Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Polo-Rican posted:

The best Grand Theft Auto video of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drp9o4E7G7U

Actually, no, it's that video where the guys jumps the quad bike off the mountain only to, immediately and without warning, be crashed into by a passing crop duster. Unfortunately I can't find it.

The friction thing has been around since GTA3. Modding the handling.cfg to make taxis spazz out and launch a mile straight up into the air was glorious, mainly because the AI drove the cars around normally until you nudged them gently. Some areas of the game had a lot of taxis, so you could nudge one and send it careening into the next, setting off a chain reaction of skyrocketing taxis, which, half a minute later, would rain down from the sky and explode violently all over the place, taking pedestrians and other cars with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Joink posted:

FYI Tomorrow April 8th GTA4 will be $5.00 at direct2drive.com

Not seeing it, it's still $20. Any ideas?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I convinced my friend to pick up the complete edition on D2D and got one for myself as well, even though I have a boxed copy of GTA IV. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet (and I'm still running XP), but my friend is having trouble with it on Win7-64, the installer says it needs an... XP service pack? Anybody know what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Figured it out, compatibility mode was the solution.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 12, 2011

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

gently caress, why did I get the D2D version of the Complete Pack when I could have had it on Steam instead? :(

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lurchibles posted:

You know what to do... It's time to rebuy! :D

I already owned a boxed GTAIV, too. :suicide:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

All those people complaining about driving in GTAIV, you do realise that it was significantly improved in an early patch that came out years ago, right?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

davebo posted:

I can't believe this keeps coming up but I'll say it again. Not liking the direction Rockstar went with vehicle physics doesn't mean we can't adapt and win every race, it just means we don't LIKE it as much as arcade style driving.

And the patch I mentioned made the driving pretty much exactly like the earlier games.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I loaded up GTA IV to finally finish it, and for some reason the sound is all fuzzy and crackly now. Anybody know what might be causing this? I've tried googling to no avail.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dotcom656 posted:

Does anyone know of any good car replacement packs for GTA IV? About a year ago I went through modding tons of cars in game and ended up breaking something horribly. I'd rather not repeat that experience and just use one large car pack.

I'm pretty sure you'll still have to install each car manually.

I wish they'd start making GTA more moddable. It's always been a pain in the rear end, too easy to gently caress up an entire install, because most things are kept in a Chinese box system of archives and backups end up being several gigabytes.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo it is difficult to find a sweet spot for ENBSeries on GTA IV.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Wish I could get ENBSeries working as well as those guys on GTAForums... :(

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tewratomeh posted:

I refuse to believe that it's possible for GTA IV to look that good (and I assume play that well) on a PC.

Look that good, yes, but play well? Not unless you have a high-end rig, preferably with lots of video RAM. Mainly it's because the engine doesn't support anti-aliasing natively, so it's done by upping (doubling) the resolution, applying a blur filter and downscaling the image. However, the performance hit isn't anywhere near as great if you disable AA and just use ambient occlusion, skylighting and so on, and the game will still look much better than vanilla.

My problem is currently that the sun is a big, white square, and I haven't found a fix for it yet.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

New favourite GTA pastime: Going to an area with a lot of traffic and using the Simple Native Trainer to spawn at least ten combat peds armed with grenades. Even better with a mod that increases explosive force.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Does anyone have a GTA IV savegame around the start of the third island?

Tewratomeh posted:

I'm not sure how their car damage system works, but it does seem to use actual deformation and not just preset model swaps. I recall one or two times when doing the swingset trick I'd end up with a car that was technically still running but I couldn't drive it because the car frame was bent to the point where it was useless.

I think there's also a mod somewhere that messes with the settings to let you smash up the cars even worse.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks. That should be useful.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is there any way to fix the horrible building and texture pop-in? I tried lowering the view and detail distance to no avail, I'll still often be turning down a road that has gray soup for a texture. Running a E8400 with 4GB RAM and a 5750 1GB.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Bobnumerotres posted:

I've been wondering if the expansion packs are just as unoptimized?

In my experience they run much better for whatever reason.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've encountered disappearing sounds in TLAD, like I'll be on a rampage and suddenly won't have gunfire or explosions. Anybody know what might be causing this? I didn't have that problem with GTAIV. Running an Audigy2 with most recent drivers if it matters.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Biodome posted:

it still has that same physics engine that I didn't like from 4.

:stare:

Dude, just... what the hell?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread, even though it's not really GTA-related, but why the gently caress did they can RDR for PC? That's awful. :(

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sir Xiphos posted:

As a console gamer, this makes me weep.

That's only fair. Now you know the pain of PC-owners on every GTA release day.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm amazed at how many times this exact conversation can play out in the same thread with mostly the same people, but curiously lacking Bill Murray throughout.

This just in! GTAForums has learned through insider sources and tabloid horoscopes that Bill Murray will be in GTAV, possibly as a plot-critical character in blackface or a comically large-headed bear costume. Also the game play out across all the terrestrial planets and feature a carefully modelled digestive system for the player. Bigfoot won't be in the main game and neither will unicycles, but both are planned to play a major role in a future DLC.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hiding out on a roof and spawning hostile NPCs with grenades and RPGs on the street below with the trainer is highly amusing, especially around a lot of cars.

On that note, I hope they fix the cheating in GTAV's multiplayer, even if a game being dominated by a fast, indestructible, rocket-launching car is pretty funny. Also, dedicated servers, please.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

simosimo posted:

Are there any dynamic mods for GTA4/EFLC ? Like, ones that take in the city. Like taxi missions, minus Roman's stupid poo poo, AND LETTING US DO IT ANY TIME, not just the first third of the game.

Or perhaps a pedestrian riot mod, like the GTA3 cheat (VC and SA versions of the cheat sucked). I love watching the AI fight, it's so good.

I don't have links 'cause I'm on my phone, but yes, both exist. There's one that adds different side missions and a riot mod (which I seem to recall is named "Anarchy" or something). Check out GTA Garage.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Or they could do a sort of The Wire deal with two characters, a street thug and maybe a corrupt cop, switching back and forth. That would own.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dave Mustard posted:

These modern era games just can't be as funny because they're not ready to be fully parodied. Our generation parodies itself and its own fads too fast for rockstar to try to me-too them when release finally happens. So most of the radio humor is GTA IV is bland at best.

Irony is a dead scene, as evidenced by the posters before you who couldn't detect an obvious joke post. But it is honestly also getting harder and harder to detect satire in popular media these days if you want to retain some faith in humanity, so I can't really blame them.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

wa27 posted:

Yeah but only one of these has the line "My mother's my sister!"

I SMOKE 'CAUSE IT GIVES ME KNOWLEDGE

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LA attack posted:

As soon as the release date is announced I'm hoping we'll be getting a new thread. It is tempting to create one now with the new screenshots but maybe there will be some new news really soon.

Just, please, make some thread rules that disallow discussion of previous titles' driving physics, realism and everything else that periodically made this thread nigh-insufferable.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Iacen posted:

is it wrong to hope that suit man is Donald Love?

Yes. Different game universe since GTAIV.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ak Gara posted:

Hell, just get rock star to make a The Wire game.

This forever. I hope one guy's a cop and the other a criminal.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'd like to acually complete TBoGT before GTAV drops. Any good mods you all can recommend? It doesn't matter if they're system-taxing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Long Francesco posted:

I hope someone here knows how the hell I can get my copy of gta4 to work. I bought it in 08 from direct2drive which seems to have been bought out by gamefly. I remember when i got it they just had me download an iso and install and it worked, 2 computers later and none of my old game files I want to play it again. I don't have any way to get the file I downloaded originally, their new site just wants me to buy it on steam. I dug through my old emails and found this:

So how do I get the files I need to install the game, and where do I use this key? I don't think getting the isos from a torrent would work without a bunch of dubious cracks and crap and that wouldn't be a legit install anyway.

Is there any reason you can't get it through the Gamefly client with your login? I had bought the game and expansions on D2D as well and recently installed EFLC from Gamefly with no issues. It's not an iso, though, it's ready to play when the download is finished. You can simply uninstall the client when you've downloaded the game.

I guess you could just acquire it elsewhere and enter your key, but then you'll probably have to fiddle with patches.

Cojawfee posted:

I never got why people always went with D2D over steam. It always ended up being a hassle and I could tell that it wasn't going to be around for very long I ended up being right.

I believe you could get both GTA IV and EFLC for $10 back then, the cheapest they'd ever been at that point. They're the only games I've bought there.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 30, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Where do I go for the best and most up-to-date EFLC mods? It's a jungle out there. Specifically looking for more realistic weapons stats and better models, essential script mods, good texture overhauls, ENBs, and so on. If anyone has any suggestions as well, that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

titties posted:

I'm down to about 9 story missions left on the PS3 version. I'm still locked out of the Vanilla Unicorn even though the patch was supposed to fix it. Ever since (late game) Trevor took it as a safehouse, every single door has been locked. If I do manage to switch to Trevor while he's inside the club, everyone is hostile and I get beaten to death almost instantly.

I've tried all the character-switching / meet up at the door tricks that I found online that are supposed to help, but I still can't get in. Does anyone else have any experience or insight they could lay on me?

This was fixed in the second patch.

• Locked thread