Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
HI KIDS HERE'S MY VAGINA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I want to say that's got to be the wrong aspect ratio, but the perfectly circular FX on the left hand and the length of the right hand indicates otherwise. There's some cool things going on with technique but ughghghgh what the gently caress proportions ugghghghghgh.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm looking for some kind of statement being made in that comic and all I can come up with is, "Christopher Reeve was an actor who made some movies!"

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean I guess there's something going on with Jane Seymour in the movie theater scene, and her again in Somewhere in Time, but wow it seems pretty shallow and not at all connected with the script. Maybe I'm just not clever enough to get it but it seems like the writer was trying to say something about fictional characters overlapping into real life and vice versa but - is the movie theater thing with Seymour a real thing that happened? It seems so forced and improbable.

e: I guess I should say something about the art? Photos with really ugly Photoshop filters is really lovely.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 13, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

cmykjester posted:

Not exactly a comic book, but I think this goes in the thread.

the anatomy of the zeppelin
or perhaps the balloon sculpture

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dr Crane is that you?

At least his women have nice faces. Shame about the stick bodies.

Not a fan of his derpy tiny eyes, tiny nose faces. They actually remind me of Liefeld's stuff.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Brian Bolland makes more from a single cover than most artists do from 20 pages. Same for Alex Ross.

To be fair, Alex Ross puts more work into a single cover than most artists do for 20 pages.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh no, that poor mermaid! When the tide comes in she'll drown :ohdear:

What's really terrible about that anatomy wise is not even that she has knees, it's that she only has ONE knee (the right side). It's like he started out with a pretty mundane girl chained up cheesecake thing and then when he was 90% done he said, oh hey I'll paint a fish tail over the feet, that'll be cool. Also how the gently caress can the fin articulate?

Occurs to me that maybe she has two fishtailed legs? Where's the other one? :iiam:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 18, 2013

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The tiny little long-rear end fingernails do not befit a warrior :black101:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Seriously, you cannot tell me that Liefeld cover is better than the Perez cover.

I'm pretty sure the Liefeld cover was the crater. The Perez cover is great for what it is, a huge compositional mess that shoehorns every character possible into the image. It's a whole lot better than most of that type.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

OK Octopus posted:

It's not really much of a punchline to actually draw a man in a skintight costume with, y'know, a penis. Because most of them have that. It's really far more of a conundrum that this medium has existed for the better part of a century and everyone's still going around saying, "La La La no dongs on men in spandex!" when we live in a post Tron Guy world.

Especially given how much comic book artists love drawing boobs.

Yes but I have it on very good authority that dicks are icky and gross, whereas boobs are pretty neat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh god that looks like some terrible webcomic. I like the color and lighting in the Xavier interview page but wow otherwise it's all really lovely and garish and badly drawn.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

This is the cover for the upcoming Superman / Wonder Woman #7, due in April. Although it's good work from a technical standpoint, it doesn't feel appropriate for a cover. It looks more like a panel from inside the book.

I actually love it but it looks like it's inked sloppy, which has absolutely got to be intentional. It looks great but the roughness bugs me. I like stuff to be a little rough, like some of the Noto pieces earlier, but that's a bit much. I really like WW's face there a whole bunch though.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Good find. That's not even referenced, it's in photoshop filter territory like some of Greg Horn's crap, although I wouldn't have thought so looking at the finished illustration.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is one thing that I never really got: At what point is photo referencing okay and at what point is it wrong? I'm not saying 'tracing' but more along the lines of, "I'm using a picture to base a rough figure/layout around, figure out lighting, fabric folds, etc. and now I'm putting the picture away and making something totally different off of it."

It's pretty normal to refer to other things if you're trying to draw something that looks like that other thing, I really doubt anyone seriously has a problem with someone using photo references. Especially when it comes to anatomy, people think they know what human bodies look like and how they work, but without careful study of references you wind up with, well, terrible poo poo like Rob Liefeld's drawings.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

I had a book somewhere on drawing that said you shouldn't draw or paint something from any photo that you didn't take yourself or own the rights to. I also remember people in school who'd say that you were only 'copying' something if you looked at a picture of it and that it wasn't real drawing, just tracing.

That's absolutely true, in the sense that it would be a derivative work and could be a form of copyright violation - however there are gobs and gobs of sources of reference photos that are sold or given away with exactly this kind of legal exception, like 3d.sk and their massive library of anatomy pics. (3d.sk is really awesome by the way)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Beanpants posted:

I wouldn't put JG Jones in the same box as Greg Land just because of that cover. If he uses that photo over and over again, and in a context where its a bad choice, and then also swipes from other artists, then you'd have a point.

That really depends on whether the photo he traced was used with permission or not. It's a pretty black and white legal and ethical problem if there wasn't any permission given.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Haven't we had long arguments in this very thread where stylization was crapped on?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes, yes it does.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Found the last page from Thor: God of Thunder #19

That's how you make an entrance.

This doth own as well.

e: verily!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 23, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I get what you mean.

There's just so much crap that goes up weekly that I think we could do with delving into more awfulness.

For example this is just from scanning this week's new on Comixology.

It's like all the worst Deviantart types got paying gigs, wow.

VVV well if you've never actually seen one it's probably kind of hard to draw them

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 27, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jedit posted:

Please don't post Blacksad, the mods frown upon it when you post all of it but posting less would not be appropriate.

SHUT UP NERD (I know, you're kidding)

From Terry Moore's Rachel Rising:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Lobok posted:

I'm not going to fall for this. I'm going to pore over the picture just because it's cool.

No, there really is a little dude with - uh - quite a Waldo-like expression, look between the two tanks. I'm sure that's just what it is.

e: He's even waving :3:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i'll just leave these here i think they speak for themselves

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also where are Noah's pouches and why isn't he grinding his 5000 teeth. What has happened to Mr Liefeld and what the gently caress were the producers thinking to use him for a poster for that particular movie?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why does Matt look so girly in the left panel?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SMP posted:

Marvel really is doing an amazing job. Thor: GOT is gorgeous, as is every other Marvel book I'm reading (Black Widow, Ms. Marvel, All-New Ghost Rider, Moon Knight, the list goes on.)

For content: here's a preview of the upcoming Elektra book.

Look at those loving colors.

Man that is an awesome example of why comics can do things with storytelling that movies or really any other media never can.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

We talked about that particular book earlier in the thread and while the covers are really lovely and weird looking, the interiors are awesome (same artist, so what the gently caress happened I dunno).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

Ohhh, I see now. I admit I was also being dumb and not completely understanding the problem.

Which is the point, I suppose! Good coloring accentuates the art and furthers it, not complicates it. But it should do so subtly.

I am not super good about color sense myself but yeah the Incal recoloring was pretty blatant even to me. The originals are bright, crisp and fun to look at, while the redone versions are muddy and just not nearly as engaging.

BiggerBoat posted:

God drat. Talk about lovely coloring.

And yes, while I don't really like the super-heavy brushstrokes of the inking there, what's really nasty is the coloring.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Scott is gripping the toilet bowl on both sides, locked in the agony of post-TacoBell Syndrome HHNGHGHGN

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think the issue is mostly stand-alone-readable if you wanna check it out.

Oh comicbooks :allears:

Seriously you'd never see two male characters composed anything like that, aside from the spine breaking and all the mauve. Nice job DC! :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

catlord posted:

panty shot

Oh comic books :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a key difference in that in anime/manga it's such an orthodox thing that it even has a proper technical term (pantsu).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

And what is your point exactly?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

It's a goddamn face. How did it take me a day to realize this?

It got me too, looking at it fullsize. :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gavok posted:

WWE Superstars is drawn by a guy named Puste who is so bad that I was able to make a top 10 list out of a single issue.

oooh yeah baby i'm loving your armpit and licking your ear is that erotic for you???

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

This is the good/bad comic book art thread and it appears those panels are somehow both! :confuoot:

Is that not a pretty cool accomplishment though?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't hate it, but it just seems like an attempt to copy Kirby to me without trying anything new with it. Which is fine but...we already have Kirby and this dude is decidedly inferior to Kirby.

What I liked a lot about those GI Joe pages is that the artwork genuinely resembles the toys, which can't be by accident judging from his other artwork. It looks wonky if you're looking for realism and perfect anatomy but on the other hand if you look at it as those weird plastic action figures posed in various ways then it looks pretty great. I'd bet he actually referenced the real toys while drawing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I had to stare at that for a long time before I figured out what it was, which is a bunch of ballsacks. Neat!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Luna Brothers' artwork is basically the Realdoll of the comics world, their characters are so bizarrely slack and bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

To be fair yeah that's a pretty loving fabulous scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJJjcrwXQE