Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

I get that anybody with "Hulk" in their name is gonna be pretty buff, just... check out Whilce Portacio's Red She-Hulk in this week's Incredible Hulk #7.

:stare: God drat.

Her right shoulder is a bicep. That doesn't seem right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

HAmbONE posted:

Then a real artist comes along who has the balls to change how bullets are fire from guns completely

Maybe people were throwing bullets like darts at the guy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I'm really confused. How does cutting them in half do anything to halt their velocity?

I thought he stopped the bullets Matrix style, then cut them in half.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I was thumbing through some junk boxes and found this horrible comic with an amazing cover.

As always Cooke delivers in spades. This is a truly horrible comic, the character design is awful but he worked magic and made it look amazing.

For some reason when I see that it looks like Cooke is channeling a mixture of Sale and Timm, who are both awesome artists.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

I like this theory because it accounts for animated Jor-El also being built like a brick shithouse despite being a scientist.

Kryptonians are just burly dudes.

On the flipside Jor-El looking like old Marlon Brando.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

That Ignorant Sap posted:

From Cable & Deadpool #30, This is just painful to look at, both pose and perspective.

Didn't know DD was a yoga enthusiast.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

RevKrule posted:

I think the sad part of that is Kaare Andrews can do some amazing stuff like this:

I think Andrews came up a lot earlier in the thread, but the consensus is that:

A: He is an amazing cover artist (just look at his Hulk covers and his current Ultimate Spiderman covers like this:

B: He loves to experiment with so many different styles that while yea his Emma Frost does suck he is not a bad artist as he was just experimenting with style (see also his more anime style in Ultimate X-Men

C: He is seriously a really nice guy and he even drew me a picture of Batman at a comic-con which seriously made my day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Codependent Poster posted:

That Gwen cover is gorgeous.

Agreed. I think that one is my favourite.

Kind of amusing that they are showing the major events in Spidey's life there and they leave out One More Day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
I prefer the idea of Bane having pain mask in the movies and luchador mask in everything else. The mask just works so well in a comicbook setting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

By that logic, real life prison inmates should be terrified of white collar criminals.

Joker would be a white collar criminal if he stole your life savings (while spraying your entire family with a laughing gas that would make them die with a smile).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Baron Bifford posted:

Joker must secretly be a telepath. He can mind control criminals into following him on the daftest of schemes. This is the only reason I can think of to justify how easily Heath Ledger was able to subvert every gangster and crooked cop he came across.

Not really. He is just really really really adapt at manipulation. In the same movie he managed to get a cop to beat him up so he could take advantage of the situation (want me to tell you which one of your friends were cowards when they died) and getting Harvey to go against everything he stood against (order) with a few words. Joker can read people and find their soft spots. Why he is scary. Same in the comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

SpeedofLife posted:

Okay, I don't know what's going on in these images, but I'm really, really intrigued. Is all of Animal Man like this, or is this just a one-issue deal?

Travel Foreman did the first 6 or so issues and his artwork is grotesquely beautiful. The comic itself is about Animal Man vs something called the Rot (and from that name alone you should get an idea of what things are supposed to be). Each issue contained something horrific like Hippos having their stomachs burst open from the inside or disgusting growths. This perfectly set the mood of the comic and was amazing, however it apparently took a bit of a toll on Foreman who left the title (I think due to exhaustion or something like that). The new artist, whose name currently escapes me) is doing a good job keeping up the style but Foreman was knockng it out of the park.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

Batman: The Dark Knight #12

Can someone tell me how David Finch became a superstar artist again? This is just sad. (DAT CHEST PILLOW)

(I don't know whose fault it is, but I also enjoy just how uh, well integrated the draped costume on the right-hand side is with the rest of the scene.)

So that is Liefeld's Captain America without his shirt on, right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
I was looking back at some old comics in my collection and came across 52. Have I ever mentioned how much I loved the covers by J.G. Jones?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
The Joker origin by Mark Waid was pretty good.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Dear Jae Lee,

I love your stuff, man. But this has got to stop.

I don't know why apparently the only photo reference you own is someone in that pose looking down, but goddamn it, get some new pictures, ok? Because this is SO loving NOTICABLE it's driving me crazy.

Not just the side view but he really really really loves the side angle view.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
He seems to have a sagging chest.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

How much of that was drawn by Bill Finger?

Considering the stylistic differences and whatnot I would say quite a few.

Honestly Kane was never a good artist and it is quite easy to tell his drawings. The only interesting thing he bought to the table artistically was his idea of using "camera angels" in the artwork (giving different views to express mood and atmosphere) and even that was probably heavily influenced by Finger.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
To paraphrase Spinal Tap: What's wrong being sexy?

How about some awesome art work for an awesome artwork thread. Have I mentioned how much I love Andrea Sorrentino artwork in I, Vampire?

I heard a rumour that he is leaving the book soon and that is making me very sad. He gives off a bit of a Jae Lee vibe but I prefer his stuff as Lee can come off a bit stunted and uses the same poses very very often (though he makes very pretty artwork too).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
In regards to Lee, I really like him as an artist because he does the "traditional" superhero look very well. We are talking about characters where the men are sculptured muscular men and the women are supermodels with swords. Is it stylistic and different? No, but that is not what Jim Lee is selling. He is doing superhero comics about superheroes looking like superheroes. Not realistic but an ideal almost. Lee does this very well, and while tastes may change, Lee is consistent enough and his style was accepted to be the driving force, for good or bad, of the look of comics for a very long time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Fish Of Doom posted:

Apparently when you recolor something, you have to remove all lighting and color temperature?

Anyways, this was posted on the Hawkeye Initiative and I have no idea what the gently caress is going on with her body. She's apparently just a giant hip with a boob and an arm sticking out of it.

Edit: I'd love to see someone redraw her when he's just standing straight up.

She looks like she has a...growth or something coming out of her side.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Goatmask posted:

"The new DC. There's no stopping us now."

Oh geez.

I am pretty sure that refers to the logo change.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

Okay, I guess my last one was really "Good/Bad Comic Art" since it got such mixed reactions. Here's something I hope I can get a more universal "What the gently caress?" on. Cap, what's wrong with your faaaaaace?

Age of Ultron 6

All I hear in my head when I see this panel is Captain American saying "G-G-G-G-Ghost!!!!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
I always thought that the reason stuff gets recoloured and such (like in the Sandman below) is due to paper quality. The simple colours that people love so much might like good on crappy basic paper, but as comics are reprinted on higher grade paper, the transfer might look...lacking. This was my assumption at least.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

This just got solicited today.

It'd be cool if these became a regular occurrence, and not tied to a character.

Of course the best thing would be for these companies to take advantage of digital and give a button to turn off colouring, then inks.

This just makes me think of Batman: Black and White and now I wish DC still did Batman: Black and White.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
How is the artwork in Holy Terror?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Drifter posted:

I have seen people who've complained in the past about comic artists posejacking each others' work and the like, what's the difference between that and this?

One is a homage, the other is tracing hoping no-one will notice. It's kind of like the Kaare Andrew's covers for the Incredible Hulk.

This isn't some artist ripping off Sandeck and claiming it as his own but rather taking the inspiration from the art and adding his own twist to it, still staying faithful to the original. So yes, homage not blatant plagiarism.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Flesh Forge posted:

This is something that you don't really see too much any more, hand-lettering that has a context other than an innovative way to draw "BANG" - look at the question marks, how they resemble Hebrew.

I don't know if it is intentional or not, but the question marks that resemble Hebrew also resemble the double "yud" which is one of the ways the name of God is written in the Torah.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

I was quite digging the background and then I saw Thor.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
The one thing I have hated the most about Finch's art is his faces. Everyone, man and woman, has the same face. It really annoyed my in his Ultimate X-Men run and I can't stand the books he draws because of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Capullo also suffers from that. I remember a promo that he did of the JL and everyguy had the same face, it was kind of eerie. Actually, a lot of DC artists had the same problem: as much as I like Kirkham, Rocafort and Reis, they seems to have only a few faces on their repertoire.

According to the internet, Richard Friend

I admit that Capullo also does it but the reason I like his style over Fincher any day is because Capullo is a lot more cartoonish. I can accept the flaw in something like a cartoon where every character has the same chine or eyes or whatnot but with Fincher he goes for a more photorealistic style and then it looks like he uses the same model for every character he draws regardless of sex, race, and age.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The covers for Forever Evil are...

...something else

Why's Finch considered a 'star talent' again?

Van Sciver cover isn't that bad but Harley's face is creeping me out.

I was surprised to see that the second one was Sciver. It's usually Finch's thing to have everyone have the same face (look at Luthor's and Black Adam's face)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Senor Candle posted:

EDIT:
On the other hand...

From the All New X-Men special.

This is one thing I never got. I was powering through my friends copies of DMZ and I noticed the artist would do some great building detail but forget to draw in people's faces. Why do artists do this?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

DrSunshine posted:

Is comic book dialogue nowadays that melodramatic, or is does it make more sense in context? Because man, that's some bona-fide Silver-Age melodramatic hamminess there! Lovely! :allears:

What you talking about? That there is downright poetic!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

One of the worst comic artists I've ever seen has never been published by Marvel or DC.

It's Matt Seneca. This is a guy who draws everything from off-putting, creepy, poorly drawn comics about him perving on women in the subway

to creepy, poorly drawn comics about an imaginary date with Anne Hathaway

I get wicked douche chills from his work. Ugh.

For someone who is supposed to be drawing the beauty of the female form he sure makes his women look....manly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

bigbigtruck posted:

I've seen his name a lot on comics sites, though I can't remember where or in what context.

He did a retrospective on the Solo books on Comicsalliance. I couldn't read all his reviews because his first review was so terrible, basically how can this awesome indie artist stoop so low to write a crappy book for DC (DC being a mainstream comic publisher therefore all it's books are crappy). I don't know if his reviews got any better but the first one was just so terrible and seemed to be more about his gripe with DC then anything else.
He also burned a copy of Morrison's Supergods because of some gripe he had with Morrison (I think he saw Morrison as a false messiah or something).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

From the back of the Teen Titans Lost Elseworld

You've never enjoyed anything as much as Nick Cardy enjoyed drawing Wonder Girl. Godspeed Nick.

(DC) Superheroes.....smiling.....this is something I have never seen in a while (ie in the last 15 years).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
But it ages the character.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib
As much deserved gripes J. Scott Campbell gets I still like him as an artist. His art seems to have a nice flow to it and actually feels like the characters are moving. Also it just seems fun and silly for the most part (at least in Danger Girl).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Fallen Rib

Lobok posted:

Romance novels try to make the settings appealing, warm, erotic. There's nothing comforting or arousing about the cold void of space, and both of their expressions are inscrutable.

The first existential romance comic ever written. I imagine Diana and Clark speaking in Swedish accents.