Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

baking soda
What purpose does this serve exactly? I've never heard of doing that before.

VVVV - ah, cool, good to know.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

As a caveat, I'm gonna mention that I melted a charcoal starter I got at home depot doing something similar.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

my plan is to build an outdoor kitchen for my big green egg and put a turkey burner into the coutertop next to it

Yeah, we have this decent size covered concrete pad next to the garage that I really want to convert into an outdoor kitchen & grilling area. I'd like to build a table with an insert for my egg so I have an actual workspace for grilling and get a wok burner/homebrew burner set up out there too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thanks to you all I went and bought a bunch of hua jiao today and made kung pao for dinner tonight. May not be the best but it's a lot more satisfying than ordering takeout from the Cantonese places around here.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Bad thing is I've built up a tolerance and now I almost never get buzzymouth from Sichuan food anymore. :smith:

I have to eat a lot at once to get buzzymouth anymore. Also it goes away after a few seconds :smith:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think a lot of xinjiang and/or uighur food uses butter?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

noods are just noods to me :shrug:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes and yes. Here's a pretty good rundown and example: https://thewoksoflife.com/2014/06/carrot-ginger-pork-buns/
They are a fair bit of effort and take some practice to assemble right, but they save well so you can be snacking on them all week.

You can use whatever filling you want of course. The char sui pork recipe that gets posted here a lot is pretty solid, and I just made some curried beef buns yesterday actually. I really need to track down a spicy beef & pork filling recipe still, though at this point I might as well just make one myself.

You can also do whole wheat if you want to: https://thewoksoflife.com/2018/01/whole-wheat-mantou/

I shouldn’t read this thread before lunchtime, because now I’m a) hungry as hell and b) craving bao zi

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

From what I understand it doesn't always have tomatoes (the one time I ordered in Japan it did, and the internet has enough examples I know it's not an isolated incident), but it does almost always totally skip the chilies and Sichuan peppercorn and is sweet instead.

what in gently caress

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't like 红油抄手

the gently caress is wrong with you

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

It's the greasiest dumpling.

eh, fair enough

Hauki
May 11, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Few days ago I found myself eating at a Panda Express. They had something called Sichuan Hot Chicken, and it really wasn't half bad.

It actually tasted sichuan-y

i don't believe you

Hauki
May 11, 2010

would dump

Hauki
May 11, 2010

first attempt at hong you chao shou from fuschia dunlop

i’m real slow at this

probably make 80-90 by the end

Hauki
May 11, 2010

final product:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

goodness posted:

Awesome. Tried a bit of the anchovy after seeing this, they are a little chewy but would be good on some rice I bet.

check out nasi lemak and similar

Hauki
May 11, 2010

droll posted:

He has an outdoor wok cooker now and the videos with his Uncle are great.

i extremely want his outdoor kitchen

also his apprentices' videos are hilarious

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Thanks thread, now I'm addicted to Wangs vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opSiomnDEQo

this may be the most oil I've ever seen used in any recipe, holy poo poo.

man, as a mostly white dude that poo poo is wild

i've been digging this dude's videos lately too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmCIhj7yzwmkPEIbip2KSA

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jhet posted:

Absolutely. The erjingtiao have been mostly picked and it looks like I'm getting a ton of seeds. The chi-chien are still getting ripe, but I should have a handful of those to send too just probably not as many.

well, poo poo, if you've got a ton of seeds, I would happily take a stab at growing some here too

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jhet posted:

X-post from the Gardening thread.

Awesome - I realize I forgot to follow up via PM before, but I went ahead and filled out the form now. Thanks for offering to do this!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jhet posted:

X-post from the Gardening thread.

I got these in yesterday, thanks again! Excited to give them a go this spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, I have a plant going but honestly I can't recall which is which now & it hasn't really fruited much yet. I got a couple little peppers off it, but I haven't had a chance to try them. They were starting to dry & darken on the vine, so I picked them while they were still pretty small. There's a number of others now, but I was waiting to see how they ripened. I have 3 or 4 green peppers just coming in now on the other plant, but I forgot to label either of them or lost it transplanting. I've mostly had them indoors because it's been super hot & dry here all season, but I put the bigger one outside recently and it seems to be doing a lot better there despite the temperature swings & aridity.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 18, 2021