.

astral fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 7, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Okay, I left my SERO behind a couple of years ago and I'm regretting it. I'm thinking of switching either to T-Mobile for the free Netflix, or if I can get on one of these sweet deals that includes Prime - can I?

If you know a Sprint employee who could refer you: you could port out, wait 45 days, then port back in with their referral as a new customer. Employees get 100 of these referrals total from what I understand.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

moolchaba posted:

That doesn't make sense.

Cheapest: Streaming in Full HD and 50GB of LTE Mobile hotspot
$10 more: Streaming in HD and 100GB of LTE Mobile hotspot

I had to look up full hd... stupid generic terms. They originally gave the resolution numerically. Gah.

That can't be right, they wouldn't give you worse resolution streaming for more expensive plan. If so, bah.

I figure they probably just screwed up transferring the info to the new plans, and it's 'HD' (throttled to 1080p is Sprint's definition) for the lower one and 'Full HD' (unthrottled) for the higher one - but who knows?

It's interesting to see that the premium plan is upgraded to Tidal Hi-Fi, too. Wish they'd have upgraded Hulu to the no-commercial version instead, though!

astral fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 7, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

10 years of sprint and I'm finally gone as soon as my new sim shows up.

Whatever band they use (41?) was hot garbage indoors, speed tests at home 1.45 down 2.5 up...

Speed tests crossing the brooklyn bridge, 98.1/9.5...which would be great if I lived and worked exclusively outdoors.

I'll miss RCS (even though I've only had it active one whole time since they flipped it on)...I won't miss everyone asking me if I'm currently underwater in a cave (volte my rear end)

I've been getting great speeds indoor and out lately. At home it used to be 2-3 Mbps but it's been 7-18 Mbps for a bit now (though I have home internet so it doesn't much matter). The T-Mobile roaming probably helps in a lot of places, too.

Only places I've had terrible speeds recently were a hospital's ground floor and inside a specific Staples.

Glad you found something that worked better for you though!

edit: Did you have Wifi calling enabled on your account? If so, HD Voice features are disabled for - apparently - some sort of technical reason. I read that to get HD Voice back you have to fully remove Wifi calling from your account.

astral fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 8, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I noticed that the regular unlimited plans changed now too so Premium is only $10 higher than Plus. It shows Premium as only streaming in "HD" (up to 1080p) so it looks like Premium has the stream throttling now. Same would apply to the new SWAC plan versions.

Either way they need to hire a damned proofreader; this amount of errors in plan information coming out of such a large company is ridiculous.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well that was quick. Got a response that the changes have been made but will take effect on 5/4. I picked the Premium plan and it looks like it is automatically $40 now instead of $50 with what looks like all the perks as before except the Uber credits which don't appear anywhere in the details of the e-mail at all.

The HD vs Full HD stuff is written correctly. And since I don't really care about the Uber credits at all, getting $10 less a month savings with all the other perks like Amazon Prime (instead of paying annually) Hotspot, and hell I may give Tidal a shot to see how HiFi sounds. Already use the crap out of Hulu so that's not new but very nice to have.

Overall I guess we will see how this goes. Odd they seemed to change the Premium price down at all. The non SWAC pricing is what $80 for the same thing? Either they really want to entice Employees to bring people on, Incentive all the old SERO plans to finally cut over, or the T-Mobile merger is going worse than we hope.

:getin:

The price drop is probably to make up for the lack of Uber. I suspect they'll also add stream throttling to the Premium account if they haven't already.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

I went with the $50 plan because I figured I'd use $20 in Uber per month. Bit disappointing that it is two $10 credits that half to be used separately, but they also texted me a half off code so we'll see. Does the $40 plan include Amazon?

Yep.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cage posted:

Does anyone want my $3 krispy kreme card? They dont have them here anymore.

Oh hey that Sprint Reward is actually working now! I was getting bummed out that they had just teased us with it.

If you don't want it, I'd happily combine it with my reward and buy a discounted dozen as a gift for a not-Sprint-having family member who likes Krispy Kreme!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Free pzone at Pizza Hut seems to be this week’s reward.

Must be ordered by apr 28.

astral fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 22, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

How is Sprint? Is it worth the 30-40 a month savings over Verizon?

Most likely depends on your area.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Sprint is great if you don't travel and have a good signal at home/work. As soon as you start traveling you start to see the limitations real quick.

On the other hand, if you travel to Canada/Mexico, the roaming agreements are great and get you 5GB, 10GB or Unlimited LTE, depending on your plan. Note that there were reports of them throttling the speed down after ~10-14GB

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I got in on SERO when good old Russ McGuire (then-director of corporate strategy or something) shared his info for everyone to use.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rhombus posted:

Has anyone on SWAC been able to add a line? I dropped my SERO line like a month before they announced the move to SWAC, but my wife just got rolled over. So of course I know you could never add another line to SERO, but I seem to recall somewhere that it could be done for SWAC. I did some poking around while logged into my wife's account, but didn't find an option on Sprint.com.

BYOD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

rhombus posted:

Yeah. Porting in a number and bringing in an unlocked iPhone.

If I remember correctly, you should be able to just hit the BYOD link, then add the line from there.