Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I post mine every year but I do a seafood soup, peking duck, sticky rice stuffing with lap cheong and water chestnuts, szechuan green beans and a mousse cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

No no, I did the gelatin + broth but didn't let it gel completely, just added the cool mixture to my filling. Came out... I dunno how to explain the texture but it was incredibly smooth and not very appetizing. My aunt said I should add shrimp bits, chestnuts, and maybe chopped cabbage to crunch up the texture.

This sounds like you mixed liquid into your filling? That just adds moisture to your filling so it doesn't cook into a solid mass which makes it... gross... You have to let your stock gel completely, then run a fork through to break it up into tiny pieces. Then when you're making the bao, put in your filling, and nest in some soup jello. By the time the cubes melt into soup, your filling has gelled into a solid. Some people do mix the filling with the gel (but keep it cool! do it in a stainless steel bowl that you froze in the freezer for 30minutes), so it does work but you have to let things gel.

quote:

I used the biscuit dough after seeing a YT vid of a Chinese American family doing the same thing, but yeah, it just didn't work. May try again this weekend.

Biscuit dough works. My family uses this shortcut all the time and it's delicious. You do need to use the cheap ones, my mom buys hers from Aldi's. They always come out perfectly plump and steamed, with a nice crispy layer on the bottom. Every time I've seen her do it it's just fried gently on low heat, but I'll ask her the exact way she makes them.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Phanatic posted:

What do you guys like to do with salted duck eggs?

There's only one correct answer.

Congee.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bob_McBob posted:

I finally tried angry lady recently. The flavour is great, and I love the crispy bits, but it's way too salty to actually eat. I will definitely be DIYing a batch though.

???

Don't eat it with a spoon.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
My parents used to just roast or steam the eggplant whole, shred it, then toss it with sesame oil and soy sauce. Easy, fast, and delicious.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Nicol Bolas posted:

I have SO many questions about steaming an eggplant. What happens? Do you salt it down first & rinse it? Do you score it or slice it in two? How long does it take? How much size do you lose when you steam? What is the texture like?

No salting, you just steam it whole. Let it get soft, I'd say it goes down by like 1/4? Not much really, just more of a loss of structure. When you shred it, it's soft and silky.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
No peeling. I'm not sure what you mean by fibers and chunks. Both?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Damp paper towel over top. But usually we just make batches of wrappers at a time.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
The velveting only refers to the cornstarch marinade and then quick oil blanch. You don't necessarily pound the meat - I've never seen that done personally for velveting since it's usually used on really tiny pieces.

The only explanation I've seen is that the cornstarch slurry forms a barrier between the meat and the heat and keeps juices inside. I don't know how much sense that makes.

Also I'm with grand formage that corn starch is readily used.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

caberham posted:

She doesn't use it. Nor do renowned Michelin starred Cantonese chefs in Hong Kong. The only remote case I can think of using corn starch is wet fried rice.

There's not much taste to the corn starch slurry, it's like a bio degradable food condom to pick up the oils and juices from your stir fry. It's a neat way to cook, but it's gimmicky like throwing baking soda on your green vegetables to make them look greener.

Michelin starred chef techniques are not reflective or representative of how the average competent/delicious kitchen of that culture cooks.

In any case, I don't buy that not a single Michelin starred Cantonese chef in HK uses cornstarch. Besides, HK is one of many many different regions. I just don't get your need to be all elitist about Chinese food and the 'one true way'. It's all just finely powdered starch. What's the big deal? You come off like Joe Bastianach talking about his mother and Italian food, without the credentials to back it up.

edit I grew up using tapioca starch, and use it in my own kitchen although I like cornstarch for my cauliflower and tomato soup.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 11, 2016

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I would like any stir fry Chinese vegetable dishes. I'm low on that!

I tried this, and it came out way too salty. :pwn: How much stock are you supposed to use, and how long to braise? I may have also put too much oyster sauce...

I'm loving amazed at gai lan and yu choy being like 97c per pound. I stock up on them every time I go to H-Mart.

Are you salting your stock? Your stock shouldn't be salted before you use it and then the dish should be salted to taste.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Why just labels? Post pics of labels with spice!

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
We call them white wood ear mushroom (bai mu er). They see pretty flavorless but I always felt it was more about the texture. My family ate it a lot.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Where did sriracha come from lol, I think you didn't mean to write that.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah mapo tofu is supposed to be red.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Flaggy posted:

I am looking for a good recipe for Pad Se-Ew. Don't know if this is the correct thread or if I should go to the Indian/Curry thread.

Neither? Ask in the General Questions thread.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
That olive poo poo is my favorite.

In general getting good alternative brands of stuff you can get here is my go to. There are a ton of zhejiang black vinegar brands which I prefer to the two brands we get here. Talk to the locals and find out what they use.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Are you guys sure....? I've never gotten any wok hei without a wok. I've used triply and cast iron when I don't care enough to bring out the wok. I have an electric glass top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You just need very high heat? Not necessarily open flame. It's certainly not the same as on open flame but there is a distinctively different layer of flavor than when I cook on a flat pan.