Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widunder
May 2, 2002
I wouldn't roll for atleast 10 days or more with a new tattoo. Especially not in a gi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
Someone mentioned it a while back, but there's this weird dynamic between judo and BJJ dudes where Judokas have this defensive mentality toward BJJ while BJJ dudes just think judo is awesome.

As a lovely non-competing BJJ whitebelt, I'm highly envious of judokas because they're so loving non-hesitant in their techniques, specifically their takedowns. I can't do anything except lovely singles, some trips and pulling guard to save my life and I wish there was more of a throw culture in BJJ because throws are awesome and scary.

widunder
May 2, 2002

mindtwist posted:

After training bjj for about 3/4 of a month, I got the chance to work with a complete newbie a little bit and easily dominated him, it was a great comparison to see how helpless he was and how far I've come. I've gotten several hip and scissor sweeps on other whites, my armbar, triangle and collar choke defense has really come a long way, guard passing and keeping posture on top is getting better, but still no tapouts. I've come tantalizingly close to kimuras, armbars and rear naked chokes, but I still get too excited and make mistakes or they get saved by the timer. I know I'm still a baby learning to crawl and I shouldn't get discouraged, but it can be frustrating. Seeing someone new was a great reminder that I'm getting better and to keep focusing on the little improvements I make every class. A purple belt that uses me like a practice dummy said I have good instincts too, so that felt nice!
Keep it up! Sometimes you feel like you're hitting a wall because your training buddies also are evolving, tapping some newbies can be great once in a while.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Fontoyn posted:

whatever you do - don't become kettlebell guy. That one guy who hates on all over forms of exercise besides pushups and kettlebells
Add chin ups to that regiment and you're pretty much covered :cool:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Your gi smelling like piss I can understand, but who cares about blood stains? It's very :black101:

widunder
May 2, 2002
Any Dutch goons up in here?

I'll be relocating to Nijmegen next week and staying for the spring semester. I've been searching around for a BJJ / No-Gi place, the closest was in Arnhem (which might be a bit far to commute?) that only had two classes pretty late in the evening, and a Judo club which would be cool, but I'd have to get a judo gi and also, I'm just staying temporarily and then going back to BJJ when I get back home so I'd rather stick to something along those lines. Anyone know of anything else that might or might not have a website?

Oh and I realize going to Holland and not doing MT is dumb but it's not really my thing.

widunder
May 2, 2002

niethan posted:

Maybe they'd be cool with you using your bjj gi
i don't have space to pack it because i'm a w&w human being (i'd buy a new gi if i found a bjj place)

widunder
May 2, 2002

niethan posted:

send it by mail
I DON'T LIKE BEING THROWN ON MY HEAD ALRIGHT

gracie hug takedowns for life

Rhaka posted:

Have you looked at http://grappling.nl/ ? I train at their Utrecht location and it's pretty on the level, don't know the Nijmegen coach, though.
two classes per week :( i'm overdue for a new gi anyway so picking one up there is fine. i'll swing by and see how much it is and just supplement with kettlebell stuff at the university gym (which I think is free or atleast very cheap) if it's affordable.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Rhaka posted:

Pretty sure it's 40e for 1/week, 50e for unlimited in all towns. Yeah, weird pricing scheme.
Wow, €40 per week? That's outrageous. Too bad.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Syphilis Fish posted:

Try Judo, the Netherlands is pretty good at Judo, and straight up grappling is rare and downright terrible in most places to be honest. Avoid any places that just have mma classes, 70% of the time it will be kickboxing instruction + cardio and then you'll crapple with gloves on for a few minutes against people that don't know how to shrimp from under mount etc. The instructor never spars and is an old kickboxer.

With a BJJ background you will destroy most of the judoka's on the ground, but they generally practice it still, but judo competition is legit. There's a couple good places in the west, but Im not too familiar with east.
I got in touch with the Nijmegen coach who apparently is a purple belt and looked terrible in the two videos I found of him but who knows. €120 for the semester and a month free "if I get some student friends to sign up". It doesn't sound that great but I'll check it out anyway, maybe I can do it and judo at the same time. If the instruction isn't great, it'll at the very least be a nice way to keep up my general unfitness.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Going abroad to a country with a proper campus is awesome, and a state of the art sport center with loving EVERYTHING in it, judo included, for €45 for a semester is brilliant. First class yesterday, god drat the gis are big, even after washing them. Wish I would've brought my washed out Koral ;(

widunder
May 2, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Just keep using a dryer until it shrinks enough.
don't have one in the soviet block housing i'm currently in. might give it a 90C run...

widunder
May 2, 2002
Judo is brilliant and I love being ragdolled around like a loving child but MAN do they suck at newaza. I'm a lowly BJJ white belt yet managed to tap a few black belts in class. I try to have the most humble attitude ever about it as I didn't sign to go "haha we're better on the ground than you are", since I actually want to learn judo. But man.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Thoguh posted:

It also is going to very greatly from person to person. A black belt in Judo who is older and/or no longer competes? I wouldn't expect them to be great at BJJ. A younger black belt who is competing regularly? I'd expect them to be able to hold their own against blue belts under BJJ matwork rules and purple or brown belts under Judo matwork rules.
These were all pretty young dudes. The club seems to do reasonably well in competition, but it might just be a cultural thing probably. There was definitely some guys that gave me troubles, especially since they for whatever reason did not like me standing up from my knees in newaza (I have no idea about how rules differ). As far as newaza is concerned, what are the differences between BJJ and Judo? From what I've gathered, shoulder locks, any cranks, leg locks and cross-facing seems like a no-no?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Xguard86 posted:

the primary difference is that judo comps give very limited time for groundwork before you're stood up. So guys get really good at either finishing fast on offense or stalling for long enough to get stood up on defense. You just don't get a lot of time to work on the ground, so the game is less complex.

I don't know what you mean by standing up from your knees though? maybe because you're disengaging?
No idea, I was trying to pass his guard the regular old timey BJJ way, and as soon as I posted and stood up he gave me poo poo for it :confused:

Re: time limit, well, kesa gatame is basically the only position they seem to give any attention to on the ground (thus far) which is pretty understandable.

widunder
May 2, 2002

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Here is Andre Galvao getting upset with some guy in a competition, and going out of his way to embarass him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyvOTEz7-8E

edit: and here is the best sweep in human history http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJT_PgVgPY
I believe the dude kept reaping the knee?

That Ryan Hall sweep is boss. I got to say hi to him at last year's ADCC and specifically mentioned how it's basically on at a loop back home. He looked somewhat amused.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Just signed up for my first tournament (white belt BJJ) here in my temporary home of Holland, coming up in three weeks from now. Kind of nervous but mostly because I can't really train all that much (judo twice a week and some rolling in a neighboring city). I rolled today and was a flabbby 187,5 lbs afterwards (with gi), supposed to drop down to 181,5. Is that doable comfortably?

widunder
May 2, 2002

Syphilis Fish posted:

Where do you train? I know a couple of legit clubs for BJJ. Regardless, the level of BJJ isn't nearly as high as in say, the USA.
I live in Nijmegen. I'll be going to Den Bosch twice a week for classes the coming three weeks, I'm thinking that the judo and that should be enough. I have no idea what the level of competitors here are so it should be a nice introduction (I've never competed but trained for two or so years, but just twice a week or so).

widunder
May 2, 2002

Rhaka posted:

What tourney are you in? Saw a bunch pop up recently.
http://www.bjjholland.com/hbn/brazi...belts-only-bjj/

niethan posted:

Last week I lost three kilos in two days by just eating little for two days and not drinking anything the day before the weigh in so yeah it shouldn't be a problem at all to lose those six pounds in water weight alone even. If you actually diet down the coming three weeks it should be even easier.
Sounds good. I'm cutting all sugars and eat as few carbs as possible starting tomorrow.

widunder fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 4, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002
I had my first tournament after training for two years semi-regularly. Very happy with it, won three matches where I didn't look very good at all in retrospect (it's embarrassing watching videos of yourself) and then a powerful dude took me down and armbarred me really quickly ("sadly", believe it or not, the video of that got corrupted in my camera somehow). I especially should've been able to finish the second match. Overall the guys felt a lot less experienced but a great today so anyway, I've had a big hang up on actually competing in the past so it was really euphoric afterwards.

Videos were kind of out of focus somehow. I'm the blonde in the faded black gi.

First match

Second match

Third match

widunder
May 2, 2002

niethan posted:

Nice pass at :32 of the first match
Did you almost get caught in a reverse triangle there? OR were both your arms out?
Good job on the knee on belly, what I noticed is that mid transition at 1:38 you probably could have gotten an armbar. But then again you got one a couple seconds later on the other arm :D

Slick european double in the second match.
I like how you hold his left ankle with your left hand to pass at 2:02
Were you trying to go for a north south choke at 2:35?
Good sweep at 5:12
Thanks for you thoughts!

No, he just had my head squeezed in which led me to believe that he was very inexperienced probably (the audible sound as I put pressure from knee on belly kind of confirmed that, too).

It really wasn't a double at all, it was more a lovely non-committing attempt at a single (just like the ones I did in the third match, but there I was really just hoping that he'd start stepping back with the legs that I kept grabbing so I could go for an o soto gari on the other one) where he overreacted by doing a lovely guard pull that I could capitalize on.

Yeah I really gassed out my arms badly when I went for the NS choke. Stupid idea anyway since I've never managed to finish one in sparring, and barely the ezekiel either for that matter (but I got advantages for both I think so that's good), those two attempts are pretty much the reason I can't straighten my arms today :)

E: Had to double check on the 2:02 thing since I had no idea what it was in reference to, don't remember doing it either after watching, guess it's one of those things that came instinctually. I love it when things come instinctually. In the future, maybe I'll instinctually remember to sprawl...

For reference, I found the match I lost horribly and looked terrible in:

http://youtu.be/U0wEsyZ6Vw8

It's great and awkward to watch videos of yourself, once you get over the embarrassment you really pick up on your bad habits.

widunder fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 26, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

Hydrolith posted:

Well, I've just come back from trying out this BJJ place. It was... ok. I was expecting much more technique drills and less discussion of theory. I'd rather practise an escape twenty times with a partner than practise it about five times and then go on to the next thing.

Also, the second half of the class was straight aerobic exercise (jogging, burpies etc) followed by the instructor picking two guys to fight while the rest of the class watched. That's great and all, but I'm not learning much watching two guys fight, I'd rather be drilling the techniques...

Also, one of the guys got choked out. The gurgling noise he made scared the poo poo out of me, but it didn't phase anyone else (or him, when he came to).

I'm not sure. It seemed okay, but I think it'll take forever to build up technical muscle memory the way they're teaching.

Is that how BJJ is usually taught? More emphasis on theory than drills? A lot of the time was spent discussing tactics. Seems more useful for a higher-level class (this was a beginners' class)
The best way is to just ask what classes usually are like.

In my experience, a regular class at your bog standard BJJ gym would be warm-ups, technique drills and then sparring. Throw more acrobatics, hardcore workouts, (cf stuff, tabatas, body weight exercises with a partner) or stretching in the mix at your convenience.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Hydrolith posted:

We did a bit. After the drills, such as they were, he set an objective for the guy on top and for the guy on the bottom and told us to go at it. That's great and all, but I could barely remember the techniques we'd just done. Also, the problem was I was up against white belts. So it sort of devolved a bit. I'd like to go to one of the other classes and train with folks who actually know what they're doing, it'd probably be a lot better.
Don't count out white belts either. This may deviate at certain gyms, but as a rule, belt progression in BJJ is much, much slower than other martial arts. You can, like me, be a white belt for years. Not saying that people on my level are experts, but we can teach you a lot.

That said, always try to roll/drill against people better than you. That's how you learn. Breakdancing over dudes is fun and good for confidence once in a while, but try to always aim higher.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Ringworm in the face sucks. Eating pills and using expensive creams for two weeks to get rid of it sucks more. Getting residual bumps that the doctor suspects are ingrown hair that the ringworm got stuck in and now are weird and infected and won't go away sucks even more.

HYGIENE, PEOPLE!

widunder
May 2, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Getting it sucks but it shouldn't be that expensive. When I got it in my scalp a few years ago two weeks of oral Lamasil was like $20 even though I have high deductible insurance and had to pay the full cost. And Ketoconazole is like a nickel and almost as effective.

Going on 14 years of various grappling sports now, I know far more than I'd like to about fungus.
Yeah the actual fungus is apparently gone now, now I just need to figure out if there's anything I can do about the bumps except just rubbing with cleaning alcohol every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

Kumo Jr. posted:

Alan Belcher defeated Rousimar Palhares because of the 10th Planet system.
Belcher won because of his great leglock defense and due to Palhares being dumb.

• Locked thread