Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

is it particularly normal for apple to take ages approving a small update? just wondering whether to bother poking them with an email. submitted the app monday last week early morning PDT and still no dice :argh:

It's been all over the place for me. Earlier this month I submitted an app for a customer of mine and it took 8 days only to get a rejection. I fixed and resubmitted, and it took another 8.

Meanwhile during that same two week period I had also submitted an update for an app of mine, it took 2 days to go through. My server logs showed they never even opened the app once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I am really wondering what the hell goes on in a review that it can be "In Review" for half a day and they don't even open the app once.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ender.uNF posted:

As far as I am aware, they will not do this for developer accounts.

Also be aware that they no longer accept simple state registration documents. You need an actual DUNS registration number and Dun & Bradstreet only pull from state records every so often, so if you want to speed the process up you have to pay D&B for them to add you to the database before Apple will even consider setting up a corporate account for you. If you contact Apple dev support, they can send you a special link that lets you bypass some of the waiting and get registered with D&B for free or really cheap (I can't remember).

Why Apple can't just let us use our DBA names like any sane company/person I have no idea… It's good enough for the bank to print on my checks but apparently Apple has different standards.

My LLC has been incorporated with the state for 15 years and is still not in D&B's database, according to their "do you already have a DUNS number" lookup. I am glad I got my developer account before this changeover.

Is this the same sort of stringency involved in some of the higher classes of organization-validated SSL certs (the sort where you pay a few hundred bucks more for the cert and your full legal company name shows up in the address bar)?

I guess Apple wants to avoid the flood of impostor companies you see on Google Play, but this is just overboard for any indie developer with a cool idea.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any way to stream WWDC videos on an iOS device without having to use the WWDC app? It has not let me sign in for weeks and it is a real pain in the rear end syncing the videos over from iTunes.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

My favorite iOS 7 WTF is if you present a UIDocumentInteractionController from a view controller that was presented modally (but only as UIModalPresentationPageSheet or UIModalPresentationFormSheet, the other non-sheet styles work just dandy).

It comes up fine, but when the document interaction controller is dismissed, it also tears off the view from the modal view controller that presented it. You just get left with the shadow view that was behind the modal, so the app is unusable beyond that point. The best thing I could come up with to work around was to temporarily dismiss the modal view controller but hang onto a reference, present the UIDocumentInteractionController from the modal's parent, and then re-present the modal upon dismissal.

They did nothing with the radar I filed three months ago, but at least it looks like it's been fixed in 7.1, thankfully.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I don't think I have ever had a not-janky audio experience when working in the simulator. That's just been one of those cases where I had to work on a real device.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hughlander posted:

I'm not talking about quality I'm talking about competition. When they reject a class of App outright because they plan on doing it or have already done so. Are you arguing that Podcaster was low in quality? Also it's ok for Apple to control their platform, but MSFT didn't have the right to control theirs?

To be fair that Podcaster rejection was from September 2008, a time when the App Store had only been a thing for just two months. I think we could all agree that was a time when they were still feeling this thing out and were capriciously rejecting poo poo. The App Store Review Guideline document (to which they will now refer, by bullet point, if you get a rejection) was still two years away.

There's now plenty of podcast, browser, and email clients up on the store. I don't think any of these would've made it past the review portion back in 2008.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 2, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Anyone messed with iBeacon? I'm tempted to try bolting on some location awareness to an app of ours at our company hackday coming up, but I'm wondering if this is pretty straightforward or if there's peculiarities about it that'll make you tear your hair out. Based on WWDC talk #307 I'm assuming it's the former.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 5, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Volmarias posted:

As far as iOS goes, I'll start out with saying that my understanding is that nib files are, shall we say, OPAQUE in their underlying structure, meaning that two developers modifying the same layout may have significant trouble merging those changes.
Do any complicated projects use interface builder at all?

I have found it easier just to read the code to see what's going on, and writing the layout code out was easier to keep things matching the comps from our designer since he had redlines with pixel margins written in.

Also it was infuriating that just the very act of opening a xib file -- not changing the design -- was enough to change the file.

And yeah merging xcode project files within a team was annoying enough at times so the less auto generated magical files to deal with, the better.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Seconded. NSDates are GMT. Format them according to timezone, but don't store them according to timezone.

And be careful when parsing dates from external services, make sure to set a sensible locale on your date formatter when parsing.

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/qa/qa1480/_index.html

This caused us a weird heisenbug with one particular user in a foreign country. They had their device set to the en_GB locale, which automatically sets 24 hour time display, so they also went into the time display settings and turned on 12-hour time display. One of our team members is based in the UK and has no problems, but she didn't have the AM/PM override set, and apparently that's the critical factor.

Enabling 12-hour time display in a locale that defaults to 24-hour display has the effect of making the NSDateFormatter automatically rewrite format strings to include AM/PM and so it would fail to parse the times we were passing it, despite them being totally kosher dates in UTC. You have to set a locale on your NSDateFormatter that would be a locale where your date makes sense, or else it will inherit all the characteristics of the default locale.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Considering TestFlight 86'd their iOS SDK too, it looks like this is a case of them starting to wind down the service altogether, not just jettisoning Android. They're obviously just cutting Android off first because Apple.

That's a shame, because I really loved the SDK's crash reporting feature that linked stackdumps with the actual tester/device and automatically symbolicated them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

On the other hand, it may signal Apple will finally implement a beta program in the coming months. I expect this to be announced at WWDC if so. Other services will probably pop up to fill TestFlight's role for whatever Apple shuts down.

We're switching to HockeyApp for Android and maybe iOS too, we're grandfathered into TestFlight as it were so maybe we can stick it out until Apple gets their own thing out there.

If Apple were to chew up TestFlight and spit out some other product, I wish they'd basically just take TestFlight but let you enroll named beta users using Apple IDs instead of device UUIDs, distribute betas to named users via the App Store, and keep everything else the same.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Axiem posted:

I'm presuming the Enterprise account works just like a small company, except with more weird things around provisioning profiles.

With enterprise distribution there's no UDID registration process. The provisioning profile bundled with the app specifies that it can run on any device. You are contractually obligated not to distribute the .ipa to anyone outside your organization. If Apple catches you they will ban your developer account.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Alternately it's infuriating for it to sit in review for a week and then flip to ready for sale, yet your backend logs show they didn't even open the app once.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Newf posted:

Is it possible to do iOS development on a windows or linux machine?

e: how lovely is it?

In theory you can run OS X in Virtualbox using some stuff that is shadier than the average Hackintosh setup so I'd call it :filez: and not discuss it in detail here.

In practice it will run so lovely that you'll try it and immediately go to the Apple Store and buy a cheap Mac mini out of anger and frustration.

I have no idea, for instance, if you'd be able to debug on a device through whatever USB bridging done by a VM.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doh004 posted:

We find out about WWDC today :ohdear:

The mails are going out now, according to people on Twitter. Now watching my inbox like a hawk.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And denied. I was really hoping to go to WWDC at least once. I've been to I/O three times (did not get in last year) and while the talks were good, it seems there's more "community" around WWDC attendees given 30 years worth of Mac culture.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Kallikrates posted:

I got a spot but I still kinda hope to find out if I get a google i/o ticket.

Better just take the WWDC ticket. This morning Google announced they moved I/O's sweepstakes registration to next week, ending Friday.

Now if you wait for an answer from Google on I/O, you'll miss out on your chance to close the deal on your WWDC ticket.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

I know not very much about iOS programming, but here's the deal: I've got an in-house application (so it's not on the app store, I distribute it in dev mode by having the people who use it bring their iPhones to me) that uses push services. We run a Windows application on the web server that reads a data queue and sends out the alerts as appropriate. When we added a bunch of new devices to the provisioning profile, the alerts stopped working. After tearing my hair out for months because I know basically nothing about iOS and was learning what I knew on the fly, I eventually fixed it by revoking the old certificate, generating a new one using the updated provisioning profile, downloading that new certificate, getting a .p12 file from it, and giving that .p12 to the Windows application.

Now we've added a few new devices and, wouldn't you know it, alerts have stopped working again. My question is simple: Do I seriously have to do this every time we add a new device? It's an immense pain in the rear end.

You can screw with that or you can just pay $200 more and distribute the "right" way by signing them as enterprise apps rather than adding them to your developer account as test devices.

https://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/enterprise/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

ultramiraculous posted:

The Enterprise Program 100% worth it if you're dicking around with your device list with any regularity. The enterprise cert lets you sign something and it "just works" on any device that can get the IPA.

Yeah. My team has two Apple developer program accounts, one for the App Store and one enterprise.

We build nightly internal dogfood versions of our app, sign them with the enterprise cert, and publish those to TestFlight for internal use. Anyone who wants in on the dogfood builds can get it that way and it is a ton easier.

There's also a way to craft an HTML link that triggers Safari to offer to download and install an IPA over the air. If you didn't want to use a distribution service like TestFlight you could put that on your intranet or a Dropbox link or something.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 19, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Really, though, this

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Build poo poo and ask us questions.

is the best advice. Make something that scratches your personal itch, don't care whether it's marketable, just make something for yourself. It'll probably suck, but you'll have learned something. Then do that again keeping in mind what you learned. Repeat.

I moved into mobile development as a fulltime career last summer. I previously had 10 years' professional experience under my belt as a bioinformatics programmer and a brief time working for an ERP company as a consultant. I started goofing off with the iOS SDK when I had some bench time on the consulting job. I made a couple things for myself to learn, I did a couple freelance projects, and shipped an app or two on the store myself. I started going to a local mobile dev meetup and gave a talk or two there.

I never really intended to make it into a full time thing, but last June I had a poo poo day at work and emailed the leader of the mobile dev meetup if he'd refer me into his company. Two weeks later I was hired to do iOS full time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Axiem posted:

Not all of them; I'm in St. Louis, working for a company doing a fair amount of iOS work.

I am also in St Louis, we've got a small mobile outpost here for a Silicon Valley based firm. We've actually been trying to hire more iOS and Android people here too. There's plenty of work to go around.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 7, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

https://github.com/WebKit/webkit/blob/master/Source/WebKit2/UIProcess/API/Cocoa/WKWebView.h

A UIWebView replacement in 10.10 and iOS 8?

code:
#if TARGET_OS_IPHONE
WK_CLASS_AVAILABLE(10_10, 8_0)
@interface WKWebView : UIView
#else
WK_CLASS_AVAILABLE(10_10, 8_0)
@interface WKWebView : NSView
#endif

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Open the new xcode release notes and search for radar #17022386.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: n/m

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

E: f,b

You can try running OS X in a VM. While it may not be performant enough for "I am getting paid to do this and slowness or instability costs me money" but it'd be be good for goofing around.

Depending on the hardware in your PC a hackintosh may also be an option. The tools to take an OS X installer image and boot it on a PC are to the point now where it's basically a point and click thing. Getting it to dual boot is a little more work and might be on the order of a Sunday afternoon project.

Of course neither is technically legal; the EULA says you're only allowed to run OS X bare metal on a Mac, or within a VM that's hosted on a Mac running OS X.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I can't get over the smile angle, really. It's gone from something chill, to the giant smile that my kid has when I give him a new toy.

They trotted out that logo with 7.5.1 back in 1995 so I guess it's had a good run, and it's time to get used to the new one for another 20 years.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Perfect indeed, 9:41 AM. That's awesome.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had trouble with legacy TestFlight on my 6 all weekend, but my other iOS devices had no issues even though they were on iOS 8.

And then this morning TF is working just fine. :iiam:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Are we supposed to switch over to the Apple one now? I feel like everything has been super hush hush since the acquisition and it has me a bit worried.

The Apple version of TestFlight seems a lot more restrictive. For internal testing, you're limited to 25 users, and they have to be identified in iTunes Connect under your team.

For external testing (i.e. betas outside your organization), you can distribute to up to 1000 users, but the app still has to go through the standard review process first. Also, that part isn't available yet.

Either way, it kind of sucks for my team's internal workflow. Our CI box builds an enterprise signed version of the app, and loads that onto ("legacy") TestFlight. Since it's enterprise signed, there's no restrictions; if you can get your hands on the .ipa then you can run the app. Our QA people use that, and it's also basically the standard dogfood build that a few dozen people in the company use.

HockeyApp might be a decent alternative that keeps that workflow going. We've already been using it for our Android team since February, when Apple bought TestFlight and abruptly ended Android support.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

pokeyman posted:

Wait what? I thought there was some kind of review process, but it was much less involved than the "standard review process".

Maybe so. They said you're subject to the same guidelines as App Store stuff so I assumed they were applying the same stringency.

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/Testflight/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, for internal dogfood and QA we sign stuff with an enterprise cert so no UDID bookkeeping is necessary.

Edit: and I believe now you need a DUNS number to register any App Store distribution account now anyway, even if you're a single person LLC, so that part is moot these days too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Doh004 posted:

Can you have an enterprise licensed account as well as have it able to submit apps to the App Store? Or would they have to be two separate accounts? Does Apple care if a company has two separate accounts, one enterprise and one normal?

We've got two, one for App Store and one for Enterprise. Apple doesn't seem to mind.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So far my experiences with new Testflight have been pretty crappy.

In addition to the inability to script any of it to push builds out of a CI pipeline, it really sucks that whatever Apple ID is signed into the App Store on the device is also the Apple ID that is signed into the Testflight app on the device.

Heaven forbid you're in a BYOD scenario at work, with a personal Apple ID for the App Store and then a second work Apple ID that has access to all your company's stuff (and presumably your dogfood builds on Testflight). You have to either go wasting time with signing in and out on the App Store on the device all the time, or you have to go adding people's personal Apple IDs to your company's iTunes Connect. The former is quite a pain, and the latter is totally a non-starter.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So in Springboard, if you trigger Reachability mode on a 6/6+, the background remains the same while just the icon content slides down. In other apps though there's a black screen.

Is there any public API to do something similar to the Springboard behavior, and specify a wallpaper for the upper portion of the screen when your content is slid down?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Huh, what do you know, I just have a darker wallpaper so it looked black on my screen. I switched my wallpaper to a lime green and it was more clear that it's not just a black box.

Still though, I assume that this effect in Springboard is not something you can accomplish through any public APIs? It's not as jarring as having the whole app screen and status bar just totally move halfway out of view.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/somasegar/a...dows-phone.aspx

Here's hoping an acquired HockeyApp will keep delivering on iOS, because unless you're grandfathered into the old TestFlight, HockeyApp was the next best thing for CI-driven beta builds.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am finishing up an app for a customer doing some enterprise-y type work and we are starting to talk actual deployment. If the application requires a login to work as well as specific password (that was the customer's request) can I distribute through the app store so that our users nation wide can just buy iPod touches without too much hassle?

I thought about looking for a cheap MDM solution, but think that is too much hassle for devices meant for one thing.

Are all the users employees of your customer company? If so, you can also just get an enterprise certificate for $299 instead of $99. You can sign the builds with the enterprise certificate, and they can be loaded onto the phone without the App Store and without UDID registration.

Then just set up a web portal whereby you can download the app. Here's a quick guide on how to craft a web page that lets you download the .ipa onto a device and install over the air.

http://aaronparecki.com/articles/2011/01/21/1/how-to-distribute-your-ios-apps-over-the-air

You can also just use Apple Configurator to put together a canned config profile for the iPod touches too that includes the app, but I haven't done that before to really comment on the procedure.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

New TestFlight doesn't solve a lot of people's use cases (i.e. enterprise cert based internal distribution, posting builds from a CI pipeline, or like my company does, a combination of both) but that's not stopping Apple from shutting down old TestFlight anyway -- they just gave notice that it's going away 2/26.

I guess HockeyApp is going to get a nice bump in customers soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I wouldn't be so bugged about it if they had made even a little effort to fix some of the feature gaps between the old product and the new one before EOL'ing the old one. But then again, after Final Cut, iMovie, and iWork, I shouldn't let it be a surprise to me when Apple does this, and I shouldn't expect them to try and fix it later, either.