Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ringu

So there's this urban legend about a cursed vhs tape. If you see it you get a phone call and after seven days you die. One journalist decides to investigate this legend.
What is great about this movie is how good it builds the tension. Take the opening scene for example. First the girls casually talk about the legend, then it's revealed that one of the girls actually saw the tape and finally that this is her final day. Then tv turns itself on..
The remake is considered one of the good remakes of Asian horror movies but I think it loses a lot in the translation. It's not so subtle, everything (including how the people look after death) is exaggerated. The original movie also touches on the maybe ambiguous relationship that the Japanese have to their technology that American don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Angel Heart

A private detective is contacted by a mysterious man named Louis Cyphre who wants to find a crooner named Johnny Favorite. Apparently Johnny Favorite broke a contract.
This is movie that slowly let's you know that something is very hosed up. How there is some evil forces lurking beneath the streets of New Orleans. No one is really innocent and everybody has an ulterior motive. As a result you don't know who to trust, not even the protagonist. So great atmosphere and some great acting. Plus Lia Bonet's tits.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

el oso posted:

I just watched Oculus today and enjoyed it a lot. I love movies that mess with the perception of reality and the mixing of the past and present events was really dynamic.

I really like how the characters are intentionally doing stupid stuff (like not running away or destroying the mirror right away) in order to provoke the monster to appear.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The movie just kind of ends. They are no better off than when they started. They didn't really learn anything new about the ghost, or resolve anything. The nerd finally gets a pity gently caress which made the least sense of all to me, just bang some dude at a bar or something instead of forcing the one cool dude in the movie to gently caress some skanky hooker in order to give her a curse that she almost assuredly will get killed by. I am also constantly wondering, why not get the authorities involved since you can physically interact with this thing and its constantly showing itself? The movie's ending reminded me of the fake-out ending of the Ring (which was brilliant) except this wasn't a fake out, the movie really was just over.

By the end of the movie she has accepted the fact that she will die one day. By the end of the movie something is following her but she no longer fear it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Didn't they make it clear that if you didn't teach the next person the rules and it killed them the curse returned to you?

The rules aren't clear at all. The guy who explains them got the curse from some random one night stand and he doesn't know even know what her name was.

• Locked thread