Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

kuskus posted:

Here's a PDF converted from iChm on OS X.
Holy poo poo thanks I remember wanting this and being bummed that I missed my chance to save it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

hakimashou posted:

One of the places I legit miss from China is Zhen Gongfu fast food.

http://www.zkungfu.cn/category/restaurant/dinner/

Especially the steamed pork and mushroom patty, this thing

"Fresh oyster mushroom patties rice

The finest pork, supplemented by high-quality mushrooms, is steamed with unique ingredients. The meat is fragrant with the winter (fragrance) mushroom, the scent is enticing, the fragrance is flexible and the taste is excellent."

It was rich and juicy and very tender and almost a little gelatinous, and I've been wondering for a long time, how is it made?

I've tried to make things like that with both Japanese and Chinese recipes, like buta niku no mushimono or googled recipes for "Chinese steamed meatloaf" and they turn out all right but basically taste like a giant dumpling filling that fell out of the skin. If there's a way to make it more like what you describe I'd love to know what it is also.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have a preferred recipe for 门钉肉饼?

I just made the recipe in this video yesterday, looks pretty close? Doubled the recipe, had 3 skillets of them going at once, and my 2 kids and a friend of theirs destroyed 24 of them. I've made a few things from her channel and been pleased with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTZ5lROGUr0

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I've been addicted to black bean Lao Gan Ma for years, but I could never find their chili crisp so I'd buy copycats like Master Sauce which were ok. I finally got some of the real deal as the stock clerk was unpacking a box of it (it must sell fast) and it's so much better, I don't think any other brand had much shallot. It's the toasted onion flavor that makes it. Just had some on a cold leftover baked potato so good.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Maybe someone ITT linked to the Woks of Life recipe for Hong Shao Kao Fu or else I ran into it on my own, either way I wanted to make it yet this summer.
I couldn't find dry gluten cakes/kao fu in stores or online, so I decided to make it.

2 cups powdered gluten (I used Bob's Red Mill since I had it), a big dash of salt, a teaspoon of sugar and about half a teaspoon of instant yeast. Added enough lukewarm water to make a soft dough. Proofed it in a warm place for 90 minutes. Steamed it for 20 minutes. It had doubled in size after proofing and doubled again in the steamer, pushing the top off about while only halfway done. I Let if finish the best I could, but it ended up just a slight bit doughy in the middle since the steamer was open.

I Let it cool for 45 minutes and used it from there like the reconstituted ingredient in their recipe. It had nice big pores inside pretty much like pictures of it show. It blew up even more while I was braising it though, pushing the lid off of the pot I used. I may have to experiment with yeast and sugar quantities or just make less at a time. It was drat tasty at room temp and there's a lot left to eat cold tomorrow, as one dish among several at the table it would have been enough for 8-10 people easily.

This was actually my second try, the first one was just gluten, salt, and water. It steamed up into a nice dense cake of bland seitan without any pores and a very firm chewy texture. I froze that one for some other use.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Mqm9y0sf8

What on earth does she mean by "让别人心痛的宽油"?

Why is the bowl pixelated what is going on in this image?

So does the patchouli or whatever similar plant they're taking leaves from taste minty or what? I'm intrigued.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

fart simpson posted:

we’ve been getting a lot of mega fatty pieces of pork belly for cheap lately (thanks american corvid19 meatpackers for youre service) and basically doing that, rendering the fat and using it to fry everything else for the whole meal. it’s good

I went and looked and the same is true at my local store - they've got pork belly crammed into the shelves deep and high. So now I'm planning to cook Mei Cai Kou Rou. I already have lots of Ya Cai in the foil pouches, is it worth the work to buy dry Mei Cai and soak and rinse it or will the ready-to-use Ya Cai be anywhere near as good?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

I've only ever seen that made with yibin yacai from the pouches in Chengdu.

E: Now I'm not so sure, I don't remember ever seeing meicai before but I don't think I'd be able to tell. Anyway, I would just use yacai.

Yeah it just sounds a lot easier, but I'll keep my eyes open when I'm shopping and get some of the dried greens when I think of it.

My favorite use for Lao Gan Ma - the black bean kind - is putting a lot of it on cold cut up leftover baked potatoes. The black bean variety tastes like sleeping in an old canvas tent smells, in a good way.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I want to make some soup along the lines of the Ching Po Leung Cantonese soup recipe on Woks of Life, so I just went and bought some packets of stuff:

They have no directions and I guess that maybe one is meant to be made sweet and the other savory? The red one has more Astragalus from what I can see. I want to make a soup with pork bones. Any ideas? Worst case I just use one and deal with how it tastes.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

I used to work at a strip-mall place that made their char siu by roasting pork shoulder with a pretty standard marinade/coating, then when cold they'd slice it and heat each order up in a cast-iron skillet with a bunch more marinade/sauce (which also had ketchup and sweet bean sauce added) that would thicken up and almost char when cooked quickly over high heat. It sounds weird but it was so good. I've tried to recreate it but it's never quite right. Now I usually make it more or less the "regular" way because any char siu is good char siu.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Testikles posted:

Thanks for the ideas everybody. I'll look into these snd see what sticks for me. I've started cutting up raw tofu and making some dipping sauces for a light snack or side.

Do you do whole fish or just filets and is it just a matter of laying a few scallions or ginger slices on the fish?

I like whole fish best but often use fillets, and there are lots of ways you can vary it - I normally rub the fish with cooking wine, sesame oil and a little soy, then put julienned ginger, scallions, rehydrated black mushrooms and slivers of fatty pork or bacon on top (the fat adds flavor and texture, and I think it keeps it hot at the table longer). There was a video that said to throw out the liquid in the dish after steaming, I don't know what I do differently but mine is delicious with rice and I'd never discard it. That's dad's portion while everybody else gets more fish.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

how much does a 500g jar of Pixian bean paste go for at a b&m store? I bought a packet on Amazon last time but idk if it's a reasonable price

For the better Pixian kinds around $6 or $7 for a jar that size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Pookah posted:

I bought birds custard powder recently, and it's now just yellow cornflour. The vanilla flavour is almost imperceptible :(

Lol I got burned on a can of that crap a long time ago, now I just get a pack of vanilla jello pudding when I need it for Nanaimo bars or whatever. I probably wouldn't use pudding to deep fry lotus root though.