Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Superboy #6 had the oddest persective problem I've seen in a while (click for bigger):

Is Superboy huge? Is the van tiny? Did his leg grow really long to reach the van?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Simonson's work in Manhunter is amazing:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

But somehow I ended up with a copy of the Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold comic, and I always thought it was pretty impressive, and not at all like anything Disney-related I had ever seen before. It's long-gone now, but I've since realized it was by Carl Barks. Is that considered a classic, or does it have any kind of reputation at all?

That was one of the first full-length Disney comic stories (there were comic books before that but they mainly reprinted old strips) and it introduced the comic book versions of Donald and the nephews, who were quite different from how animated cartoons depicted them at the time. I think it also inspired the treasure hunting and travel to exotic places that Barks's stories were known for. However Barks didn't write that one, he just did some of the art.

david_a posted:

What about Carl Barks? Although I probably prefer Rosa because of the detail, Don seems to always have considered himself working in his shadow. No Barks, no Rosa. His body of work is pretty intimidatingly gigantic, though. I might pick up some of the more famous ones, like the story that influenced the opening of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Fantagraphics is reprinting all of Barks's Disney comics in hardcovers. The volume "Only a Poor Old Man" has some of the most famous stories with "Back to the Klondike," about Scrooge's past; the unnamed horseradish story, one of the most famous treasure hunts; and "Tralla La," about a secret city in the Himalayas. Another volume has "The Seven Cities of Gold," the one that inspired Raiders.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wait, this is real? I assumed it was a joke. Not one part of that cover looks professionally done in any way.

It was a follow-up to Marvels, and started in the 1970s where the first series left off. At one point it was going to be called Marvels 2 but apparently Busiek and Ross weren't interested and they changed it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Forget the hair, why is she orange? It isn't a bad depiction of Asians because in the second picture the other Asians don't look like that.

Anyway, she was blonde when she first appeared. She changed it to purple as part of her modelling career, in a story actually written by Alan Moore. Later her hair just became permanently purple.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
From the new Sex Criminals:

Did they all change places between panels?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
That was not long after the first live-action movie came out and they were trying to make the comic characters look more like the movie characters. I think they realized pretty quickly how horrifying they looked and dropped it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Here's some Carl Barks:

No one drew rocks like Barks:

And some strangely familiar-looking images:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

That looks fantastic! What's going on with the shifting art styles?

It seems to take place in a world where different fantasy creatures exist together, and some are drawn in different styles. I don't know if they're literally supposed to look like living cartoon characters, but it shows how different they are.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Tiny Nazis!

Thunderbolts (vol. 5) #1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
The tweet was taken down, probably because it isn't by J. Scott Campbell, it's by Anton Tarelov: