Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

GTA4 certainly could have been optimized better, but they shot themselves in the foot by including those really high detail options. Most people instantly get angry when they can't run the highest settings on their hardware. PC gamers have no right to bitch about it though, they did something that most game companies don't even bother with, and that is include those huge detail increases versus just porting it over. The PC settings to be equivalent to the console was something like, medium and 20 for distances, consoles did not include the shadow settings. Of course, they still missed antialiasing support and SLI/Crossfire, both of which are fairly huge for PC. I really hope that they fix those issues in the next version and still include all the detail again, even if it can't be used for a few years. GTA games have always been something I jump into years after release and gently caress around in, having more detail as I upgrade is always nice.

Those actor descriptions sound hilarious though, and they are probably going to receive a ton of free press for the release with the anger this causes with parents. I really want to see more destructive environments in the next one, combined with Euphoria. Something like the destruction available in Red Faction or Bad Company 2 in a city setting. And hopefully a story that takes the insanity of how the game is played into account of how people behave. I thought Gay Tony was really good on this front, just non-stop over the top missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Geight posted:

Messing with vehicle attributes, you say? There's a whole slew of these and they never cease to amuse me, the euphoria engine is silly enough on its own, but when you start messing with numbers it becomes hilarious.

I've edited my handling files so that a few select cars drive at insane speeds and increased the mass of them to basically plow through anything. Hitting a line of cars at 200+ mph and throwing them 100 feet is pretty hilarious with tons of explosions. I've also edited the taxis and cop cars to take something like 5x the damage, so even a lite tap crushes them down. Now if only I could figure out the setting that causes you not to be ejected, the APC won't eject you, but basically any other vehicle will.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Was that icy mod ever updated to be used with the Steam version? It's the only thing holding me back from playing it. Got it during that big steam sale.

Other than the sky color changing issue, TBOGT version works fine for me. I also have a bunch of upgraded textures and custom cars all in the steam version.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

First time through, I killed Dwayne because I hadn't realized that I could go kill Playboy and take his poo poo. It felt completely unsatisfying to just go in his apartment and shotgun him without a fight.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

What the hell? I thought this was going to be about retirement and they start up with this action bullshit.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

simosimo posted:

I put icenhancer on EFLC ages ago, I reinstalled today on steam, and it's still installed :stare: :stare:. How do I get rid of this stupid mod. Even revalidated my files (they didn't re-download)

You'll probably want to download the mod and take a look at the files that it installs. The main files that enable the mod are not replacements for original files, so validating the install won't do anything. Those being the d3d9.dll and the various ice files in the main directory. There are a ton of shader files though, which may affect the game if you don't remove them also.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

bobzmuda posted:

Agreed. Biking was just the right speed to really explore the city. Also need to be able to listen to the radio stations while biking. I would probably spend a ton of time just slowly exploring and listening to the radio n

Hell yes, headphones for your cellphone/mp3 player. That would be great.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cage posted:

Sure the EPM series doesnt look as good on the steam install but it does still work, there is a seperate install for 1.0.7.0. However there are other graphics mods that work fine with that version, they just might not do as much as EPM does. (Which if you ask me just makes it too bloomy and washed out)

Yeah, Icehancer doesn't look good if you are going indoors or playing the storyline because of the stupid amounts of bloom. It looks great for general fuckery and cop killing. I haven't bothered with other ones, instead I just modded car models, handling, textures and weapons.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

get out posted:

Anything else I should use other than the Ultimate Vehicle Pack?

Find the ones that you enjoy and install them individually. I like http://www.gta4-mods.com/ but I'm sure there are a bunch of other big sites.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Rockstar Doesn't really need christmas sales. They could release their game on 9/11 and it will still sell like hotcakes.

It is on a Tuesday this year, we should hope for the best.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

What is going on with those semi tires?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That mission made me stop playing for way too long, the controls for the helicopters in IV and TBoGT were just awful. I don't blame Yusuf for that though :unsmith:

Helicopters are the only thing I used my xbox pad for. (PC) I never had an issue flying those though and that mission and any mission with that helicopter was awesome. That thing is just amazing in general. You can use it to start a 6 star chase really quickly, then fly up on top of a building downtown, where the other npc helis have a hard time flying. Then you can bombard the police on the street and fly off whenever you feel like it.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

When this came out, I ran it on an overclocked dual-core and 8800gt at the Xbox 360 equivalent settings. Similar to this.
The systems in the past few posts should easily run the game pretty much maxed out.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

My only worry is the issues I've heard with GFWL saves disappearing or getting corrupted or whatever. I have a copy of the default game folder floating around on one of my externals, not sure which, but its there. Will I need to do any manual updates for RGSC?

Remove the files you installed for icehancer. It is a pain, but the quickest method. Either check the zip that it came in or download it again. Had to do this a few times myself.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I don't remember it overwriting anything when I last used it. If it is on steam, you should just be able to delete them and verify the game to get those missing files.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

89 posted:

New pics up. One thing though....are these the main characters from GTA3, GTA: VC, and GTA: SA in the same screenshot?

Those are from GTA5 and it is the 3 playable characters.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514948

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Changing taxis to take 5x damage is pretty hilarious. Minor accidents will result in fire and hitting them at speed will make them explode. This results in chaos as lines of traffic begin to explode because some one had a minor accident with a taxi. For extra hilarity, make your preferred car take no damage and increase the mass. This allows you to plow through traffic and will send cars flying blocks away.

Here are the handling.dat lines that I use for Taxi and Turismo. The TAXI2 vehicle can also use the same line. And Turismo is my go to car for screwing around due to the dealership near the TBOGT home.

TAXI 19.0 5.0 85 0.0 0.0 -0.12 0.0 5 0.15 1.0 335.0 0.2 0.65 0.7 35.0 1.2 0.95 14.5 0.15 0.48 1.5 0.9 0.9 0.14 -0.18 0.0 0.5 6.0 6.0 6.0 7.5 0.0 25000 440000 0 0
TURISMO 17000.0 12.5 85 0.0 -0.1 -0.18 0.40 5 0.55 1.0 460.0 1.2 0.70 0.7 30.0 2.10 1.10 15.0 0.12 0.47 2.0 1.5 1.8 0.10 -0.10 0.0 0.5 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.2 0.0 100000 440010 1 1

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 22, 2013

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The graphics are awesome. Is this really seven year old hardware?

Yes, it is the engine that had been used this entire generation. The longer a console is around, the more tricks and hacks can be implemented to take advantage of hardware. Improving something like an AI routine could free up resources that then gets spent physics, for example.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

ghableska posted:

I bought the standalone version of GTA IV back when it came out on Steam, before any of the DLC had been released. But looking at the store page, Steam says that I already own the GTA IV Complete Edition, which includes Episodes from Liberty City.

Is it because they don't sell it without the DLC anymore? I bought them separately, so starting the DLC is a seperate game entirely within Steam.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

My guess is that it will be similar to the Max Payne 3 multiplayer. I am very excited for the PC release and have since gotten rid of my ps3 after beating the campaign twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Skuto posted:

Are there some recommended mods for the PC version of GTA4? I've never been through the story, so it shouldn't butcher cutscenes. Mostly looking for bugfixes and whatnot, and graphical enhancements that don't break anything else/slow the game to a crawl.

As far as I remember, all the graphics mods can or will break things. Particularly the cut scenes. Maybe the texture mods won't be to bad, but could affect performance.

Save the mods for after the story.

• Locked thread