Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Rabhadh posted:

We had this pretty big guy come to my boxing club who had "won his first fight" so he said. I sparred with him and he couldn't move for poo poo, all I had to do was hop in and out throwing jabs. He got really frustrated because he wasn't able to land a full force hit on me. Haven't seen him since.

Seanbaby's line about this always strikes me as accurate: I saw permutations of this at my old boxing gym (which was in a rather lovely neighborhood in Toronto) a dozen times, at least:

However, here's what I've noticed about "street fighters." Every time a new guy at a boxing gym has no "formal training" other than the mean streets, go ahead and take out your mouthpiece, because this is what's happening next: First, he'll take a long time to explain how he can fight orthodox or southpaw, which always means that he can't do either. Next, he'll throw noodley punches at your shoulders for half a round, mostly with his eyes closed. This sets up his finishing move of forming the time-out signal with his hands while he pants about still getting over a cold. If you're really lucky, he'll thank you after all that, warrior to warrior, for a glorious battle. All I'm saying is that as far as I can tell, the street trains you to fight about as well as corn syrup and lupus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

I occasionally evangelize my gym at work. Any time I bring it up around a specific co-worker he launches into this big speech about how he learned to fight on the street (he's white middle class) and that he wouldn't be able to control himself (probably true) and would put anyone he was partnered with in the hospital. (probably not) He's normally a pretty chill guy too, but some people just have a ridiculous ideas about their fighting abilities.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-average-male-4000-less-effective-in-fights,36321/

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I can understand now why people do it. We have 3 different BJJs gyms here. All but one are dodgy, and the only legit BJJ gym is really expensive with a contract and only 2 training times a week.

That is goddamn scandalous. Two sessions a week? Every BJJ place I've been to has at least 8x a week at varying times of the day.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Nierbo posted:

UGH what is with all the BJJ around here being taught by blue belts. I would still benefit immensely from helpp from a blue belt but I feel for the money they charge we should get someone more experienced.

The BJJ program (if you can call it that) at my university is run by a white belt. Dude trained under someone for a year or so someplace else and has been running BJJ at school for something like 5 years. So it could be worse.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Thats funny but horrible at the same time.

I just found out that a guy I train with did BJJ there for 2 years before figuring out that he was wasting his time and the coach was a dolt. Two years wasted. Imagine how pissed you'd be when you went to a real gym.

Also I was wrong: guy's been running the BJJ club at my uni since 1998. Apparently there's something like a 90% turnover yearly.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

this poo poo is so cash. Oh man there's just not a minute that's not perfect.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Neeber posted:

In light of Canada's recent election, can a kind goon please critique Justin Trudeau's boxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYlWiZMhaLE

He's punching a woman beater so everything he does is great, irrespective of his questionable form.

Patrick Brazeau is loving scum.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

KildarX posted:

Think Ninjas, except Jewish.

someone here called it Jew Jitsu once and that its practicioners were Krav Magicians and I've used both terms ever since. that person expanded my vernacular.

a girl i used to work with did it for a few years and used to talk about it. I do BJJ very badly so i always have these weirdo bruises on my forearms and occasionally turn up with a black eye from a spazzy new guy nailing me in the face. anyway she asked me about the large one on my forearm and i told her. she's like 'oh yeah i when i did krav we did knife defence and you do a circle block and hit the knife out and you get bruises'.

I've seen a few knife fights. they're really bad and above all really abrupt. I've had several people whose opinions I value (my BJJ coach, who's a black belt and former MMA fighter and just bad dude) tell me the way to deal with a knife is to run away as fast as possible.

I think the problem with poo poo like that is that krav teaches that its magic will help you to avoid a knife, nothing's going to help you to avoid a knife but not being in the proximity of a knife, so people will stay and try to defend and then wonder why they're suddenly feeling lightheaded and why the fingers of one hand won't respond and why its suddenly getting dark.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Bangkero posted:

Don't feel bad - krav maga is the crossfit of martial arts. But thanks for the gym bag talk!

Funny story: last year I was rolling with a krav maga guy. I swept him to mount and as I was establishing my base he suddenly claws his hand, whispers "eye scratch!", then pretends to rake my face. In hindsight I should have just "eye raked" him continuously from mount to show how ridiculous he was but instead I just lol'd then worked my way to an arm triangle and whispered "arm triangle!" into his ear before he tapped.

Are you entirely sure he wasn't saying "I scratch" as in he was going to scratch you and he'd lost the ability to conjugate verbs because your sweep was so dominating?

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

One of my coaches told me it is OK to be thrown full force with a freshly lanced cyst on my back. This also someone who took a car cigarette lighter to burn ringworm on his leg and also had a heavy bag thrown into his back when he had shingles. He's a great judo coach but not the best at recommending medical advice.

Did the heavy bag to the back cure his shingles. What was the point of that?

I can see trying to get ringworm to stop itching by burning it but the bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I felt this way the first time I checked out fencing. "you mean you can't even sidestep!?".

Hema is cool:

https://youtu.be/VlCQ2pBob5Q

My favorite part is that there's like 30 people there but they've still got the fight showing on a screen.

That is some goddamned majestic background scenery though. They should have UFC or Metamoris events in front of a mountain.

• Locked thread