Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tales to Astonish #13 (1960)
Pencils: Jack Kirby
Inks: Dick Ayers
Colors: Stan Goldberg

Tales to Astonish #13 (1960)
Pencils/Inks: Steve Ditko

Tales to Astonish #14 (1960)

House of Secrets #54 (1962)
Pencils/Inks: Ruben Moreira
Colors: ?

Haunted #7 (1972)

Ghostly Tales #103 (1973)

Fantastic Four #144 (1974)
Pencils: Rich Buckler
Inks: Joe Sinnott
Colors: George Roussos

Ghost Manor #67 (1983)

Ghost Manor #67 (1983)
Pencils/Inks: Enrique Nieto

Ghost Manor #69 (1983)
Pencils/Inks: Pete Morisi

Ghost Manor #71 (1983)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Ghost Rider 2099 #24 (1996)
Letters: Richard Starkings & Comicraft

SKA BLAM sounds like a battle of the bands where there are far too many trumpets and suspenders.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Darthemed posted:

New Year's lettering batch, ahoy.

Keen Detective Funnies #3 (1939)
Letters: ?

House of Mystery #80 (1958)

Haunted #7 (1972)
Letters: Pete Morisi

Haunted #7 (1972)
Letters: Pat Boyette

Haunted #7 (1972)

Ghost Manor #67 (1983)

A selection of perfect gang-tags

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" got mentioned in another thread, so it checked it out, and it has some of the worst art I have ever seen in my life. I can't even tell what's going on half the time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
neat detail of both lettering style matching and the moment being referenced seen reflected (and thus so is the SFX)

Transformers #2
Writer/Line Art: Daniel Warren Johnson
Colors: Mike Spicer
Letters: Rus Wooton (though the SFX lettering was done by Johnson)

Duke #1
Writer: Joshua Williamson
Line Art: Tom Reilly
Colors: Jordie Bellaire
Letters: Rus Wooton (though I think this specific SFX lettering might be Reilly)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh wow that's a great detail

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

SimonChris posted:

Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" got mentioned in another thread, so it checked it out, and it has some of the worst art I have ever seen in my life. I can't even tell what's going on half the time.

Even in the chaos of the brushstrokes and intentional noise, that's a better grasp of anatomical layout and weighting than a ton of professional comic book artists ever reach.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SimonChris posted:

Whatever you do don't check out DK2. It's somehow even worse.

Miller is the anti Liefeld too in both these books. It's like he figured out how to draw the soles of those boots (whatever they're called) and he puts them into EVERY...loving panel. I don't know if Miller just got lazy, drunk, contemptible with the medium itself or all three because the original DK1, SIn City, Ronin and his work on Daredevil are objectively great, even if you don't care for his style, as some don't. But, like you said, you can't even tell what's happening on these pages, which is the first rule of comic book art and is not the case at all in his best work.

Quite the opposite in fact.

Frank's storytelling, framing, use of light, shadow and contrast and the suggestion of motion and action were pretty top tier and borderline revolutionary when he was on top of his game. I honestly don't know what the gently caress happened with him. You can't even really chalk it up to being "experimental" either because plenty of artists experiment pretty heavily but their poo poo's not straight up UGLY most of the time. I'm an artist myself and like to try out new poo poo but I'll keep working with it until it's polished or presentable at least, even if I'm not always successful.

In DK3, Adam Kubert kind of aped Miller's style from DK1 and was much MUCH more successful with it, for no other reason than you could tell he took some CARE with the actual work. This poo poo isn't even good from a thumbnail layout standpoint.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
DK2 does have some great work, even if parts of it are better in the conceptualization than the execution. His intentions are there in the first few pages, with how scratchy and coarse the old hero The Atom is compared to the comparatively sparse lining of Catgirl. Notably, when he appears, Plastic Man shares the clean lining, suiting his immortality, while other heroes who are introduced with the consumptive cragginess get cleaner and more polished as the battle inspires and rejuvenates them, all as Bats gets more and more battered.

The final results do get overwhelmed by 'computer possiblities!' at times, though the decade and a year between it and Batman: Digital Justice are thankfully evident, but I feel like there's certainly more artistic strengths and considerations on show in DK2 than there are weaknesses and indifference.

I might be pushing back on this more because I remember hearing a few people discussing the art in DK2 and saying it looked like Miller had gone through a stroke. I didn't have the opportunity to respond to that at the time, so it's been sitting in the back of my mind for years, especially because I've never been able to shake how impressed college-aged me was at seeing this page pulled off in a climactic story moment, and then flipping back to the cover of the TPB. Not quite an Ozymandias moment, but enough to clinch that Miller went into it with a plan and beats in mind.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well...Ok. I don't see anything worth looking at or reading in any of those panels/pages.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

we startin 2024 with a Frank Miller Guy? lmao

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

BiggerBoat posted:

Frank's storytelling, framing, use of light, shadow and contrast and the suggestion of motion and action were pretty top tier and borderline revolutionary when he was on top of his game. I honestly don't know what the gently caress happened with him.

Alcoholism, is my guess. Has he improved materially since he got on the wagon?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Alcoholism, is my guess. Has he improved materially since he got on the wagon?

Not anything that I've seen, no.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Didn't know it was possible for an artist's brainchildren to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome but I guess it makes sense

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can't spell fascist without FAS

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Not anything that I've seen, no.

The Thing, Moon Knight, and Cap are fine if in a generic Miller pose.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

thats barely panel-quality, not special-guest-artist-cover quality

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr Hootington posted:

They look like someone tried to transfer Miller's style to Saturday morning cartoons and it's not working at all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
DK II started well but there is a midway point where the artwork just became so freaking block like that it was hard to even figure out what was going on in the panels. Just weird shapes instead of people.
I read somewhere (probably on these forums) that while he was writing DK II 9/11 happened and it pretty much break his brain which is why the first half of DK II seems more traditional for Miller, both story wise and artwise, and the second half done after 9/11 is a lot angrier, both story wise and art wise.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

neat detail of both lettering style matching and the moment being referenced seen reflected (and thus so is the SFX)

Transformers #2
Writer/Line Art: Daniel Warren Johnson
Colors: Mike Spicer
Letters: Rus Wooton (though the SFX lettering was done by Johnson)

Duke #1
Writer: Joshua Williamson
Line Art: Tom Reilly
Colors: Jordie Bellaire
Letters: Rus Wooton (though I think this specific SFX lettering might be Reilly)

That's good.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
fyi if you like Terry Moore's technique, these weekly videos he posts are about 5-10% promo for his books and otherwise generally some insightful show and tell:

https://twitter.com/TerryMooreArt/status/1743786833127919865

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/wolverinepooled/status/1745077928746975480?s=46

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
a copy of the frank cho spider-woman cover that is so impressively bad that it ceases to be horny and is just poo poo

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I was just talking about the Milo Manara Spider-Woman cover and maybe I’m too manga brained but I don’t see why it was so controversial. It’s horny but I wouldn’t call it tasteless

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

That poor person's spine :(

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I assume its a parody. Just look at it. It is so over the top (even for Campbell) that I figure he knows what he is doing and is just taking the piss here

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The tweet was taken down, probably because it isn't by J. Scott Campbell, it's by Anton Tarelov:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Her kneecaps are perfectly square.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
whered she get oxford converse

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't have my ruler handy but I think her index finger is as long as her face.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Her right hand is really loving with me

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Well, if it isn't my old friend Mrs. McGwen,
With a hand for a leg and a leg for her han'

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
oh god my body hurts all over looking at that

edit what is the nose situation there

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Aaaaaah!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Does this count as posting Liefeld?

Rob, my dude, he's not even the worst Spidey artist named John Romita

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
The Skybound Dracula series just wrapped up, and the art (by Martin Simmonds) stayed strong throughout.

Cool World VCD
Feb 5, 2024
I never tire of Herbie.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

This is pretty unrealistic. I saw a documentary that clearly presented the fact that vampires can't eat pizza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d47zpGcp2nA

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Keen Detective Funnies #7 (1939)

Keen Detective Funnies #7 (1939)
Pencils/Inks: Harry Francis Campbell

Tales to Astonish #15 (1961)
Pencils/Inks: Don Heck
Letters: Ray Holloway(?)

Tales to Astonish #15 (1961)
Letters: Artie Simek

Tales to Astonish #16 (1961)
Letters: Ray Holloway(?)

Tales to Astonish #16 (1961)

Tales to Astonish #17 (1961)

Tales to Astonish #17 (1961)

Ghost Manor #77 (1984)
Pencils/Inks: Pat Boyette (signed)

Hellstorm: Prince of Lies #4 (1993)
Pencils: Michael Bair
Inks: Peter Gross
Colors: Ariane Lenshoek
Not too hot on the actual character, but I love the work on the background.

Blade: The Vampire-Hunter #4 (1994)
Pencils: Douglas Wheatley
Inks: Steve Moncuse
Colors: Tom Ziuko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Holy god damned poo poo.

https://x.com/VanguardComic/status/1755695862666178729?s=20

Greg Land would look at this and be like "what a goddamned hack."