Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Submission grapplers are the nicest dudes. Just took my second lesson, and it seems like the gym is full of dudes who are 100% committed to helping out new guys. I just keep my mouth shut, do what I'm shown and try to keep my arms in t-rex position.

Also there is a deaf guy who submitted Mark Kerr; that's pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
How far along would you want to be in grappling before you did a seminar? I'm still just getting my legs under me, and I don't want to waste a few hundred bucks on something way over my head.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 16, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I rolled with a legit heavyweight yesterday. It was like trying to bikini wax a grizzly. I started in his guard and he just bench-pressed me into the air before crushing me with side control.

I'm a goony 230+ right now, and this tells me it would be loving suicide to compete at anything heavier than 185. Guess I shouldn't have had all that Nathan's for lunch. :kiddo:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mindtwist posted:

The worst part about training so much is all the loving laundry. I fell asleep before taking my gi and clothes out of the washer last night and now they've got that disgusting musty smell. hopefully another wash with a bunch of baking soda will take care of it. any other tips for getting that smell out? this happens like once a month

Two cups plus of vinegar in your wash will kill the mildew smell. Seems to work on everything but neoprene, but they sell special poo poo for that.

e: I use a steel cup. I've only grappled for a couple months now, but I've had enough knees to the groin in that short time to convince me it was a great investment.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 1, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

origami posted:

I'm surprised someone is trying kneebars on you when it's your first week.

I got heel hooked on my first night. There was no pressure or anything, the guy I was rolling with just worked into the position and said "This is a heel hook. I can break your leg from here".

Leg game is loving weird. I can see why most schools only let advanced guys mess with it.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Meat Recital posted:

Could anyone recommend some good ear protection for BJJ training? My ears have been getting sore, and I have some mild cauliflower developing in one ear. I dont want to end up like James Thompson (sorry willie_dee). I was thinking about rugby style ear tape. What do you guys use?

I use wrestling headgear. It's actually a shitload less obtrusive than boxing headgear, so you get used to wearing it really quickly - I barely realize I'm wearing it anymore. Thursday night we had a guy's cauliflower ear rupture, JT v. Kimbo style, and it's a sight that stays with you.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

KidDynamite posted:

This stops when you start using amateur headgear which is only 10oz has minimal cheek pads and an open chin. Speaking of which I'm thinking of getting the winning headgear with the nose bar you still recommend it, right? I have a friend near the winning store in CA that is going to ship them to me.

Has Kazumichi said anything about when Winning is going to start selling stuff normally again?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Banged up my knee drilling takedowns, so it's hammer machines for the next two weeks. Which means I get to go into my first tournament out of practice. :sigh:

Question for the new page: Do you guys prefer a more structured learning environment or do you like it when your coaches just flow through training sessions?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Bohemian Nights posted:

Without being entirely sure what flowing through a training session would entail

At my gym, before we warm up we talk about what we'd like to focus on and run through that first, be it a sweep or takedown or whatever, and then our coach will riff off of that by showing the progression from that or the counter. Like the other night we started with a scissor sweep, since most of us were new and need to learn a sweep, and since that puts you in mount with good control of a wrist we moved into attacking from mount and mount escapes, then started rolling after 30 minutes or so.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

People are weird about punching and being punched in the face.

Oh most definitely. I only do very light sparring, but even then I have a hard time actually hitting a person in the head at all.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Yuns posted:

Well I absolutely love BJJ so I've fought my way through these injuries. But honestly, if I suffer one more serious injury. I'm hanging up my gi/rashguard and sticking with solely coaching and not competing or training. Loss of use of 3 limbs(!) is enough for one person. I only listed my spine injuries there. I haven't listed all my other injuries.

Are injuries as severe as yours outliers, or have you found that in the long term these are just things that happen to every grappler?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Those rules sound like AIBA and point karate had a flipperbaby. What was the sanctioning organization?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Nierbo posted:

When I do my goblet squats, should I jump at the end to work on :siren:explosiveness:siren:? Or should I stick to doing it normally?

Jump squats are usually programmed with many fewer reps (like, 1-3 reps per set) than goblet squats, which I've usually seen used as a warmup or muscular endurance movement.

Thibaudeau, Prilepin and Verkhoshansky all have pretty interesting stuff to say about loaded jumps. You might wanna check them out.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

swagger like us posted:

Im not going to lie, after reading the thread about CTE in football, its a little scary about getting back into boxing. Sure I knew there was injury possible and damage but I didnt realize how small impacts over time might have a serious damage done.

Maybe Ill just stick with my gay pajama groping

I still box for fun sometimes, but I've taken enough shots to the head from boxing and football that I don't let it get beyond little taps anymore. It's all about what you're comfortable with.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

Playing line in football is a very different animal from hobby boxing. Unless you're just hanging your head out for guys to tee off over and over

Yeah, I played D line for years so I figure I've got a nice patina of scar tissue all over my frontal cortex. No reason to make a bad situation worse.

Fake edit: Wrestling headgear is awesome, and I will hear no ill spoken of it. :colbert:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

Ali was also known for fighting with his hands down and using foot speed and his crazy reflexes.

Ali was also infamous for letting his sparring partners beat the almighty gently caress out of him to improve his pain tolerance, especially in his rope-a-dope later years.

Ali's one-of-a-kind chin was a curse more than anything else. It let him get away with poo poo that would have killed most guys.

e: Even Rocky Marciano was a better defensive fighter than those "take it on the forehead" guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0yHvw-vW0

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 17, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I usually grab a clif bar about 30 minutes before class. Low blood sugar is a showstopper for me.

Had two high schoolers rolling against each other at the gym tonight. We had one of the advanced students subbing for our usual instructor and I guess he didn't keep a close enough eye on them, because one of the kids ended up with a popped shoulder from a kimura sweep.

You guys who teach: How do you get young guys to roll softer?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Yeah, it sounds like it was a perfect storm of having a bunch of new kids show up and an inexperienced teacher running the class. I'll do what I can to keep an eye out from now on and keep the headstrong guys from wrecking each other.

I felt sick seeing a 14-year-old kid go down with a blown out shoulder. That's the sort of injury you never come back from 100%, and he's only starting his career.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

They were rolling. Unless I am the one mixing stories.

Yeah, it was a roll. One kid locked the other in a sloppy kimura and tried to sweep him. The other kid just tried to muscle out of it until his shoulder went blooey. e: I was on the other end of the mat, so I'm just piecing together what I heard.

That's a great idea re: drills, too. I'll talk with the instructor about it.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Mark Schultz is holding a wrestling clinic here starting tomorrow evening. Have any goons worked with him before?

I can't wait to hear him and Mikey Burnett talk about the old, old days of the UFC.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Well, gently caress. The main sponsor at my gym just realized he's not going to be the next Joe Gold and pulled his funding. Does anyone here have experience rounding up sponsors/advertisers/etc for a gym?

I've got some contacts in tribal gov't, so I'm going to check out what we might do as a 501(c)3 "youth development" organization, but I'm sure there are other angles I'm not considering.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mewse posted:

You're american indian right? My boxing coach is first nations but I'm up in Canada so I don't know what funding looks like down there

Yeah, I'm with the Muscogee Nation and the tribe is super fired up about having athletics for our youth. IIRC, we even got part of the way through starting up a boxing gym before the would-be head trainer had to retire for his health. Of course, going through the tribe might end up blossoming into something totally different that just getting some rent money for the gym.

On topic: Does anyone here use grappling socks?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Does Dennis Newsome have any pull in the larger capoeira community? He made some waves talking up 52/Jailhouse Rock/The Deadly Fighting Art of America's Fiercest Prisoners then dropped off the face of the earth.

Rener and Ryron spent some time talking about streetfighting and jiu jitsu. It's 10% talk about mindset, 90% sales pitch, but I remember there was a lot of interest in the fight video that was posted here a few months back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e864iZ4sB8Q

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

entris posted:

I would say that a curriculum which deals wtih multiple attackers, defense against weapons, and offensive use of weapons, is a pretty difficult curriculum to feel confident in - it's a much higher bar than just defending against drunks.

If I ever met someone training all this concurrently I'd wonder why they didn't just sign up for BUD/S.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

just go Iceman Style: put your back to a wall, flip your watch over your knuckles and knockout anyone who comes within range.

Is there video of this?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Wasn't Aikido meant as a practice for older martial artists who had lots of experience with jujutsu, karate and so on? If that was the case, then going right into Aikido would be like trying to do financial modeling before you knew algebra.

e:^^^ The thing we always say at our gym is that grappling was invented the first time there was one steak and two cavemen. The stuff that works is always going to resemble other stuff that works, no matter what you call it.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Fontoyn posted:

If you get a kimura on me standing up I really clearly need to never ever train again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhTqKePonjg

:colbert:

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Sounds kinda bullshit, yeah. But is it fun?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
How old are you, btw? If you're much past 20 you might just not have the recovery ability to sustain that volume for very long.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Every single issue of Black Belt Magazine up to 2004 is archived on Google Books. Now you can read about the Secret Street Lethal Double Kicks of Hawaiian Hapkido at your leisure.

http://books.google.com/books?id=oM4DAAAAMBAJ&dq=black+belt&source=gbs_all_issues_r&cad=1&atm_aiy=1960#all_issues_anchor

And those nasty Gracie brothers won't know what hit 'em when you rock that Ninjitsu poo poo. :c00lbert:

e: Read and enjoy as all the Kenpo Karate and Dim Mak Death Touch video ads give way to full-page Gracie Academy promos and pictures of a scowling, off-cycle Don Frye.

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 20, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

kimbo305 posted:

Holy poo poo, the typo on the 3rd page, in the K-1 ad.

Oh Ishii. :allears:

There's a Peter Aerts interview from '97 or so where he seriously weighs like 72 pounds. Juicing did him a whole shitload of good.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Shave your head, practice your double-leg and compete as Fujita Jr. (Alternatively keep your drat hands up.)

Great win.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
The last time I tried to compete they found the tumor in my leg. This time they took some films of my shoulder and found: torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, arthritis.

:toot:

Something tells me that I'm going to be doing all my man-hugging for fun and not plastic trophies.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

kimbo305 posted:

The black goat acknowledges that 90% of fights go to the ground. He tries to pull guard and successfully neutralizes the situation.

Dude, baazilian jiu jitsu doesn't work.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

After a little digging, it looks like he's a Taekwondo coach who's taken a video course in BJJ. I would expect him to be awful. He's also a Reiki master, so he believes in magic, too.

Novum posted:

Stick around for the humorous stories that will result.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

mewse posted:

Boxing doesn't hurt your hands. It will probably make your shoulders sore more than anything

After a few years of training I noticed some minor loss of fine motor control in my fingers. Basically unless I painted portraits on a grain of rice for a living, nothing that would ever impact me at all.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Novum posted:

Not that I have any strong opinions for or against it, but why so anti-wing chun exactly?

Wing Chun is fun and gets you out of the house/off your rear end, but many of the guys in this thread compete in kickboxing/grappling/mma and wing chun has had exactly zero high level success in any of those fields.

e: I remember someone in here posted a clip of an early UFC match where a wing chun practitioner was GnP'd into the grave like three seconds after the gong. Is that still up somewhere?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Thoguh posted:

I really gotta wonder what was going through that guy's head as the match started.

"The other guy is shooting, what should I do? Certainly not sprawl or counter, that's for sure"

5 seconds later...

"I don't see any reason why I should try to stop him from moving from between my legs to straddling my torso"

5 seconds later...

"I've made a huge mistake"
Early UFC was, after Bruce Lee, the single best thing that ever happened to martial arts in America.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

henkman posted:

Did you know Wing Chun fighters can punch, kick, and block all at the same time?

I'm glad Zinoviev was able to overcome the handicap of bringing his one-dimension grappling game against such a well-rounded example of the traditional fighting arts.

e: Just watch as he does half-speed drills against a murderer's row of overweight bowling lane attendants, video store clerks and professional community college students!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Thoguh posted:

Wanna see the videos of how that guy got to be 14-0.

"What in that style could have given him problems?"

You can't really trust anyone's stated MMA records until the late 90s. Remember how Rickson was supposedly 300-0? Yeah.

• Locked thread