Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

Fu qi fèi piàn (夫妻肺片 - "married couple offal sliced", don't know the etymology) can be made with tongue, tripe (stomach), sometimes liver or any other type of beef offal (fèi) or just meat. I wouldn't skimp on using offal, it's quite tasty in a dish like this. Beef liver might be a bit too much for most, but tripe and heart is certainly nothing to be afraid of.

Heart and tongue are both like regular beef but firmer and more delicious. white meat : dark meat :: beef : heart/tongue. Just try not to think about where it's coming from if that bothers you. Also, tendon is freaking delicious but I can see how that might not be as universally appealing, it's like a very very firm gelatin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think the key to Chinese cooking is that you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. Especially stir fry. My family has never followed a strict recipe for anything, it's always just been eye-balling a fist full of this, a dash of that and replacing one ingredient for another if something isn't on hand.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've usually had it pressure cookered til it's nice and tender. And yeah, there's that prickly layer of tastebuds or something on the tongue that needs to be scraped off.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Eggs and tomatoes is pretty kid friendly and a Chinese classic that you don't see in restaurants much.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Asian family friend chipped a tooth on steamed fish. True story.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The Chinese ham/bacon that I've had also usually isn't very sweet while Chinese sausage is made of sugar. Sichuan also has some fantastic jerky that's kind of vaguely related to ham but not really.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any Lao Gan Ma + soy sauce/sugar/vinegar (use whichever combo you prefer) on spaghetti is delicious. Or with tofu.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

From a family experience, toss them

Toss em with soy and lao gan ma after you boil em. You can season em the same way you would Fu Qi Fei Pian from earlier in the thread.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You can fry up your peppercorns in oil and then run the oil through a strainer to retain all your numbing goodness without having stems and seeds in your food.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Mozi posted:

What's the best recipe for that common braised 青菜 and mushroom dish? Every time I make it the 青菜 (not sure what the English is for that) is all soggy and the mushrooms are underdone.

Isn't that just the Chinese word for vegetables?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Huh, my family has always called it qing cai though what you said works too. I assumed they were interchangeable. Bok choy was bai cai or you cai depending on the variety. We're from Beijing so I guess region might matter too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Man that is weird. I have never heard qing cai before to specifically refer to that. Always bai cai or you cai. Anyways, I'm not sure how to keep it from not being soggy but I suspect you'd want to pre cook the mushrooms. Also, when cooking greens in general, you can add a bit of baking soda to keep them a nice green color instead of having them turn yellow from over cooking.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Stir fry with napa. Kai yang bai cai. http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/kai-yang-bai-cai-recipe
Use the scallops instead of shrimp. At home we don't add sugar or soy and add a bit of milk.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Sha guo. Literally, sand pot.

e: Oops that's the name of the little pots. The dishes all vary in name but a lot of them will have "sha guo" in the name.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 3, 2013

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
You're fine. As a Chinese person, I will tell you that most of our beliefs about food are stupid.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

Any suggestions for what to do with garlic chives? I have a huge bunch and was going to make pancakes with them, but there's enough for at least another dish.

Dumplings or stir fry with scrambled eggs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I just experienced a southern (maybe Fujian?) moon cake. It was the size of a dinner plate and was basically a block of dough, grease, solid bits of pig fat, sugar, nuts, and green onions. My god it was delicious. Excuse while I go die of a heart attack.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

EVG posted:

Bought some pre-packaged deep-fried tofu from the asian grocer. What should I do with this? Toss it in at the end of a stir fry? Toast up and eat as an app with some sweet chili sauce?

I have the following I need to use up - baby bok choi, broccoli, pea pods, bean sprouts, and the tofu. Also have the ubiquitous onions, garlic, ginger that is always around. A tub of picked carrot and daikon I bought as a garnish for another dish and forgot about. And a very wide selection of Asian sauce ingredients (chili bean sauce, fish sauce, soy sauce (light and dark), mirin, shao hsing, oyster sauce, hoisin, black bean sauce, sambal, chili garlic sauce, sweet chili sauce, toasted sesame oil, hot chili oil, shrimp paste, black vinegar, chinese hot mustard, sriracha, 5 spice, red curry, green curry.... jeeze I have a ton of Chinese/Asian stuff. I really should cook more).

I know I could just make a stir fry with some veg and black bean sauce, my normal go-to, and toss the tofu in, but if anyone has a recommendation I'd appreciate it.

I really need to just experiment more I guess, rather than buy a jar of some ingredient for a specific recipe, then stare at it in the fridge now and then.

The tofu is spongy right? they go really well in soup since they soak up all the broth.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

hallo spacedog posted:

There's a Northern Chinese place near my house and they have something crazy delicious on the menu called "shredded pancake stir-fried with (pork/beef/chicken/etc) and vegetables." They serve it and most everything with black/shanxi vinegar on the side.
Does anyone know what this type of dish is called in Chinese? Google isn't helping.

My mom makes that at home but I'm not sure if it has a specific name. It's just for when we have leftovers of cong you bing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_onion_pancake

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

fritz posted:

When I lived in NJ the asian groceries had these packages of what looked to be advertised as sauce for noodles. They were a large bag containing maybe a dozen small baggies inside, each of the smaller bags had about an ounce/25g of some kind of sauce.I found an ebay seller here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281191916448?lpid=82
but does anybody have a link to a more established storefront selling this stuff, or some better search terms? (I haven't been able to find them at the Ranch 99 closest to me, and it's a trek to get to other asian groceries...)

Thanks!

The stuff you linked is dan dan mian, which has like a dozen completely different ways that it can be made. The stuff you linked looks like a variety with ground pork and a thin sauce. There's also a kind that has a thick peanut/sesame based sauce that often also has some spicy/numbing Sichuan flavor to it. Unfortunately all of the different flavors are called "dan dan mian" so it might take some trial and error to find the exact kind you want. I will say that they're all delicious though so have it doesn't hurt to try them all.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

EVG posted:

Thanks for the advice! Actually cooked the noodles separately and put them in. Not sure what noodles I used, just grabbed one of the packages of misc. chinese noodles I had in the cupboard. I think I do have thinner ones, will use those next time.

The broth was dark because of the soy, and also it was actually stock. Didn't realize that when I thawed it from the freezer, but was pleasantly surprised to find SoupJello when I went for leftovers the next day. A bit of a waste for that lovely concentrated stock - teach me to label things in the freezer next time.

My Asian grocer has all of the weird bits of meat (it's in the vietnamese neighborhood so everything you've ever seen as an ingredient for Pho, they gots). I'm particularly intrigued by the pork neck bones. Anything delicious I can make with a pile of those? Pork stock would be the obvious, but I wouldn't know what to do with it (besides Ramen, and that would be like a 3 day undertaking to do right with all of the other things I'd want to add). Or other unusual pork or beef bits I should play with?

Pork trotters are awesome. Chop em and boil them until soft, then stir fry with ginger, garlic, scallions, etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Chinese chicken is almost always bone-in and cut up and dark meat. But you can use whatever you prefer.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I've been using Pearl River since I was a baby, what is a better soy sauce to use?

We've always used Kikkoman. I don't know how legit that is but my parents have been buying it by the gallon ever since they came to the US as poor college students in the 80s.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

telugu murasu posted:

Any tips for making a banging 炒白菜? Is dried chili and Sichuan peppercorn the way to go?

My family cuts the napa into slivers and then fries up some chilis in the oil, tosses in the cabbage, and then adds vinegar to taste. For a non spicy kind they leave the cabbage in bigger pieces and toss into the oil before adding cabbage.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My family boils dumplings for big gatherings and then makes pot stickers with the left overs the next day. My mom uses your exact method for pot stickers except she starts with boiled leftovers and adds less water. Also, try adding some shrimp in with the pork and chives.

Did you dip with just soy? The traditional Beijing dip is straight black vinegar. Though I like a mix of vinegar and soy myself.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Heat up some oil and then toss in the pepper flakes. Now you have chili oil. Add peppercorns if you're feeling extra bold.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Chives, pork, scallions, napa cabbage, and ginger is pretty standard in the north. There are a ton of different varieties though, I don't think there's one that's the official filling of the north. Some other notable combos are beef with leak and lamb with carrots.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Locally available lobster has been stupid cheap the last couple years due to global warming causing an over population. Prices are high outside of the New England area due to transportation costs/price fixing by restaurants. If you're in Maine lobster is 2 dollars a pound and lobstermen are struggling to make a living because the low price for lobster means they can barely recoup their expenses.

tl;dr Go to New England and get cheap lobster.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
My mom is a northerner that has to vinegar with her dumplings, and garlic. She will just eat cloves of raw garlic on the side. My dad is from the south and likes hot sauce and soysauce for dipping. After trying all the different options growing up I've determined that dumplings are best eaten plain with no sauce. Just enjoy the delicate flavors of the filling without those overpowering soy/vinegar/chili flavors.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

squigadoo posted:

The only way to enjoy dumplings is if you get a plate to yourself so you can eat them plain and also dip them in every sauce combination possible. Soy, some chili sauce, some vinegar, all of it mixed together... mmm.

This is also acceptable. My family does pork, chives, and shrimp so they're bursting with flavor already. Dipping in sauce usually overpowers the shrimp.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So this might be a dumb question, but is sesame oil a really strong flavor or did I just buy a weird bottle of it? Even a little splash of it is definitely noticeable, and that was in a dish with dark soy sauce and a bunch of other strong flavors. A lot of recipes are calling for 1-2 tablespoons of it, which seems like it would be pretty overpowering. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong before I add it into any dishes that call for more of it.

Yup that's sesame oil. It's super strong. Also burns easily.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Emushka posted:

any good general recipes for those meat skewers that you see everywhere in the street food grilles in China?

The lamb ones? Just rub cumin, chili powder, and salt on lamb and grill to your preferred doneness.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's called fish flavored because they use that sauce to mask the fishy taste of seafood.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
To be honest, I haven't much either but it's what I've been told growing up. Vinegar and ginger goes with seafood. There are some internet sites that agree though wikipedia doesn't say anything about it.

I will say the traditional dip for crab in China is minced ginger and vinegar. That's basically the taste I think of when I think crabs.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

ascendance posted:

I just bought like 4 packets of zha cai today. Is it crazy to stir fry zha cai with other vegetables?

Stir fry with pork and chili peppers then dump on rice. You may need to wash it first before cooking if if it's really salty.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I imagine you can just slice it up and stir fry with any combination of onions, chili peppers, ginger, garlic, and scallions. Works well with shrimp or squid so I assume it works with octopus as well.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

gret posted:

Maybe you're cooking them for too long? The green leafy part should be wilted but the stem should be nice and crunchy. For a quick and easy way to cook them I usually will just stir fry them with some rough chopped garlic and a few dashes of oyster sauce. It shouldn't cook for more than 2-3 minutes.

You can also toss in some mushrooms if you want. I've heard some people add canned sardines but I've never tried that personally.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I need this kitchen thanks

e: Also I'm noticing that part of the reason I can't toss the wok properly is that my stove is much higher than in that video so the angle is super weird. Yet another reason I need to get a house so I can have a turkeyburner

One downside to stir frying that I don't see mentioned often in this thread is it will leave your entire house smelling for days. I'm Chinese and all our family friends either get a ridiculous powerful range hood when they get their own place or cut down on stir frying a lot.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It just smells like you sprayed vegetable oil and smoke all over your house. My family often takes off our jackets before going into a restaurant so the smell doesn't permeate our clothes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Jeoh posted:

I accidentally bought pork intestines. What the hell do I do with this, besides stuffing them?

Large or small? Deep fry if large.