Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I loved Todd Nauck on Young Justice, but haven't been terribly impressed with his work since; he seems to be emphasizing all the wrong tendencies in his work. What was a quirky, kinda cartoony style seems to have evolved into an over-stylized mishmash.

Still, I don't think you get a good sense of what he brings to the table with single, static pin-up images. One of the things I think Nauck does best is that he's an excellent storyteller; there's rarely any of those "I can't tell what's happening in this panel" moments from him, and he's very good at selling a script's emotional nuance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mechanigma posted:

I think Jae Lee is a fantastic artist, but the images you posted really highlight a problem I have with his work nowadays. It seems like every image he does is either in profile or directly face on (usually with the character's head pointed upward), with the misty background left to be filled in by the colourist. Don't get me wrong, individually it's still great work, but it feels to me like he's settled into a groove and is afraid to push himself anymore.

Jae Lee does brilliant still images, but I find his sequential art storytelling to be... murky, at best. I don't know if I like seeing him draw comics but I love seeing him draw covers, if that makes any sense.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Hollis posted:

Why do people not like Juan Jose Ryp? I love him he's one of my favorites :( His work on Wolverine the Best there is was great. It was really toned down somewhat and looked great, at least i thought.

Ryp is a brilliant artist, but like Dacap said, he needs the right writer. He needs, I suspect, a helping hand in controlling his urge to fill in every spot of blank paper with something. If he lets that tendency run away with him his art gets busy and overwhelming, but when he keeps it under control he's a spectacular artist and a fine storyteller.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Madrox posted:

Crain was pretty guilty of this with his Ghost Rider and X-Force work. The issues were very dark and muddy. I get the feeling part of it is stylistic choice. I think the other part is that he was still learning as far as the rendering and digital painting go. His current series, Carnage USA (with Zeb Wells writing), is much brighter and more colorful.

Crain is actually, IMHO, a pretty decent artist but he's not necessarily the best visual storyteller - when a scene is supposed to be dark and moody he makes it dark and moody and it's tremendously evocative but you have no idea what's happening. Great art, poor storytelling.

He does seem to have vastly improved with Carnage USA, so there's that.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Judging by the flatter nose and "angle" of the rocks jutting out of the back of her head I think it's meant to be assumed that she's African-American with dreadlocks in a "bouffant" style, but drawn with one consistent inhuman skin tone.

Honestly there is kind-of a basis for racism there.

Yeah, Bling there (seriously, her name is Bling, or occasionally with an exclamation point, so Bling!) is not only a young African-American mutant but is in fact the daughter of two popular hip-hop musicians (Roy "Daddy Libido" Washington and Angel "Sexy Mutha" Depres - you can't make this poo poo up) who appeared in her parents' videos from a young age.

She's... well, she's not an inherently offensive character to my mind, but the fact that she started out as a broad caricature and (and this is the important part) has never really been developed beyond that point is pretty bad. She's appeared in some stories but she's never had a chance to develop much depth beyond the superficial.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Should probably point out the artist has a habit of contorting spines a lot:

Ms. Ferris, I promise we'll find the bastard who glued medicine balls to your collarbones!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Only wise men can see these toy rings.

Oh! Oh, I see them! And I'mwearing one too!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Tuska is awesome and deserves more love.

Vanderdeath posted:

Why does the Statue of Liberty have miniature statues popping out of it?

Edit: And the Empire State Building. I just now noticed that, too

Note the 'Earth-212' bit in the caption; I gather that Earth-212 is basically a mega-New York or something. There was something in an interview... ah, here we go.

quote:

Gillen: She's much cooler than everyone else. When we first meet her in the "Marvel NOW! Point One" issue she's in an alternate dimension, 212, which is an infinite New York. The mountains are made out of Empire State Buildings and things like that. That's my way of reinventing the concept of someone from a cooler place than where you are. It's like that if you meet someone from New York for the first time if you come from somewhere lovely like Stafford. You're a bit starstruck because frankly you're brought up with these ideas in the media that they are in some ways more interesting and worldly than you are, and in may ways they probably are. [Laughs] In a totally in-canon way, Hulkling and Wiccan are glorious big geeks. America Chavez isn't. She's totally bemused by half the stuff they talk about.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

It's omnium mesh. See? He says so.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

This panel is from Ultimate Power #2. Spider-Man is swinging way about the skyline - what exactly is his webline attached to?

...a helicopter? Maybe? I guess?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Semper Fudge posted:

And on a mildly related note, If I never saw another dinosaur in superhero comics that would be just dandy. It has easily become the most played out gimmick in Marvel and DC's hand. Dinosaurs in my cape comics! Woah how fun and irreverent is this man???

This is a man who hates fun. Right here, people. This is what a Fun Hater looks like.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Wendell posted:

Yup, it's Sunder, not Guido/Strong Guy (Whichever he was called at the time).

He was still just Guido during the run-up to the Muir Island Saga (in which he appeared, actually). He didn't become Strong Guy until he joined X-Factor.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Angry Nerd-Rage Hyperion is the best thing ever.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Trast posted:

Wow, that looks awesome. I might have to scrap up some cash and start reading that series.

Do it. It's gloriously enjoyable. The intro arc was a misstep, but everything since then has been gold, IMHO.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why does he remind me so much of Adam X?

It's the hat.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Alan Davis wrote most of it.

Alan Davis doesn't deserve Alan Davis, clearly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Madkal posted:

I feel DC gets a bad rap but when you look at the stuff Manapul, Foreman, Sorrentino, Cappulo, Jae Lee etc put out it really isn't that bad.

There are some really talented artists working for DC, but I feel like it's half-negated by the way that the rest of their books seem to fall into a standard "house style;" if you're working for DC you're either doing something wonderfully idiosyncratic, or you're looking like everyone else, with no in-between.

Marvel seems more willing, at present, to let an artist do their thing, even if it's only a little different from what we see from everyone else.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

However well it sells, it should sell better. It's a wonderful, wonderful book.

The Endgame tie-in was adorable.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

ChrisCross's faces, while very expressive and fun, are also very, um... yeah. That.

I love his art, but it's an acquired taste.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

gently caress yeah Lord of Light. Super underrated book, and those illustrations are dope in that burnout kind-of way.

Wasn't that the basis for the fake movie "Argo" that Canada and the CIA used as cover to get some of the Americans out of Iran during the hostage crisis?

It's even better - the Kirby illustrations they used weren't for the book. They were for a proposed theme park based on the book.

Heresiarch posted:

Not at all. Lord of Light was written in a way which leaves a huge amount up to the reader to fill in, which is very different from a lot of modern fantasy where they spend a page and a half on on somebody's belt buckle.

Roger Zelazny - my favorite author of all time and the writer of Lord of Light - had a rule, that he explained in (IIRC) an essay included in one of his short story collections. When describing a character, never add more than three details at a time. If you want to add a fourth detail, wait a few paragraphs and add it in then.

Mind you, he also wrote a story called "Unicorn Variations" that opens with several paragraphs describing a unicorn walking through an old Wild West ghost town... and does not actually use the word 'unicorn' for something like three pages, by which time he's also introduced another character and a conflict.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

Zelazny can be hard to read if you're not prepared for his style. I've only read Creatures of Light and Darkness, and I found it equal parts brilliant and impenetrable, largely because I was coming at it with expectations based on modern mainstream genre fiction. I may have to revisit it, and this thread is making me want to pick up Lord of Light, which I haven't done for some reason even though Neil Gaiman directly told me to about five years ago.

Zelazny is, as I said, my favorite author; there is precisely one of his books I don't own. So here's the thing. Dude loved to play with form and expectation. At least one of his books (Eye of Cat) was essentially written just to see if he could. So, yeah; he, like a lot of the New Wave SF authors, can be hard to grasp.

The best entry points to his work are Lord of Light (Buddha vs. the Hindu Pantheon on a far-flung space colony!); The Chronicles of Amber (specifically the first five; they're closer to mainstream genre fiction than most of his work, and also are really good); and some of his short story collections (I recommend The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth And Other Stories, because even though he hated the title, it contains some of his absolute best work - especially note the novella "A Rose For Ecclesiastes;" The Last Defender of Camelot is another great one, and has some of his earliest work). Doorways In The Sand is a lot of fun too.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

The first 12 issues of American Flagg! were so loving good, you guys. So loving good. Like "deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns' good. The Duoshade illustration boards Chaykin was using let him do some amazing things with shaded textures and there's some phenomenal use of what I think was Zipatone that gives the art this amazing sort of Pop Art feel. It cannot be overstated just how excellent that book was.

Chaykin's art isn't my cup of tea these days either, but Jesus. So good. Anyone who wants to say Chaykin doesn't deserve respect is a butt.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cover to a new Darwyn Cooke art book.

There is nothing about this that is not wonderful.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Red posted:

I'm not sure where this panel is from - is it Liefeld, or an odd tribute?

It appears, from context, that that page is from Fantastic Four Unlimited #3, September, 1993.

The credited penciler is - I poo poo you not - Herb Trimpe.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Ron Lim's work is crazy-underrated. His characters' faces are expressive, his action is typically crisp and kinetic, he's an excellent storyteller who doesn't generally let the flash and spectacle interfere with the story. But you never hear about him as Really Fuckin' Good, likely because he was doing fairly conventional superhero work - it's just that he was doing that fairly conventional superhero work very well.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

4 Kids Walk Into A Bank #2

That is... really pretty sweet.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

hup posted:

Is that Dum Dum Dugan with a camo metal bowler hat?

Yes it is.

U.S. War Machine was actually not terrible. I mean, it looked terrible and the lettering was terrible and the writing was so '90s it hurt... okay, it actually was pretty terrible. But it wasn't Chuck Austen terrible.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

What? US War Machine is pure uncut Austen. It has things like a sequence where terrorists who are a rogue AIM faction with chemical weapons keyed to different racial groups with labels like "spic and span" and it turns out the leader is a self-hating black guy who's a white supremacist.

....I may have blacked out my memory of that sequence, I confess. Holy poo poo.

Even so, I found U.S. War Machine more palatable than Austen's X-Men simply by virtue of it going so far over the top that it becomes ridiculous. It's easier, I find, to not take a story too seriously when it pretty clearly doesn't take itself that seriously - and it clearly didn't, because Iron Dum Dum Dugan's Bowler Hat.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jedit posted:

OK, can someone explain Chuck Austen antipathy to me?

He writes poorly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Am I the only one whose reaction to Nurse Annie was apathy?

Nope.

I don't understand the vitriol, really, I found her just boring as gently caress, which is bad, but not as bad as the rest of Austen's run.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I love that one dude under the "BARON STRUCKER!" word balloon who can't figure out how to properly salute. There's always fuckin' one.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jim Lee used to be pretty awesome; as has been said, those '90s X-Men designs were solid as hell. Plus the dude draws great hair, which isn't always easy to do. I think his success has really accentuated the worst aspects of his art, though; his current art has too many busywork detail lines for my taste. Still, while I don't seek out his art anymore, I don't actively avoid it, either; even at his worst he's still better than some of the artists out there, so I'll take it.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

goatface posted:

Lords of Light is well into indistinguishable from magic mystical wierdness for a lot of it, so it's all good.

In fact "indistinguishable from magic" is kind of the conceit that makes the entire plot function, what with the people with access to technology saying "gently caress it, I guess we're gods now."

(Such a good book - and Kirby could do it justice)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Also I liked Sandman as the Thing's drinking buddy who was trying to turn over a new leaf, and Byrne couldn't even have him backslide or something. It had to be a Vince McMahon-esque evil trick, a plot to fool the heroes to do... something.

I was told of some story - but have yet to track it down - that came out not long after Byrne pulled that bullshit that detailed how The Wizard had hit Sandman with a brain-scrambling ray or something and convinced him that his attempts at reforming were just an evil plot, because The Wizard missed his old buddy from the Frightful Four and wanted his friend back.

I really hope that story actually does exist because it gives Sandman's heel turn some actual dramatic heft.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Red posted:

Why would a blind guy need a torch?

Warmth. Dude's standing in snow.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Whatever happened to Strongguy? The mutant who the more he used his powers the stronger he got, but the dumber he got?

Strong Guy didn't get dumber (though admittedly, he was never very bright, having debuted as Lila Cheney's bodyguard), but he had a heart condition, so if he kept absorbing kinetic energy (which is what charged his powers) eventually his heart would explode.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Nightwatch is so cool the first time I remember ever seeing him was in Maximum Carnage. What's cooler than that?!

...the surface of the sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alhazred posted:

So basically, the hat dropped a long time ago.

Empowered is one of those strange things where it sounds just absolutely terrible (hell the character was originally created because Adam Warren liked drawing 'heroine in peril' sketches at cons, I gather) and... it is absolutely terrible but scattered with just enough genuine emotion and a strange sort of... I mean I can't really say 'respect' but, like, sort of? anyways the point is that it's awful but it's also good. Its awfulness is a trope that gets deconstructed. It's a whole thing. Anyways, some people love it and some people don't and that's okay.