Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

bigpolar posted:

They gave me the option of an EVO 3D today, which I took. They also offered me the nexus S, an EVO Shift, or a samsung conquer.

She read off the whole list, telling me about the phones, and how good the new conquer was, then "oh, and the evo 3d, I guess." I did ask if any of the other phones had dual core processors, and she told me they did not. It was a pretty easy choice.

So, it looks like today was a good day to return a defective epic.

You chose.... wisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I really don't notice the 3D being that much smoother, but I'm using GO launcher which is always really smooth.

I tell you what they most certainly did change though. The ring flying toward you animation when you unlock the phone is now a solid 60FPS. Before it was probably half that.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

fyallm posted:

The only update I got for the 3d was for program updates. Is that the update everyone is talking about?

No. If your phone didn't reboot to install you didn't get the update we are talking about.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Jeratain posted:

Thanks everyone. I'll try going back to full stock and see how that goes. Going to another Sense ROM from ASOP hasn't helped the issue, so if that doesn't work then ill head to Sprint. I'm considering paying an ETF because I get subpar service in my area and am wary of Sprint's network vision since the other days news.

I am psyched!
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/01/13/sprints-1900mhz-network-vision-is-nice-but-the-800mhz-rollout-will-drop-your-jaw/

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I have this problem, and its some weird glitch with Google Voice. Unsure if its on Sprint's side, Google's side or verizon's side. I don't think it's sprint side, as i had problems with it before i tied the number to Sprint.

Interesting. I've been having this issue lately where myself and two other friends with integrated GV on Sprint are getting text messages really late. Like a full 24-48 hours after the text was sent. We always seem to eventually get the text(s) though.

It happens from different carriers, and seems to be completely random as to when it strikes. 98% of the time the texts come in on time, but when they don't it REALLY sucks.

I just assumed that it was a Sprint problem and had nothing to do with GV, but now I'm starting to wonder.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Sprint is going to get a new quad core EVO I'm sure - just after or around the same time as the GN comes out.

I'm going for the GN this time, even with the worse hardware. And it's not even that I had a bad experience with sense on my Evo 3D, I just am to that point where I'll sacrifice hardware to always have the latest version of Android.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

lazydog posted:

It's much easier for you to be pick pocketed with your wallet in the back. Also I've heard its bad for your back because it makes you lopsided.

I am a lefty, and also carry my wallet and keys on the left, phone on the right.
Never had a screen protector on my launch day Evo 3D, and it has no scratches on the screen.

Had EVO 3D since launch day. Throw it around with wild abandon. Absolutely flawless screen.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

spidoman posted:

What are you on about?

On the topic of Sprint phones and service, my wife picked up a galaxy S2. How in the world is that phone so much lighter than the 3D?

I hold a couple of non-popular or seemingly against the grain opinions on smartphones. One of them is that I see absolutely zero benefit to having a heavier device, but many smartphone review sites and comments on forums seem to equate heavier with higher quality. As if the weight of the phone in your pocket is like the satisfying clunk of a german car door closing or something.

I hate how heavy and brick like the EVO 3D is. I want the lightest and thinnest device possible and I don't give a poo poo if they use plastic instead of metal to do it.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
That does seem pretty against the grain. I couldn't care less how heavy it is unless it has the density of a dying star. Why does it matter how heavy it is?

Do you do anything active with your phone? Do you ever wear it on an armband?

I use My Tracks a ton for tracking my mountain bike rides and running, etc. I'm not complaining that the extra ounces are impacting performance to any great extent (not that they help) but the weight can throw off the balance of your stride and the difference can basically be summed up by saying that, with a heavier device, you always know it's there, whereas a lighter device can disappear.

The other big situation that I notice is when I'm wearing loose fitting shorts. I have a thin frame and having a big clunky device in my pocket can cause this annoying pendulum effect. Also, I feel like it is loving with my extremely cool gait.

I'd ask you the same question as to why you (or anyone else) would prefer a heavier device, but I suspect I'd get the same kind of "it just feels gooood mannn" type of answers I just gave for why I want them lighter.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
NOPE. Getting the Nexus. Screw you HTC, don't you try to sparkle me with your shiny.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

but there are a lot of us who are just tired of HTC Sense and just want stock Android.

Yep. Just want a stock experience device. I'm tired of all the little changes that mostly just annoy me, half of which don't really work the way I want them to anyway.

The GV integration combined with the chrome extension for GV is so useful that I am stuck on sprint.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
So, I want the GNex next week.

-Does sprint still NOT charge the activation fee if you order the phone online as opposed to going in store?

-For the new contract buy out thing, should I do that now? Or, should I wait until the day I buy the phone? I call the retentions # to do this, right?

-Is it worth selling my E3D to Sprint?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
GNex is $550 out of contract. If you bought an EVO 3D on launch day your contract buy out price is $165, so $365 total for the phone.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
http://androidandme.com/2012/04/carriers/the-big-4-shootout-who-has-the-fastest-network-speeds/

SOO SLOWW

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
Got my GNex today. It is indeed much smoother/faster than EVO 3D.

On the phone with Sprint now... they can't activate it. The google voice integration apparently causes a problem with activating a new phone? Lame. Talking to tech support now.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I am loving the GNex, but the battery life doesn't seem that great. I'm a developer and am quite familiar with wake locks and such - and this isn't a problem with an app.

I'm sort of wondering if the CDMA radios are just inefficient compared to the GSM version - judging from what I'm hearing of battery life from that camp. My EVO 3D seemed to have better battery life.

Anecdata battery life aside - I will say that this phone seems to work much better than the EVO 3D when it comes to calls and text messages. Does anyone with that phone have an issue where sometimes your phone never rings when someone calls it - or it takes like 5-6 rings before your phone will start ringing? Also, text messages would sometimes come in really lately... or sometimes just a few minutes late (which is annoying when you are meeting someone?)

My friends and I with the E3D all thought this was a Sprint problem. But I've done quite a bit of testing with the GNex and it doesn't seem to have any of these problems. It rings quickly, it gets texts very quickly, etc. It's still too early to say anything - but I'd be interested in feedback from anyone else.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Hoppy posted:

I would just like to state how jealous I am of all you Galaxy Nexus owners.

I'm stuck with this EVO 3D for another year, and I really hate the lack of development community support around it, plus it's recent EOLing makes me thing ICS is really far off, if ever.

I wish I could buy out my contract, but every time I ask sprint about that, they say no such thing exists, and I can go buy the phone for $550. Based on the numbers I heard about the buyout program, I could buyout for $125, then get the phone at the upgrade price of $200.

Also... I missed getting qualified for Premier Gold by one month, before it ended. :bang:

Which is weird because that is exactly what I did to get my Galaxy Nexus.. bought out my contract, waited 6 hours or so for it to take effect, then pre ordered on Sprint's website.

P.S. The GNex is loving awesome. If you are the type of person that cares about the 'details' when it comes to your tech this is a good buy. It fixes all the little "why the gently caress did they change that? (sense)" or "why didn't they just make this an option..." type of annoyances you've come to expect from your Android Smartphone (TM).

The vast majority of the way this OS works now that I'm on stock ICS, coming from an EVO 3D and then EVO 4G before that, is exactly how I would have done it. It's smart, it's fast, it's stable - at least on 4.0.4 that we are on. The granular view of your data usage, for example, is extremely easy to use and very informative. On the EVO, Android was great - but it had all these little WTFs scattered over it. Like why do I have to have a persistent GPS crosshair icon in my status bar? I always leave it on, so it's completely uninformative and a waste of space.

Most of that sort of poo poo is fixed.

All that being said, I'm a developer and a naturally picky person so there are a few things I can complain about :

1. I miss T9 dialing that the HTC phones have.

2. I miss being able to set times when exchange email would and would not sync in the sense email app.

3. There is a tiny delay when you hit the Power button on the GNex until when the screen lights up. They should get rid of this.

4. One thing that stands out as still poorly implemented in Android is the way vibrate and ring settings are done. There is a "master switch" in the general sound settings menu that overrides the vibrate settings in the phone app. This is counter intuitive and confusing - even to me as a power user.

5. The phone is too big. It just is. I keep missing the notification bar pull down swipe because my thumb is barely grazing it when I try and do it one handed.

6. Battery life is worse than the EVO 3D. I don't think this is the OS though, I've been doing a fair amount of testing in this area. I think it's the SoC and/or radios in the phone.

Off to burger king to try my google wallet.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Giblet posted:

I'm kind of confused over the number of people jumping on the galaxy nexus bandwagon with the S3 announcement so close. I'm not saying it will hands down be a better phone, but it is probably worth seeing before making a decision.

Let me frame this for you via a story:

I got my GNex and, while going through all the apps setting up my accounts etc, I opened up the "email" app and clicked the signature setting to clear it out.

Instead of "SENT FROM MY GALAXY NEXUS 4G LTE ON THE NOW NETWORK!" guess what the default email signature was? loving blank, that's what it was.

This is the Galaxy Nexus Experience (TM).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

The iPhone keyboard blows away any keyboard I ever used (second has to be the iPhone keyboard mod for MIUI). It took me a month to get use to the screen size. I think it is all a matter of what you are use to. When I look at at my old EVO it seems way too big now. Like you I would like to see a slightly bigger screen on the new iPhone (between 3.5 and 4 inches).

Have you used the Stock ICS keyboard fairly extensively? I find it to be much better than the keyboard on Gingerbread phones.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

peepsalot posted:

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for about a week now, and while I don't typically use a lot of minutes, of the few calls that I've had pretty much every single one someone has complained that I'm cutting out, that the volume is fading in and out, hearing other voices and all kinds of crazy poo poo that I never had a single problem with on my EVO 4G. Is anyone else having issues with voice calls? It's strange because the 3G internet seems reliable enough, possibly better reception than my EVO.

I've made quite a few amount of calls with the phone since I've had it and the call quality has been perfect - better sounding than the EVO 3D for sure.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Bioshuffle posted:

I'm looking for a phone to replace my dad's Hero because it's stopped working. He's eligible for an upgrade and wants to spend ~$200. He does a lot of traveling into places with weak signals so call quality is the biggest priority. I was looking at the Nexus, and the battery life issue has been brought up a lot. If all he'll be doing is using it to make occasional phone calls and check email every now and then, is it going to be a non-issue? I was looking at the web-site and looks like there is a new HTC EVO coming out, should he wait for that one?

The new EVO is going to get very good battery life. Anandtech just reviewed the AT&T version and that S4 qualcomm chip is really really good at sipping battery.

I have the GNex and the battery life is interesting with this phone. I feel like the 3G radio is not very efficient - but on WiFi it will give you tons of standby (like less than 1% drain per hour) and about 2 to 3 hours of screen on time.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Yes, my gnexus gets at least 4 hours screen time on wifi. I tested by streaming movies over wifi to my nexus and it lasted 4hr15m. On 3g away from wifi I get maybe two hours screen time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bykf3eca9ovr923/Screenshot_2012-04-29-18-08-46.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rolhdwz30ujmjf/Screenshot_2012-04-29-18-08-55.png

I just did a 19 hour stint fully on 3G with 42 minutes of screen time. Honestly that's just not very good.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I swear though most customers I get speed is never an issue or question. The unlimited data sells it very well.

That is because they are mostly ignorant probably - and goes to show how cheap most people are.

You are saving 10-15% on the service and getting maybe 50% of the network performance.

I wouldn't be on Sprint except for the fact that I get a 25% discount - which is a substantial chunk of change.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I honestly think it will as long as they see it through. Reported 3g speeds on NV towers are pushing 2mbps.

If I can get consistent 1mbps on 3G I'll be happy. That's all I want Sprint, you hear me?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Straight talk pretty much doesn't have customer support.

So far, my only two complaints on my galaxy nexus is battery life and I don't think it gets the best signal (hopefully it can be fixed like the nexus s was). Not a big deal for me, but I will say I will likely recommend the Evo LTE for non-nerds if the battery life is better.

Battery life was my main concern too. After owning the device for over a week now though the battery life has come out as "average" and not "terrible". I just got 22 hours with 2.5 hours of screen on, including a fair amount of bluetooth streaming.

The only thing that concerns me is the variability with the 3G radio. It seems like sometimes the thing will just CHEW through your battery on 3G while the phone is off. But, as a test, I left it on 3G last night when I slept and it only burned 14% over 7 hours which wasn't too bad.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
I sold my EVO 3D on Craigslist and bought a GNex a few weeks ago. It's a much better, more integrated, less animationy, experience. Probably gonna stick with stock Android from here on out.

Time to go through my GMail contacts and remove all these "<HTCDATA>" tags. Thanks for that HTC.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

pill for your ills posted:

After getting a Gnex yesterday and getting it arranged pretty well, the one thing I also miss about Sense is the contact manager. That was pretty seamless. This is probably going to be a pain in the rear end. Other than that, Sense can eat a bowl of dicks.

What, specifically, about the contact manager do you miss?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I'm going to have to see this multitasking issue thing on the Evo 4G LTE in person before I get upset over it. My main concern is the sealed battery crapping out as the 2 year mark approaches, and how that might effect resale. Also, it's convenient to pop in a fresh battery when traveling and there isn't always time or a place to charge.

Batteries get worse over time. They just do. My battery on my old EVO 3D didn't hold a charge like it did when I first got it. I like to replace the battery every 6 months or so.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Yes. The whole screen is rarely used. Either there is a button at the bottom like a tablet, or there is a button at the top like an iPhone. I would love to also have a dedicated search button, and am confused why I need a separate button for the recently used programs. And I often use the phone one-handed, and reaching across for the back button sucks. The back button also gets rid of the on screen keyboard, which is something I spent 2 years training myself not to do, though it makes more sense this way.

edit- And it doesn't fit in my "universal" bicycle mount. I guess I can still use my old Evo to record GPS routes, that shouldn't need a cellular connection for that.

Still, user interface aside its lightning fast, brilliant camera and screen.

Seems I am late to the party - this guy mentions everything I've just discovered.

The menu setup in ICS is better now. Before you never knew if hitting the menu button would even do anything - now you get three vertical dots in the softkey bar at the bottom of the GNex. HTC's problem is they didn't go softkeys - so now they put the menu button ABOVE the hardware buttons on screen and it's ridiculous.

I'm ambivalent about the missing search key. I don't really care if there is a hardware key for search, I more miss the long press voice search functionality of it than anything.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Gokiman posted:

The messages go to my EVO but they don't show up on google voice as well like they use to.

Just go to the GV website and break the sprint integration and then re enable it.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

My nexus has one or two bugs, lag isn't one of them.

Issues with the phone:
-when the alarm goes off and you try to turn it off, phone crashes
-RDio can be crash a lot
-battery is not as good as the GSM version.

If you want a galaxy 3, then buy it. Just dont expect software updates.

Owned Sprint GNex since launch:
1. Never had that happen, are you using stock alarm?

2. Never used that app, Spotify works great on ICS btw.

3. Possibly? Never used GSM Nexus.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Stock alarm, both myself and my fiancé have the problem off and on.

Spotify's android app in general blows, the interface for RDio is better. Personal preference, but I'm not switching from RDio.

I use the stock alarm religiously on a MWF schedule and it's never once crashed since device launch. In fact, I can't recall the phone itself ever really having a crash. I've had some third party apps crash a few times, but that's about it. I don't think the phone has ever spontaneously rebooted on me that I can remember.

This is what kind of disgruntles me about stuff like this. I've had three Android phones now that I've all bought on launch where I read about all these seemingly bizarre issues with them that I never seem to experience. It makes me wonder if I'm winning hardware roulette or if it's because I'm generally knowledgeable about electronics and take care of them in such a way that I avoid the problems altogether.

But it's not like Duckman is a phone noob so I'm sure he's not lying about the alarm crashing. It's just... odd.

What don't you like about Spotify's Android app? Have you tried the all new re design that came out a few weeks ago?

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Hoppy posted:

So I tried the contract buyout today...

Called customer service, asked for account services. The person kept asking what my issue was, so I told them I wanted to buy out, and explained what I had heard/read. She told me that customer service is account services, but she wasn't able to do it. I was told to go to a corporate store to inquire about the Upgrade NOW promotion, which sounded like what I wanted. I asked if this would allow me to pay a fee to make myself upgrade eligible, and she said yes. I also asked if it would require me to buy at that store (I'm eyeing up a deal Amazon has right now), and she said no. I was also told it would not involved a trade in or surrender of my device.

I went to one store to ask about it, and was told they did know about Upgrade NOW, but it was the following:
- You have to trade in your phone. I know I can get more than the $75 they offered for it by going through ebay, Craigslist, or Swappa.
- You have to buy a phone from them.
- Only the Evo4gLTE, Galaxy S3, or iPhone 4s are eligible to be bought with this plan. I want a Galaxy Nexus.

So I left there. I called another corp store (a bit farther, so I didn't just go there). The guy there had no clue what Upgrade NOW was, and he kept telling me that when I said buying out my contract, I must be thinking of paying full retail as the "buyout fee".

I'm probably going to call customer service again, and insist upon account services, even if customer service tells me they can "service my account".

Anyone have any ideas how to best handle this?

I did this exact thing right when the GNex launched, but had none of the run around you got.

I called them and said "I want to buy out my contract to reset my upgrade eligibility." I used the number that was in the OP. They charged me for the buyout, reset my upgrade, and then the next day I bought the GNex on Sprint's website. Then I sold my EVO 3D on craigslist.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

chizad posted:

I've got Google Voice w/ Sprint integration (using my Sprint number) set up on my account/phone. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a new phone; is there anything special I need to do to make sure everything gets set up properly on the new device? I just want to make sure I don't end up unable to receive calls/texts because I did something wrong.

Yes, you need to disable the integration and then re enable it on your new phone.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
This change is huge. These discounts are the only reason a lot of people I personally know are with Sprint.

Now, the only thing keeping me is the GV integration. But I can get that by porting my number to GV.

Might finally be getting a GSM Nexus now.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I know it is bullshit on my part some (that I use it but I am no longer qualify), but I look at as my discount for putting up with the awful speeds I get here.

I will lose a ~25% discount I've had illegitimately for something like 8 or 9 years. Sprint's data speeds are pretty awful, but I was saving a fair bit of money so it was worth it. If I'm only saving a few bucks a month after I lose the discount - I might as well just get REAL data speeds on another carrier.

Luckily I just upgraded my phone so I probably have another year or so until this will affect me. We'll see where NV stands by then.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

TLG James posted:

So can I switch from a normal account to EPRP?

I'm looking at going from a 23 to 15% discount then. drat.

I've actually ignored all this talk about EPRP because it was always worse than my corporate discount. Now I'm interested in what it is/how it works.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Cool Matty posted:

Anyone else here had real problems with Google Voice and Sprint integration? My problem has existed pretty much since the integration launched, but has grown worse over time.

Occassionally I will miss calls on my phone, because it simply never rings it. GMail will ring just fine, but failing to ring my phone kinda defeats the purpose. I've looked at every setting I can think of (time settings, do not disturb, disabling and enabling the phone itself), and it's happened on two different phones.

Anyone else run into this problem, and figured out a solution? I posted on their Google Group for support but that didn't even garner a reply. I've disabled the integration for now because I'm missing about 50% of my calls now. I'd hate to leave it like this, since I love the system.

In my testing this had nothing to do with GV integration. On or off it did the same thing. THEN I got a GNex and the problem went away. The whole time I was assuming it was just Sprint, but it actually had something to do with the EVO 3D.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006
For others losing the Sprint discount: I've done some searching around and it appears in a year or so I'm going to switch to straight talk. You just buy a Nexus phone from the play store outright, put a GSM sim in it from straight talk, and pay $45 a month for unlimited calling/texts and 2GB's of data a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

I got a question about my account:

I've already decided that when my contract is up, I'm switching to a pre-paid plan with an unlocked Nexus. I've never gone over half a gig of data the entire two years I've had an Android phone, so there's no point in paying an extra $30 a month for the "unlimited data" that I have no need for, and is in fact slower than what I would get on a StraightTalk plan.

When I check my account online, it says my contract end date 9/3/12. My bill is all paid up, so in theory, that means I'm paid up to that date already, so I could cancel now and not get hit with an ETF? Of course, I'd be "losing" a month's worth of service I've already paid Sprint for, but I was just curious if that's how it worked, or if I had to pay for one more month (ie, the bill I'd get in September) to not get an ETF...

For that matter, even if I had one more month, is the ETF less than what that bill would be (~$75 after my discount?)

I'm the one that brought up the Straight Talk plan option in this thread right after duckman announced we'd be losing our discounts.

Well I've done more research on it since then and am now more certain than ever this is the route I'm taking. If I hadn't just renewed my contract with Sprint I'd actually do it right now, discount or no. A real GSM Nexus and an international phone are really nice perks.

If anyone is curious how it works, read this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1455014