Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pacra posted:

Following up with Igor Kordey's mind-boggling Wolverine and Gladiator faces :pwn:
His Emma Frost is pretty bad too:

I'm also not a big fan of Jeanty's art in Buffy, it looks really flat and lifeless:

I'm a really big fan of Enki Bilal though. He has really distinct style and some of his art is gorgeous. The Beast Tetralogy is probably his best work artwise:

Grzegorz Rosiński is another artist I really dig:

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

My taste in artists range quite a bit. I love Jim Lee who has a very traditional approach to the artwork. Despite having a lot of imitators I think he still has a very unique a cool style.

Have to say that I don't see the why so many love Jim Lee. Technically he's good but I don't see how he's unique. I just find his art very generic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Beanpants posted:

It seems generic because over half of the industry has spent the last 20 years doing their best (worst) Jim Lee impression, so his style is now ubiquitous.

I don't if I really agree with that. I hadn't even read that many superhero comics before I was exposed to Lee's art. The first "real" Batman comic I read was probably Hush. And while the art certainly wasn't bad it didn't really strike me as unique either.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Great:
I really liked Skottie Young's art in New X-Men Childhood's End:

i also liked Milo Manara's art in Borgia, even when he wasn't drawing people loving each other:

Bad:
I might be in the minority with this one, but I really hated Parlov's art in Punisher Max:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I always kind of admired Adam Hughes because even though he's basically built his whole career on Power Girl popping out of her outfit I don't think I've ever looked at something he's drawn and been repulsed like I am when I'm subjected something Greg Horn has done.

I agree with that. But I still kinda rolled my eyes when I saw his covers for Catwoman, maybe especially because the Brubaker run was almost no focus on t&a. But suddenly Catwoman's cleavage and not her personality was important (this is as much the new writer's fault as the artists though). And none of those covers were as bad as Greg Horn's.
But I really liked this cover though:

IS the one cover where Catwoman seems like a human.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bad art:

Juan Jose Ryp

Awesome art:

Peter Madsen

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

I think it's pretty obvious by now that Greg Horn has some female issues and gets off on seeing them dominated and in submissive poses.

It's hard to argue against that when he does poo poo like this:

Greg Horn posted:

This painting gives new meaning to the term "Hot Babe". ... heh

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

You know who actually sucks? Greg Horn

How about some good cheesecake? Red Sonja is one of my guilty pleasures and Frank Cho has made some really good art for that comic:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Destructo posted:

I think he's a really good artist period, not just for cheesecake.
Yeah, pretty much:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Oh man, I had never seen this before, that's awesome. Ro-Man, a Mu-tant, Audrey II, and "It" that tried to conquer the world? I'm not sure about the guy on the right, he might be an invader from mars.

You should check out the Creature From the Black Lagoon comic he made, it's all kinda awesome:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sprecherscrow posted:

Great sense of motion conveyed. But he draws everything to look so grotesque. When drawing things that are meant to be grotesque it works, but he fails to really understand the idea of comic art as conveying information so too much gets drawn the same. As a result his panels are cluttered and hard to discern. Ugh.

There's a Swedish artist called Hans Lindahl which I really like. I think that he's pretty great at drawing grotesque things but unlike Ryp he can also draw normal humans good too:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some good art.
Philippe Delaby's art in Murena:

Juan Gimenez' art in Metabarons:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arctic Baldwin posted:

The Technopope! Wow.

The Technopope:

(Art by Moebius)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That's a pretty sharp decline of quality:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Munchface posted:

Honestly, just because something isn't photo-realistic, doesn't mean it's terrible.

It doesn't, the art of Darwyn Cooke:

and Tim Sale:

Is pretty far from photo-realistic but they are still some of the best artists in the industry. But that X-Men art is pretty bad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fantabulero posted:

If your argument is that it'd be nice to see more talented creators making their own original work instead of just contributing to the old reliables, then I totally agree! But I don't think it's a totally either/or situation - doing great, interesting and/or innovative work with pre-existing franchises? I think there's value in that too.
Agreed. I think that that could produce some interesting stuff, like Milo Manara doing X-Men for example:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

To fully appreciate Liefeld you just have to stare at the amazaningness that is this picture:

I think you mean this picture:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/ML7n8.jpg:nws:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Post them, all comics are good here.

Marguerite Abouet

Juanjo Guarnido

Enki Bilal

Grzegorz Rosiński

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

d00gZ posted:

Thanks, Let's Be Friends Again.

Those guys on the right is in for a disappointment:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/gvjHZ.png:nws:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

It was done by Maxwell Lord

Do DC have grudge against Keith GIffen and J. M. DeMatteis or something? It seems like DC is destroying everything they made. First they raped and killed Sue Dibny, then they made Max Lord into a fullblown villain and had him shot Blue Beetle before they killed of Lord for good measure. They even destroyed Bialya.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mazed posted:

To be fair, it's not as horrifying as I expected it'd be, but it's certainly no improvement.

COuld've been worse:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Nat posted:

Since there's a lot of talk of warrior women and what they should look like here lately, here's some stuff by Ross Campbell from Glory #23, which comes out next week, and is pretty much a completely different take on a tough female character than you usually see in comics
Have to say that my favorite is Kriss of Valnor drawn by Grzegorz Rosiński because she looks like a normal human being:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mazed posted:

Unfortunately, this isn't often evident of comics because lots of artists will only draw like two body types maximum, and always with tense muscles. Off the top of my head, one artist that actually did invoke this was Frazetta, but aside from maybe covers, his work wasn't for comics. Does anyone know of any comic examples that do convey this well?

European comics:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/A3TSi.png
http://i.imgur.com/VRdSN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/B5xnY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0qpTP.png:nws:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kujeger posted:

#1 & #3 are by Enki Bilal, from his Nikopol series (which is excellent, by the way). Not sure about the artist/series of #2 and #4.

They are by Grzegorz Rosiński from Thorgal.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

al-azad posted:

Nudity is used a lot in European comics for artistic effect due to the cultural difference. The naked body isn't as taboo so there's no need to draw attention to the nude form.

No kidding, this for example was a cover of an album that was sold in convenience stores and no one in my country batted an eye:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/3boaR.jpg:nws:
The fact that American superhero comics wasn't allowed to show nudity also came as a surprise because I was used to this:
:nws:http://i.imgur.com/r0WWt.png:nws:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

And the fact that her suit conforms to individual butt cheeks is weird and probably really uncomfortable.

At least she wears a suit and not a thong like most super heroines.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 4, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pacra posted:

did we already talk about this yet

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

To bad she's a psychopath.

Also part giraffe.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress is going on with her neck?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 9, 2012

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zatanna's body just doesn't look right, it's like a female version of Liefield's Captain America. It also looks like she ad her rear end transplanted to her chest.

This cover, also by Adam Hughes, on the other hand looks great and even if I've heard bad things about Fairest this cover makes me wanna read it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I've recently become a fan of Alessandro Barbucci's art:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Not the worst Emma Frost
New x-men 128

Letting Igor Kordey draw New X-Men is not the best decision Marvel has ever made:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

Yes, and her method of "helping" the marriage is to psychically seduce Cyclops and trick him into having sex. Eventually they develop into a vaguely functional and healthy couple, but at the time she was absolutely meant to seem menacing/creepy.

Was she also meant to seem vaguely human shaped? Because if so Kordey failed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just read the Extrasensory trade of Madame Xanadu and they really decided to go out with a bang:

Marian Churchland

Celia Calle

Chrissie Zullo

Zullo is also a good cover artist:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Springly posted:

Nor would there ever be a crease above her breasts, unless she has some goddawful implants.

Actually:

(Also from New X-Men)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Springly posted:

Nor would there ever be a crease above her breasts, unless she has some goddawful implants.

Actually:

(Also from New X-Men)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's a completely different world to later Preacher, even. Dillon's givafucometer broke about 6 or 7 issues into the run.

His brother Glyn seems to be on the other side of the spectrum though:

(From the Nao of Brown)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Dear Jae Lee,

I love your stuff, man. But this has got to stop.

How has that woman not toppled over?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

I was looking back at some old comics in my collection and came across 52. Have I ever mentioned how much I loved the covers by J.G. Jones?

J.G. Jones is a pretty good cover artist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

X-Force (that version, at the least) ain't a mainstream comic, exactly.

Trying to portray the re-animated corpse of Princess Diana as a super hero isn't exactly the way you wanna go if you want your comic to be mainstream.