Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

justlikedunkirk posted:

Sombre

The fact that this look into the tortured mind of a serial killer is creepy, surprised us :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Shalkore posted:

He played the character like a normal person and as a result made for a dull horror film. His reactions to the situation were almost too genuine. He was rational and intelligent and that rarely works in a horror film.

So you're the reason our protagonists always run up the stairs instead of going out the door.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Technetium posted:

Agreed, Martyrs is pretty much the definition of a psychological thriller, definitely seconding this one.

I disagree. It just hides behind concepts of psychology to justify its unceasing cruelty against the protagonist.

"Yes, we are showing this girl being stabbed, beaten, skinned, what have you but it's because we want to find out about this deeper psychology in victims."

The film is still exploitative and, most definitely, stupid. It's not a wink to its audience like in Funny Games, for example; It is solely a failed attempt at justifying what it's showing.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 28, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Dead Man's Shoes is terrific and Paddy Considine can be intimidating as hell.

"What the gently caress are you looking at?"
"You, ya oval office!"

It sure is a long way removed from the Andys.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

jeremy oval office posted:

I think it belongs in this thread because of the hallucinogenics scene and its fragmented structure. It's definitely a psychological thriller, as well as a revenge flick.

The movie can be rather scary at times. (not a spoiler, just a good scene)

http://i.imgur.com/S8TrM.gif

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fun fact: that Bowie song is what inspired Lynch to make Lost Highway in the first place.

I did not know that. That's fantastic.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Sometimes I feel like the only one who didn't care at all for Session 9. :smith:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

I know I'll get poo poo for this but you need to see....

A Serbian Film

I thought Serbian Film was really good and well made.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

big business sloth posted:

You should also see The Wages of Fear, the movie Sorcerer is basically a remake of. It's a thriller of the highest degree for the same reason. Directed by Clouzot, who also did Diabolique (another great thriller!)

Sorcerer and The Wages of Fear are great companion pieces. Both brilliant in their own way.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Aphra Bane posted:

To contribute, another Australian film that always unsettles me is Picnic at Hanging Rock.
It tells the story of the disappearance of a group of school girls and their teacher who go missing on a field trip in 1900, and the subsequent investigation made by police and a would-be love interest. I can understand why some people would just call it a straight drama or mystery, but to me there's always been a current of weirdness and potential supernaturalness to the film that sets it apart. Things like everyone's watch stopping once they arrive at Hanging Rock, or the way in which the teacher disappears up the rock as described by a girl who witnessed it, and the early implication that at least one of the missing girls somehow knew what was going to happen. There's a very unsettling vibe to it all. A sense of something horrible lurking behind the pretty cinematography that is never directly spelled out. I mean, it's pretty drat low on the horror scale, but I think it's eerie enough to warrant a spot.

It's an amazing film. Kinda sad we don't get the novel's ending.

They turn into crabs, I think

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

goodness posted:

That is not at all what happens :wtc:

Ahaha, that's what I get for trusting someone else's interpretation of the 18th chapter (which got published after the author's death) which I hadn't read myself. You can read it here ( http://robertomengoni.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/secret-hanging-rock.pdf ) and I guess someone was loving with me.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 23, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

monkey posted:

Your Dylan McDermott avatar reminded me that this movie belongs in this thread:

It's a slightly art-house lower budget version of terminator without the time travel aspect. Nothing amazing plot wise, it fit's the sci-fi thriller category at least. I mostly liked it for the visuals, the director had only done music videos before this film. It's got cameos from Iggy Pop and Lemme from motorhead.

Also, Porkins.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yup.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

After watching the trailer for "Clown", it got me thinking - there aren't many horror movies where a good person slowly turns into evil due to some external force. Can anybody recommend some movies that have that sort of premise?

Do you mean like every possession movie ever?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So I just watched the trailer for 'Clown' and I can't believe they made movie out of a literal Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iw4ZeNoTbg

tvayisnihyaami posted:

Are you a fresh coast retard?

fresh coast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Zesty Mordant posted:

"Sorcerer," a movie we talked about earlier in this thread, finally got some showings earlier this month at Cinefamily (and some other places, maybe?). It was really fantastic, as others said the south american setting is much more awful than the Wages of Fear version, and there are some scenes in this movie that are so harrowing it borders on a panic attack. I thought it would be a small crowd to see the film but I went on the last night it showed and the theater was basically full. The sound editing is so precise, it's no wonder it garnered the film its only award nomination. Gunshots, explosions, car doors slamming are all monstrously loud and sharp, and during the tense moments the soundtrack (by Tangerine Dream, which in other parts of the film was kind of cheesy but when it works it works) builds up and then abruptly cuts, and the whole theater was silent afterward.

One thing I can't find any info on though: Especially during the early scenes (perhaps because I became accustomed to it, I don't know) the film looks as if it was shot on video, or at a very high film speed. There's no motion blur and it gives the effect that it was shot in a very amateur way. It was like that effect that dumb people turn on their modern TVs that makes everything look like a soap opera, the "tru motion" setting or whatever. Anyway it sort of looked like poo poo to begin with. Anyone else who has seen this notice this?

I've seen that movie a lot and never noticed this, both on the DVD and the actual print I saw. Usually that kind of stuff stands out to me like a sore thumb.

Maybe a projection issue?

• Locked thread