Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

redbackground posted:

Spider-Woman is having a terrible week:

Lookit dat little leg nubbin!

So this is like some kind of weird fastball special right?

Spiders regrow their legs right?

zoux posted:

Greg Land is a straight up deal breaker for me. Cannot, will not read books he draws.

I used to be able to look past the art for the story, that's who I got through UXM and the first couple issues of the new Iron Man. But it's just so bad now that if I see his name, I won't even consider it, no matter how much I like the writer. There's too many other good books to pay for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Amusingly enough, a couple years ago, I commissioned a piece from Rafael Albuquerque with Spider-woman and Ms. Marvel (Danvers). What I got is probably one of the least exploitative and restrained pieces I've ever seen of either character on top of being utterly amazing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

prefect posted:

Are there any superfolks out there with outties instead of innies?

Probably some morlocks, loving gene-jokes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been meaning to ask, who's less favourably regarded as an artist; Greg Land or Rob Liefeld?

Liefeld may be a horrible artist but he's horrible through his own talents. Land straight up just steals his talent through lightbox and photoshop.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Del Mundo's covers for X-Men Legacy were some next level poo poo.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Why is the right one more squished than the left one??? Not just her boobs, but her eyes have a similar problem.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Star Man posted:

When is that scratchy, sketchy kind of line drawing going to finally go away?

Well, Michael Turner has been dead for about a decade so that's one.

Though as long as Jim Lee and Marc Silvestri are still drawing, it'll never go away for good.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Nyeehg posted:

Seriously, nice of him to do that sketch. That common at cons?

Very common, although it costs. Some artists charge astronomical amounts (over $1k for even the simplest of sketches) while others charge very reasonably (head or bust sketch for $50-$75) and some will do decent quick sketches for free. It really all depends on the artist and their popularity. We have an entire thread devoted to commissions http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3512726.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Maybe it's supposed to be meth and someone doesn't understand what meth mouth really is.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Bad art made worse by Magik's lack of bangs.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

That's looks more like "sign my breasts" than "i'm taking my clothes off." I don't know anyone who takes their shirt off by pulling it down your entire body.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I love this picture so much. There's so much to unpack here. But if I had to pick a favourite part, it's that Carl (I hope that's the third character here because I guess it could be Glenn too, like I said, a lot to unpack) looks to have an unintentional discharge and is utterly surprised that his just went off in his hands.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I can't believe we're talking about Liefeld and no one's posted the video he did with Stan Lee back in the day.
The best part is when they "create" a character "together" and Stan's natural predatory nature takes over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry3hBVvfQ9w

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Frank Cho is one of those "separate the person from the art" people at best. He has exceptional skill and has a really good grasp on anatomy and different body sizes. As a person, he's an rear end in a top hat. Some people can separate the two, others can't, sometimes it comes down to the person as to how much you can stomach.

Dave Sim is another one like that. Glamourpuss was underrated as poo poo but it was a master class of skills from lettering to cross hatching to fashion magazines in general and Cerebus needs no introduction. However, his positions, especially with regards to women, are vile and really shouldn't be defended by anyone.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Opinions shape art (of all kinds), that's just fact. Sometimes they can be overlooked more easily than others. Or sometimes they're like Chuck Dixon who just published a graphic novel political smear book or Bill Willingham who's repeatedly snuck ultra extreme positions into his works.

The end result is that if you purchase comics of a certain author/artist, you're rewarding that opinion, even more so when it's an independent book. Not to get SJW here but with President Pussygrab coming, I'm not sure I can support someone who just thinks objectification of women, even if it's just fake characters, is something that's ok. It's a deeper problem than just comics but by supporting it you're implicitly agreeing with it.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Don Rosa is an exceptional artist but the colourist also deserves a lot of credit on that page. A great use of highlighting for effect and little things.

But both of them together made an incredible page that can be read without reading like good comics do.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Inking is so loving weird to figure out, to me, if I never see the pencils. It's one of those skills that can change the total meaning of a panel but if you didn't know the original intent, I'm not sure you could tell anyway.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Roth posted:

Is hiring manga artists to draw comics something Marvel and DC have tried to do yet? That feels like an obvious thing to try that I'd be surprised that they haven't.

Amy Reeder was on Batwoman for a while until there was internal strife. UDON did a run of Taskmaster.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dan Panosian had a really interesting piece on his facebook about inking btw.

https://www.facebook.com/danpanosian/posts/10154990270695712

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This is some serious optical illusion poo poo. Look at the "4." Is it over the left side of her uniboob or is it dead center?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Now I want to know who the artist he mentions later is and what book has the visible X's in the panels. Also Steve Lieber is a great artist and the biggest dork and I've rarely had better pro interactions. He gets so excited when you bring a book up to sign and he shakes everyone's hand with a huge smile. Love that dude. We dorked out over seeing a the famous actor walking the artist alley and I swear I can't remember who that was.

At a con a couple years ago, I brought my Hawkguy Omnibus to him to get signed. He was super excited to see it (not sure he had either gotten comps or maybe I was the first person to get him to sign it). He flipped through it and we had an awesome chat about it and then did an awesome quick bust sketch in it. He's just a super cool guy who I feel a lot of times is just happy to be in the industry.

If you ever get a chance to meet him, don't pass it up.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Wasn't this one a bad ink/color job and not bad lines? I seem to remember it was ok (not great but deffo ok) as an original and then it just got worse as more layers were added to it and people tried to "fix" it.

Though donkey toothed Batman is hilarious in its own right

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The neck goiter is really the biggest issue there imo, tho the arms look worse the longer i look at them.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm re-reading Zeb Well's New Mutants run and somehow forgot about issue 5.

Look at that fuckin horse.

Illyana looks so terrible here.

I know this run is incredible but ugh getting past this issue is tough.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The covers suck but the internals from Elena Casagrande and Jordie Bellaire are really good.

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1301232582424539137?s=20

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

A non-ironic Demver.

For those who haven't seen it:

I saw that on the road once. I was too in shock seeing a meme vehicle in real life to pull out my phone and take a picture. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/leahmarilla/status/1368417644622319616?s=20

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

HorseHeadBed posted:

There's a lower leg between Rogue's feet that I'm not sure belongs to anyone.

It's supposed to be Storm's but also there's a gap in the pose between rogue's thighs where the connection should be made but it absolutely doesn't. Also based on the leg positioning, Storm's right leg should be barely visible but it isn't.

I have to wonder how often Sage needs to pull up her tube top because that position pretty much says her nipples are gonna be exposed every time she breathes in the slightest bit too deeply. And the less said about Remy's hand and arm, the better.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The bad color job isn't doing the faces any good either.

That last panel is way too heavy on gradient and smudge like it's babby's first comic project.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know what we're arguing about but here's a palette cleanser because Mike Del Mundo is amazing

His recent variant cover for X-men is just unfair. No one should be this good.

https://twitter.com/FraMobArt/status/1387059513547710467

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

My favorite Thomas Kinkade thing is that he used his studio as a sweatshop where they would all do like 90% of the painting and then he'd take it, doodle in some details, put his name on it and sell it as an "Authentic Thomas Kinkade Original"

Edit: poo poo, I almost forgot the time he got so loving drunk he pissed on winnie the pooh at disneyland. Dude was a loving rear end in a top hat.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 10, 2022

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not gonna say that gradient shading in digital coloring is a bad thing, because it's not, but I absolutely love how classic colors really had to be made to pop in a different way and the little tricks colorists did without gradients.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Kim Jung Gi appreciation station. RIP

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Watching a couple live draws and just amazed again. A loss of exceptional talent.

This one's time lapsed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGbvhyTZXfs

This is a live draw recording from August.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqQQCB7e20

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Samovar posted:

What did he die of?

Sudden heart attack. Or more likely, god's jealousy of his raw talent.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I love how Magnus Robot Fighter's robot fighting is by doing karate chops.

In the year 4000, all robots rule the earth but their one weakness is the ancient art of kung fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not normally a "let's make fun of cheesecake" kind of person. I myself enjoy a good slice of cheesecake in comics sometimes. J Scott Campbell is just getting absolutely lazy as poo poo at this point.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1653135400624332840

Also which way is Black Cat's right leg pointing? It's like an Escher drawing in that area.