Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Trast posted:

Stuff like that makes me cherish the times Amanda Conner draws Powergirl. Conner does plenty of cheesecake but its not even in the same galaxy as crap like that.

Power Girl was the last DC title I was reading. The way Conner did the poses and expressions were just perfect. A quick search makes me suspect she put more than a little of herself into her depiction of Power Girl.

Once she left, the book felt like unrepentant cheesecake and I stopped reading.

It was like the Emma Frost series. A book about a strong independent woman, let down by exploitative cover art that put off anyone not a horny teenaged boy from ever buying it.

The art, while not terrible in itself, ranged from:

Sabrina the Teenaged Mutant

To fear of abuse

To, damaged eye candy :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That Wolverine cover got me thinking. Unfortunately, I got me thinking of this cover from Wolverine: Revolver that I had thought I had wiped from my memory.

EDIT - Went looking for more, found a thread at the Statue Forums with the same idea as this.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 11, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
To be fair, the demon was apparently modeled on this bat:

But there's no excuse for that Wolverine.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lurdiak posted:

Is this where we got some hilarious post explaining that it was on purpose, and that Miller's deconstructing his own work? Because I love those.

I'm not going to defend that work, but I absolutely love the art in Sin City. Sure the stories were all the traditional Miller fare of Jerks and Whores, but I'm such a sucker for noir that I still enjoy the books.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

redbackground posted:

Batman: The Dark Knight #12

Can someone tell me how David Finch became a superstar artist again? This is just sad. (DAT CHEST PILLOW)

I like everything in that panel, except Batman and Scarecrow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pacra posted:

p.s. How does he keep those lenses in, anyway

I know this is from ages ago, but those armless glasses are called Pince Nez.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I've ever only seen her in the Runaways arc with the hundreds of alternate Wolverines.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Lars Blitzer posted:

Don't you mean Exiles?

Crap, yeah. I got my 'great series that I used to love so much but turned to poo poo' mixed up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I actually like how he draws superheroes. They're in the business of violence and they all look like prize fighters. They look like they've been punched in the nose and mouth a thousand times. They're not models straight off the catwalk, they're people who go face-to-face with gods.

And once you accept that you can throw yourself into his art. Every panel tells a story and the way he puts them together is like nobody else in the business. I fell in love with his work in We3. Nobody was doing stuff like that at the time.

(from We3, not sure which one)

Art and story telling that couldn't exist anywhere else except in a comic book. Panels drawn as literally slices in time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Heh, heh, heh. Bueno.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Teenage Fansub posted:

Check the sweetass art we'll be getting for the next seven months of DC event.

Yeah, Barbara. Work that casual conversation.

Look at the tied up guy in the first shot:

What initially drew my eye was how the hell he was supposed to be vertical when he was being carried like that, then I saw it - he's cut and pasted on! Look at how tied up guy's left shoulder doesn't have any outline and was just glued on top of Not-a-Robin's arm.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Oh no, that poor mermaid! When the tide comes in she'll drown :ohdear:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was just going to say how much that image reminded me of Frank Miller's Hard Boiled when I realised it's the same artist.

Such a stupid comic, but so very pretty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
She must have been the model for this pickup:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Presentation!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

It's from the Dreamworks movie Megamind. It's about a supervillain who succeeds in killing his rival and then realises he has no other purpose.

Yes, it definitely is a Dreamworks movie, but there's one scene that more than justifies the whole movie's existence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
One thing about Spider-Man is that he always comes off as completely hyperactive to me. He's stuck to a wall. He's walking on the ceiling. He's waving his hands around and talking a million miles a minute.

I could totally believe he emotes that much because he's the superhero who's defining feature is that he acts like he's just drunk a dozen energy drinks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Batman travels to the Fraggleverse.

EDIT: I now want the Fraggleverse to be a thing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
My one real gripe with the movie was that he looked too pretty after the treatment.

Hell, that Iraqi vet guy who had his face burned off still got married to his highschool sweetheart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
At least they tried :shrug:

My main point was that he just wasn't as ugly as he should have been. I had a great uncle who almost looked that bad just from a life working on a farm out in the sun each day.