Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anyone want some severe whiplash?

https://twitter.com/CoolComicArt/status/1404692103389581318?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you can get past Warren Ellis' personal issues (and I completely understand if people can't) Transmetropolitan holds up better than you'd think, but Planetary is probably his best work and the one I'd recommend to someone interested in reading him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ah, that's good. I just assumed it didn't hold up because nothing ever seems to anymore. I remember it wasn't nearly as nihilistic as Thompson's work, which is a plus.

It's a pastiche of Thompson and most of Thompson's poo poo holds up. I will say the 2016 election sorta made Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 seem a bit passé. I used to read it every 4 years starting in '96 and it seemed relevant every time. That was the first year it didn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I wasn't questioning them being contemporaries or even having overlapping sensibilities on a surface level, it was "three of the most famous modern comic creators" that I was specifically questioning. And Millar didn't really come any later, all three of them were born between February 1968 and January 1971, and broke into comics in 1989-1990.

Ennis's first Big Two project (Hellblazer) came in 1991, and Ellis and Millar's were in 1994. They're very much contemporaries. I guess you could argue Millar's first "hit" came about five years later, if you wanted to?

You can even throw out vast swaths of creators: let's pretend Moore/Gaiman/Morrison/Miller/Lee/Liefeld/McFarlane are somehow pre-"modern", let's pretend comic strips and cartoonists don't count, definitely restrict it to the US English Language market, discount anyone who made their name outside of comic books.

If you restrict it down to that, I'm still not even sure how Ellis would crack the Top 10, or arguably the top 20.

What i now know about him as a person makes me not want to read more Ellis books, but it's insane to not acknowledge that he was both very popular and hugely influential, he re-invented multiple super heroes for Marvel, actively scouted and encouraged a poo poo ton of other comic creators. His level of influence on comics is part of why revelations about his personal behavior were so terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think there's a very good chance that Monica Rambeu wouldn't be in tv shows and movies if it weren't for Ellis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

Why do you think that?

Because he brought her back into prominence in the comics and Al Ewing ran with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Legs for weeks

If the woman in green ever bought pants she'd need a what? 22w60l?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

This is someone's avatar and until today I never realized it was from a real comic

I thought it was from that one thread where goons took turns Liefelding up an image. Wish I could find that thread. Considering making a similar one where we take turns redesigning a CHUD inspired American flag.

It's so weird how Jim Lee, Erick Larson and Rob Liefeld all have very similar art styles, but Lee and Larson are so, so much better artists.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Spider-Man with a robot arm cover is a loving classic and intended to poke fun at prevalent art styles that Larsen was also participating in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

McFarlane Spider-Man is good, I'm not a huge fan of the Marvel Lee stuff, but he was good at making women with those insane proportions actually look powerful instead of just awkwardly posed

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

All of them owe their style to Art Adams, regardless. Pretty incredible how much he influenced people but you don't hear his name brought up in those conversations too often.

I recognized the name but it didn't immediately click. His wikipedia is hilarious

quote:

Nocenti described to Adams the concept for a miniseries she was writing, Longshot,[8] which had been turned down by every other artist she offered it to. Adams, now a couple of months before his twentieth birthday, did a series of preliminary design drawings, basing the main character's appearance and hairstyle on that of singer Limahl, and the female lead, Ricochet Rita, on Nocenti herself. The series was freelance-edited by Louise Simonson, and without a firm schedule, which provided Adams the time he needed to complete it.[9] This was due in part to his problems with perspective and other things he was not accustomed to drawing, such as windmills, babies and people smiling, and in part because he had to redraw the first half of it, as Ann Nocenti's story was so dense that the pages featured up to 20 panels.[1][2][3][7]

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

From the English translation of Dujon; "Dragon Cemetary"

Translator worked extra hard on these panels.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure if MAD Magazine has been brought up in the thread but I was a reading an article about their history.

I've always thought the work they did on their film parodies was amazing, especially given how little photo reference was probably available back then. There was no internet or even VCR's to use for purposes of capturing likenesses. I imagine they had several stills to work from but I can't think they had a ton of them or that the studios would want to cooperate with the artists. Maybe they did?

My knee jerk reaction though would be that the film makers might not want to make jokes out of serious films but on the other hand maybe they saw it as publicity. I remember reading their versions of Saturday Night Fever, Dog Day Afternoon and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as a kid before I ever even saw the movies and being really impressed with the drawings. I mean, I knew who the actors were but was too young to see R rated films.

I wonder how they were to able to draw them so well with such limited reference material though.

They definitely had photo references for the main actors. There would be publicity stills and magazine articles and those old posters that had headshots of the entire main cast at the bottom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Can't be Liefeld, you can see her feet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/leinilyu/status/1563426257823379456?s=20&t=SlORIDewy9pLkV-XSptlfw

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Libra posted:

Liefeld characters in motion would be fascinatingly grotesque. Just a bunch of meat shifting around in human skin suits.

I want to see this character running.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

yeah if it was rob drawing it, it would look like his modern work, which is actually significantly worse than his early work

I remember when I was doing my Claremont Uncanny read through and hitting what I think was Liefeld's first issue for Marvel (aliens invade Australia, most people don't notice) and thinking "hey, this is a little rough, but a lot of fun."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/SienkiewiczArt/status/1566636480860127233?t=tvK299J7c2TCyLMh4yj49A&s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

The iconic poster for CATS came out in 1981. I wonder if that influenced this at all.

Came out November '82 apparently, so I think that's likely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

According to this: https://www.marvel.com/comics/issue/70416/moon_knight_1980_29

that issue was 1983 so lmao yeah probably

Cover Date is when retailers are supposed to take something off the shelves and return the cover for costs, not when it was released.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

How silly to think the word "published" meant "published."

I was going off this
https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Moon_Knight_Vol_1_29
which said the cover date was March 83 and the cover says March, I'm guessing whatever intern typed that up doesn't know what a cover date is.

Edit: Yeah, clicking through for a few issues the "Date published" is just the first of whatever month is printed on the cover.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 5, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

I think the water is going up, so maybe it's not wrong.

If the water is going up that's definitely not how water wheels work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Considering that the Punisher is a relatively grounded character he has been through some weird poo poo.

He was also Frankenstein's Monster and an Angel at various points in time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

His name is The Punisher, not The Stop Crimer. He punishes people who committed crimes, he doesn't stop them from happening.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Frank joins the force and immediately starts killing cops is how I see that going.

Yeah, I think him joining the cops and seeing what they actually do is what would make him break his rule against killing cops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Nothing worthwhile.

He killed Ultimate Jean DeWolfe (she was working for Kingpin). Like that was basically the only difference, Ultimate Punisher would kill dirty cops.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

The ultimate version of a cop is the Punisher?

I mean, way fewer unarmed civilians shot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Is Nightcrawler bringing some Hostess fruit pies?

I did not, no. When I started pondering it and thinking of some decent story ideas to cull from it, I mentioned that for all I know it'd probably been done. I didn't read the Ultimate line and my memory of the character was him being a war veteran but never a cop.

WAs that story line any good?

Ultimate Punisher is only in like a dozen or so issues of various other Ultimate titles, they don't really talk much about him being a former cop. 616 Punisher was never a cop AFAIK

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

The traffic jams at Burning Man get worse every year!

When I lived in Oakland, we all loved burning man because it meant all the insufferable assholes were gone for a week.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How long did those live drawings at comic-cons take in real time?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

I still can't believe they basically didn't even try to promote that movie. They thought a Batman TAS movie wasn't worth the effort. I assume the tv show had incredible ratings, I don't know what they were thinking.

It was originally gonna be direct to video and was pretty late when they decided to release it theatrically, so I don't think they had time for a full on marketing push.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I know this one is pretty much the standard for terrible covers

But i think this one is close

Clone saga was when I first got into comics (and then probably why I got out of them for a decade), whatever happened to those ladies?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

Bagley noooo

When you draw like five books a month and don't trace like Greg Landis, something's gotta give.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

The artist drew elektra plumbers crack

How do you make a worse costume than Elektra's original costume?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

Yeah, I like the basic concept, a pushback against the insanely-jacked Superman. (Why wouldn't he have the body closer to a 50s strongman, just with a little less fatty tissue thanks to better dietary understanding, or maybe Christopher Reeves? It's not like he's got a lot of opportunities to work his neck muscles unless he's got some really weird gym equipment in the Fortress of Solitude; I see him working mostly larger muscle groups through exercising his powers in the line of duty.)

I mean, logically he should either be skinny as poo poo, or kinda chubby depending on how Kryptonian metabolisms work in regards to burning calories while resting. You build muscle by pushing muscles to their physical limit and they rebuild themselves larger, something he never did for the first 2 decades of his life and still barely ever does now. But trying to apply logic to the physiology of Superman is a fools errand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How long does it take Stokoe to draw this poo poo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

. I think he's trying to keep the association clear because there are 2 black cats in that issue?

It's not a great set if you focus on it, but I can see it helping to keep things clear if you're reading through.
I was mostly confused by Black Cat not being blonde. So that context helps a lot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

He can navigate by smell, he can smell in 3d

I mean, he's got two nostrils.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/thealexrossart/status/1627171771785805824?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007