Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

We made Red Braised Pork tonight, and it was lovely! Very reminiscent of Indonesian Babi Ketjap, but better flavour-wise (I guess from the shaoxing wine). Yesterday we did the fish fragrant pork, which was also very good. Thanks for the recipes, Gravity!

Asian-food-wise, I've mostly done Korean, Indonesian and dutch-chinese (yeah that's avery specific thing and quite different from american-chinese apparently), but after visiting Hong Kong and with all the nice big Chinese supermarkets here in Edinburgh it's fun to start cooking more proper Chinese food :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It's mostly a weird fusion of Indonesian and Chinese that's billed as 'chinese'. I guess this came about since Indonesia used to be a Dutch colony so it's food was already vaguely familiar to the Dutch. When Chinese immigrants arrived, they incorporated this into their own style of cooking and we ended up with a sort of mish-mash.

Some typical dishes include (random recipe links for clarification, they're close enough so you get the gist of the dishes):
Babi Pangang and Babi Ketjap
Foo yong Hai
Bami Goreng

and of course Satay and Sambals in their many variations. Looking back it's actually more Indonesian than Chinese..

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Last night we went out to Chop Chop here in Edinburgh (nice un-westernized chinese, lots of great dumplings). One of the non-dumpling dishes that was put on our table was some form of stir-fried strips of aubergine/eggplant with garlic, sesame and some scallion. Great dish with nicely cooked but still slightly crunchy-on-the-outside eggplant, lovely sauce and a garlicky kick.

I've looked through Fuchsia Dunlop's revolutionairy chinese cookbook (big thank you to everyone who recommended her, by the way!) - she's got a numner of eggplant-based dishes in there, but sadly not the one I'm looking for.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Hahaha, that's typical of her :).

That sounds like a likely candidate - it'd be great if you could type it up!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Cheers! I'll give it a go this week, sounds great :cheers:.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Mons Hubris posted:

Got another Fuchsia Dunlop question. I got Every Grain of Rice recently and am enjoying it very much, but a lot of the recipes call for chili oil, with or without sediment depending on the recipe. I've been using laoganma - does she mean something else?

Look in the back of the book - there's a whole section where she describes all the ingredients she uses and where to get them/what to substitute. The method she uses for making chili oil is in there (no szechuan pepper as I recall, just chilies). I just tend to buy big pots of chili oil at one of the local chinese supermarkets, they all come with a nice layer of sediment.

If the US edition is somehow different and doesn't have that bit in the back (which would be a shame, it's a great description of the ingredients), I'm happy to scan the relevant bit for you and post it.

Fuchsia :allears:

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Made some xinjiang lamb skewers just now - ate a ton of them when I lived in Singapore, and our fave hole-in-the-wall proper Chinese restaurant here in Edinburgh does them really well, but somehow I'd never made them myself before.

Very simple to do and awesomely tasty as I could keep the lamb a lot more pink than you'd normally get - quite close to the ones I ate in the uighur bits of chengdu!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Manly cumin and (szechuan) chili flakes, as that's the key ones you see at hawkers. They often have a bowl of both sitting to dip the skewers in.

I've also added a bit of coriander seeds and some white pepper, as that's what one of the guys i went to often in Singapore did.

Basically:
Tablespoon whole cumin
Tablespoon chili flakes
Couple teaspoons coriander seeds
Teaspoon white pepper
Pinch of coarse sea salt

Grind in a spice grinder

Use 2/3rds of the mixture together with a couple tablespoons of shaoxing wine to marinade your lamb (shoulder, I used 600 grams for 10 or so skewers).

Grill skewers (ideally not too long, leaving the lamb a little pink is much nicer), then coat with the remaining mix.

Based on a mixture of chatting to hawkers and poking about online :)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Fuchsia's always been really good for us, but I do think you're right that her recipes are different from what you'd get in restaurants / on the street - I feel it matches closer to what you'd get at someone's home.

Key illustration there for me is her mapo dofu recipe versus the one I learned at cooking class in chengdu. Hers is awesome and tasty, without msg or chicken powder, but slightly different from the generic restaurant version (interestingly, I did find it closer to the 'original' version we ate at Chen).

The cooking class version is a bit easier to make, and uses copious amounts of msg, chicken powder and salt - and gets really close to what you get in restaurants. My wife prefers that one over fuchsia's version for exactly that reason :)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ooh that looks good - I like their recipe for shui zhu yu, will have to give that a go!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

kru posted:

Pages back but I just moved home to Edinburgh (from Singapore no less!!!) and would like to know where this is?

Hah, that's amazing!

It's noodles & dumplings on South Clerk Street, just across from the Southern. Amazing place doing Northern Chinese food, its been there for two or three years now - their hand pulled noodles for the beef flank soup are proper too.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I know how you feel - It's a year and a half ago since I came back and I still miss the food immensely. I lived near Tanjong Pagar and worked in the CBD, being able to just wander over to Chinatown or Maxwell or People's Park and eat awesome food was so, so good.

Kampong Ah Lee (also on South Clerk Street) has good Malaysian if you want to scratch that laksa/roti canai/satay itch, but sadly no bak kut teh.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Hah, such a small world! It was only a year or so for me (couldn't stay longer as it would have messed up my eligibility for staying in the UK after brexit)

We should meet up one day for a nasi lemak at kampong ah lee or something, reminisce :)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Not quite 门钉肉饼 but in roughly that type of bao zi (I guess it all falls under that category?), I really like fuchsia's 生煎慢头 recipe. Can't find that one online, but this one looks similar, ingredients and process-wise:

https://lets-playdough.com/2017/04/23/shanghai-potsticker-buns-%E7%94%9F%E7%85%8E%E9%A6%92%E5%A4%B4/

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It's teochew so I guess it fits in the thread - made bak kut teh today with a bunch of local pork ribs (from a small farm up in Fife).

Big piles of toasted garlic and white pepper, and a few hours of simmering make for an awesome flavourful bak kut teh

I really enjoy the pure peppery taste of the Singapore version - the darker, more complex malay one is nice too, but it's not quite the same (plus less nostalgia :))

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I'd do that but add a few bits to make it a red braise, as per hong shao rou - bit of caramelised sugar, dark soy (if you want for a deeper sweeter salty touch), light soy, shaoxing wine, ginger, star anise, piece of cassia bark, couple dried chilies should make for a tasty sauce for pork belly.

I'd do it in bite size pieces, rather than one big chunk (blanch beforehand to get rid of some of the scum) and then reduce the sauce down till its nice and sticky.

toplitzin posted:

Which book? I have Land of Plenty.

This one:

Land of Fish and Rice: Recipes from the Culinary Heart of China

It centers around shanghai and is a really good read with solid recipes, like all her books really :)

pim01 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 30, 2019

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That's a really nice version - I love how he uses three types of chili to get the right spice/aroma/redness mixture, something I'll definitely try next time I make this!

(I've always been lightly disappointed with one or more of those aspects whenever I've made la zi ji at home)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Made some bao zi - 香菇素菜包 - nice and tasty and vegetarian.

I do need to get better at pleating them, some have opened during proofing/steaming..

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That sounds tasty, you'd have a char sui samosa-y thing, basically. They might come out a bit thin, as the char sui filling isn't that bulky normally and relies on the bun itself for some heft, while samosas end up using chunks of potato or the like to bulk them out.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

caberham posted:

Yeah so within the last 10 years there's char siu filling in all kinds of different dimsum dough like a pineapple bun, a baked lard crust 蘇, or whatever.

A good char siu bao dough is hard to make though, I have trouble putting it into words but it's more fluffy and a mild texture to it. Honestly though, Cantonese cuisines aren't that good at make doughs in general and have that blander generic taste

My favourite char siu bun-like thing was an awesome giant bao that was baked in a tandoor, in a night market in Taipei. Giant line, but the wait was super worth it. I've made various versions of baked char siu buns since, but never got that awesome fluffy + crust texture right :(

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ooh that's good to know - i always end up distracted by all the other awesome uighur food, so never noticed that thats a thing. Will have to keep an eye out next time!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

fart simpson posted:

Can you guys get haidilao bases outside of China?

Haven't seen them pop up yet in any of the Chinese supermarkets here, bit interesting to keep an eye out for.

I've eaten at Singaporean haidilao outlets a couple times (mainly the one on Orchard road) and while good, the experiences were mainly memorable through all the service touches (while waiting, pulling noodles at the table etc) rather than the quality of the soup bases.

We did bring home some excellent soup bases (proper block of congealed oil rather than powder) from a random supermarket in Chengdu, i should go figure out what the brand was and if we can get them online somewhere.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Green ones are nice!

I've had them go stale when i bought a bulk pack of fairly cheap red szechuan pepper at a randim Chinese supermarket. They started out alright but quickly lost their scent/potency, especially as it took forever to work through them (this happened over a year or so, still took a long time).

Now i just buy smaller, higher quality packs of both red and green and go through them nice and fast so they're always awesome.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Looks like the hai di lao hotpot bases have made it to Edinburgh after all, just ran into them in a supermarket.

They also had this, which intrigues me no end:

Keen to try it soon!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

That's lovely!

What filling did you use?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Nice and classic, excellent :allears:

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Looks awesome and tasty! Hui guo rou :allears:

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Red braised pork (hong shao rou) and maybe steamed pork with preserved vegetables (han shao bai), is what I'd do - both start with par-cooked pork belly.

Fuchsia dunlop-s always very good for red braised pork (here's a version of her recipe on Vice, for some weird reason).

Really I'd just red braise it all and eat half with rice and save half for the next day to stuff in taiwanese steamed buns with cucumber, coriander and chili oil :allears:

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Carillon posted:

I was looking at getting one of Fuchsia Dunlops books, either Every Grain of Rice or The Food of Sichuan, does anyone have experience with either one and have a recommendation one over the other?

I love all her books, but like The Food of Sichuan (or Sichuan Cookery, as the initial uk version was called) best. It's her first book, and hence was a bit more raw and - i guess - real? It's super szechuan focussed and that's the charm of it. Lots of local colour, lots of slightly fiddly recipes that taste amazing (and require sourcing the actual ingredients, rather than bland western supermarkt substitutions). We flew to Chengdu and traveled around szechuan for a couple of weeks just to eat, mostly because of this book.

I like Every Grain Of Rice too, and it's probably a more versatile book, covering a greater range of chinese cuisines. It feels in general quite a lot more mature, with better trialled and easier to follow recipes. But i cook way more from Sichuan Cookery, its just more fun :).

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It happens in magazines and other places that have Chinese-ish recipes aimed at people who will just use stuff from their local supermarket (which is likely to have mirin but not shaoxing).

Why these don't just say 'use cheap brandy' instead, i dunno. It's canonical as a substitute - fuchsia uses it as that - but maybe it's scary because it's alcohol?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

My fave hand pulled noodles place is still closed, so made some beef flank noodles (with shamefully non-hand-pulled soba instead of the real thing)

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

I cut silken tofu for mapo dofu on my hand for exactly that reason. Then the careful stirring/folding after putting them in still destroys half the cubes anyway. One day!

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ailumao posted:

it is tradition

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Brussels sprouts are great that way, toss in some chopped up cashews for crunch and extra flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

It sounds a bit like Indonesian ketjap/kecap - maybe use it like that? (babi kecap always flashes me back to childhood 'chinese' takeout :allears:. This recipe seems okay)