Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deadpool posted:

Halcyon #1

I guess being an urban vigilante, he never needs to slow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

Teen girls actually use that term irl.
Sadly, it is not just teen girls. I was grabbing lunch in my work cafeteria and heard a 20s-ish girl say "B-T-Dubs" non-ironically.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I love JRJr, but I can't really blame those who don't. I see him as an artist who has certain things he's really good at, but when outside those parameters, he's maybe not so hot. Women are definitely not his best work, but I couldn't imagine a better choice for World War Hulk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TJO posted:

This is by a concept artist called Matt Rhodes, I just really dig it. I imagine this thing slowly drifting closer until the planet is engulfed in darkness in its chest cavity and it feels Devourer of Worlds as hell to me.

Grootlactus!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The thing is that female anatomy DOES work that way or else Land wouldn't have been able to trace it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heresiarch posted:

I think we've been pretty drat specific about why we don't like Ramos. His anatomy is consistently bad. It is not bad because it is stylized; it is bad because it is wrong.
You could change Ramos to Kirby here and it would be just as accurate.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SkellingTon Loc posted:

GMo has his own theory about '90s art, that it was sort of a punk movement as a response to the "hippie" artistic stuff from the '80s and the British invasion. He's big into sunspot theory stuff, though.
From what I recall it's more the popularity of it was a punk response than the art itself. People bought what they felt embodied that (intentionally or not) and we ended up with the Image guys becoming popular.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was never a fan of Turner's work, but his style is certainly distinctive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It's like a bad cover song. The notes are there, they have the right instruments but the singer keeps adding his own stupid poo poo to the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJBkgoQNZ1w

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

See also Emma Frost
"No, I just enjoy the story about a high school girl and her friends!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Uh, if you were falling into a portal in the floor, you might get a bit contorted trying to get out, too.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's a hot tub. That actually makes less sense than a random portal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whatever it is, he *really* needs to check the alignment on that rear wheel.

And unfortunately, there's no American bikes that would be practical for a superhero who needs to get places fast. (It does look like a Kawasaki or 80s VFR, though.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Is Ed Benes' name pronounced "Beans" or "Beh-nes"?
Pretty sure it's the latter. Like Elaine from Seinfeld.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In his defense, none of them seem to be flying. They're clearly just posing in mid-air while falling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

I'm guessing pricing.
I kind of doubt they'd have a hard time justifying him on their summer crossover event.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SpeedofLife posted:

This is from The Avengers - Black Widow Strikes #03:

Yes, that's supposed to be the Black Widow.

Oh cool, they're bringing Marvel Zombies to 616!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I know you're trying to make a joke but they did that like 3 years ago.

The comic isn't even in 616, either, for that matter. THANKS FOR RUINING EVERYTHING, RHYNO.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

Bought this from some collectibles guy who set up at the mall.

The insides are fine, but I dunno what's up with Bizarro Supergirl and her horrific booblumps.

Well she *is* a shapeshifter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Christ... how many colors of Lanterns are there now? Is this like how there are multiple colors of the Hulk? I'm so out of touch.
Seven to nine depending on whether you count Black Lanterns and White Lanterns or not.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Based on the EX series, it was a horrifying experience for us, too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I always liked Finch's stuff on the Ultimates, I hated it at first though. My animator friend hates his style, says it's "too real".
David Finch is not Bryan Hitch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NorgLyle posted:

I guess that answers that. Seriously, we might be in 'hired the wrong one-legged wrestler' territory.
No, Finch is still pretty high up on, at least, DC's list of artists considering they gave him his own Batman comic to write and draw. He's worked on a lot of big name titles in his time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You mean stupid Bob Kane.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

You really mean awesome Bob Finger, gently caress you Bob Kane
Eh, they both had influence on the original design I think?

Anyway, here is some art I appreciated from The Shade #11.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 24, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The twist is that it's not actually a baby. It's the "mother's" Mini-Me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Emma Rios, but switching references on the same page is pretty glaring. (That her references are both anachronisms is only glaring to someone familiar with motorcycles.)

Captain Marvel #5

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

In the bottom panel, the headlight on the motorcycle seems to have receded between the bars.
It's a completely different motorcycle. The top one looks to be a BMW of varying vintages (the forks are appropriate for the year the story takes place in, but the tank, at best looks like one that wouldn't show up for another decade - and it's not even quite right for that). The bottom one appears to be a random mish-mash of parts of various bikes that she stuck together. It looks like she wanted to keep the BMW boxer layout, but couldn't find a good reference, so she stuck the front of a cylinder to something else and then made a pipe that goes to nowhere. Then there's another random pipe coming out of the front of the engine. It also has different forks and the fender lost one of its support bits. The rear suspension is also totally wrong for a BMW of that vintage.

For reference, here is a 1961 BMW R60/2 which the first bike mostly looks like (though the tank is a bit different):

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's super future armor, so it's some material we've never even heard of!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wendell posted:

Forge is cool, I wonder why he rarely gets to do anything cool.
Well, they made him evil then killed him. But now he got better and will be on Cable's X-Force, so he might do something cool there!

EDIT: WTF is a "vibranium polymer"? Vibranium is a metal, not a polymer.

EDIT 2: That onomatopoeia looks like it says "FUNSHAT!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Why do you even need Forge and Dr. Nemesis (who I still have no idea where he came from, he was just suddenly...there) in the same team?

Because they have completely different specialties.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Why is Colossus there? Did he angst up and need to go through the 'dark and edgy' wringer or is he just there to be the token good guy dope?
He's an outlaw after the whole Phoenix Five thing. That's kind of the whole idea of this team. A bunch of outlaws who don't follow the rules. I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The problem is that if it was Spider-Man, no one would bat an eye with half or more of the poses.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

Apparently X-men Legacy isn't selling very well, so Land's attempts at sexy may not be the best example for that argument :v:
What does Greg Land have to do with X-Men Legacy? He was drawing Uncanny and it sold right on level for Uncanny. He's currently drawing Iron Man which I have no idea how its selling (just that I'm dropping it).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fruits of the sea posted:

My bad, Legacy isn't even being illustrated by Land anymore. I should probably fact-check my comic shop gossip!

....And it never was.

Edit: my bad, he did three issues in 2010.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 10, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Semper Fudge posted:

I disagree. It has it's strengths, but that face is absolutely inexcusable. There's definitely a sense of kinetic energy in the panels that's completely absent from Big 2 comics, but at the same time the draftsmanship shown here is garbage. Now of course this is stylized and that's all fine and good, but the hallmark of good stylization is the ability to maintain it consistently throughout the work. This is clearly not present here.

In this preview, Carol's anatomy shifts wildly from panel to panel, her eyes grow wider apart in each page, and her red sash manages to grow 20x it's size in order to wrap around the t-rex's jaw. This artist actually reminds me a lot of Eric Canete, the difference being that Canete manages to pull off this kind of style competently.

Notice how Spider-Man has crazy and exaggerated proportions, but it never feels inconsistent? It's different, but Canete clearly presents his own vision vision of how HIS Spider-Man looks and acts.

And on a mildly related note, If I never saw another dinosaur in superhero comics that would be just dandy. It has easily become the most played out gimmick in Marvel and DC's hand. Dinosaurs in my cape comics! Woah how fun and irreverent is this man???

Next you're going to ask for no talking monkeys. Maybe cape comics just aren't for you anymore!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Kingpin" is the creatively-named Strong Guy (I'm not sure if he was called that yet, though).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, that Year One recoloring doesn't look that different at all. I rather like the water-color look of it. The Killing Joke one is horrendous, though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

I don't know about the rest of the book, but I think the recoloring of Batman's costume from blue to black was a good touch. Maybe it depends on how you first experience the book.

Also, I think the older a book is the less it should be recolored. Someone posted an image dump somewhere of a bunch of recolored stuff, and the stuff from the sixties and seventies looked horrendous, but some of the nineties stuff, like Liefeld's X-Force, looked pretty drat good as far as Liefeld goes.
Older stuff absolutely has to be recolored in modern reprints. It literally can't be reprinted without doing it. They no longer use the old color separation techniques and current paper leads to colors looking way more garish than they did on newsprint if the same coloring is used.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

Guess I'm a young comicbook nerd or something, never even heard of her.
She hangs out with a robot Wolverine named Albert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

It's like that one hideous Emma Frost panel, except he looks like that throughout the entire run. God, how people can stand that guy's art I'll never know.
Quitely didn't draw that panel.