Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pacra posted:

I have no idea who this is, obviously 90s:

I have never seen this cover before, but it's definitely Sam Keith, and it's definitely loving amazing. redbackground kinda beat me to it, but drat, that's one of the coolest drawings of Nightcrawler I've ever seen. Reminds me almost of Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

geeksauce posted:

No mention of Eduardo Risso? Steve Dillon? Gabriel Ba? Fabio Moon?

So post some examples or quit whinin' why don't you?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hater's gonna hate.

(Punisher vs. Bullseye #4)

God something about Punisher and Bullseye's matching broken noses is just endlessly funny to me. Plus, Steve Dillon draws "Angry Frank" better than just about anyone.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

Gotta give props to Art Adams.

Oh man, I had never seen this before, that's awesome. Ro-Man, a Mu-tant, Audrey II, and "It" that tried to conquer the world? I'm not sure about the guy on the right, he might be an invader from mars.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

God, I love Chris Bachalo. His early, clean stuff on books like Sandman is great too, but that cartoony, messy pseudo-manga style he adopted is great. I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but i like it. The first part of Mike Carey's X-Men run with him and Humberto Ramos trading off on artwork is one of my favorite X-Men stories ever, partially because I think it might be the most unique looking run, even moreso than Morrison's. Bachalo's covers were outstanding:

This might be one of my favorite covers ever; I particularly like the way it sort of re-stages a really big moment from the comic, but with some key differences in its presentation.

Bachalo draws Cable better than anyone else ever has. Also, I like the little "191" on Sabretooth's knife. If I'm not mistaken, it's both the issue number and the amount of mutants left post-House of M. In both cases, Bachalo manages to work the logo into the art in a cool way as well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Everything is liked by someone. Doesn't mean that it isn't objectively bad.

You are objectively bad.

Now prove me wrong.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Resurrecting this thread because the sketch variant for the new issue of New Avengers really made me realize that, drat, JRjr's pencils look way better without Dean White's Colors. Observe:

Pretty dramatic difference, no?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

invalid user posted:

This one's actually Mike Choi. You can tell because it's way better than Clayton Crain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

She was actually pretty cool, too, until Fear Itself.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mazed posted:

Liefeld. Again.

Bahahaha, I will never stop loving Rob Liefeld. Her legs have to be, what, like six feet long?

Edit: oh man, it's even more hilarious compressed in the quote like that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lots of artists decline with age. See: Frank Miller, Mark Silvestri, etc.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Hippo posted:

I have the original image on a t-shirt and can verify that that Thor image is based on Kirby.

I believe it was first a pinup page in Journey Into Mystery.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TwoPair posted:

God, it looks like the cover of a trashy romance novel.

Speaking as a librarian, that's actually considerably worse than most trashy romance covers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Romance novel covers at least have the sense to highlight the two people and their relationship, not just treat them as random elements. What story am I being told by this cover? Doting Superman and...recently screwed Wonder Woman? What?

Not to mention they tend to get the anatomy right and have more interesting backdrops.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I've mentioned before that I'm quite keen on Alan Davis, so here's some pictures he's done:

This is really awesome.

Is this a good Capt. Britain book to get? I'd like to get the Davis/Moore/Claremont/Delano omnibus of course, but it's hard to get for a reasonable price now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Madkal posted:

This is such thing of beauty it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

God bless America.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Has Bernie Wrightson been mentioned in this thread yet? I'd forgotten how much I loved his work until I stumbled on some of it recently.

Just gonna post this link because it's all great, especially the black and white stuff.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ber...iw=1067&bih=555

Wrightson's illustrated Frankenstein is one of the great triumphs of the medium in the 20th century.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I wasn't exaggerating before, I really think it's one of the finest pieces of graphic storytelling ever. It takes the best of the '70s wave of Creepy/Eerie magazine style and combines it with a sensibility similar to Max Ernst's "A Week of Kindness." I can't imagine one image summing up "the Gothic novel" like this one.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

So, has Wrightson ever done a version of Pit & The Pendulum? Because I was just watching the Full Moon/Stuart Gordon 1991 film and he's listed in the special thanks of the end credits...

Hm... the Creepy and Eerie magazine guys definitely did their fair share of Poe adaptations, but I don't specifically recall a Wrightson Pit & The Pendulum. Maybe Gordon brought him on as a consultant or something, or he was just overall inspired by his gothic art style.

Either way, if you want some horror comics with fantastic art, these two collections are loving great.

edit: well what do ya know, I googled around and found this unbelievably dope unpublished Edgar Allan Poe portfolio by Bernie Wrightson, including some illustrations for The Pit & The Pendulum.

gently caress, that rules.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 25, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

It's not a comic but Bernie Wrightson is or was a comic book artist and I finally got his illustrated Frankenstein for my birthday. Good lord is his art great.

I mean if you're willing to squeeze it under the broad definition of sequential art, I'd say it's one of my favorite comics of all time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can only name maybe 3 or 4 current working comic book artists who are better than Scioli.

The layouts in the FCBD issue are amazing. Calling it "crap for crap's sake" is just silly.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shifter posted:

In my books Scioli is okay, yet the least interesting Kirby-inspired artist at large. Who would you rank above him?

Aja, Shalvey, and Corben are the first three that come to mind. I don't have an actual ranking written out but Scioli's a guy I'll go out of my way to read whatever he puts out.

edit: Paul Pope too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't hate it, but it just seems like an attempt to copy Kirby to me without trying anything new with it. Which is fine but...we already have Kirby and this dude is decidedly inferior to Kirby.

The way I've seen it described is that Scioli approaches Kirby not as an artist but as a genre. Personally, I think he does a lot of really neat stuff within that genre. And with Transformers Vs. GI Joe he's bringing some unique influences into it - it's like if Kirby drew a cereal box pack-in comic in 1985. He's a guy you can really see growing as an artist with each new thing he does.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah it's not even a contest, Land is poison.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

:lol: Holy poo poo the magically appearing "s" has to be the most shameful pandering I have ever seen. That's hysterical.

Why is that shameful pandering?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lee Weeks is great and also a super nice dude.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah I meant both. Is this a confusing concept for you dudes, really? Batman punching a dude in the stomach is not quite in the same category as

No film can possibly depict this kind of page composition, I'm not even going to bother to ask you to name one.

this page is a favorite of mine:

We3 is such a great comic. probably in the top 3 Morrison books for me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i like the Deathlok one and the All-New X-Men one. also, there's a Deathlok comic being published?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think he's just gotten better, period. i wasn't really a fan of his stuff on Uncanny X-Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

Which X-Men is bad? The first collection of All New X-Men was good, at least!

Bendis' X-Men stuff gets pretty bad pretty fast