Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Would I be mistaken if I were to remember that it wants you to basically take a specific route through the warehouse for each package which you have no way at all of knowing beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Yeah, it drops more debris in your way after every crate you're returned to Phil, and eventually everything except the longest and most convoluted route possible is blocked. Naturally, that means you have to haul rear end if you want to get that last crate within the time limit, and you absolutely can't make even the slightest mistake. gently caress that mission.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It could have been worse, it could have been on PSP.

Oh wait!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Vice City Stories also has that one mission where you control a Domestabot in first person mode and try to steal something from some guy's house within a time limit. Ughh.

I liked Vice City Stories for what it was, but goddamn some of those missions were terrible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Funnily enough I aced that moonshine mission on PSP and completely hated it on PS2, although I suspect having the practice from the PS2 version helped.

The trick about Supply Lines is that your fuel meter is just a disguised timer on PS2 and only actually measures fuel consumption on PC (and I think the 360 release?). You have to gun it on PS2, on PC you can take your time and fly smartly.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Yeah, it drops more debris in your way after every crate you're returned to Phil, and eventually everything except the longest and most convoluted route possible is blocked. Naturally, that means you have to haul rear end if you want to get that last crate within the time limit, and you absolutely can't make even the slightest mistake. gently caress that mission.

Both the moonshine mission and the one where you have to pick up moving vehicles with a magnet in a helicopter with a time limit were frustrating as hell.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN, CJ :byodood:

If we're talking about lovely GTA missions, the early storyline mission in Vice City Stories where you're saving Phil's moonshine from a burning warehouse takes the cake for me.

Gimmick vehicle (forklift) with lovely controls? Check!
Bullshit obstacles you get stuck on? Check!
Fixed camera angle that makes the controls and avoiding obstacles even more annoying? Check!
Overly strict time limit that doesn't let you get used to the controls and camera? Check!

I failed that poo poo so many times. gently caress your stupid moonshine, Phil.

The only saving grace for that mission was that it was a pre-acheivements and pre-online leaderboards time so there was no reason to ever go back and do it again, and you didn't have to worry about doing it the right way.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

titties posted:

I'm down to about 9 story missions left on the PS3 version. I'm still locked out of the Vanilla Unicorn even though the patch was supposed to fix it. Ever since (late game) Trevor took it as a safehouse, every single door has been locked. If I do manage to switch to Trevor while he's inside the club, everyone is hostile and I get beaten to death almost instantly.

I've tried all the character-switching / meet up at the door tricks that I found online that are supposed to help, but I still can't get in. Does anyone else have any experience or insight they could lay on me?

This was fixed in the second patch.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Liberty City Stories' final mission takes the cake for me. There's one particular enemy behind a crate that is basically invincible because of where he's located, and the only way to take him out is to run straight out into the open and pray that you can somehow get a shot off as he's wrecking your health.

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Yeah, there are plenty hard as balls missions from LCS and VCS, but I feel like true die-hard fans could eventually pass them with ease. I wish there was even one mission in gta5 that was as hard as Death Row from Vice City.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can't even remember Death Row. Was reading up on wikia and still couldn't remember doing that. Weird.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think there are plenty of GTAV missions that would be seen just as difficult if checkpoints didn't make things more convenient.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Yeah, there are plenty hard as balls missions from LCS and VCS, but I feel like true die-hard fans could eventually pass them with ease. I wish there was even one mission in gta5 that was as hard as Death Row from Vice City.
Thing is, Death Row had a trick to it which made it a lot easier. Getting to Lance was still a bit hard, but once I left the junkyard I went RIGHT straight away and found a nook, and hid behind the wall while all the cars ground themselves silly against it trying to get at you until they blew up.

Then the rest is easy.

Not as much as a pain in the arse as doing that RC helicopter thing with KBAM.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If I remember correctly I stocked up on ammo and destroyed them at the exit of the junkyard, though that was the PC version which might have made things easier for me.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I heard something about GFWL being canned. Does this mean GTAIV on Steam won't work anymore? Because I am trying to play it and it doesn't seem to be working.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

fuckpot posted:

So I heard something about GFWL being canned. Does this mean GTAIV on Steam won't work anymore? Because I am trying to play it and it doesn't seem to be working.

It's working fine for me.
Or at least it did earlier today when I played...

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The supposed GFWL shutdown isn't coming until next summer. What you're experiencing is probably just its usual shittiness.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
EFLC seems to work okay but I can't seem to get anything to load up beyond the Social Club sign in for just the original game. I tried both online and offline.

Oh well, it was just for a nostalgia after playing the vastly superior GTA V anyway.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Alright mush, I'm going to save your Vera mate!

I disliked that mission, mostly due to bad memories of a glitch where upon getting to Lance, he'd fall through the floor and die. On that sort of theme, I'd probably prefer the one from IV where you rescue Roman (if it were not for Niko's small bank of "threatening phrases" for him to shout every few seconds).

Any Vice City mission involving Lance as your "backup" was irritating to me actually. He would barely contribute anything and was flimsy. He was more of a liability than Hilary! Philip Michael Thomas helped make up for it though.

"Ooh, fits perfectly!"
"Bit tight around the crotch though."
"Oh yeah, yeah, mine too, mine too..."

Reive
May 21, 2009

So I got in touch with the person who had this to make it available again, it's a recording from a goon server on an old version of SA:MP.
Game type Smear the Queer, one person is chosen and can only run or drive while everyone else is trying to kill them, the player here manages to do it insanely well, while Mona Lisa Overdrive from the Matrix Reloaded highway scene is playing, thus epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zorBRIQyZL0

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive always preferred OJ Chase over StQ. MTA has a bunch of cops vs robbers servers, but theyre all rpg-ish and not as enjoyable to me.

Machismo
Mar 29, 2007

I'm a rapist! Who cares if there's no evidence, I'm guilty until innocent!
So I can manipulate stocks by blowing things up? How can I drive Tinkle Telecom up? Attack Whiz Wireless? How do I do that?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

San Andreas is coming to mobile devices in December!

Rockstar Newswire posted:

Before GTAV took us to the sun-bleached sidewalks and humming concrete freeways of present-day Los Santos and beyond, there was Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the biggest GTA of the PS2 era. Now, head back to the early 90s with CJ and the Grove Street Families when Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas comes to mobile devices next month.

Encompassing Los Santos, San Fierro, Las Venturas and everything in between, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas has been upgraded for its mobile release. Newly remastered graphics including dynamic and detailed shadows, greater draw distance, an enriched color palette, plus enhanced character and car models make this the best-looking version of San Andreas yet.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas also features brand new touch controls including contextual control options to display buttons only when you need them and three different control schemes for driving and maneuvering, as well as a reworked checkpoint system for easier progression. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for mobile also comes equipped with full controller support, including Made for iOS controller capability on iOS7. It will be available for select iOS, Android, Amazon Kindle and Windows Mobile devices. Stay tuned for more details in the weeks ahead.

That's a preeeeeeeeetty huge open world game to put on phones and tablets, but I guess if they've already done GTA3 and Vice City for mobile, they can do this one somehow too.

I probably won't buy this one just like I didn't buy GTA3 or Vice City for mobile because I don't want to play those games with touch controls, but it's still very impressive that they're able to get the game on these devices.

It does have controller support, though, so playing a remastered version of the game on a tablet with a controller would be pretty awesome.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 26, 2013

Otik
Apr 6, 2005

Psycho log baby

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

San Andreas is coming to mobile devices in December!

That's a preeeeeeeeetty huge open world game to put on phones and tablets, but I guess if they've already done GTA3 and Vice City for mobile, they can do this one somehow too.

I probably won't buy this one just like I didn't buy GTA3 or Vice City for mobile because I don't want to play those games with touch controls, but it's still very impressive that they're able to get the game on these devices.

It does have controller support, though, so playing a remastered version of the game on a tablet with a controller would be pretty awesome.

Ooooh yeah. On Windows Mobile Phone, too!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It was a ridiculously huge open world just for PS2. Fraction of the amount of memory available to modern mobile gadgets.

But yeah, I bought Vice City for nostalgia, but find it virtually unplayable. Just less trouble to take a Go or Vita with me if I want to play on transit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Yeah the mobile ports of GTA games so far are only playable when you have a usb/bluetooth game controller of some sort to use with your phone or tablet.

They should really put out GTA 1 and GTA 2 (and the london expansion) for mobile devices at some point, the 2.5 d design would work well, even with onscreen buttons.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
(I'm assuming there's not a separate GTA 4 thread anywhere-- apologies if there is and this is in the wrong place!)

I just impulse-bought GTA IV since it was on-sale on Steam, partly because I fondly remember hurtling around a weird digital simulacrum of New York City at friends' houses, and partly because I just played through Saints Row III and IV and am in the middle of Sleeping Dogs, so I've been interested in how cities are represented in open world games. Is there some way to just unlock the whole city to gently caress around in so I can poke around and explore without having to sit through the whole tedious storyline? Or import an endgame save? Or something? I don't really have time to play yet another long single player campaign right now, and I tend to hate Rockstar's writing anyway, but I still want to go exploring or whatever.

This probably sounds really stupid, I know. But I've been interested in open worlds lately! :v:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you want to see the whole city at once, I'm sure end-game save files are floating around on the internet and they should work if you drop them into the appropriate folder. For what it's worth, the DLCs unlock the entire city from the start.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Or you could try the simple native trainer, which has an option for unlocking the whole city.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have a question I hope it's okay to ask here.

I played a fair bit of GTA this year and due to some reading on the forums here and there, I'm playing Bully again for the first time in years. Is there a Bully/general Rockstar thread? I want to go on about the new classes (I played the PS2 one before, playing the 360 one now).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is probably the best thread for that

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I played Bully back on the ps2 and loved it. It actually gave me an appreciation for rockstar, enough that I eventually went back and picked up San Andreas for the first time.

I picked up Bully on 360 during a sale a few month's back, it's been burning a hole in my hard drive but I'll probably play it once I block out some time.

In my mind, Bully and Red Dead Redemption are the two best examples of what Rockstar can achieve, GTA be damned.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You know what blows? Trying to get your near-complete GTA IV save to load on a new computer.

Followed a bunch of different guides and nothing seems to work.

I might just YouTube it and play the DLC. Just a touch frustrating after 30 hours. Finally got a computer that can really do it justice.

edit: holy poo poo it finally worked!

I did it by copying the data inside the old original folder into the newly created one.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 20, 2014

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

teethgrinder posted:

You know what blows? Trying to get your near-complete GTA IV save to load on a new computer.

Followed a bunch of different guides and nothing seems to work.

I might just YouTube it and play the DLC. Just a touch frustrating after 30 hours. Finally got a computer that can really do it justice.

edit: holy poo poo it finally worked!

I did it by copying the data inside the old original folder into the newly created one.

Honestly? Just get the Episodes from Liberty City, load up the Ballad of Gay Tony and never look back.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I know that's what I should do, but I'm so close.

Sidenote, GTA IV scales surprisingly well to modern PCs. That said, I had to run it on the shittiest settings prior, so maybe it's just relative.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I can't get over how weird GTA 2 was. It was set in a 1920's-inspired cyberpunk future and uses claymation for all the characters.

What I'm saying is that GTA 2 deserves a remake.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 17, 2014

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

teethgrinder posted:

Sidenote, GTA IV scales surprisingly well to modern PCs. That said, I had to run it on the shittiest settings prior, so maybe it's just relative.

Year: 2014...

And I still don't agree with that statement.

I can't wait for them to just do the drat PC announcement.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Scorched Spitz posted:

I usually go for the Things to Do in San Andreas mod. It adds some cut content and switches some details around to make a little more sense. For example, there's a mission where you had to steal your car back from the impound lot.

I've tried really hard to get this mod to work but am having the same trouble this guy did. I'm running it through steam, tried turning off read-only for the folders, run the install as administrator, downgraded to 1.0, and still can't get the thing to work. Has anyone had success with this on the steam version? Can you share your magics with me?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Dave Mustard posted:

Year: 2014...

And I still don't agree with that statement.

I can't wait for them to just do the drat PC announcement.
It runs really well for me nowadays, but I was more referring to how good it looks unmodded.

Never mind the latest Icenhancer stuff: http://icelaglace.com/

Absurd.

Hopefully they get GTA V right the first time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I am a big dummy who has no idea how to use even cosmetic mods for games. I've been having a blast with San Andreas
(it is mindblowing how ambitious that game was) but it could use a graphics tweak. Could someone link me to A. The best graphical mod for a mid range computer and B. A guide, even just a basic one, for how to implement the mod. Apologies if this has already been covered.

• Locked thread