Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've always liked judo kata, particularly the nage no kata. I like that it demonstrates the fundamentals of the different throws through a logically adaptive but idiotically persistent uke.

For example, the first set shows an attacker who pushes tori, leaning into him. When that doesn't work, uke attempts a striking attack at the top of the head. Third is similar to the first attack, but uke instead remains rigidly upright instead of leaning into the attack. Each throw in the sequence shows a new attack from uke and a different principle from tori to exploit the opening.

Plus there's all the metaphysical crap like discipline, coordination, balance, respect for the foundations of the sport..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
As a judo player, I'd love to supplement with one or two gymnastics lessons per week.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
All my worst black eyes have been from inadvertent head butts.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Just bring some tampons and don't worry about it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

hi liter posted:

Thanks friends. Yea I was ranked a while ago, but -100kg in the USA I'm pretty sure could be won by a skilled Japanese high schooler/mid range college player.

It feels good to never have to worry about ranks or promotions anymore, I can just train now without getting questioned for sandbagging my belt.

Do you ever run into Ajax Tadehara? I got my shodan with him several years ago.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Keg posted:

Get better at passing guard and accept that you're going to suck at passing guard until you don't.

Alternate strategy: get to your butt first and scoot towards them.

(Really though, just work on passing guard)

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Omglosser posted:

She doesn't like the idea of wearing one but I was trying to say that the Sisu might be a good start because it's advertised as being the least restrictive and smallest, making it the least annoying for someone to wear. But if it turned out to be a bullshit sales hook that offered little or no protection I was just gonna skip it and press her to get a regular one.

I use one. I hate wearing mouthguards and this one is definitely the lowest profile guard I've worn. I haven't taken any really hard hits in the chin or face (bjj and judo) but I also haven't received any damage from the hits I have taken. I still only wear mine about 50% of the time (mainly while working with whitebelts) but if I lost this one I'd order another without hesitation.

One bit of advice: if you live somewhere warm, be careful not to leave the guard in your car, it'll soften up and completely deform.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Barfed on a visiting blackbelt last night. Practice was pretty much over and he asked if I was up for one more round. Not going to say no, so
I went at it. 2 minutes later I'm in his guard and just lost it. Luckily it was all water, and I caught it all in my own lapel (classy like that). He seemed to think it was cool I went so hard but holy gently caress was it embarrassing.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I feel like that guy's reputation is starting to precede him and somebody's going to seriously hurt him and cause themselves problems.

That said anyone know where I can get a Team Zelenoff beanie?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
You haven't injured your upper back in the last few weeks? Like either hyperextended while rolling or strained while lifting?

VVV that's kinda what I was thinking, with the sudden onset and cessation. VVV

ihop fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 15, 2016

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Looking for gi suggestions. I'd like a gi I can use for BJJ and local judo tournaments. I've previously only bought judo gis, Fuji, Mizuno and Adidas. The last few fujis have worn out really quickly, and the mizunos and adidas don't fit me very well, short sleeves and long skirts. I'd like to get a BJJ gi that most resembles a judo gi. Specifically, looking for heavy cotton, minimal external adornment, and decent fit for a "normal" sized torso. Any suggestions?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I think I'm done with Fuji, last couple I had wore out too quickly.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It really depends on how tight the sleeves are. I've got a couple IJF-approved gis if I need, really just looking for a gi I can wear to either practice without getting too much poo poo from the judo guys.

I've seen some Fushidas and HCKs and they look good. Also considering the 'tank' gi from Tatami.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Jesus Christ

Serious lesson I learned: if you ever end up kicking someone's rear end, do NOT let them get back in their car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Decades posted:

So I have a funny problem - Muay thai makes me puke. A few times it’s been at the end of our regular striking class, which is mostly pad work and movement, and so not too big of a deal. Last week though I made my return to sparring after a long break and felt it welling up mid round, and after getting single legged had to hop up and suddenly run away while trying to give a thumbs up wearing boxing gloves, shedding pads in comedic fashion.

So my first thought is that I need to improve my cardio. Normally at the end of regular class it’s just because I’ve pushed myself really hard and have nothing left, so that’s understandable, but in the sparring class I wasn’t feeling so desperately gassed. I don’t recall taking any major body shots either. So exhaustion is probably one factor, but I’m sure nerves also played a role, and wearing a mouthpiece definitely makes things worse.

Grappling, wrestling rounds especially, has gotten me close to the vomit line a couple of times, but I’ve never crossed it. And in about 13 years of running it’s happened maybe once. But with striking and now sparring I fear it’s starting to become habitual. Is the only answer hill sprints and more sparring? I don’t really feel a huge cardio deficiency otherwise – I think I’m in decent shape and relatively efficient in my technique, and don’t really mind fighting gassed. But nothing forces me to slam the brakes like the prospect of barfing on my partner. I tend to eat a light snack in the hour or two before class after a big lunch earlier in the day, then sip a water or coconut water during. Sometimes I’ll manage a banana or bar in between classes, but I usually don’t feel like it or forget. So, what can be done here?

I get this too. I don't think it's really a matter of fitness. For me I'm pretty certain it's from drinking water during or right before the intense parts of practice. If I swallow even a couple ounces of water then jump back in I get a bit barfy a couple minutes later. Maybe try to stay generally well hydrated, especially practice days. During practice if you get thirsty rinse and spit water but try not to swallow any.

• Locked thread