Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

ChuckDHead posted:

I really do keep intending to get to those, but I was just so uninspired by GTA4 that I could never be bothered spending the money, even Preowned. I'm just going to skip to GTAV and hope for the best.

You're missing out. They're really worth checking out if you're looking for something to tide you over, especially if GTA4 is not fresh in your memory.

For me, it's time to revisit San Andreas before 5 hits. I'm so excited at the idea of flying a crop duster and spraying pesticides over top of people, crashing into a building, and then blowing up in downtown causing a micro-biological war act. Here's to hoping you actually can do any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

maverick99 posted:

Not to mention VC has the best soundtrack.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite memory from that game. VC came out around the same time I actually started listening to music, if you know what I mean.

The neon lights were neat at first, but it's not really that which made the aesthetic for me. The whole idea of owning property and being some kind of business mogul was probably the most intriguing game element to me and the one I wish they would have explored a lot more.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Install, I think Kymera's question is if the activity happens during the same "episode". That is, it'd be like if I switched between Niko and Packie, not between Niko and Klebitz.

Also, the theories saying that the game is going to feature characters from the GTAIII or GTAIV series sound idiotic. Beyond Lazlow and references to other characters, it's probably going to just be a bunch of new characters.

Wishlist for available vehicles:

Bikes
Bi-Plane

Edit:

Kymera posted:

All the protagonists aside from perhaps Claude are very unique characters.

Claude is one of the most unique characters in retrospect, especially if you believe he is literally a mute.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 3, 2011

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The autosave feature was what I relied upon more than actually saving at a safehouse. Don't get me wrong, I like the safehouses, but more as extra bits to the world rather than a really useful game mechanic. As long as the soundtrack's awesome, I will enjoy cruising in this game as well.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

I see that there. posted:

Has anyone really mentioned that the dialog in the video may very likely not be the player-character?

Sounds like the introduction to an old bad guy you're introduced to work for.

I don't know why you're saying "very likely". It possibly could be, I'll grant you that, but I'm fairly certain that all the other premiere videos featured the protagonist.

Okay, I just looked up 4's and it was clearly Niko talking. The episodes featured Johnny and Luis, but they also featured a bunch of other people so there's that to consider, too. Edit: The trailers for them, that is.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You're speculating that the narrator for the video is more-than-likely not the player character based on really nothing, but giving this guy poo poo for pointing out a potential real-world reference built into the game?

The Statue of Liberty doesn't really hold a 20oz cup, guys. :rolleyes:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

-Dethstryk- posted:

Look...IGN...[was always]...joke game journalism
EGM's the only game journalism I read, and that's more because I like to know seanbaby is gainfully employed.

I, Butthole posted:

Video game journalism and all that but gently caress it, I loved Tommy Vercetti and I think GTAV would be kick rear end if it was about him :colbert:

I don't know. I liked Vercetti too, but that's because it was top-of-his game Tommy. Could you imagine (how old would he be?) a 52-year-old Tommy running around trying to get together his finances because his kid's scholarship was cancelled to the local state college?

Momomo posted:

I find myself feeling uncomfortable about the whole black guy = CJ thing. Do people really think only one black person is allowed to exist in a series?

8-ball will always be "that black guy from GTA" for me.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
GTA V: The Legend of Bigfoot & Vance

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Colonel Whitey posted:

Exhibit a) Tattoos
Exhibit b) How the hell can you compare a blocky PS2 face of a twenty-something year old to a current-gen face of a forty-something year old?

I'm not saying I think it's CJ, I'm just saying that people who think it might be are not automatically racist.

If you showed me the concept art for CJ, I would honestly not know it was him.

Seriously

vs.

Maybe I'm just a racist though.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Panzerfaust posted:

Accusing people who speculate such of being racist is just stupid.

That's just what the racists want you to think!

But yeah, I'm more intrigued by that brief look at a mission we saw. Costumed heists and criminal activity are a fun concept, and I'd love it if you could choose various ways of approaching a situation by having different costume types. That's probably not the case, but I'm allowed to dream.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Just started a new file of SA. The heat-wave effect in the video is kinda jarring.

Edit: Ha! I forgot the camera zoomed in on pedestrians when you go idle. It zoomed in on a prostitute as she was being hit by a car.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 5, 2011

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I just hope they let me put glasses on the character. That was one of my favorite ways of making Niko a bit more of my character rather than just a character, with those big, stupid-looking not-quite-Aviators.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Tumble posted:

I have a feeling that we're gonna get quite a bit of ways to spend money. I believe Rockstar themselves have said this game's plot is about chasing the almighty dollar and it would be quite foolish to have nothing to spend that money on. I'm guessing we'll get clothes, glasses, cars, houses and loads of other crap to buy.

I really loving hope so, but I don't want to build up expectations of being a less-than-legal business mogul, though that's exactly what I want to have appear.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Songbearer posted:

E: Let's add another system where you have to clean and maintain your guns :v:

I have a friend who would actually love to have that in a game.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
edit to include quote:

Zedd posted:

I spot a theme of goons complaining about the previous one a lot and burning the new things into the ground.
Best one was that gta4 looked bad.

On that note, I'm not understanding the hate for SA's "impossible" story line. The story seems pretty solid as I'm playing through it again. Carl comes back home to bury his mom, his brother gives him poo poo for leaving, CJ tries to make up for it by building the gang back up with his brother, Big Smoke sells out the Grove to Samuel Jackson, Carl has to do bitchwork or his brother dies horribly. This is as far as I've made it, and it feels pretty straight so far.

Vice City seemed like the last GTA game that actually featured the main character as the only person driving the narrative. Vice City was all about Vercetti becoming king. CJ, Niko, Johnny, and Luis are all just guys that are participating in a world that consists of more than just their activity. They're all, with maybe the exception of Johnny, somebody else's "bitch". I never played the Stories, so I don't know about that.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
The SA soundtrack is better than I remember it. And the K-Rose station is way better than I remember. Amos Moses came on when I got onto a quad and started zipping through the countryside. This game has some incredible moments for the player. And Catalina can go gently caress herself.

e: Convinced me to buy the Jerry Reed greatest hits just now, and so far it's a pretty fun collection of songs.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Kin posted:

What i'd like in GTA5 is to have a loving use for my money. It's fine if i've got more than I can handle at the end (give me access to minigames or some poo poo that cost money to play if you want to give me something to burn it on), but in 4 is was more or less pointless.

Let me do all the things saints row does. Let me buy a place, let me upgrade it, let me go out and buy shops and and cars and stuff. Let me gamble it all away like in San Andreas. Let me buy up the whole city like you do in Vice City and SR2. Let me fill a pool with it Scrooge McDuck style so I can go swimming in it and access a secret area that contains a spawn for an awesome weapon or vehicle. Let me gold plate my weapons for ridiculous sums of cash, let me bribe my way past difficult situations. Let me buy weapon spawn points for my safehouses or cheats (that don't disable achievements or whatever). Let me do all the things you'd expect to be able to do with a ton of money.

I keep wondering if they meant to make money useless in GTA IV for some sort of thematic reason or not. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, because seriously, it does nothing in that game.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

thehumandignity posted:

He's got another one on his back but I haven't gotten a good look at it yet.

I'll spoiler this excerpt from a wiki if you want the excitement of figuring it out for yourself.
When Brucie has his shirt off, a Chinese tattoo that reads "我" is visible. This translates to "me", or "I" in English, depending on what context it is being used in Chinese. Brucie has a tattoo on his lower stomach with the words "Mommy" which is only visible in two missions when he has his shirt off. The tattoos are similar to Scott Alexander's (which also read "No. 1" and things like "First", "Winner" and "Best" in Japanese), although Scott says of the tattoos on his website "I have these tattoos not because I see myself as the best or number one, but because [...] every time I look at one of my tattoos, even if I feel tired or ill, it charges me with adrenaline". Also, on his lower back are the two Chinese characters "人妖", which means "she-male".

I'd love it if you could confirm this.

And apparently his brother Mori has one too:
He claims to have a very large penis, calling it "the monster". Interestingly, a tattoo can be seen on his back, which, when translated into traditional Chinese, reads "small penis", contradicting his statement.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 27, 2013

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Dave Mustard posted:

Quick question: Does anybody know when Rockstar first started working with the RAGE engine, obviously GTA 4, but I mean, did they start working on the RAGE engine immediately after San Andreas, does anyone know?

That game released in 2006.

E. For reference, San Andreas released in 2004.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 9, 2013

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Scorched Spitz posted:

I usually go for the Things to Do in San Andreas mod. It adds some cut content and switches some details around to make a little more sense. For example, there's a mission where you had to steal your car back from the impound lot.

I've tried really hard to get this mod to work but am having the same trouble this guy did. I'm running it through steam, tried turning off read-only for the folders, run the install as administrator, downgraded to 1.0, and still can't get the thing to work. Has anyone had success with this on the steam version? Can you share your magics with me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
GTA III is my favorite GTA game.

• Locked thread