Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I just had my first BJJ class. Being 20 pounds heavier than the last time I did martial arts (I dipped my toes in judo and karate almost 2 years ago, but didn't pick up too much, and never went to any of the gradings), having no cardio, and still dealing with some minor injuries, I figured I'd take it easy and only participate in really simple, low-impact drills. Instead we started out having to pommel for underhooks as a warm-up (which probably would have been low-impact had the other people in class not had arms the size of my legs!), after which we started to throw each other around with a technique that looked like a combination of a trip and a sacrifice throw. Quite a difference from judo, where the first long while was all about learning how to fall; but then again, my friend and I were the only complete BJJ newcomers, so maybe there has to be more new people for the teacher to go through the basics step-by-step. Ground drilling was also a bit more freeform than I'd expected—we were just told 'okay, now get out from underneath side control', 'pass their guard', etc. The former was fine, but trying to pass someone's guard with zero guard passes in my arsenal didn't work out too well!

I was completely gassed at the end of the class, and I felt bad for my partner (a girl, who was the only one in class who didn't have a size/strength advantage on me) for the final roll, since I could offer basically no resistance beyond re-guarding and keeping my arms out of submissions. At the very end, I gave up my back, remembering that I used to feel pretty safe when turtled up in judo. Then I realized I was actually completely flattened out, and despite her going easy on me, I was way too fatigued to try to improve my position or even handfight her for more than a couple of seconds before getting RNC'd. But yeah, for those of you thinking of trying out martial arts and worrying about not being in shape, just go for it. I've been in full-on couch potato mode all year, but even when completely sapped of energy, it's pretty drat fun. Hoping to go again tomorrow, and maybe again on Friday. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
In my last BJJ class, we did some rounds of tachiwaza (is there a BJJ name for that?), which is something I hadn't tried since I managed to explode my foot doing it in judo 2 years ago. We practiced snapdowns right before the tachiwaza, but other than snapdowns (which is a brand new thing for me), pommeling for underhooks, and drilling a technique a couple of times in my first BJJ class back in November which I've completely forgotten, I haven't done any sort of standing grappling since my short-lived judo experience, so it was a bit intimidating. Somehow, I managed to reverse a guy who shot in on me by kinda, sorta sprawling, reaching over him, grabbing one of his legs with both of my arms, and then tricking people into thinking I knew some kind of neat technique by winding up in side control. In actuality, I have no idea what I did, but I would like to find out so I can perhaps do it again instead of ineffectually trying to force an osotogari on people way more athletic than me. Youtubing 'takedown reversal leg grab' didn't yield any results, but I'm almost sure I've seen something similar in one of the amateur wrestling highlights around here. I'm in Scandinavia, so my wrestling knowledge is just about non-existent.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

That's pretty common in wrestling but I couldn't give you a name for it. Also I take it you're taking BJJ with a gi. I'm mostly a no-Gi/MMA guy and this type of strategy drives me nuts.

I'm actually only doing no-gi at the moment. Gi classes here are only for people who have the fundamentals down, and although I've been signed up since November, I was inactive throughout December and January, so I'm still months away from getting choked out in new and exciting ways. Is it considered poor form to try to reverse shots? I'm usually one of the smallest--and definitely the most out-of-shape--person in class, and with zero takedowns outside of a sloppy osotogari, and no gi to grip onto, I feel like countering a Scandinavian double/single might be my sole avenue to not getting smashed.

Thanks to you both! The spladle throw was the one I lucked into, but I'll definitely try out the other technique if I can find someone to drill it with on Friday.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

Wanted to thank you for posting this question because lately I find when doing stand-up ( often just when rolling, not training since we don't often do much stand-up ) I'm never aggressive enough :smith: and will often get caught in a single leg and just kind of hop around hoping to throw the guy off balance/prevent him from kicking my other leg out from under me. That whole video with counters/reversals to single leg is great, can't wait to try out the Spladle and Khaberelli.

Happy to have been of service, however indirectly!

Thanks again for the videos. We did stand-up sparring again today, and while I did embarrassingly poorly, my entire day was made when I managed to do the spladle--intentionally! Of course, I was instantly reversed, mounted, and pinned after hitting it, but it was just nice to know it's there.

I might participate in a BJJ tournament in 2 weeks time. I had thought about signing up for the 2016 tourney if I could drop enough weight, but today I found out that I'd completely misunderstood the weight classes, and that in my current state--a skinnyfat 175-180lbs at 6 foot--I'd be about as heavy as can be for my category. Not sure if I have enough moves in my bag of tricks to do anything (I'd rather be mounted or side controlled than be in half guard, whether on top or on bottom; I have zero moves from there!) but gas out and get submitted, but it would be fun to not be at a size disadvantage for once.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Siivola posted:

I'm going to share this video for no particular reason beyond that it's 90 minutes long and I apparently really like to listen to old martial artists lecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpCt9JAAx18

Haueter says some similar things in this video, but the coolest part is his philosophy re: awarding someone a black belt. Also features a bonus appearance by Renato Laranaja doing his usual shtick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70CzAhMF4U

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Since you had helpful suggestions re: actual tennis elbow earlier in the thread, I'll ask a stupid recovery question:

I got sorta injured (it wasn't a dramatic thing with a ton of pain involved, so I hesitate to call it an injury) many months ago and didn't think much of it at the time, and the x-ray guy who I went to last week actually described it as something akin to tennis elbow. He wasn't super talkative or helpful, but recommended I definitely don't grapple or do excercise with it unless I could avoid making 'sudden moves', since apparently it's easy to tear or something. My issue is that my tennis elbow is in my hip (or in the muscles/joints that run from my thigh and up to my hip). Every time I feel like it might be getting better, something unavoidable like walking up too many stairs, carrying groceries or whatever seems to reaggravate it. It doesn't impact my day-to-day life at all outside of being annoying, but I trained with it when it felt like this around 4 months ago and had my hip feel like it blew out just from sprawling, so I'm weary of going back. Is there a specific type of exercise that might help it heal, or should I just wait around and hope my body decides to cooperate again someday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

See a physio? Curious that it would show up on a X-ray and that the radiologist would offer rehab advice.

I only speak and type in broken English, so it's possible that what I thought would translate to x-ray is actually called something different in proper English. To specify: The x-ray guy literally rubbed some weird goo on my leg, then ran some kind of remote control-looking device (which allowed him to see a scan of what was going on in there) up and down my leg until he found the afflicted areas. He knew the injury came from martial arts, and just offered sorta disinterested advice, saying that I could -try- to exercise or do martial arts but that one wrong move could gently caress the injury up real bad.

• Locked thread