Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Scuba Diving?! Anyone remember the days when you stepped foot in the water and drowned? I only hope the cops drive off into the ocean with you, even though you have scuba gear and they don't. Maybe I enjoy these games for the wrong reasons?

I think watching AI drivers destroy themselves in hilarious ways is one of the most correct reasons to enjoy GTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
It looks like they're aiming to make this the definitive GTA, bringing as much of what everyone's been demanding back as possible. I'm unbelievably excited for the return of Grove Street and the Ballas; that was my favorite part of San Andreas' story and I can't wait to get more.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Serperoth posted:

I got the entire series on Steam for 7,5 euros, and III alone is already paying for itself. Story is concise, characters are all nicely done, each with his own spin on things (for example Tony not caring much about the Family), and for a game that's 11 years old it still is very much playable.
Looking forward to playing through the three III games (III, VC, SA) before hitting 4 and the DLC, which I know almost nothing about.

You are in for a treat. I wish I could play the whole series again for the first time. I actually played it backwards (SA, VC, III), so the games got worse as I went along, but I still had a blast and I replay each one of them pretty regularly.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

teacup posted:

Hey man,

Thank you as I have been trying to get San Andreas to work properly on my PC forever with widescreen and a controller. This finally let me.

One final thing though - I am on Windows 7 64bit and the colours are a bit whacky. Some are perfect but some are just way too dark - especially when it's meant to be low lighting (under a bridge, in cut scenes) and CJ in particular looks really wonky. Is there a fix for this or even a graphics mod that is easy to use?

Cheers,

Are you sure it's an error and not just how it is? San Andreas mostly looks like dogshit now under the best circumstances.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I got GTA2 last night, I'm having a lot of fun with it. Brings me back to my childhood. But I cant find a church to save the game for the life of me. I keep having to quit before I can save.

You'll want to have these printed out or available on your phone or something.

http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/View.php?view=GameInfo.Detail&id=57&game=8

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The PC and Dreamcast versions of GTA2 were rated M. The PS1 version got a T because they toned down some of the language.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

56k posted:

I literally just beat gta4. Finally. I could've sworn that I read Roman died in the story. Is there multiple paths on that one or was I dreaming that scenario? I'm not gonna play through again I am just curious.

Roman dies instead of Kate if you do the deal with Dimitri in the final mission. Doing the deal seems really stupid and out-of-character for Niko, but Roman's death is the more interesting of the two endings, in my opinion.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Is there some fix for San Andreas that allows you to remove the frame limiter without breaking all the poo poo that doing so normally breaks?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Long Francesco posted:

Do any of you remember playing multi theft auto in San andreas? Doing oj chases with 30 goons, forming gangs and doing drivebys in a nitrous powered hooptie was probably the most fun I've ever had in a game. Does that even exist anymore?

It's been six or seven years, probably, but I do indeed remember that. Also probably the most fun I've ever had with a multiplayer game. I wish I knew how to track Brains down so someone could get that server back up.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Long Francesco posted:

From what I remember mta ran with more arcade style modes like the oj chases and mountain top death matches, and samp had the server where you could own property and form gangs. Hard to say which one I liked more but I'd kill to have another oj chase.

The MTA freeroam server started life on SAMP, since it took ages for the San Andreas version of MTA to implement on-foot play. The SAMP roleplay server was a different beast entirely.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Scyron posted:

So is that some l2 cache or some small detail that was not standardized until 2009?

It just seems so odd you would need a specific year's processor or later for that one game, when more recent and far more taxing games like far cry 3/bd, max payne3, skyrim, metro 2034 all work flawlessly.

Some games are more demanding than others. Also, newer processors tend to be more powerful than older processors. I hope this clears up some confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The supposed GFWL shutdown isn't coming until next summer. What you're experiencing is probably just its usual shittiness.

• Locked thread