Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Seconds is often tagged a science fiction film, but it more of a psychological horror film than anything. It's not over-the-top, but very unsettling. Oh, and the ending is unforgettable.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

mistaya posted:

And to include something new for the thread, I'd like to recommend Splice. It's a movie about a pair of scientists who end up creating a hybrid humanoid that ages at an accelerated rate. They raise it in secret instead of terminating its life. A decent Netflix watch, although I feel like the ending was a bit of a let down. The scenes with the young Dren (the creature) are really neat though.

I quite enjoyed Splice. On the surface it looks like a run-of-the-mill "scientists shouldn't play God" creature feature. Most films with these themes have a scientist with noble aims who overreaches and creates a monster by mistake (think the brainy sharks from Deep Blue - the scientist was trying to prevent Alzheimer's). The couple in this movie, however, maybe start out with good intentions but quickly put their original goals on the backburner as they succumb to a perverse curiosity to see what happens next, and a sublimated desire to have a child. They make one poor decision after the other and it's fun to watch. Every time I thought, "Nah, the film's not ballsy enough to go there" - they went there.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I've been asking for these for a while, but: Can anyone suggest me some Docudramas?
Sci-fi, horror, or thriller docudramas.

Let me clarify on this. I'm not talking found-footage, because found footage tend to be very raw, mimicking an unedited format.

I'm talking docudrama, where there's an awareness to the editing. Basically a mockumentary, but not played for laughs or irony. A film that uses the narrative structure of a documentary, which will then include found-footage or interview footage within it's structure.

I know that's a bit specific, but I really love these.

The Legend of Boggy Creek gave me the heebie jeebies as a little kid. It's a "documentary" about a bigfoot-like creature in Arkansas. It's from the 70's, though, and very low budget.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

monkey posted:

Your Dylan McDermott avatar reminded me that this movie belongs in this thread:

It's a slightly art-house lower budget version of terminator without the time travel aspect. Nothing amazing plot wise, it fit's the sci-fi thriller category at least. I mostly liked it for the visuals, the director had only done music videos before this film. It's got cameos from Iggy Pop and Lemme from motorhead.

I saw it when it came out because the soundtrack featured Ministry and it was tied to the "industrial" aesthetic which I was into, but it was only a so-so movie.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

After watching the trailer for "Clown", it got me thinking - there aren't many horror movies where a good person slowly turns into evil due to some external force. Can anybody recommend some movies that have that sort of premise?

Uh, The Shining?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Sarchasm posted:

It's just a tiny bit more lurid than most films in the thread, but Drag Me to Hell touches on this theme a bit. And it's a pretty good movie besides, especially if you like Sam Raimi.

Actually I think it poses the question of whether the main character was ever a good person, but whatever. The events of the movie make her awfulness more obvious, at the very least.

Eh, no more evil than any other average person trying to get ahead in capitalist society. Selfish maybe, but "evil" considering the ridiculous extremes of characters in the horror genre? Nah.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Yeah, use that handy "edit" button to put the spoiler tags on it, pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I watched the trailer at work with the sound off and I thought it looked good - some disturbing imagery and implications. The trailer spoiled more than I liked, but knowing more about the story makes me want to see it play out in this case.

• Locked thread