Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for a decent rash guard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be honest I'd rather get thrown on my back then punched in the face.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I signed up for my first judo tournament.

:ohdear:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got second place in my first judo tournament!

I also broke two bones in my hand!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
went back to judo for the first time in 2 months (was out because of a broken hand) and holy poo poo am i out of shape :negative:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verisimilidude posted:

A martial arts poem~

uchi mata day
god drat it my shoulder hurts
an uke's torment

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ManOfTheYear posted:

Do you guys have people in your clubs that are extremely injury prone? We have this brown belt girl in our judo club who is getting destroyed: she has broken her wrist, almost snapped her ankle, gotten two concussions, getting the wind knocked out of her continuously and otherwise bruised, hit, headbutted and struck in every imaginable way in the last three months. The crazy thing is that it basically is her own fault, because she always goes 100% so she loses most of her energy very soon (no matter how well conditrioned you are you will get tired if you hulk out for 20-30 minutes) and after that she will not slow down even though she is exhausted which leads to extremely awkward landings from bizarre angles, even if the other guy is't practicing normally and actually being careful around her.

The most amazing part is that she is literally incabable from learning from any of it. No matter what happens, she doesn't think "Oh man, I think I should lay down for a while and take a day or two of to get rid of this concussion" or "maybe I should take a little break and rest for this sparring bout, then I'll fight the next" she will just try to immediatedly get up and try to do everything as hard as she can until her body will not respond. In the summer it was very hot and she actually has blacked out memories from a lot of training sessions. What the gently caress

It doesn't matter what you say to her and she is a grown as woman so you can't babysit her. She's just proud how she yesterday threw up twice in the middle of sparring bouts. Good training lol

How did she get to brown belt? :psyduck:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kemper Boyd posted:

I usually have a beer after practice. Or two.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
my belt changed colors

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

:colbert:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kekekela posted:

Green belt is....judo?

ya judo. I was a white belt for about a year before my instructors decided I was no longer a danger to myself or others. :v:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been doing judo for a year and a half in Arizona (I really liked the club there) but I recently moved to SF for work. I started attending a club here recommended by one of my former instructor but this new place isn't really working for me. The instructors are obviously knowledgeable about judo but they're bad teachers. At my previous club, the classes were structured; we did warmups, some practice uchikomi to get loose and work on technique, then the teacher would focus on a specific throw for that day, demonstrating it multiple times, explaining common mistakes, showing counters, etc. He would then break us off into groups to practice the move and observe us, making corrections when needed, etc. Later we would do randori (with the teacher actively watching) to practice the move we learned that day.

The new club I've been going to lacks all this supervision and structure. After bow-ins the warmups are almost always done by brown-belts with many of the younger students goofing off. The uchikomi practice is normally done at a breakneck pace with no rest, to the point where 3 mins in you're so exhausted that your form breaks down. The instructors seem to have a hard time communicating the proper steps for a throw and rarely demonstrate it more then twice. After the "instruction" is done, they tell you to go practice it for 15 mins and wander off to talk with others instructors near the front desk. Randori is basically open mat, which I suppose is fine for the higher ranked students, but as a green belt I really wish I could get some critique from black belts while sparing.

tl;dr I'm thinking about switching clubs, possibly to jiu-jitsu. This is a long shot but does anyone have any experience with the Gracie jiu jitsu clubs in San Francisco (in particular the one on Taraval St. which I live close to)? I've heard that Gracie places are generally good but also more corporate (you have to buy their gi or something)? I plan on walking and and observing a class tonight to see what it's like.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
wow that came off very rantish, sorry bout that

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Had a trial class today with the gracie juijitsu place near me and it went really well! Everyone was really chill and the two blackbelt instructors were really good at explaining everything. After doing judo so long it feels really wrong to grab peoples legs but i guess i'll get use to it. Not exactly thrilled about having to buy a new gi and sign a contract but I think this place will work out way better for me then the judo gym I was going to.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

n3rdal3rt posted:

Anyone have suggestions for a good medium/heavy weight karate gi? I'd like it to be able to hold up to a little bit of grappling but nothing intense.
I wouldn't be against suggestions for a good grappling gi either. I don't like looking like a NASCAR so most BJJ gis are probably out.

i bought a fuji double weave gi its held up really well

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
ahh the goku method

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
my old judo club did dodgeball warmups and i miss them :smith:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ultragonk posted:

Finished my first ever lesson of judo yesterday and have a question for judo people. When does the hurting stop?

the first month or so is rough but it goes away once your body gets used to it

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A thing that has really helped me is keeping a journal. After class I spend 5 mins and writing down what we covered (plus any insights) that session. Before the next class (normally on the subway to it) I glance though it to see what we did in the previous few classes. I can't tell you the number of times I've looked though my notebook and said "oh ya, i remember that now".

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kekekela posted:

reverse DLR, pretty comprehensible:

butterfly, trainwreck:

this is cool but where are the hitstun/blockstun numbers?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Messed up my ear yesterday rolling so I'm thinking about picking up a wrestling headguard. Any suggestions on brands/what to look for?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
re: mat burns, keep some neosporin in your gym bag and apply it after your session. it definitely helps with healing time.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
ive been going to the charles gracie club on Taraval an 18th st. for ~7 months and love it. The instructors are knowledgable and everyone is really chill

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
did ezekiel chokes today and holy gently caress is my throat sore

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
got accidentally socked in the jaw today while doing a pass, which i guess is my wakeup call to get a mouth-guard. any recommendations? bonus points if i can get it from amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
[ASK] us about getting choked by sweaty men in pajamas

• Locked thread