Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ironically hiding his work with splattered ink is the most choerent thing Miller could do at this point

That’s not spattered ink, it’s just blood the colorist hasn’t gotten to yet.

“THIS...IS...SUBSTANDARD!”
>Editor kicks Miller’s latest work down bottomless pit<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

unruly posted:

It's literally the size of her head. Without the "vaccine's cause autism" haircut, I'd say it's probably larger.

Unrealistic art! We can’t even see her rear end at the same time as her boobs! I know Re3d’s the stretchy one, but this is possible for all female supers. I’ve seen it’s possible from a whole bunch of floppy covers from the late ‘90s!

Seriously, have these artists even studied the human form, especially how female bits work in motion? There’s a reason sports bras are so popular.

The “vaccines = autism” haircut is much better than my take, the “I’d like to speak to your manager” ‘do.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

prefect posted:

Hulk used to be a cool dude.

“Hulk have detailed stack-rank of Disney Princesses according to ratings on poise, attractiveness, grace, and courage. Do any puny humans have problem with Hulk’s appreciation of the classics?”

“Doctor Strange, Hulk want to know how you stopped all those brooms you animated by accident. Hulk know incident thinly-veiled biographical retelling of your sorcerous apprenticeship.”

“Hulk want to know why Hulk have to save woman from Black Queen. Why always a Black Queen? Why not a White Queen like Emma Frost? See, Hulk told puny humans Hulk is very woke.”

Just have to get him before he sees any Pixar movies; not sure what the mature, conflicting emotions views would do to him. Though his take on Inside Out would be interesting.

e:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Honestly, The Hulk was always my least favorite hero. Dumb strength from raging out is the worst power and it's certainly an unhealthy thing to strife for.
I like the toxic masculinity thesis, though it has some holes in it; Red Hulk seems a better banner (no pun intended) for that metaphor.

When the big backstory point was Bruce’s abuse at the hands of his father, the Hulk becomes a strong metaphor about how difficult it is to break the ingrained cycle of violence as preferred form of expressing dislike/disappointment/pain/etc., in spite of the victim/victimizer’s strongest and best efforts — and in spite of his realization that he acts this way. But I’m not sure how much of that thinking actually made it into the comic books.

Apropos of nothing, Hulk could fill a (much larger and threatening) Ghost Rider-like niche in the world. He’s rarely seen. But if you do something so very catastrophically evil or heinous, you awaken his rage (building as he sees more of your atrocities) as he directs his hate-filled rage toward you. Sort of an extension of World War Hulk, but, you know, good. (I exclude the Herc books from my description of World War Hulk as bad.)

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 1, 2018

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jonny Nox posted:

I ran this down with my kids the other day:

What colors do artists use on the hulk? Purple and green
Who else is purple and green? All villains from Doom to Green Goblin
Are any heros purple and green? No they are blue and red.
Why is the Hulk purple and green then? TIH was not a Superhero comic because Marvel didn't write those. It was a horror comic. He wasn't a hero until they needed him to sell the Avengers.
I like the cut of your parenting jib. Have them reason things out for themselves (with appropriate guidance). My daughter hated the Socratic Method growing up (applied from everything from homework to consequences for bad behavior) but now credits it as the cornerstone of her analytic brain.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Green is a pretty popular colour for heroes too.
But it’s the specific combination of purple and green that works. There’s something just sinister about the combo. Maybe because it’s potentially one of the darkest combination of colors among the six primary and secondary colors? Maybe because it’s not seen much in nature (outside violets)? I think there’s something there.

Haven’t though as much about other secondary color combos (orange/green; orange/purple) and no characters spring to mind for those in a 10 second rundown.

Racking my brain, I can’t think of any heroes from either side of the fence with this color scheme. But there’s at least a few big DC names that match up: Lex Luthor in power suit, Brainiac (most of the time), the Riddler, and the Joker’s usual outfit.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ecavalli posted:

Wow.

Well, that's one way to ensure your child grows up to despise you.
Of course, you don’t do it for everything, only when there is time available and you believe the deep understanding it grants is worth it.

As to discipline, I believe that this helped my daughter develop greater empathy by really understanding how breaking certain rules inconvenienced or hurt other people. As to learning, it obviously instills deeper understanding.

And now as she heads off to college, she and I talk pretty frankly with each other. She has her issues with me (what child doesn’t with a parent), but she’s told me that while it was painful at the time, using the Socratic Method helped her understand things, not just learn them, and that she’s glad I did that.

Of course, if I really loved her, I would have skipped all that crap and just taken her out to see old adventure movies every night and then walked down poorly-lit alleys where trigger-happy gunmen waited to mug people. But I didn’t love her that much.

e: Now watch Hulk smash thesis that knowledge is justified true belief, puny philosopher!

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 2, 2018

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scaramouche posted:

I meant in large flats; the line work obviously duplicates fine but larger expanses of black tended to blob out in my experience. Mind you that's from newsprint photography where if something was too black we'd run it through a larger dot pitch line camera to spread things out a bit, but old comics were probably still better quality paper than newspaper.
I think it was usually blue used for black. When I was young I wondered why Bruce Wayne had blue hair.

Thought of another villain-turned-hero with the purple & green color scheme — Hawkeye

Archyduke posted:

the X-Men character Blink is more or less purple and green...Beast Boy's look in many if not most of his more iconic versions matches his green fur with a purple and white or purple and black jumpsuit. The Wesley Dodds Sandman had a number of color variations... Brainiac from the Legion of Superheroes...Drax...Green Lantern, Jade, had a purple and green motif for awhile, and Alan Scott's (admittedly very ugly) costume has purple and green elements. On the subject of Green Lanterns we might also include Katma Tui ...The Prowler...and so on
Excluding derived heroes (She-Hulk, Brainiac 5) and minor heroes only well-known because of recent media (Drax), pretty much everyone you mention is close to the “oh yeah, (s)he exists” level of fame. Definitely not talking about the A-list like Kang, Doom, Green Goblin, power-suit Luthor, or Brainiac.

I think your points about Kirby & Ditko creating a lot of the better-known villains, and color-coding to contrast with heroes, are much stronger arguments.

I do agree the article is pretty much blather.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

catlord posted:

I love the art in the Batman/Judge Dredd comics (well, not counting Vendetta in Gotham. Not that it's bad, just so different from the others). I think it hits some of the same notes as Ross, but with more of an emphasis on stylisation. And I always did like this panel of Judge Anderson poking around in Batman's head.

I can definitely see why people would call it ugly though.

Bill Sienkiewicz called and wants his style back

Yeah, I like it a lot

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

10 Beers posted:

The only part that bothers me about this is Frank yelling "Hiiiyah!"

And not the fact that Frank was based on a middle-aged Peter Cushing? I know your family was gunned down, buddy, but why the long face?

I was going to say Christopher Lee at first, but in all fairness Castle never went around Europe assassinating Nazis so that’s a point in Scaramanga’s favor.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Endless Mike posted:

This is the sequel, actually. Here's the first:

I didn't know that the world needed Sean Connery to play Aquaman before playing Freedom Force, but now it makes zero sense for him not to have a Scottish accent.

Also the Martian Manhunter needs to be voiced by a Kurtwood Smith impersonator (or I guess the real thing) in all things

That game had such a great voice cast.

Alche-miss, sugar!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ben Grimm -- now there's a pottymouth

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

He could become a cop

He's not interested in gunning down dogs or innocent BIPOCs, hth

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

"Why did I wear my cotton candy helmet in the rain? Darth, Darth, you're such a silly goose!"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I picked up the Coyote and the Snake based on the cover and it was worth it for what's inside!

Pencils and inks by Xavier Matz, colors by Jerome Maffre.

I love deserts!

I swear that the clouds moved when I looked at this. Amazing art on the page.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

catlord posted:

Yeah. It either needs more detail on the costume or less detail on the face, as-is I can't help but think it looks a little unfinished. Conceptually though I think it's not bad, just needs a bit of extra polish.

Yeah, I like the basic concept, a pushback against the insanely-jacked Superman. (Why wouldn't he have the body closer to a 50s strongman, just with a little less fatty tissue thanks to better dietary understanding, or maybe Christopher Reeves? It's not like he's got a lot of opportunities to work his neck muscles unless he's got some really weird gym equipment in the Fortress of Solitude; I see him working mostly larger muscle groups through exercising his powers in the line of duty.)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Discendo Vox posted:

a radical reinterpretation of the concept of pleating.

It looks like it's made out of scaled paint swatches. It's eerie.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'll take one of these panels over a hundred of those traced ones. At least in the Miller panel you have this "expressionism" that conveys Wonder Woman's essential traits: strength, toughness, and femininity. Does he succeed on all counts? Well, at least he's trying to do something with his art as opposed to reverse-rotoscope a TV show.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Suleman posted:

I hate the lettering here. The art is okay, no complaints about that per se, but the letterer just keeps overemphasizing random words in a way that is completely at odds with the realistic art style.
Source: Vectors #1
Artist: Rubén Gil
Lettering: Lettersquids (that's how they're credited)
If it were done far more infrequently for truly dramatic reveals or the like, it wouldn't be bad, might even be good, but 5 times on two pages of exposition is way over the limit, and I'm being generous and not counting the names slightly breaking the bonds of their speech bubbles. (And the names would be fine on their own without being in speech bubbles, BTW.)

"Alive" comes closest to deserving to be highlighted, but not enough tension has built up to warrant its use (unless there's several pages before this that earn it, which there don't appear to be from the narrative).

My belief is that good letterers are invisible, great ones facilitate telling the story (Workman comes to mind), and bad ones stop you short on the page. Great and bad ones are alike in a way, in that they can make you pause, and perhaps they were both trying to make you think, "That was clever!", but only one does it.

It's a shame comic book companies have for the most part forced letterers to work as subs to avoid paying benefits and fair wages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Minister of Sound posted:

I work full-time as a letterer. In my experience, when poo poo like this happens, it's usually at the writer's behest and the editor will have their back. I suspect that's what happened here. If a letterer tried this on their own, they'd probably be replaced.

My apologies; I maligned your profession unfairly. I assumed it was in the script as "What caused those SEIZURES?" and the letterers went ham on it as opposed to just bolding 'seizures' in the word balloon.

If you can answer -- is my assumption about comic companies subcontracting lettering (and, increasingly, coloring) for financial reasons true, or is it around having a flexible labor pool to guarantee fast/on-time issue completion?