Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I've been having a back and forth with some friends recently about a subject I'm sure has been covered to death here, but I'd like to ask if anyone training or trained in BJJ or traditional JJ has any experiential reports of using the style in a street fight, especially against more than 1 opponent. We can't seem to decide just how real the threat of going to the ground is in modern society and I'd like to get some actual personal takes on the subject if anyone has any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I actually watched that earlier as I was perusing youtube for some footage of it. In essence it re-affirms what I've heard from several sources that you never want to go to the ground in a street fight. The point of contention is there are several interviews with the Gracie clan mentioning big streetfights and brawls wherein the Gracies' have just as much a reputation for dominance as they do in MMA. I'm trying to get some more evidence to either discount their bravado or re-affirm it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kekekela posted:

I'd check out Gracie Challenge and vale tudo if you haven't already.

Interesting, although Vale Tudo is 'mostly' no-holds-barred, it seems like its still relatively structured (no eye-gouging/biting/etc - the kind of stuff you'd expect in a street fight). I wish there was some examples/evidence of any sort describing group fights with BJJ practitioners (to touch upon the risk of ground fighting with other enemies present) along with street fighting risks like makeshift or purpose built weapons and true no-holds-barred.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Nierbo posted:

You might be surprised how little this actually occurs.

Not surprised per se, the dozens of youtube streetfight videos I've watched really don't have any biting and almost no gouging in them, so I concede its not a common thing. I suppose what I'm most getting at is: Is it because people don't regularly carry weapons (say pocket knives) on them, that styles like BJJ have come into their own as a product of the time we're living? I'm tying to reconcile how historical martial wrestling had much less ground-fighting than modern styles and the prevailing theory is up to relatively recently it was common for most people to carry some sort of utilitarian blade on them, which made grappling to the ground even more dangerous (not counting multiple opponents).

What i'd really like to do is go to a BJJ gym and take my rubber knives with me and do some sparring to see if BJJ methodology could adequately keep an opponent from going for the knife.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kekekela posted:

Where do you see this happening?

Renaissance era fight-manuals describe biting/eye-gouging/nut 'grabbing or ripping' as some of the main reasons/risks for grappling down to the ground. My discussion is in context between several members of my HEMA group.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

VulgarandStupid posted:

Eye gouging, fish hooking and scratching all take a hand to do. That hand, should really have higher priorities in terms of hitting, preventing from being hit, improving position or submission holding.

I've heard this argument and while i believe it has merit (especially for extremely talented/powerful strikers), it would seem that in that case it comes down to whether or not the defender can incapacitate the knife-wielder (with unarmed strikes) before the knife wielder, having already given up 1 hand to wield the knife, can deal a fatal wound with the weapon. Most of my pals seem to overwhelmingly put their money on the knife wielder.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

kimbo305 posted:

As for going to the ground, the ground is a great weapon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae8BXrwWLnM&t=30s

This is practically straight out of the aforementioned Renaissance era fightbooks (the prevailing directive being grapple to dump your enemy as forcefully as possible to the ground on their head). Those last punches were even unnecessary, as the guy was out when his head hit the asphalt. Great find.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Novum posted:

Why does someone asking questions like this own a set of rubber knives?

They're holdovers from some earlier self-defense classes I took a decade ago. I use them when we want to go 100% since you don't have to pull your attacks or avoid the eyes, but I admit they are a poor analogue for the real thing. We've got a variety of wood and blunt steel knife trainers as well, but it gets decidedly dangerous with a hard training tool since the fighting with those short range weapons is so atrociously furious, that things like chipped teeth and broken ribs start becoming unacceptably common.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wangsbig posted:

what self defense classes are letting people swing wood/metal pegs at each other 100% lol

The classes used the rubber knives. Only us crazy (HEMA) folk do the 100% wood/metal trainers. Also its less swinging and more thrusting. I am in no way saying that it is remotely safe.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Eat Bum Zen posted:

loving dicks, the same seizure that busted up my left arm apparently also gave me an anterior labral tear. Anyone know what the surgery/recovery for that's like? As it stands, my right arm is basically useless. I hope they'll operate only 2 months after we opened up the left one :(

I'm kind of imagining you like Deadpool after he tried to punch Colossus twice.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dude is currently on the run from authorities, though considering the recent government sponsored vigilantism, he should have just claimed the cyclist was a drug dealer and no harm-no foul.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Despite the questionable relevance, anyone know what kinda sentence this guy is looking at for Murder 2 over there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Siivola posted:

I like that they're wearing clothes.

Prude

• Locked thread