Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Madkal posted:

The reason I like stuff by Jones and Kieth is they set up a great atmosphere and mood with their work. Reading Jones run on Batman was like watching a 1920's German Expressionism film about Batman. The thing that seperates them from someone like Liefeld is that they purposely distort and rearrange anatomy and setting to give the comic a certain field, and someone like Liefeld is just a lovely artist.

Another way to put it is the old adage, "One must understand the rules before one can break them." Keith understands them, Liefeld does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

fritz posted:

The drill sergeant looks an awful lot like R Lee Ermey.

The pose is from a shot in Full Metal Jacket but other than that it looks nothing like him.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Frank Quitely rendered this portrait of Alan Moore. I'd say it's pretty good.

Source = Bleedingcool.

Also there's stuff hidden in the beard.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

demolition rickshaw posted:

Kill me. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=32907

This is the first time I've not recoiled in disgust looking at Chaykin's work. I have to admit that with decent inks and colors Chaykin's stuff is tolerable.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I hate Bendis for that OMG bit.

Teen girls actually use that term irl.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He's talking about the woman in the giant explosion. Probably still wrong, but not "groping an underaged girl" wrong.

That would be "groping an underage girl who is genetically your twin sister" wrong.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

No, it really isn't.

I beg to differ. Killing Joke's original colors were distracting, loud and garish and contrasted horribly with Bolland's pencils. The new coloring is nice and subdued.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Yeti Yeti Yeti posted:

It looks like he stopped drawing when he got to the bottom inch of the image and the colourist had to make it up.

That is probably true since he is notorious for not being able to draw feet.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I prefer the new coloring in Killing Joke. :colbert:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I don't think we've had this much fun with an image since BoobCap.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Who cares if super-strong heroes and villains look buff or not? Spidey can lift 10 tons but he doesn't look like the Ultimate Warrior.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I like how in his first appearance the Watcher is doing the exact opposite of what he's known for.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Aciid c0d3r posted:

Up until this thread, I hadn't heard of Alex Maleev or Scarlet (I don't read many comics other than my old Dark Horse X-Wing comics, which have some pretty awesome art in them, if you ask me.) But these pictures are phenomenal! I particularly love the one in the middle. I think I have a new favorite artist. Thanks, Alhazred!

Go pick up the Bendis/Maleev run of Daredevil immediately. It's my favorite run of anything ever and I never gave gently caress one about Daredevil. They also collaborated on Spider-Woman which is collected in one trade. Beautiful stuff.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I don't think he's being a prude, I mean, it is a dick and it's a rule to NWS such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

prefect posted:

That's a very Kirby Thor.

I have the original image on a t-shirt and can verify that that Thor image is based on Kirby.