Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Steam is selling all the classic GTA games up to San Andreas for about $7.49 today. :signings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Saint's Row did the clothing right. You get a menu that shows what the clothes would like on your character without any stupid changing animations. I pretty much wore one or two outfits in San Andreas because of that slow animation.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Hot drat, I have every GTA game now. Hopefully GTA4 will run decently on my rig. I thought the game was okay, not as fun or crazy as past GTAs, but it is fun in its own right.

Is the PC port GTA4 still lovely and loaded with crappy programs still?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It'd be really cool to set the game in a bit city, LA or SF or Miami but have more than one time period in the same setting.

So for the first half of the game you might be doing late 70s/early 80s Starsky & Hutch or Miami Vice type stuff but then halfway through the game moves to the modern day so the streets are the same but the cars, pedestrians and shops are different. Unlikely I know given the problems that would cause for art/audio assets but it'd be a great gimmick.

Driver: Parallel Lines does this. Don't know if the game is any good, but you can get on Gog.com.

Also, how's Mafia 2? It came free with my new videocard.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

As a sandboxy, go crazy-nuts game, GTAIV doesn't quite make the mark.
As a New York driving simulator, it's fantastic. I just love cruising around Liberty City with the ambient music radio station playing the in background.

This game does really need a quad-core and a beefy graphics card for the best graphics, but it does seem to run okay on my rig with a dual-core Athlon and a Radeon HD4670 on medium settings.

Love how well-detailed the cars are and how close they resemble their real-world counter-parts.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think SA's real story is a bit postmodern: CJ runs all the way to Liberty City to get away from his problems but then comes back, then has to leave again and can't explain why he has to bolt across the country when his own state offered a lot for him. It's an American Bildungsroman that uses a state instead of a country to show growth. Keep in mind that CJ, despite leaving his place of birth, seems shocked when he gets outside of Los Santos and by the time he experiences two cities is now essentially a millionaire/government contractor who really doesn't know his own strengths.

Okay, the plot is farfetched, but it does make a point that GTA 3 and VC couldn't: the growth of a character instead of the completion of a phase in their lives. Even Vercetti doesn't change that much: he just seeks revenge and fortune. CJ, at the least, reveals that he could have been a lot more than the guy who went from Los Santos to Liberty City and only found change when he stepped outside of the hood.

Agreed, the story of SA wasn't just about being a gangbanger, it was more of a story about life's unexpected turns and finding your place in life, while bailing out of airplanes dressed only in boxers.

San Andreas would have made a good road trip movie. Jerusalem did a pretty good LP of it that basically turned it into a novel. Check it out here.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

GTA3 was a fun game, but my main problem with it was the fact that when you finish almost all of the missions, you end up pissing off almost every gang and can't go anywhere without getting shot at.

It's a good thing they toned down the gangs in the later games. I think in Vice City only one gang will become hostile to you and in San Andreas enemy gangs don't attack you right away unless you are wearing green or shoot first.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The only radio station I really listened to in GTA4 was The Journey, I found it the least obnoxious to listen to while driving around and the borderline-psychotic computer DJ reminded me of GLADOS from Portal.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 24, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The only good radio station in GTAIII was Flash FM. It was nothing but music from Scarface. :colbert:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Doppelganger posted:

Does anyone else compulsively run over people who ride Faggios? I don't have anything against scooters in real life, but when it comes to GTA, riding one in my presence means you're a goner.

I too, cannot resist the urge to slam into someone riding a bike in any of the games, it's just so hilarious to hit them and see the riders go flying.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Give me the wackiness of the SR series with GTA4's driving physics and I'd be a happy man. The driving physics in the SR series is just too boring for me. No nuance. The cars all felt the same. It felt really boring coming to SR2 from GTA4, driving-wise.

The cars in SR2 pretty much handled like the cars from GTA3 with the perfect handling cheat on, on steroids. Way too twitchy.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

Well, I ran over my first person last night. After much effort to not run anyone over, I was involved in a chase mission and ended up laying waste to a bum crouching on the sidewalk trying to make a sharp turn in a taxi.

If you're not driving on the sidewalk running over everybody in an attempt to bypass the annoying traffic in order to get where you need to go, then you are doing it wrong. :colbert:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

The best part about the "ridiculous vehicle into the Grand Canyon" scenario is that in a GTA game, as long as you're in a vehicle you never die. So you'd hold on to that skateboard or motorcycle or horse all the way to the bottom, and once you hit you'd walk away unscathed. For all the realism they're adding to the GTA games, I'm glad that cheating death in impossible ways is still in.

Of course, after you made it to the bottom you'd probably have to kill yourself or load a saved game anyway, but still.

Unless of course, the game is using GTA4's psyhics, in that case, you'll probably fly out of the windshield once the car lands. I wonder how crumpled the car would look with GTA4's damage system.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

So, what's everyone's favorite car in GTA4? I'm partial to the Sabre GT. It's semi-common, tough enough to survive crashes, and has a sweet exhaust note to boot.

I also like the Blista Compact.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Der Luftwaffle posted:

My favorite was the one that looked like a Chrysler 300M. I'm terrible at driving and that car had the best balance of speed, durability and handling to me. Plus the black ones paired with a suit were the perfect look for a hitman :c00l:

That would be the PMP600.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I use GTA4 as a benchmarking tool, since no matter how beastly your computer is, it's still gonna run GTA4 like poo poo. :v:

I do like the car handling and damage modeling of GTA4 and hope they will keep it in GTAV. Maybe tighten up the controls though, the best word to describe GTA4 is "sluggish."

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 25, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the PS2 versions of the GTAIII era games. The PC ports always felt janky to me despite the better graphics.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

simosimo posted:

Giving some love for the car damage in 4 too. No idea why, but I love good car damage in games. Cars are such soda cans, Gta4 was probably the first game to showcase this, outside of a 'demolition racer'. I spent ages launching cars off that tall cliff near that girlfriends house (the drop, leads you near to brucies garage) just to see the great crushing damages.

The runner up is the game MAFIA, which featured car model morphing rather than pieces of the car model falling off.

There's a video kicking around of the cry engine 3 (I think) of some truck purposely crashing. It's a tech demo but it looks good.

I hope 5 is gonna have the same, if not better damage physics. I like when cars do many rolls, they just shed their parts and end up like paper mâché :)

Don't forgot Carmageddon 2, which had a cruder version of GTA4's deforming cars. It's real impressive for a game made in 1998 though. Cars could get bent into a croissant shape, get flattened, or even get split in half.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 26, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I am seriously debating if I should just buy the PS3 version now or wait for the inevitable PC port since I have a pretty beefy computer, but I could play the PS3 version in the living room on the big screen HDTV. I wasn't too interested in the game since GTAIV was a bit of a disappointment but after hearing the praise the game is getting and all the cool stuff that they added I seriously want this game now. I guess there's nothing wrong with double dipping. :shepspends:

Do you have to take your friends out bowling in this game? Having to do that in GTAIV was annoying as poo poo. The cars that drove with banana peels for tires didn't help either.

Vice City will always be my favorite in the series just because it takes place in the 80s, aka the Best Decade ever.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Took the plunge and brought the PS3 version. Holy poo poo this game is amazing. I see that Rockstar learned from their mistakes in GTA4. The missions are way much more fun this time around. Both Franklin's and Michael's missions have been pretty crazy so far, can't wait to see how Trevor's plays out because holy poo poo this game is insane.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Serperoth posted:

San Andreas is pretty great, and has everything you want from it. Customization, there's a whole lot to do in free roam, and the cutscenes are much less annoying.
I used to like Vice City more, but after playing a whole lot of San Andreas, I realize it's the better game. For what it's worth, I never did finish IV. :v:

Vice City I think had better atmosphere and soundtrack but I like 80s stuff in general so I might be biased, but San Andreas definitely is a much better game.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Either they're taking their time with the PC port to ensure it's not a buggy unoptimized mess like GTA4 was or decided that it's not worth porting to PC, explains why Red Dead Redemption hasn't come out for PC yet and why I still have to keep my 360 around for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Finally they announce a PC release, I may need to upgrade my PC again though. :sigh:

• Locked thread