Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Couple of page ago, someone recommended light weights while running are great for shoulders, I do aikido but I'm having shoulder trouble. I run often so should I just grab the weights and get to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I like running. Everybody at my gym is absurdly fit and I always feel like a fat nerd, but when I step out into the real world and run races with thousands of people I tear through them like a god striding among mortals. Obstacle races are a bunch of fun though they're kind of expensive.

Hah that's me too, I'm a regular guy with a bit of a beer belly but when I run it's cross country and I'm sprinting up every hill I can see. When I 5k with gym rat friends who mostly treadmill or jog around the street my legs are like pistons steaming me off into the sun set, they just can't keep up.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ligur posted:

I did a cigarette and beer diet this summer during my vacation for 3+ weeks and lost between 10-12 lbs.

Is this good progress?

You obvs weren't drinking enough beer if you lost weight

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm starting boxing on Monday, I've never boxed in my entire life so what kind of shoes do I wear?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My first boxing class was amazing fun, can't wait to start sparring. I have no idea if boxing will help my aikido or the other way around but it was really nice to do something resembling a real fight. I really like hitting people (when they want me to).

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Do starting strength, it's fantastic. I used to run 3 times a week but now with all the martial arts and lifting I do I haven't been able to run as much. In the future when I'm hardcore I'm going to look into running in the mornings and doing everything else in the evenings.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Anyone have any advice on hand wraps?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

mewse posted:

they're good

To be honest I was looking for a quick recommendation but after doing ~20 seconds of research I came to the conclusion that its just a piece of cotton. Thanks though.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

My girlfriend wants to do BJJ because you can get pink and purple gis. Each to their own.

Gonna swing this by my girlfriend and see what she thinks.

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 3, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I got Everlast cotton hand wraps, 108 inches

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Novum posted:

Sambo good

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
We did a wrestling game in a recent boxing class, I liked it. I'm still pretty new to the whole martial arts thing but I enjoyed it enough to want to try out some more wrestling stuff at some point in the future. In an hilarious twist of aikido-is-actually-useful I managed to nikyo a guy which the rest of the class found hilarious.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

I (try to) move like a motherfucker, it honestly is the only option for a small dude, now we only did drills that didn't really allow that. It's a bit of a paradox when I can grapple much better with actually good and big fighters even if they fight harder than usual but with a big fat violent beginner I'd rather stay in striking distance, because takedowns have such a risk for injury with the fat rear end in a top hat. I think I need to start lifting again, a bit of extra strength wouldn't hurt.

Can't you just say this to him? If I feel an injury coming on I just mentioned it to my partner to go easy.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Maybe you have a different breed of salesman where you live. Salesmen in my city are basically a loud and aggressive pack of roaming MRAs. Intentionally backhanded compliments, yelling passive aggressive stuff if you don't engage with them, blocking your path, handing flyers to you and then not letting go of the other end so that you're stuck holding onto them, that kind of thing.

They're doing a sales job, its nothing personal. Stop taking it personally. It's the same with beggars, it's basically a sales job.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ligur posted:

I self-defendered last weekend against aggressive drunk who wanted to fight! Self-defense is an attitude! Palms open and smiles!

Did you ex appreciate you beating off that fat guy?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What's the deal with these delusional Koreans??

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Oh yeah that thing. Still though, attempting to claim everything Japanese is a weird step for nationalists to take

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
why even bother kicking? :aikido:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What do you mean two different kicks? I could do with some more explanation than the video provides to be honest

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
How often should I be getting stripes in my boxing classes?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I win all the balance games in my boxing club because of my aikido. Also once when I was out trail running, I tripped on a root and did the most perfect forward roll. Those are my aikido stories.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Sounds like burpees

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I love burpees. I love sparring too, but sometimes I prefer the conditioning classes

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

The Fool posted:

Because bad Aikido instructors only train their students to defend against three half-assed attacks?

If you get a good instructor though it's a lot of fun. That said, if someone attacked me in the street (again lol) I'd mentally default to my boxing, but that's not really a problem anyway as some famous aikido guy said, "fights are 70% punching and 30% throws".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lg-IOQ6Ts

My aikido club does realistic attacks as well as the traditional attacks, and the philosophy is that the traditional attacks are generally to be though of as training aids. I've been encouraged to fight like a boxer a couple of times so higher level guys can get some realistic practise in.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

origami posted:

what would you guys recommend if I knew I had to take on two guys in a year or less?

flight won't be a option (wish it was tbh).

Oh I dunno maybe something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKuW5M2P8TI

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

If he only had a street Karate routine to save his life. It is so dangerous, you can't use it in competition.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I started shadow boxing while out running, it's awesome people will avoid the hell out of you.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Do any of you have experiences with people coming in thinking they're hot poo poo, but it's plainly obvious that they have no technique whatsoever?

We had this pretty big guy come to my boxing club who had "won his first fight" so he said. I sparred with him and he couldn't move for poo poo, all I had to do was hop in and out throwing jabs. He got really frustrated because he wasn't able to land a full force hit on me. Haven't seen him since.

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Also had a girl quit because you can't wear shoes in Judo and she did not want people looking at her feet.

That's so sad, the ladies have it tough like we couldn't imagine.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I have this guy in my class who goes on an on about krav maga, I don't have the heart to tell him what I've read in this thread.

edit: What's bjj like for small guys?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've decided to ditch the aikido for a while and take up bjj now for my thing to do 2015. This is my local guy, I don't think there are any other Irish people posing in this thread so I don't really expect much in the way of a recommendation but there it is anyway. Bjj along with the boxing should make me the coolest guy around. I still love aikido and I'll probably pop in for a class every now and then but with the help of you fine ladies and gentlemen I've really come to see that if you're martial art has no competitions, you're not really learning anything you can apply when you need it.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
My very first sparring session I forgot my gumshield so that's exactly what they had us do.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Doing my first bjj class this morning, exciting!

edit:

Ligur posted:

edit: and there was a lot of laughing, also a drill I like, to prepare for sparring, is going a couple of rounds of fighting with no mouthgard and no gloves and open palm strikes only when it comes to hands: even the most panicky, twitchy trainee will become quite calm and calculated at that point

This loving drill, I almost had my eye taken out by some 18 year old doing this getting too excited, I don't know what he was thinking but his open palms turned into pointy fingers for a split second.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Which would be better for fighting 2 people at once judo or bjj?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

As far as I know (from friends who do historical and modern archery) it's legit, though some people were questioning the pull of the bow he uses. Holding arrows in the draw hand makes so much sense that it boggles my mind how people kinda "forgot" how to do it. That's the nature of historical martial arts though.

But seriously. The dude shoots an arrow flying towards him in half with his own arrow.

People never forgot anything, the guy just never talked to a person who practises mounted archery. The historical archers I know are slightly annoyed at this guy for misrepresenting them all. He just became a really skilful archer all by himself instead working with an existing historical archery group that could've shown him all this supposedly "forgotten" stuff. It's impressive for sure but if you're rich enough to have mounted archery as a hobby then you've been taught to run and jump around shooting targets as fast as you can while holding arrows on your hand.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Except you can't shoot an arrow to the right when you're riding a horse

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I'm also doing a modified 5x5 with weights in my house, you really don't need much equipment

For anyone interested here are 2 amazing threads:
Starting Strength Thread
Form Check Thread

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 29, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Any advice/drills etc for defense in boxing? I was sparring with a guy that was going really heavy tonight, I only held my own because he telegraphed really badly

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I enjoyed the bjj classes I've been too and all but I keep thinking that if that happened to me there is no way I'd want to end up on the ground surrounded by the other guys friends. Judo will at least leave me still standing (I hope)

e: no doubt bjj is effective though

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Always liked this one

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
We spar every thursday at my boxing club

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Man teach me more, I would love to do some kickin' dudes, savate looks fun